Kickstarter - Sherlock Homes Consulting Detective

facls

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
If you remember the old FMV Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series, its developer is trying to bring back its nine episodes for PC and mobile devices, going back to the original videos and presenting them uncompressed. You get all nine episodes DRM free for PC for 9 bucks and mobile versions for 50 bucks.

They are asking for 55,000. If they get much more than this, they'll make a new one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1920171553/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-adventure-mys

I remember playing and enjoying one of the episodes back in the day. The developer is also responsible for Shadowgate and Deja Vu, games which I played and enjoyed countless times back then.

I kinda wish they'd just go the interactive DVD route like Infinite Ventures did when they released the first three cases.
Seems silly that the mobile versions cost over 5 times as much as the PC version.

Also, make more? I wouldn't even want that. Unless they got the same actors, it would just feel really out of place.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Not necessarily hoping for big failures, but can't wait to see what happens when one (or many) of these projects don't deliver.[/QUOTE]

I expressed similar feelings in the Wasteland 2 thread. We are now going to see more and more people try and bring back a bunch of old games with no real intent to deliver a solid product. Considering the money that gets thrown at these games and that people can't get their money back (even with physical copies), it wouldn't surprise me if most developers used these schemes to pocket money for themselves and release a half-assed game.

[quote name='Vinny']I expressed similar feelings in the Wasteland 2 thread. We are now going to see more and more people try and bring back a bunch of old games with no real intent to deliver a solid product. Considering the money that gets thrown at these games and that people can't get their money back (even with physical copies), it wouldn't surprise me if most developers used these schemes to pocket money for themselves and release a half-assed game.[/QUOTE]
Considering how many established developers release half assed games nowadays that're glitched to hell and need to be patched eternally it's just absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not hoping that these Kickstarter projects fail perse, but hopefully they DO come through on at least some of what they're promising.

Hmm, funding isn't going well so far. This sounds like a great project, but we might be reaching that point where people are going to be cautious and wait out the funding until the deadlines. If too many people do that it seems as though the project won't be funded, so they forget it about it.

I feel a little bad because the promo video was very well done and they aren't asking for much money here.

[quote name='Vinny']I expressed similar feelings in the Wasteland 2 thread. We are now going to see more and more people try and bring back a bunch of old games with no real intent to deliver a solid product. Considering the money that gets thrown at these games and that people can't get their money back (even with physical copies), it wouldn't surprise me if most developers used these schemes to pocket money for themselves and release a half-assed game.[/QUOTE]

The ones I've seen linked here at CAG seem to be legit.

That having been said you are no doubt right Vinny. There is too much easy money involved, eventually there is going to be a Kickstarter videogame scam.

[quote name='camoor']That having been said you are no doubt right Vinny. There is too much easy money involved, eventually there is going to be a Kickstarter videogame scam.[/QUOTE]

Given that Kickstarter has been around for a couple of years now and has managed to remain mostly scam-free, it seems they are pretty good at weeding out the scams.

Also, the two large videogame projects involve people who have a track record of putting out good games. Such people I wouldn't expect to pocket the money and run. It is usually the people who don't have much to back themselves up that you should watch for.

Now, there is no guarantee that you will get a quality product out of Kickstarter. It is one of the risks when you put money in the planning stages. But, it does seem that most of the Kickstarters do deliver their products.

As for this, I wouldn't expect a huge demand for this, but they aren't asking for much either. The good thing is that they have plenty of time to make their pitch.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Given that Kickstarter has been around for a couple of years now and has managed to remain mostly scam-free, it seems they are pretty good at weeding out the scams.

Also, the two large videogame projects involve people who have a track record of putting out good games. Such people I wouldn't expect to pocket the money and run. It is usually the people who don't have much to back themselves up that you should watch for.

Now, there is no guarantee that you will get a quality product out of Kickstarter. It is one of the risks when you put money in the planning stages. But, it does seem that most of the Kickstarters do deliver their products.

As for this, I wouldn't expect a huge demand for this, but they aren't asking for much either. The good thing is that they have plenty of time to make their pitch.[/QUOTE]

http://nyulocal.com/on-campus/2011/...ival-prize-after-raising-1700-on-kickstarter/

If an NYC student can scam Kickstarter, just wait till a professional con artist gets a whiff of the thousands that can be raised from a page of promises and a couple of slick youtube videos.

I wish I was wrong, but it's human nature...

i really am getting tired of seeing the word kickstarter every damn day. fucking hell its becoming the new annoying catchphrase. itd be nice if someone did one with a classic console game in mind like streets of rage or maybe chakan the forever man but most of these kickstarter ventures ive never heard of due to not being a pc gamer. oh well wonder what tomorrows kickstarter game will be.

[quote name='camoor']http://nyulocal.com/on-campus/2011/...ival-prize-after-raising-1700-on-kickstarter/

If an NYC student can scam Kickstarter, just wait till a professional con artist gets a whiff of the thousands that can be raised from a page of promises and a couple of slick youtube videos.

I wish I was wrong, but it's human nature...[/QUOTE]

Not really a scam, since he made the film. He just happened to rip off someone else's idea. This fits into my last statement that quality (or originality) isn't guaranteed with this.

bread's done
Back