Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='Corvin'] I would imagine the Nook Tablet would be a little zippier with the dual core processors though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I never bought a nook color in the first place even though I fell in love with it. All the pros of the original nook color with upgraded specs is right up my alley. I sold my touchpad because I felt it was just a bit too big so the tablet is going to be the perfect size. Can't wait till they release it and people enable dual booting between a custom rom and the BN software. Bliss!

Amazon Prime needs a app on 360 fo sho. I'd love to cancel netflix and stick with prime to get that free 2 day shipping on everything.

I'm sticking with my Kindle Fire. So far the Nook seems to win in space, but will it win in apps and will that memory difference make a huge dent? The ipad seems to do fine on 512mb.

[quote name='Brenex']Exactly why I never bought a nook color in the first place even though I fell in love with it. All the pros of the original nook color with upgraded specs is right up my alley. I sold my touchpad because I felt it was just a bit too big so the tablet is going to be the perfect size. Can't wait till they release it and people enable dual booting between a custom rom and the BN software. Bliss![/QUOTE]

I rooted the original NC, and installed all the best apps (ereader, comic, pdf, netflix, etc) and it works really well. I am sure NT will be rooted shortly if you don't like the stock/selection of apps. I personally love NC but don't need to get another tablet (especially with the Touchpad HP finally shipped to me about a month ago). I am overtableted at this point hehe.

I read yesterday that Amazon is already working on a 10" Fire Kindle for release in early 2012, and a 3rd version for later next year. I'm thinking about canceling my pre-order to and waiting. 7" screen seems too small for watching videos or web browsing.

[quote name='lokizz']does it or will it down the road be able to access netflix?[/QUOTE]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396107,00.asp#fbid=wgVXNwCYCTv
When Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet ships next week, users will be able to instantly download popular apps that the company has specifically tested on the new tablet like Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, and more via one-click payment in the Amazon Appstore.

"We started talking to app developers everywhere the day we introduced Kindle Fire, and the response has been overwhelming," vice president of Amazon Kindle, Dave Limp, said in a statement. "In addition to over 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, and magazines from Amazon, we are excited to offer customers thousands of apps and games to choose from on Kindle Fire–from Pandora and Rhapsody to Facebook and Twitter to Netflix, as well as popular games from EA, Zynga, and many other top game developers. And this is only the beginning–we're adding more apps and games every day across all categories. "

Amazon said it will offer "several thousand" apps in an array of categories including games, social networking, entertainment, news, sports, and more. Once an app is downloaded, it will be available on the Kindle Fire, as well as other Android-based gadgets the user owns.
The $199 Kindle Fire will ship Nov. 15. Amazon said last month that it's ramping up production on the tablet because demand for the device has exceeded its original expectations.

Earlier this week, rival Barnes & Noble unveiled its own Nook Tablet, which will hit stores on Nov. 17. Barnes & Noble has also touted the apps available on its device. For more, see PCMag's hands on with the Nook Tablet.
For more on the Kindle Fire, see PCMag's first look at the tablet; a spec comparison between the Kindle Fire, the Nook Tablet, and the Nook Color; and the slideshow below.

i hope by "one-click payment" they mean free

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396107,00.asp#fbid=wgVXNwCYCTv

i hope by "one-click payment" they mean free[/QUOTE]

I am almost 99% sure apps like Netflix, Facebook, Pandora, etc will be free if they are already free on the Android Marketplace. I don't think they would change for those apps and if they did they would be insane. I think they mean one click purchasing for all apps, free or paid.

It's good to see Netflix and Pandora on the fire though. It's not just all Amazon apps only for video and unless B&N seriously updated their app store with apps, I would highly choose the fire over the new Nook.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am almost 99% sure apps like Netflix, Facebook, Pandora, etc will be free if they are already free on the Android Marketplace. I don't think they would change for those apps and if they did they would be insane. I think they mean one click purchasing for all apps, free or paid.

It's good to see Netflix and Pandora on the fire though. It's not just all Amazon apps only for video and unless B&N seriously updated their app store with apps, I would highly choose the fire over the new Nook.[/QUOTE]

Whoever wrote that article doesn't know what they're talking about. Netflix is not in Amazon's app store. They used it as an example of the apps that can be downloaded but it's not one of the apps found in the store. If the Fire had Netflix don't you think Amazon and the media would have made a bigger deal about it? I don't know why you exactly amazon only apps when it was known from the start that just about everything from Amazon's app store could be played on the Fire, they even showed examples like the game Cut the Rope

And B&N already said they plan to overhaul their app store and bring in thousands more apps.

I have a Kindle Fire on preorder, but became alarmed when I looked into the rumors about a Kindle Fire 2 coming out so soon. From what I've read, it seems that the 10.1 inch Kindle may release in December or January. Not only will it have a bigger screen size, but it is projected to have faster speed as well.

So now I'm kinda on the fence about investing in the first Kindle. Anyone else feel this way? I'm going to think about it some more, but if I could get a better Fire for only an extra $50 in a month or two, I think it'd be the better move to just wait.

been worried the last few days since I saw that new nook being flashed all over tv, but since the latest release my finger's off the cancel button...

I got a touchpad so I can pass on the 10" model when it first hits, unless the 7" just totally blows my socks off and I have to go bigger...

Pre-ordered the day it was announced so I better receive it on release day. This thing is right up my alley. $500 and then hundreds more for a data plan for an iPad I don't really need is too much for me and lots of other people. Now $200 sounds good for something I can fit in my pocket.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I have a Kindle Fire on preorder, but became alarmed when I looked into the rumors about a Kindle Fire 2 coming out so soon. From what I've read, it seems that the 10.1 inch Kindle may release in December or January. Not only will it have a bigger screen size, but it is projected to have faster speed as well.

So now I'm kinda on the fence about investing in the first Kindle. Anyone else feel this way? I'm going to think about it some more, but if I could get a better Fire for only an extra $50 in a month or two, I think it'd be the better move to just wait.[/QUOTE]

First, you've got to decide for yourself what size you prefer. Smaller tablet (like Kindle Fire) is perfect to hold in one hand while reading in bed. Larger tablet (like iPad) pretty much needs to be held two-hand all the time or be on some support. Screen resolution is pretty much the same, which means that if you have good eyes, you can view 7'' tablet as comfortable as 10'' one.
Second, before you go for the fastest tablet possible, decide what you want to run on it. Right now there is zilch number of apps that require the fastest CPU and gobs of RAM. As long as tablet has good hardware optimized video codec support, the rest is for bragging rights mostly. Does it matter whether you watch Netflix on quad-core or dual core? Nope.

For me, 7'' tablet is the perfect size (currently own Nook Color). It's light, portable and can do all the same things that 10'' tablet could. The only reason I might upgrade at some point is to have a better video support and premium sound Hi-Fi, as current generation tablets universally suck in this regard.

[quote name='Tony208']Pre-ordered the day it was announced so I better receive it on release day. This thing is right up my alley. $500 and then hundreds more for a data plan for an iPad I don't really need is too much for me and lots of other people. Now $200 sounds good for something I can fit in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

^This. The IPad is way overpriced . . . and I'd rather have a sleek, 7" color tablet than a bulky 10". Plus I can't stand Apple's proprietary overpriced crap, so an Android tablet is an obvious preference.

As for the Nook tablet, it sounds interesting . . . but I can't stand the ugly bezel with the ridiculous keyring-thing on the corner. Looks terrible, not clean and sleek at all. Bulky and ugly.

I might take a look at the Lenovo tablet, but for now the Fire looks like it'll be fine.

[quote name='Tony208']Pre-ordered the day it was announced so I better receive it on release day. This thing is right up my alley. $500 and then hundreds more for a data plan for an iPad I don't really need is too much for me and lots of other people. Now $200 sounds good for something I can fit in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

The iPad itself is certainly quite a bit more expensive, but it does not require paying for 3G and if you do opt for a 3G iPad, there is no contract.

I can't decide between the Kindle Touch and Nook Simple Touch. I just sold my Kindle Keyboard and Pre-Ordered the Kindle Touch but the Nook can be rooted and I could use the Kindle App. I don't care much about any other apps on the Nook but I would be able to use both libraries on my device. I thought about the Fire but I got a TouchPad and I love it so far so I am going to wait for a hard ware revision.

Hopefully will be getting the kindle fire on release date. this gadget look badass for the cost, especially as a prime member.

Thanks for the advice on how to decide between getting this first version of Kindle Fire or waiting for the 10.1 one soon. I do like the idea of having a conveniently sized tablet that isn't too bulky. I guess I was just sorta assuming that 10 inches was a comfortable size since I really haven't heard any size complaints from the apple folks.

So, for those who have had experience with both tablets at 7 inches and 10inches, what do you all prefer? Is the 10inches overkill? Is the 7 inches too small to be useful? Or is 7inch the sweet spot and 10inches take away from a tablets portability/usefulness?

[quote name='RobnessMonster']Thanks for the advice on how to decide between getting this first version of Kindle Fire or waiting for the 10.1 one soon. I do like the idea of having a conveniently sized tablet that isn't too bulky. I guess I was just sorta assuming that 10 inches was a comfortable size since I really haven't heard any size complaints from the apple folks.

So, for those who have had experience with both tablets at 7 inches and 10inches, what do you all prefer? Is the 10inches overkill? Is the 7 inches too small to be useful? Or is 7inch the sweet spot and 10inches take away from a tablets portability/usefulness?[/QUOTE]

Having used the iPad for a few months, I can say that it's definitely larger than I'd prefer. I love the thing to death, but the advantages of the Fire, both in size and services, are leading me to pick one up for myself, and hand the iPad off to mom. Personally, the iPad seemed too big to bring everywhere easily, and the iPod touch too small to be as useful as I'd need - I have high hopes for the compromise that the Fire should bring.

There are other reasons for my switching to the Fire, but, regarding size, those are my thoughts.

i've debated cancelling my pre-order for the same reason, but i decided to keep it because even if they announced a 9-10" screen version, I think it would probably be at least $300

i honestly only need it for web browsing and e-mail so $200 is the max i'm willing to spend

what cases did you guys buy for the fire? I bought the one on amazon, microshell or something for $40.

[quote name='uEih']what cases did you guys buy for the fire? I bought the one on amazon, microshell or something for $40.[/QUOTE]

That's a really cool looking case. I'd be tempted to buy the White one, reminds me of a space ship or something lol

Main use for this for me would be comic books, so I'm leaning towards holding out on a bigger screen to try and get something that is a bit more native to the format.

I cancelled my pre-order and decided to go with the new Nook Color. $50 more, but at least it has a memory slot so I can use up to a 32gb card. It will be able to run and come preloaded with Netflix and Hulu and I also won't have to pay $80 a year to Amazon to use their VOD service.

I'm quite sure you will call them and moan......

It's too bad Amazon didn't name it the Kindle Bonfire. How awesome would that have been, Dark Souls fans? (Answer: Indescribably awesome.)

[quote name='morrodox']It's too bad Amazon didn't name it the Kindle Bonfire. How awesome would that have been, Dark Souls fans? (Answer: Indescribably awesome.)[/QUOTE]

well not if you're an Aggie! then it's tragic..

[quote name='krashhole']I cancelled my pre-order and decided to go with the new Nook Color. $50 more, but at least it has a memory slot so I can use up to a 32gb card. It will be able to run and come preloaded with Netflix and Hulu and I also won't have to pay $80 a year to Amazon to use their VOD service.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Fire will be lacking for apps. Netflix will be on it, as well. :D Honestly, I'm a whole lot more confident in Amazon's ability to fill out their app store than B&N. If you need on that extra memory, though, there's not the Fire can do for you.

For those who haven't seen:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/09/netflix-game-devs-to-support-kindle-fire

[quote name='Trastan']I don't think the Fire will be lacking for apps. Netflix will be on it, as well. :D Honestly, I'm a whole lot more confident in Amazon's ability to fill out their app store than B&N. If you need on that extra memory, though, there's not the Fire can do for you.

For those who haven't seen:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/09/netflix-game-devs-to-support-kindle-fire[/QUOTE]

I think the lack of extra storage really hurts the Fire as a media device. You're only going to have ~6GB's of storage to work with which is barely anything nowadays. With games, movies, music and other apps I can see that being filled up very quickly and then you'll have to play the "what do I delete to make room" game

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think the lack of extra storage really hurts the Fire as a media device. You're only going to have ~6GB's of storage to work with which is barely anything nowadays. With games, movies, music and other apps I can see that being filled up very quickly and then you'll have to play the "what do I delete to make room" game[/QUOTE]

No doubt - 6GB is pretty dismal. However, I don't plan on using it much for music, and, when I do, I will typically be able to stream my songs from Amazon. I have a 3DS, PSP, and soon a Vita for portable gaming, so I don't plan on purchasing much in the way of games for the Fire. Truth be told, the main use that I'll have for the on-board storage will be comics, which will be easy to manage.

The key is the ability to not only stream media from the server, but also apps. For instance, I can leave all of the apps that only function when a network connection is present on the Amazon servers, freeing up space on the device for offline-only content.

Again, I'm not going to defend the small internal storage space, but, if you're going to primarily use the device where there's a decent wi-fi connection to be found, then, depending on your needs, it could be something of a moot point in the end.

That's pretty much how I feel. i never carry around tons of content with me. For someone that does, 6GB is going to be way too limiting though and I am surprised they didnt offer a larger capacity side by side with this.

With that said, very excited to play with this thing next week!

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think the lack of extra storage really hurts the Fire as a media device. You're only going to have ~6GB's of storage to work with which is barely anything nowadays. With games, movies, music and other apps I can see that being filled up very quickly and then you'll have to play the "what do I delete to make room" game[/QUOTE]

6 GBs of usable internal storage plus free cloud storage for all Amazon content. The internal storage is what is limited. And honestly, if you need a ton more space than that, this tablet is probably not for you.

IMO, the Kindle Fire is aimed at the casual userbase. I'm getting one for my wife for christmas. She'll be using this to read books, play games, browse the web and possibly stream some video.

That's why it's priced at the $200 budget range. If you're looking for more RAM, storage, options, there are plenty of other Android tablets on the market. If I were considering one for myself, I'd be looking at the Asus Transformer but I have no real desire for a tablet at this point.

[quote name='jacknicklson']That's pretty much how I feel. i never carry around tons of content with me. For someone that does, 6GB is going to be way too limiting though and I am surprised they didnt offer a larger capacity side by side with this.

With that said, very excited to play with this thing next week![/QUOTE]

The fact that, provided with a wireless connection, you literally don't need any locally-stored content at all to use the device to its fullest capability is a pretty big deal. Assuming it all functions properly and speedily, this has the potential to be a prime example of successful merging of cloud computing concepts with standard applications.

I think that folks will be surprised how well the system works when they begin to wrap their heads around it.

internal storage sucks, just flat out sucks, but I'm still getting one.

I do music on my I phone or pandora, so there's 10 gigs I'm eliminating

Its got access to netflix and amazon's VOD so unless I'm in BFE that takes care of space for movies.

Which leaves me ~6 gigs for apps and misc BS that I'll throw on the thing.

Given the amount of free wifi access and mobile hotspots via phones and what not. That 6 gigs should be plenty for most people...

This is going to be for my wife as well. I do like the idea of the cloud storage, but I don't like the idea of Amazon wanting $80 a year to take advantage of the VOD services. Plus Amazon will pretty much have the tablet locked down to their programming. I'm not sure why in this day and age, they wouldn't add an expansion slot.

[quote name='Trastan']The fact that, provided with a wireless connection, you literally don't need any locally-stored content at all to use the device to its fullest capability is a pretty big deal. Assuming it all functions properly and speedily, this has the potential to be a prime example of successful merging of cloud computing concepts with standard applications.

I think that folks will be surprised how well the system works when they begin to wrap their heads around it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm waiting to see how well the cloud storage works and what limitations (in terms of content you can access) it has

[quote name='krashhole']This is going to be for my wife as well. I do like the idea of the cloud storage, but I don't like the idea of Amazon wanting $80 a year to take advantage of the VOD services. Plus Amazon will pretty much have the tablet locked down to their programming. I'm not sure why in this day and age, they wouldn't add an expansion slot.[/QUOTE]

Why bother with Amazon's video services when you can just use Netflix? The video aspect is a very small reason for purchasing a Prime membership. I've had Prime for a while, and I use Netflix exclusively for my VOD content.

[quote name='jacknicklson']You mentioned netflix earlier, does that not cost you at least $80 a year?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does. But I stream Netflix across 2 360's, a PS3, and my media center PC.

[quote name='krashhole']This is going to be for my wife as well. I do like the idea of the cloud storage, but I don't like the idea of Amazon wanting $80 a year to take advantage of the VOD services. Plus Amazon will pretty much have the tablet locked down to their programming. I'm not sure why in this day and age, they wouldn't add an expansion slot.[/QUOTE]

You are barking at the wrong tree. Amazon did not invent 'walled garden' - they just borrowed idea from Apple. As for 6GB, this tablet is destined for streaming only. Amazon wants to encourage everyone to stream cause this would drive their e-music, e-books and e-movie sales.

[quote name='Trastan']Why bother with Amazon's video services when you can just use Netflix? The video aspect is a very small reason for purchasing a Prime membership. I've had Prime for a while, and I use Netflix exclusively for my VOD content.[/QUOTE]

I have the Prime membership as well, but it's free because we order our sons diapers and wipes from Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply because it's not actually paid. I guess the VOD service is really not the main issue. Maybe I'm just thinking outside of the box too much :roll:

Far as Netflix, I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't going to be on the Kindle Fire?

[quote name='krashhole']I have the Prime membership as well, but it's free because we order our sons diapers and wipes from Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply because it's not actually paid. I guess the VOD service is really not the main issue. Maybe I'm just thinking outside of the box too much :roll:

Far as Netflix, I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't going to be on the Kindle Fire?[/QUOTE]

It probably wasn't but as soon as they announced it was coming to the Nook, Amazon said they would have too.

I'm positive Amazon knew they were going to add Netflix since they revealed the device and were just waiting for B&N to announce their new tablet and boast about having Netflix, only to deflate any buzz/steam right after.

bread's done
Back