Kidrobot / Vinyl Collectibles - Deals & Discussion

etcrane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Hi guys,

I'm not the biggest vinyl figure collector out there, but I do enjoy many of the sets released by Kidrobot and other companies. In particular I think the new Family Guy and older Simpsons & Futurama sets are very cool. I was curious if anyone else on CAG collects vinyl figures and if so, I was thinking this thread might be a good way to trade tips and alert everyone to potential sales.

These figures are normally rather pricey and being blind boxes + chase figures, it makes it tough to collect them all. So if anyone has any experience with box layouts, tips for finding certain figures, etc ... it would be awesome to hear about it here!

Just some reference material for anyone who might be new to vinyl figures and interested in Kidrobot -

http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/
Toys_large_FEATURE1_20899.png

Retailers where you can find Kidrobot products

Comic and Specialty Shops
Urban Outfitters
Possibly bookstores - Borders?
Amazon.com
Various trendy boutique shops

So yeah, just throwing this thread out there, feel free to post if you guys are into Kidrobot stuff too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a follow up, here is some data on the latest KR Series -

FGKR (Family Guy Kidrobot)
http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/MiniFigures/FamilyGuyMiniSeries3Inch.html
FamilyGuyMiniSeriesbr3Inch_large_image10_21444.jpg

Sample Layout (Note this is one variant, others exist)
Grid-1.jpg

Retail - $9.95

Sale - Currently on sale (http://frozenempiretoys.com/sales.html) for $6.95 (4-1-2011)

The Simpsons Series 2
http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/MiniFigures/TheSimpsonsMiniSeries23Inch.html
TheSimpsonsMiniSeries2br3Inch_large_image8_19234.jpg

Grid.jpg

Retail - $9.95

Futurama Series 1
http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/MiniFigures/FuturamaMiniFigures3Inch.html
FuturamaMiniFiguresbr3Inch_large_image8_1168.jpg

futurama.jpg

Retail - $8.95

Futurama Series 2

TBD (Possible ComicCon release)

Southparkl Series 1

TBD

Nice thread. I began collecting Futurama vinyls two summers ago when I frequented the KR store in SoHo. I'm looking forward to the second series as trying to get the chase figures that I am missing will cost too much of a fortune.

I'm a bit out of the loop about vinyls but I hope to get back into the scene soon.

I remember when Kidrobot didn't cost you an arm and a leg for a stationary vinyl piece. When I started collecting 8" Dunnys were $20. Now they are around the price of $70-80. The small box figures used to be $5. I have a couple pieces of vinyl in my sale thread if anyone is interested. My prized possessions though are my 8" Redrum Dunny and Signed print #2/5 by Frank Kozik. Those aren't going anywhere.

Some tips on buying

-Join forums to get better deals on pieces your missing
-Avoid stores like Urban Outfitters. Most of them overprice the product and previous customers have already gone through the stock leaving nothing but commons.
-Make sure those boxes are sealed with the glue and not tape. If theres tape on there then the blind box has already been opened
-In most cases buying a case is the cheapest option of buying and you can sometimes sell your duplicates upon the same day release
-If you enjoy going to the toy releases bring some extras of other figures you have. In lines a bunch of collectors like to trade off what they have for what you might have. Also just because one artist may be signing there doesn't mean others won't show up. (Happens a lot at the SF Kidrobot store.)

[quote name='Spanky']I remember when Kidrobot didn't cost you an arm and a leg for a stationary vinyl piece. When I started collecting 8" Dunnys were $20. Now they are around the price of $70-80. The small box figures used to be $5. I have a couple pieces of vinyl in my sale thread if anyone is interested. My prized possessions though are my 8" Redrum Dunny and Signed print #2/5 by Frank Kozik. Those aren't going anywhere.

Some tips on buying

-Join forums to get better deals on pieces your missing
-Avoid stores like Urban Outfitters. Most of them overprice the product and previous customers have already gone through the stock leaving nothing but commons.
-Make sure those boxes are sealed with the glue and not tape. If theres tape on there then the blind box has already been opened
-In most cases buying a case is the cheapest option of buying and you can sometimes sell your duplicates upon the same day release
-If you enjoy going to the toy releases bring some extras of other figures you have. In lines a bunch of collectors like to trade off what they have for what you might have. Also just because one artist may be signing there doesn't mean others won't show up. (Happens a lot at the SF Kidrobot store.)[/QUOTE]

Good deal dude! I've always wanted to start getting into collecting and designing these (I have a lot of friends that have been doing these for awhile) but never got around to it. I always end up spending my money on video games and traveling. lol

I dislike the idea that you don't know what you're going to get in the box and would essentially end up with multiple dupes.

The Futurama ones look dope!

[quote name='def PD'] I dislike the idea that you don't know what you're going to get in the box and would essentially end up with multiple dupes.
[/QUOTE]

But that's part of the allure of it all! I've been burned before (Bought 5 Futurama figures and got 3 Lela's :whistle2:#) but the experience of opening up blind boxes is just plain awesome.

I bought 2 boxes of the Family Guy figures and the quality seems to a bit off compared to the Futurama series. The Peter figure especially as it looks like they just glued down his enormous head.

[quote name='Spanky']I remember when Kidrobot didn't cost you an arm and a leg for a stationary vinyl piece. When I started collecting 8" Dunnys were $20. Now they are around the price of $70-80. The small box figures used to be $5. I have a couple pieces of vinyl in my sale thread if anyone is interested. My prized possessions though are my 8" Redrum Dunny and Signed print #2/5 by Frank Kozik. Those aren't going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I was just checking prices and was blown away, the 3 inch figures are $10 a pop, the 8 inchers are $70 and up. When I was collecting the prices were half that. I really don't know how anyone could afford to collect these anymore. not completionists at least.

If you're looking for selection/ lower prices, are you on the KR forums? That's the biggest place to buy toys. Otherwise, members of rotocasted often list their stuff or you could comment on a toy you like that you want to buy and someone might offer to sell you one. (Rotocasted is changing servers at the moment so it's currently down, but should be back up soon.) As for toy shops, there's so many that it's hard to compile a list of who has what sales. If you want to try to keep up to date on sales, you might want to check out the toy blogs. I read spanky stokes every day, and am on at least three toy forums. Spanky does a good job of alerting people to sales. I know happy panda toys is having a pretty good sale on a lot of vinyl right now. Wizard sleeve toys is also running a sale. Neon monster has some good prices on some things that cost twice as much other places (ex: cavy the hamster).

[quote name='Kamera']Anyone know any decent discounts on mini-munnys (and trikkys, raffas, bubs, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

Local shop would be your best bet. Otherwise, with their munnyworld contest, they're buy 1 get 1 50% off at KR but shipping will cost you. Undergroundhiphop.com sells some of that stuff and has decent shipping costs. I know they're out of bubs and 7'' munnys (both are half off).

Pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't find picking up complete sets of the Futurama and Family Guy sets. Anyone know of an online retailer that has decent pricing on sets?

I've always been interested in these, but the price and random grab of them has always turned me off. The Marvel Might Muggs had a pretty good run here on CAG until they were discontinued. I've got plenty of those and will keep an eye here for some deals on these.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't find picking up complete sets of the Futurama and Family Guy sets. Anyone know of an online retailer that has decent pricing on sets?[/QUOTE]

I've seen an entire Futurama series set go for $250+. The chase figures are the most expensive as the Robot Devil figure can sell for over $100 by himself. You might be able to get all the other figures for less than $100 on eBay which isn't bad considering each blind box costs roughly $10 and it eliminates the chance of getting duplicates.

I haven't been keeping tabs on the Family Guy series but I believe they are a bit cheaper to buy on eBay compared to Futurama. It must be because FG was just released.

I use to collect Fatcaps, but the costs just go to be to much for me to maintain my collecting habits.

Although i did happen to get a Toofly 6" Golden ticket before i quit collecting. Got most of the series 2 fatcaps sitting at my desk with that one.

I do miss getting a couple blind boxes when i would buy comics every week. Having the excitement of opening it and seeing what i got. :(

At this point i just keep up with the artists and their work.

UPCOMING EVENTS
KIDRIOT Signing Tour
with MAD

MAD_KidRiotSigning_Postcard_FRONT.jpg

Kansas City-based artist, MAD will be locked and loaded as he deploys on a three city tour for the launch of Kidrobot 19: KidRiot. This cross-country mission will infiltrate Kidrobot Los Angeles on Thursday, May 12, San Francisco on Friday, May 13 and Miami on Saturday, May 14. All three events will go from 6-8pm.

More details and photos here - http://kronikle.kidrobot.com/product-preview-kidrobot-19-kidriot/

Really like this figure, probably going to grab it at the SF event. Anyone have any idea how much these tend to go for After Market? I checked eBay for Kidrobot 1-18 and didn't find much, do they usually just disappear after their run? I'm assuming they hold their value pretty well?

Hmm, check these out ... a few preview pics of new 2011 sets - not all of these are kidrobot, but they look cool ...

I'm a big Joe Ledbetter fan, love his designs ... hoping that Kidrobot might sell these in their stores and on the website, not sure if they'll carry them though ...

chinese_zodiac_group_promo.jpg

The much talked about South Park x Kidrobot Series ... 1st pics!

south-park-2.jpg

south-park-ron-english-1.jpg

south-park-1.jpg

south-park-3.jpg

Also, currently Dunny Series 2010 cases are on sale at the Kidrobot website for 30% off -

http://www.kidrobot.com/Toys/MiniFigures/DunnySeries20103Inch.html

DunnySeries2010br3Inch_large_image1_16934.jpg

The JLED zodiac figures are produced by Play Imaginative (like his most recent releases). If you're in San Francisco, surely you're surrounded by other places to buy toys. If not, just do a google search. The zodiac figures can be pre-ordered at a ton of places right now.

I really like the blind box kid robot stuff. I've got a few family guy, futurama and Simpsons. I like the random nature of the boxes, it's like baseball cards. I have death and slurps chase. I am def going to pickup the south park and zodiac ones. The only place i buy them is from kid robot.com. I have never seem them in store, I don't live in a place like new York or San Fran. I also have gotten a few Disney toy story vinyls for my kids.

Edit: I pre ordred zodiacs for all my family member signs, I also saw a NBA vinyl series I had never seen before with my fav player, so picked that up.

I've been collecting KR Dunnies for a while but also stopped because of the high cost. Maybe I'll start up again using this thread as my inspiration. I'm lucky to have pulled some chases in my time of collecting, the most notable being a huckgee.

Just a few updates on new stuff that's out and coming soon - PLUS all shipping on Kidrobot.com is $5

Coming on May 26th for $100 (these two look cool!) -

HuckGeeRakuwithHat_large_image1_23958.jpg

HuckGeeRakuwithMask_large_image1_23982.jpg

Out Now - SPK2 Mini Series - $7.95 each (not really feeling these, but that's just me)

SPK2MiniSeries_large_image3_24017.jpg

SPK2MiniSeries_large_image7_24033.jpg

And finally KidRiot is sold out ... alas, didn't make it down to the signing and get one, but that leaves me $60 richer to buy something else ;)

bread's done
Back