Killzone Review up on IGN

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='whoknows']Meh, doesn't matter I'm still going to get it becasue I got the demo and liked it a lot and there is no way the final game is worse than the demo.[/quote]

You should be careful, just because the demo is good does NOT mean the game is good. Often times developers put their resources into the early levels of games and make them look and feel fantastic. But they sometimes run out of time and are unable to make the whole product as good as its early parts. Case in point: MGS 2. This is not some fanboy rant or anything against MGS2 and I don't wanna start a flame war but I think most people were dissapointed with the final product because many tried the very well done demo. The first part of the game has destructible environments with small details all over the place but when you get to the plant section all the textures feel about the same, you play as RAIDEN, there is a LOT less interaction with the environment, and a lot more running back and forth between similar looking rooms (I won't even go into the storyline...). The whole game did not have the same sort of polish that was put into the early part that was used for the demo so at least keep your mind open that your demo of Killzone may NOT be representative of the final product.[/quote]

SO you're saying that the whole Raiden switcharoo and the storyline came about because the developers ran out of time/money? :lol: You know Kojima planned it right? It wasn't like "Oh no! We have a deadline coming up! let's just put this blond guy here instead of snake. we'll just make up some new villians! I got it : The Patriots!" After the success of the first metal gear, he had all the time he wanted to work the kinks out.

Killzone, on the other hand, had a strict deadline. They wanted it out in time to "compete" with Halo 2. They rushed it out before it was ready.
But MGS 2 was meant to be that way.[/quote]

I'm not saying that your theory of them rushing Killzone is wrong, but where do you find these facts? I get gaming mags that cover and everything and I also get PSM, and I haven't seen anything like this theory.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

LMAO, did anyone actually believe that? :lol:[/quote]

Yes, Halo-Killer. As if, with 40 million units sold, the Playstation needs a system seller or needs (or is able) to compete with Xbox in the FPS genre. Why even make the allusion....[/quote]

Seriously, I mean, if Sony can sell the shit out of their systems, who the shaq-fu needs good games?[/quote]

:rofl: you should write for leno

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

Yes, Halo-Killer. As if, with 40 million units sold, the Playstation needs a system seller or needs (or is able) to compete with Xbox in the FPS genre. Why even make the allusion....[/quote]

Seriously, I mean, if Sony can sell the shit out of their systems, who the shaq-fu needs good games?[/quote]

:rofl: you should write for leno[/quote]

Wait, punq laughing at one of MY posts? This has to be sarcasm...

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='BigNick']LMAO, wasnt this suppose to be the Halo killer?[/quote]

:rofl: you should write for leno[/quote]

Wait, punq laughing at one of MY posts? This has to be sarcasm...[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it is. Leno has some of the worst jokes I've ever heard. But hey, I'm not speaking for punq.

[quote name='helava']Sounds like most people didn't play the demo. From what I played, I enjoyed it, but it had some pretty serious problems. For a good portion of the first level, you never see an enemy close up at all. You're shooting at half-inch tall silhouettes. I got stuck on a piece of geometry, and had to start the level over.

The scripted sequences can be interesting, but the AI is as dumb as a rock. The graphics are great when they're working properly, but there are enough graphical glitches and flat out f**kups to break the illusion so often that it's hard to feel immersed in the game.

The worst part, IMO, though, is that say, on the second level, you have a choice of what character to play. But you all play through the same level. So if you're the stealth girl, you go through the one vent there. If you're the gunner guy, you just shoot a whole bunch. Had Guerilla focused purely on making one particular level awesome for one character, I think it would have been a much better game. As it is, it's pretty horribly flawed. You choose the stealth person, then have to find the stealth path. The interesting thing about having these kinds of options is seeing what is available, *then* choosing how to approach the situation. Not the other way around.

I might consider getting this when it's $20. I have no doubt the hype alone will drive this to GH status. But this is the kind of game that competes with MoH: Rising Sun, not Halo.

seppo[/quote]
Well, it was a demo. Some of that stuff could have changed in the final version.

[quote name='punqsux']
Hype did not influence this review.

too bad the same cant be said about the gta:sa review or the soon to come halo 2 review...[/quote]

I can't agree more about the crazy 9.9 GTA:SA review. I played it for a few hours and promptly traded it. There are just too many problems to ignore. While it may not effect some, it really takes me out of the game.....

GTA SA is awsome. i dunno y some people have to have a sad face about something..name me one great game that didn't have a defect? (dont give me any NES game)

plus killzone was supposed to b the halo killer...u kinda gotta do better thn that to b a halo killer..

[quote name='Jaxcomet'][quote name='punqsux']

too bad the same cant be said about the gta:sa review or the soon to come halo 2 review...[/quote]

I can't agree more about the crazy 9.9 GTA:SA review. I played it for a few hours and promptly traded it. There are just too many problems to ignore. While it may not effect some, it really takes me out of the game.....[/quote]

Maybe you're just a horrible monster.

[quote name='Jaxcomet'][quote name='punqsux']

I can't agree more about the crazy 9.9 GTA:SA review. I played it for a few hours and promptly traded it. There are just too many problems to ignore. While it may not effect some, it really takes me out of the game.....[/quote]

I think this is just a case of a few ppl not liking such a great game. There's always gonna be ppl who dislike any game in the whole universe.

LMAO he even posted his address.

and I love how they all assume he is an Xbox fanboy, when he used to write for the PC channel and the only game he constantly talked about was Battlefield

I wish I had reviewed if for them. I'd lower the score on it by .1 for every email I had to deal with such as that.

[quote name='Scorch']There was apparently so much backlash and claims that IGN reviewed an unfinished code that they had to post a rebuttal!

http://ps2.ign.com/mail.html

Some people just can't accept the fact that Killzone flopped..[/quote]

Wow. I mean when I saw a few of the talked up features being cut from the game I kinda caught on to the fact it wasn't going to profoundly groundbreaking or live up to the hype. And speaking of hype didn't anyone notice that even Sony backed off the hype in the last few months? I think I've one Killzone commercial...maybe. They aren't even pushing the hype/promotion machine that hard and to me that signals that the company probably know the game won't be anything outstandingly spectacular.

Was that Area 51 statement sarcasm? I mean, being a Halo Killer and all? Because, if anyone has played the demo, I'd have to say it's definately on par, if not above par with the original Halo, which is pretty damn amazing if you ask me. The graphics were kickass, the enemies were great, I didn't really look at the AI too much, but they didn't seem too dumb (Then again, they are aliens). I mean, the game looks great.

[quote name='CocaineReaver2k']Was that Area 51 statement sarcasm? I mean, being a Halo Killer and all? Because, if anyone has played the demo, I'd have to say it's definately on par, if not above par with the original Halo, which is pretty damn amazing if you ask me. The graphics were kickass, the enemies were great, I didn't really look at the AI too much, but they didn't seem too dumb (Then again, they are aliens). I mean, the game looks great.[/quote]

No. I'm serious. Area 51 will be a MAJOR contender next year.

Um... okay?

[quote name='nickmad']area 51 is going to be awesome. ive played the demo liek 30 times[/quote]

Word. That demo is sweet. I'm gonna pick up Area 51 for full MSRP.

[quote name='Scorch']There was apparently so much backlash and claims that IGN reviewed an unfinished code that they had to post a rebuttal!

Wow. I just read through that stuff (both the review and the mail responses) and all I can say is that this Ivan guy sounds like a real pretentious prick. In his mail responses, it looks like he goes of out his way to make himself sound witty, at the expense of not answering a damn question. Everytime someone makes a good point he either insults the individual or when he's at a loss for words he says "Trust whomever you will".

Then I find out this is the guy who wrote the Halo 2 story on IGN PS2, saying Halo 2 is the game that people should buy an XBOX for, and I'm dumbfounded as to why IGN let this guy review Killzone. Sure, it may not be as great as we all hoped for, but this Ivan guy stresses so many times that the "hype was false" and that "this is nothing like Halo 2".

A quick note: Notice that in his review Ivan actually reveals one of the twists at the end of the game. He goes on and one about how the game is full of glitches and slowdown. He mentions absolutely nothing about any of the levels. Is this something an unbiased reporter would do to his audience? Something is fishy about this review.

[quote name='Zoltek99'][quote name='Scorch']There was apparently so much backlash and claims that IGN reviewed an unfinished code that they had to post a rebuttal!

Wow. I just read through that stuff (both the review and the mail responses) and all I can say is that this Ivan guy sounds like a real pretentious prick. In his mail responses, it looks like he goes of out his way to make himself sound witty, at the expense of not answering a damn question. Everytime someone makes a good point he either insults the individual or when he's at a loss for words he says "Trust whomever you will".

Then I find out this is the guy who wrote the Halo 2 story on IGN PS2, saying Halo 2 is the game that people should buy an XBOX for, and I'm dumbfounded as to why IGN let this guy review Killzone. Sure, it may not be as great as we all hoped for, but this Ivan guy stresses so many times that the "hype was false" and that "this is nothing like Halo 2".

A quick note: Notice that in his review Ivan actually reveals one of the twists at the end of the game. He goes on and one about how the game is full of glitches and slowdown. He mentions absolutely nothing about any of the levels. Is this something an unbiased reporter would do to his audience? Something is fishy about this review.[/quote]

You can read this review if you prefer...the results are mostly similar.

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/killzone/562748p1.html

Cool. Thanks Duo_Maxwell. That was much better. Although it avoided talking about the various levels, it wasn't bombarded with intervening statements of the likes of "Not even close to a Halo-killer", "full of false hype". etc...

I felt much better about accepting Killzone as not being the "game to end all games", now that I read it from someone other than asshat Ivan.

Halo killer it's not, and Frankly I could give a crap if it is. I am disappointed if Sony didn't put 110% into the game, from the review it looks like it didn't, but I'll let myself be the judge of that since it's my opinion that maters, not some reviewers.

yeah i would love the age of some of those people who wrote in. I don't understand why people would feel that way about one persons opinion. they even gave it a pretty decent score.

Okay.. thinking about giving this one a go. Doing a four for one deal at Hastings, I figure that this would set me back $10 (four cheap games). I just don't know if it's worth it. I played it at EB (a demo build, though) and it looked pretty sweet. The graphics were nice, the action seemed intense, but apparently it just doesn't hold together or something. I've got about 12 hours before I make up my mind.. I'm probably going to pass on it anyways and get LOTR: Third Age for XBox :p

well I preordered it for next to nothing at Gamerush. I played the multiplayer with s friend and it was pretty fun. One thing I thought was neat was the ability to hide in bushes and ambush the other player.
Some problems here are that it seems a little choppy and its a little hard to see with the splitcreen view.

I started playing the first level which is devided into several sections. I beat the first few sections and thought it was pretty fun. One problem is the AI when you snipe a guy standing right next to another one he doesnt even notice.

Overall its a decent play. A good game if you can get it cheap like me. But definently not a Halo Killer.

This game has been so up nad down. First I read bad frame-rate and graphic glitches and horrible AI... then I am starting to see people enjoying it even though it is no "halo killer". I think this is just an over hyped game that probably needed a little less anticipation. Gamefly.

After reading the review, it sounds like many games that have gone before it...

...a good idea without the effort. If you want to kill Halo, you have to study it, take all of the good qualities, and then improve them. It must be easier said than done.

[quote name='Scorch']Okay.. thinking about giving this one a go. Doing a four for one deal at Hastings, I figure that this would set me back $10 (four cheap games). I just don't know if it's worth it. I played it at EB (a demo build, though) and it looked pretty sweet. The graphics were nice, the action seemed intense, but apparently it just doesn't hold together or something. I've got about 12 hours before I make up my mind.. I'm probably going to pass on it anyways and get LOTR: Third Age for XBox :p[/quote]

GO with third age, I cant get over how well the middle Earth atmosphere was put togother, from around 6-8 into this game, I would give third age a solid 89% maybe higher I dont know yet

Here's my scorecard so far for the season's "Big Games":

GTA:SA - Excellent
Paper Mario 2 - Excellent

Fable - Flop
Killzone - Flop

Halo 2 - ?
MetroidPrime 2 - ?

50% delivery rate so far...

i say thumbs down on killzone as a purchase (while i could see someone enjoying blasting through the game as a rental, in this time of competitve top-flight games it probably isn't a good use of gaming time)

i rented it from blockbuster, played about 20% of it and then got bored enough to return it

visuals are very nice but gameplay seems very linear (there seems to only be one way to go) and repetitive (how many grunts can i kill)

the choppiness is pretty intolerable (this is the only game i have ever played that seemed to make me physically nauseous)

Ya i also rented this game from Blockbuster.
The 1st level really impressed me both graphically & gameplay wise but it got stale quickly.

I give it a 3.0 at best if u own multiple consoles.
When there are at least 15 other fps's that are better there is Zero reason to buy this game unless it's $15 or less.

[quote name='Scorch']Okay.. thinking about giving this one a go. Doing a four for one deal at Hastings, I figure that this would set me back $10 (four cheap games). I just don't know if it's worth it. I played it at EB (a demo build, though) and it looked pretty sweet. The graphics were nice, the action seemed intense, but apparently it just doesn't hold together or something. I've got about 12 hours before I make up my mind.. I'm probably going to pass on it anyways and get LOTR: Third Age for XBox :p[/quote]

I don't think I could pass up on either for $10. :)

People always say there are a million better FPS's out there. I realize this would be your opinon, but I'd like to hear the best console FPS's. I've played most of this generation's and only enjoyed Halo and Killzone.

Crappy game or not. The TV commercial I saw was well done and made the game look sweet. They may get some extra sales because of it...

I played the game and it was okay. I got through the first couple of missions then realized how much I hate console FPSs.

I'll stick with my mouse and keyboard.

I got this game on the first day it came out, and I payed full price for it and haven't regretted it. I played the online for about a week to a week and a half before getting around to the single player. I just beat the single player campaign as I am typing this the credits are going by and I must say it was awesome. My only complaints about it are some graphical glitches every now and then, Hard mode wasn't hard enough and thats about it. Killzone 2 is being made last I heard and maybe coming out 2006, developers on the Playstation.com forums said it would definatley not be on the PS3 so it probably will be 2006. Opening Movie is the best or close to the best that I have ever seen.

bread's done
Back