Kid shoots parents for taking halo 3 away....

DJHVIDAL

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5110323/teen-shot-...ok-away-halo-3

Prosecutors at the murder trial of 17-year-old Daniel Petric claim that the teen shot both of his parents, killing his mother, because they wouldn't let him play Halo 3.

According to prosectors, Petric, 16 at the time of the shooting, was forbidden to buy Halo 3 by his parents, Mark and Susan Petric. The teen snuck out to purchase the game anyway, and was caught by his parents upon his return. The game was locked up in Mark's lockbox, along with a 9mm handgun.

Mark Petric, a minister at the Life Assembly of God in Wellington, Ohio, testified that soon after on the evening of October 20th, 2007, his son entered the family room with a request.

"Would you guys close your eyes," Daniel Petric asked. "I have a surprise for you."

It was then that Daniel Petric allegedly shot both of his parents in the head, killing his mother instantly. Mark Petric survived due to the timely arrival of his daughter and her husband, who had arrived to watch a Cleveland Indians game.

It's just an amazingly heart-wrenching story, made even more so by the following exchange between father and son related by Mark Petric during testimony:

"Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel Petric said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Mark Petric responded. "You're my boy."

Lawyers for the accused delivered a brief statement at the opening of the trial, explaining that their client had be under a large amount of stress after being homebound for a year due to a snowboarding accident with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

I really don't know what to think about this case. The parents were doing what I always suggest parents do, monitoring their son's gameplay and making sure he doesn't play what they don't approve of. Sadly in this case it backfired.

Without knowing more about the family - specifically about Daniel Petric - there's no real way of knowing why this happened. I suspect the boy's lawyers might have a point about being homebound for a year, especially if Daniel was an active teen, as the snowboarding incident seems to suggest.

It's a tragic story that really leaves me with conflicting emotions. On one hand, the fact that a teenager can feel so entitled to something that he'd kill for it worries the hell out of me. At the same time, the fact that the father can forgive him for what he had done is a strong testament to the power of both family and forgiveness. Interpret it how you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight, the kid was bored, parents wouldn't let him play halo, so he shot them.

Sounds completely logical to me.:roll:

You guys are missing the big picture.

What would have happened if the gun was in one lockbox and Halo was in the other? Would the kid choose the gun or the game... I would like to present this to the court and have a trial experiment with another family.

Kid was messed up in the head, and the parent didn't effectively lock up his firearm.

It's horrible, but the parents did the right thing about the game, but it's a shame the kid somehow got into the lockbox that contained a gun.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Kid's fucked up. Bottom line?[/quote]

Agreed. IMHO, there's really no other excuse. You're stuck in the house for a year. Boo fucking hoo. Only crazies shoot people over something like this.

Is the kid fucked up, hell yeah. I want to know why he was not allowed to play Halo 3.

It says his father is a Minister, and if his father is some religious freak who tries to ban every form of violence (or try to be super overprotective) then well while horrible I could see a situation where he went crazy.

Now if the kid did something wrong and then got punished where he could not buy Halo 3 (as of sneak out and buy it) then that scares the fuck out of me, and the kid should be punished severely.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Cabin fever is a terrible defense.[/quote]

I know, right? Read the whole thing, too, it makes it worse. He was house-bound because of a SNOWBOARDING accident. Wow..Terrible life... Snowboarding, television, and video games...What a little shit...

The judge should order to stick 'em with a frag grenade while a 15 year old calls him some sort of racial slur over and over and then teabags 'em after he's dead..He wanted Halo so bad..Let's give it to him!

Everyone's at fault here - the kid & the parents. Obviously, the kid's a lil shit who deserves to be Bubba's anal bitch for the rest of his life but parents also were a bit to blame. Setting aside the fact that the father is a preacher (and presumably advocates non-violence), putting Halo 3 inside a case where a gun is also wasn't the brightest idea. And before anyone claims hindsight, think about it. Firstly, the kid obviously wanted Halo, bugging his parents all the time so of course he's going to go around the house searching for it. It's inevitable that he would happen upon the case. Secondly, if you're gonna have a gun in the house, at least have the mental foresight to lock it up where only responsible adults can get to it - a safe w/ combination lock, not a lockbox that could be easily be broken into; that defeats the whole 'safe handling' aspect of guns. Lastly, instead of holding that copy inside the house (thus giving him an excuse to rummage the house), the parents should have brought it back to the store he bought from or if they won't take it back, sell it to Gamestop or some other 2nd hand store. If it was too late in the evening, put it in the closet but not inside the same damn case as the gun. THINK, MCFLY, THINK!

"Lawyers for the accused delivered a brief statement at the opening of the trial, explaining that their client had be under a large amount of stress after being homebound for a year due to a snowboarding accident with nothing to do but watch television and play video games."

Pathetic.

[quote name='Froogin']Woah, seriously? That's fucked up. No video game's worth killing a parent over.[/quote]

It wasn't really the video game. It was just simply the last straw. The kid already had issues and was fucked one in head one way or the other. Hell if it was a delicious chocolate cake that he really wanted to eat that was locked away and kept from him rather than the game, probably would have had the same result.
Most kids have that "I wish you were kid mom/dad" moments, some just don't have that part in their brain that goes " yea but don't try to kill them dumbass."
Bottom line, fucked up kid fucked up.

Sad thing is that this is the end all for this kid's life.
He won't be in jail forever especially since he's a minor but with no doubt the rest of his life will not be a great one.
I don't see the possibility of anyone that shot and kill their mother and tried to kill their dad like that will ever have a nice old happy life.

Anyone wanna recap now?

I can only remember the dumbass that let the kid shoot himself with an uzi. I think total there's like 4 now? no?

[quote name='billyrox']terrible. absolutely shocking[/QUOTE]

shocking? seriously? haven't you read any newspapers? Guy decapitated some stranger sitting next to him on a bus in canada? Welcome to the world

I have to agree with others, he would have snapped sooner or later . Probably drop a spoon from some pudding and flip the fuck out, just happened to be Halo

[quote name='jaykrue']Everyone's at fault here - the kid & the parents. Obviously, the kid's a lil shit who deserves to be Bubba's anal bitch for the rest of his life but parents also were a bit to blame. Setting aside the fact that the father is a preacher (and presumably advocates non-violence), putting Halo 3 inside a case where a gun is also wasn't the brightest idea. And before anyone claims hindsight, think about it. Firstly, the kid obviously wanted Halo, bugging his parents all the time so of course he's going to go around the house searching for it. It's inevitable that he would happen upon the case. Secondly, if you're gonna have a gun in the house, at least have the mental foresight to lock it up where only responsible adults can get to it - a safe w/ combination lock, not a lockbox that could be easily be broken into; that defeats the whole 'safe handling' aspect of guns. Lastly, instead of holding that copy inside the house (thus giving him an excuse to rummage the house), the parents should have brought it back to the store he bought from or if they won't take it back, sell it to Gamestop or some other 2nd hand store. If it was too late in the evening, put it in the closet but not inside the same damn case as the gun. THINK, MCFLY, THINK![/QUOTE]

I can't agree more. Also seeing how the kid did this he didn't need to play Halo anyway. I don't think parents should keep sex and violance away from their kids but they should let them see it. I think it all depends on the kid and the parent should judge if their kid can handle stuff like that however this is coming from someone who does not have kids. In this guys case I don't think he could handle games like Halo and the parents were in the right to take it away from him. However puting it in the box with the gun was not a smart thing to do. However at 16 I would think he should be able to play and watch what ever he wants. I really think this kid should get the death pinalty for this however he wont. He will chances are get years in prison then get out and never get a job because he killed his mother and tried to kill his dad. So then he will end up stealing and buying and selling drugs. He will have no usefull part in the world.

When I was a teen, I bought Street Fighter II for the SNES without my parents' permission. When they took it away, I threw a Hadoken at my dad.

I'm glad he blocked it with his forearm, or I might've ended up like this kid.

Seriously, though, sounds like a really entitled kid taking things too far.

[quote name='HowStern']The judge should order to stick 'em with a frag grenade while a 15 year old calls him some sort of racial slur over and over and then teabags 'em after he's dead..He wanted Halo so bad..Let's give it to him![/QUOTE]
:lol:

Hmm. I missed this thread/story.

Well, his dad is a minister.. soo.. yeah.. prolly another crazy religious family and the son finally lashed out.
It's tragic. :(

[quote name='Irukandji']He was convicted today. I also just realized that he lives about 3 minutes away from me. I thought he looked familiar.[/quote]:cold:

Looks like the actual 911 call was recorded and posted up on Youtube.
Apparently the shooter's sister, daughter of the victims, arrive shortly after the shooting had taken place, and called 911.
Word of warning though, it's an extremely horrifying and frightening thing to listen to.
It's easy to take this kind of thing lightly and throw some sarcastic jokes around when it was just some news post with facts on it.
But when you listen to the daughter of the victims hysterical crying over the phone trying to get help for her parents, it just takes all the words away from your mouth.
It makes it hit that much closer to home.
So i don't advise listening to it if don't want to get further disgusted by this unfortunate event.
This was truly sad and sickening to me, I don't know these people but i truly hope they find some peace.

[quote name='supraazn']Looks like the actual 911 call was recorded and posted up on Youtube.
Apparently the shooter's sister, daughter of the victims, arrive shortly after the shooting had taken place, and called 911.
Word of warning though, it's an extremely horrifying and frightening thing to listen to.
It's easy to take this kind of thing lightly and throw some sarcastic jokes around when it was just some news post with facts on it.
But when you listen to the daughter of the victims hysterical crying over the phone trying to get help for her parents, it just takes all the words away from your mouth.
It makes it hit that much closer to home.
So i don't advise listening to it if don't want to get further disgusted by this unfortunate event.
This was truly sad and sickening to me, I don't know these people but i truly hope they find some peace.[/quote]

Link?

bread's done
Back