Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='chimpmeister']Absolutely. The Fire should be great for game apps with its specs, and there are literally tons of great Android apps on the market. Plus you can browse the web and check email. It sounds like a fantastic device (and yes, I have it preordered from day 1 of announcement).[/QUOTE]I thought it wouldn't have the Android Market? Will it still have android apps?

I'd be all over this if I didn't have my Touchpad...I love Amazon and have Amazon Prime anyways. However, I think I'll be just fine with my Touchpad (overclocked to 1.9 GHz) since has a Kindle app too :)

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']They just spent a lot of money making an archaic version of Android into an OS that seems barely reminiscent of Android. Why would they then pay money to start over and rebuild an OS that doesn't alienate the consumer by going away from what they've already built when they can... just keep building from where they started with Android instead?

Besides, Amazon's Android-based OS isn't really going to do anything for Android since it won't connect to the Google Android Marketplace (re: "app store that won't get sued for being called app store"). Why would Amazon buying WebOS and stripping it down, then making it barely distinguishable from standard WebOS, help anyone with a Touchpad? Not to mention that the Touchpad is built on lower-performing specs than the Kindle Fire with a different form factor so apps won't translate unless Amazon decides to make it happen...

...which they wouldn't. They want you to buy an Amazon Kindle Fire. They don't want you sticking with subpar performance or fixing aspect ratio/resolution. They wouldn't DO that TO you. They'll give you tough love and make you give up that Touchpad EVEN if they did buy WebOS. They're doing it for your own good.[/QUOTE]

While I highly recommend the Kindle Fire as it looks great for a great price comparing it to the touchpad the way you just did is ridiculous.

You couldn't be any more wrong. For starters the touchpad is $100 vs $200 while memory and processor speed are top for Touchpad.
The kindle fire lacks Bluetooth, Cellular data and a camera. Then there is screen size hmmm wonder if the kindle owners will end up with "screen envy".

Anyway like I said I think the kindle fire is awesome and I would recommend it and I might buy one if I didn't already have a touchpad and a home with a tv and a bookshelf in it JUST KIDDING. Sort of it is all just a big toy and there is really no need for it for most people. But it is a cool toy and neat to have.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, the $79 Kindle does not have speakers or a headphone jack and so doesn't have text-to-speech.[/QUOTE]

really? that's lame. Just got an older version for $40 and loaded up some MP3's. Its nice being able to have that option

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not out the box, but with an app like this you can: http://www.amazon.com/Dynamix-USA-L...1?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1317518172&sr=1-1

there's probably others that are free or cheaper, I just picked the first off the list[/QUOTE]

Nice, exactly what I was looking for. Preordered one for my mom for Xmas. She likes her kindle and has arthritis so I figured she would enjoy something like this more than a laptop. She can read her books, check her email browse web and still print those pictures and coupons.

I am interested but it bothers me to have the tablet locked to only Amazon's store. I'd prefer Amazon and the regular store... not hearing great things about Amazon's store from the developer's end.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm sure whatever price they quote, amazon got it for a bit cheaper by buying in bulk, making deals and such.[/QUOTE]
Or not, and figure within 6-12 months the price on components will come down enough that they will start turning a profit.

Preordered mine as a "gift." If I decide I don't want it, I cancel. If it's in high demand, I resell. If it's good, I keep it.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Or not, and figure within 6-12 months the price on components will come down enough that they will start turning a profit.[/QUOTE]

In 6-12 months they have to release a better version to stay competitive.

I got my $79 Kindle in yesterday. Loving it so far, for the first time in I don't know how long I started to read :p

[quote name='guardian_owl']Or not, and figure within 6-12 months the price on components will come down enough that they will start turning a profit.[/QUOTE]

You really think companies like Amazon buy all their components at stock prices? Most of the pricing is speculation anyway, I don't know how they can even come up with a specific number when so much of the process of manufacturing a device can't just be tabulated. Who knows exactly what deals Amazon may have gotten with the manufacturer who also made the DOA Blackberry Playbook (the devices look quite similar). It's possible they got huge discounts since RIM is probably going to stop producing the Playbook soon.

Listening to iSuppli is like taking Michael Pachter for his word. But I guess that hasn't stopped the media from quoting them like it's fact.

Also I don't trust anyone who uses the term "Merchandize" over "Merchandise"

mercha.jpg

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...rgin-to-Promote-Online-Merchandize-Sales.aspx

[quote name='ssjmichael']
[/QUOTE]

:lol:
Xenophobic much?

I do love the fact that all those people who were obsessed with getting an HP touchpad and felt left out and or that were paying hoarder prices or thinking about it now have an OUT. Yes it isn't a tablet but as far as cheapos trying to get into he game the kindle fire is the next best thing.

Does anyone think now that the hoarders will now HAVE to reduce their stupid outrageous prices? I hope they all take a HUGE HUGE loss.

If anyone still pays hoarder prices for a touchpad then there is such a thing as a "stupid tax" and they deserve top get taxed!!

[quote name='ssjmichael']You really think companies like Amazon buy all their components at stock prices? Most of the pricing is speculation anyway, I don't know how they can even come up with a specific number when so much of the process of manufacturing a device can't just be tabulated. Who knows exactly what deals Amazon may have gotten with the manufacturer who also made the DOA Blackberry Playbook (the devices look quite similar). It's possible they got huge discounts since RIM is probably going to stop producing the Playbook soon.

Listening to iSuppli is like taking Michael Pachter for his word. But I guess that hasn't stopped the media from quoting them like it's fact.

mercha.jpg

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/Ne...rgin-to-Promote-Online-Merchandize-Sales.aspx[/QUOTE]It's a moot point even if they are selling hardware at a slight loss. They will more than make up from it selling the media to be used on the device.

[quote name='Clue']It's a moot point even if they are selling hardware at a slight loss. They will more than make up from it selling the media to be used on the device.[/QUOTE]

No doubt.

I do agree it is probably being sold at closer to breakeven than iSuppli estimates.

Still with the 8GB limitation I'm holding out for the kindle Fire DX/XL/Mk. II as I have something that fills that niche nice lyand holds plenty of stuff without being hobbled by nearly mandatory cloud storage.

Otherwise, I think the market for this will be phenomenal.

[quote name='JungleRot']
. . . then there is such a thing as a "stupid tax" and they deserve top get taxed!![/QUOTE]
Your state doesn't have the lottery? There's been one of those taxes for a while.

Got my $79 Kindle Friday and it's pretty cool but very basic. There is no brightness adjustments available Didnt realize that, but not a big deal. The background just seemed a tad dark for my tastes. Also I liked how on the PC kindle app it showed my books with the covers. The actual Kindle doesnt do that it just displays a word list which is just a slight annoyance but still I wish there were more options for the display.

The ad offers are pretty cool. The best current offer is $5 off a $10+ order at Amazon. Hopefully they have some more good ones on the way.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Also I don't trust anyone who uses the term "Merchandize" over "Merchandise"[/QUOTE]
You must not trust a lot of the English-writing world then.

I've been waiting for a color kindle, but after seeing it, eh. I think I can wait another year till we get one with the free 3g of the other kindles, a larger hd, and hopefully, a better battery life.

[quote name='Kaiselius']I've been waiting for a color kindle, but after seeing it, eh. I think I can wait another year till we get one with the free 3g of the other kindles, a larger hd, and hopefully, a better battery life.[/QUOTE]

You are never going to see free 3g on kindle fire

It's possible they can make a 3G model but only allow their books to be delivered for no monthly fee. Any other data from the web, VOD, etc... would cost extra. I

[quote name='Kaiselius']I've been waiting for a color kindle, but after seeing it, eh. I think I can wait another year till we get one with the free 3g of the other kindles, a larger hd, and hopefully, a better battery life.[/QUOTE]

Is it April 1st already?

I have pre-ordered the Kindle Fire and $99 Kindle Touch with special offers. I won't be charged ANYTHING until they ship, right? Come November, I will take a look at my money situation and decide if I can afford/still want to get either or both.

[quote name='mis0']The $79 is at a super competitive price.

With the Special Offer, you'd break even fairly quickly. ;)[/QUOTE]

Depends on the offer. You aren't breaking event with endless.com or MyHabit.com offer

[quote name='ShockandAww']Got my $79 Kindle Friday and it's pretty cool but very basic. There is no brightness adjustments available Didnt realize that, but not a big deal. The background just seemed a tad dark for my tastes. Also I liked how on the PC kindle app it showed my books with the covers. The actual Kindle doesnt do that it just displays a word list which is just a slight annoyance but still I wish there were more options for the display.

The ad offers are pretty cool. The best current offer is $5 off a $10+ order at Amazon. Hopefully they have some more good ones on the way.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean this to come across as snide, but books don't have a brightness slider either. That's the whole point of e-ink; it's meant to be readable in natural light and come across like actual paper.

[quote name='JungleRot']I do love the fact that all those people who were obsessed with getting an HP touchpad and felt left out and or that were paying hoarder prices or thinking about it now have an OUT. Yes it isn't a tablet but as far as cheapos trying to get into he game the kindle fire is the next best thing.

Does anyone think now that the hoarders will now HAVE to reduce their stupid outrageous prices? I hope they all take a HUGE HUGE loss.

If anyone still pays hoarder prices for a touchpad then there is such a thing as a "stupid tax" and they deserve top get taxed!![/QUOTE]

Why should the hoarders be afraid? The TouchPad is a better device than the Kindle Fire.

The TouchPad was made to be a premium device, the Kindle Fire was made to be a budget device to sell Amazon content. No contest.

[quote name='Dozens']Why should the hoarders be afraid? The TouchPad is a better device than the Kindle Fire.

The TouchPad was made to be a premium device, the Kindle Fire was made to be a budget device to sell Amazon content. No contest.[/QUOTE]

One is a discontinued/failed device with limited support while the other is the next in a line of already successful products backed by one of the biggest companies out there. No contest indeed.

Are the e-ink devices really THAT good? I mean, I work in an office setting, then between games / internet / TV i'm infront of a screen like 12+ hours a day. I don't see the use of buying a dedicated e-ink reader when I can have something like the fire or touchpad in their place.

[quote name='Strigol']Are the e-ink devices really THAT good? I mean, I work in an office setting, then between games / internet / TV i'm infront of a screen like 12+ hours a day. I don't see the use of buying a dedicated e-ink reader when I can have something like the fire or touchpad in their place.[/QUOTE]

eink is amazing
It really is like reading a book, no strain on your eyes at all. I was in the same postion and once I tried one in a store, I bought one shortly after.

[quote name='KaOTiK']eink is amazing
It really is like reading a book, no strain on your eyes at all. I was in the same postion and once I tried one in a store, I bought one shortly after.[/QUOTE]

Fully agreed. If you can go to a Barnes & Noble store, you can check out the Nook, or go to a Best Buy or Office Depot to see the older Kindles in person, but e-ink is far and away better and way more natural in terms of trying to read text. I'm in front of a computer constantly, but I would never use my iPad for reading longform books; I tried a few texts through iBooks, but it's really difficult for reading simple text for stretches of longer than 20 minutes for me. For short text blurbs and even magazine articles, LCD tablets are fine, but for full-on books, e-ink is the only way to go.

I have a Kindle Touch preorder in, and I'm jazzed as hell about it! I've been fawning over the Kindles for years, but finally the price is within my range. :D

I just pre-ordered a Kindle Touch. I am not excited for the long wait, but I am very excited for the device itself. I have never had an e reader and never really considered it, but this price is hard to pass up. I think I will really get back into reading more often once I get this device.

bread's done
Back