Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

Decisions Decisions. I am just going to wait on both. Barnes & Noble will have the new Nook Color for people to demo on the 15th. I guess I will make my decision after that.

I believe Hulu was also confirmed for the new Nook but I don't believe so for the Kindle Fire. I don't pay for streaming subscriptions since I already pay too much for home internet and cable. I wasn't all that impressed with Amazon's VOD selections but I'm guessing someone else in my family will fork over the $80 for a year subscription as an accompanying christmas gift. I think I read that they offer free books as well if you are a member. If nothing else, she'll get free 2-day shipping for a year...

[quote name='krashhole']I have the Prime membership as well, but it's free because we order our sons diapers and wipes from Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply because it's not actually paid. I guess the VOD service is really not the main issue. Maybe I'm just thinking outside of the box too much :roll:

Far as Netflix, I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't going to be on the Kindle Fire?[/QUOTE]

I posted a response to you earlier regarding Netflix on the Fire, including a link from IGN regarding Amazon's press announcement. Here's the link again, in case you're interested.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/09/netflix-game-devs-to-support-kindle-fire

[quote name='krashhole']I must have missed that. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sure - it was pretty nice news for me.

It's awfully nice that some great options are coming out to challenge the iPad. No one wants complacent tech.

Has anyone seen a photo or a video of someone reading on the Fire? In the demo, pictures online, and the commercial I saw yesterday on TV it never showed the device doing this task. Seems odd to me and has me worried.

I'll be getting either the Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet sometime this year. I'm leaning towards the Kindle Fire, because Amazon's marketplace for apps seems better than whatever Barnes and Noble will throw on the nook. However, if the nook tablet can be rooted like the nook color can, I think that might change my mind.

[quote name='Michael Scott']Has anyone seen a photo or a video of someone reading on the Fire? In the demo, pictures online, and the commercial I saw yesterday on TV it never showed the device doing this task. Seems odd to me and has me worried.[/QUOTE]

Tablets really aren't all that great for reading. If you are a hard core reader the kindle or kindle touch with e ink are much better for long term reading. The fire is an adequate reader for occasional or short term reading but I think it's much better suited as primarily functioning as a app/video/web browsing device. I would never read a book on my iPad, but like it for things like magazines or comics. But I think my eyes strain easier then most.

I just want to minimize the number of devices I have to take with me and if I can take one device that's mediocre at a lot of things, I'll sacrifice.

Jumped in line for a Kindle Fire. Poo poo'd it at first, but then it grew more appealing. The support that Amazon seems to be throwing at it should make for a good usability life span.

It's great for leaving around the house for browsing and casual games on a whim without needing to boot up the laptop. Love the portability of the iPod Touch, and this having a slightly larger screen is gravy.

Just curious - what is your estimated ship date? You preordered today right?

[quote name='Hibiwa']Jumped in line for a Kindle Fire. Poo poo'd it at first, but then it grew more appealing. The support that Amazon seems to be throwing at it should make for a good usability life span.

It's great for leaving around the house for browsing and casual games on a whim without needing to boot up the laptop. Love the portability of the iPod Touch, and this having a slightly larger screen is gravy.[/QUOTE]

Last night. Est. delivery with FSSS is on the slow boat due Nov 21-29.

Showed shipping 4-7 days on the product page yesterday (3-5 today).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Michael Scott']I just want to minimize the number of devices I have to take with me and if I can take one device that's mediocre at a lot of things, I'll sacrifice.[/QUOTE]
The Kindle Fire will be great at reading (I mean it's a Kindle after all ;)), the problem is it's the screen. Reading on that tablet screen will strain your eyes after awhile and become unpleasant.

The Kindle Touch and $79 model have the e-ink screens which are better on the eyes.

I'm not sure if tablet reading will strain your eyes anymore than prolonged staring at a computer screen will strain your eyes. It should come down to personal preference in what screen you enjoy reading at more, and in what conditions- indoor/outdoor, full sun, nighttime, etc. Though perhaps one over the other might impact blinking rate for those wearing contacts that want to game on a tablet.

Personally, sometimes my eyes feel strained after reading a magazine or paperback. Posture probably has as much to do with it as anything.

Just a heads up for anyone who was wondering if the fire will get Netflix here you go.

"Thousands of the most popular apps, including Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, Comics by comiXology and more, plus you'll get a great paid app for free every day. Enjoy the best games, including Words with Friends, Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies and more, from top developers like Zynga, EA, Gameloft, PopCap, Rovio and more. All apps are Amazon-tested on Kindle Fire for the best experience possible."

This is located on amazon's kindle fire page.

I bit on the Kindle Fire yesterday when Amazon had the Mastercard sponsored deal on toys/electronics ($10 off $100 and then a $10 off $50 coupon later)...

Don't have a tablet yet... will be using it for casual use... I have Amazon prime, I keep my music on Amazon's cloud service, and I have a sizable Kindle book collection... so it should fit well, plus the price is great!

This isn't a 7" vs 10" screen war, just my 2 cents...

I had a Nook Color & rooted it to use CM7 earlier this year. It ran pretty smooth even when it was overclocked to 1.1ghz (from the stock 800mhz). I loved lots of things about it (being able to view sites w/Adobe Flash, battery life, more portable than a laptop, Android market apps). Keep in mind I'd use it mainly to browse the net, email, YouTube & NetFlix. While I loved almost everything about it (besides the very rare freezes), I just couldn't get past the 7" screen because it was just too small for my liking. That was 95% why I ended up selling it about a month or so after buying.

I purchased my fiancee an iPad 2 so I've used it extensively. Despite the fact it didn't support Adobe Flash (yes, I know they just announced they're no longer supporting mobile Flash), I loved the 9.7" screen size much better than the 7" of the Nook Color. To me, it was a huge difference when browsing the net & watching video clips. The only aspect of the bigger screen that didn't really have an affect on me was checking & typing emails since I still would've typed in portrait mode (on the iPad 2) just like on the Nook Color anyway.

In the end, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1-4G since I prefer the Honeycomb OS vs iOS (including v5.0) but that topic's for another day. So yeah, for you potential buyers of both the Kindle Fire & Nook Tablet, consider the screen size & not just the price. I see it as this...Regardless of what you're paying for a 7" screen tablet pc, if it's still too small for you then are you really going to be happy to the point you think you're getting your moneys worth? I'm not saying a 10" screen is better for everyone, it was just better for me. Food for thought...

BTW, if you guys wanna know how the Kindle Fire feels like in your hands go checkout a Blackberry Playbook since it's the same design casing minus some buttons (volume up/down from what I remember reading).

Didn't see it posted yet, but Hulu Plus and ESPN ScoreCenter have also officially been announced as apps available when the Fire ships next week.

Yea, mine is "shipping soon" too. Very unexpected. At the same time I had it set up to have it shipped to my job since it was originally set to be delivered on the 17th. If they ship today then it will probably show up on release day (tues) but I'm off tues and weds! waaaahhhh.. LOL. At worst I would just have to pick it up at work on my day off.

Have someone bring it out to you so you won't have to go in the building and potentially get stuck inside working. ;)

[quote name='raystorm']Yea, mine is "shipping soon" too. Very unexpected. At the same time I had it set up to have it shipped to my job since it was originally set to be delivered on the 17th. If they ship today then it will probably show up on release day (tues) but I'm off tues and weds! waaaahhhh.. LOL. At worst I would just have to pick it up at work on my day off.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone who ordered the Fire purchased a screen protector yet? Trying to decide which I should get. It doesn't help that the vast majority of options are not available yet - would like to be able to put something on as soon as I receive the device...

Well I broke down and ordered a kindle fire.

I already have an IPAD 1 and want an IPAD 2 but realize the upgrade from 1 to 2 is so incremental that it is not worth the money.

So the Kindle Fire's job is to keep me occupied until the ipad 3 comes out.
Plus, its looks like a sweet little device for just leaving lying around the house for whatever.
I was always so worried about my Ipad getting broken... the kindle fire is cheap enough that i'm not even buying a case, cover.. nothing.

NUDE BABY!
-Mike

[quote name='mm07']Well I broke down and ordered a kindle fire.

I already have an IPAD 1 and want an IPAD 2 but realize the upgrade from 1 to 2 is so incremental that it is not worth the money.

So the Kindle Fire's job is to keep me occupied until the ipad 3 comes out.
Plus, its looks like a sweet little device for just leaving lying around the house for whatever.
I was always so worried about my Ipad getting broken... the kindle fire is cheap enough that i'm not even buying a case, cover.. nothing.

NUDE BABY!
-Mike[/QUOTE]

I ordered 2. One for my mom's b-day and I decided to get one to see what the hype was about. I already have a iPad 2, but hey, I am a techno geek.

[quote name='spcheap']Same, the one that is featured. I saw another case for $10 less, but this was has a stand...I figure that might come in handy...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/3013580011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kinc_1_4_last#1

Looks like all cases are $30+[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's a really cool looking case. I'd be tempted to buy the White one, reminds me of a space ship or something lol[/QUOTE]

Yea i decided on the microshell case because it looks sleeker and more masculine i guess. I was stuck between that and the leather case but bought the microshell instead. Lol i know what you mean by the spaceship look, it looks like some sort of pod or something you'll put inside to send out of space or something. I feel that this will last a bit longer than the leather case. Can't really tell yet.. Wished they had some out to people and have them reviewed.

[quote name='jkimrey']Has anyone who ordered the Fire purchased a screen protector yet? Trying to decide which I should get. It doesn't help that the vast majority of options are not available yet - would like to be able to put something on as soon as I receive the device...[/QUOTE]

Do you like Zagg with their wet application screen protector? Skinomi is similar if not better and cheaper too. I have one on my touchpad and barely notice it on except for the orange peel effect.. It is a little bit more rubbery but i like it. I bought a skinomi screen protector right off of amazon for $9 or so.. cheaper than directly from their website.

Yeah USB on your computer or other device. My tablet and phone uses the same microi-USB connection as my Kindle so if yours does as well then you should be able to use that to charge it too (assuming the Fire uses the same connections as previous models)

Uh on the page it says

"Kindle Fire device, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide."

It be kind of ridiculous not to include a ac adapter.

Somewhat off-topic... I'm looking for a good pair of earbuds that are somewhat damage-resistant and won't fall out of my ears for less than $100. Any recommendations?

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']No adapter no buy.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Really?

My wife has a Kindle with an adapter so I assume I can use that, but to call it a deal breaker is silly.

I really think a lot of people getting the kindle fire are going to be very disappointed when they see the limited functionality it has. Its not a standard 7" android tablet, it's basically just a portal for amazon content like books and videos; there's no cameras or expansion slots. Sure there's a web browser but it's via Amazon's Cloud service so who knows what that's going to be like. I don't even think it will have full access to the android marketplace.

If you're looking for a real android (honeycomb) tablet there's better deals than this, especially during Black Friday, I saw Best Buy had an Acer 7" Nvidia Tegra 2 tablet for $189, or the 10" Asus Transformer for $249.

[quote name='roymustang']I really think a lot of people getting the kindle fire are going to be very disappointed when they see the limited functionality it has. Its not a standard 7" android tablet, it's basically just a portal for amazon content like books and videos; there's no cameras or expansion slots. Sure there's a web browser but it's via Amazon's Cloud service so who knows what that's going to be like. I don't even think it will have full access to the android marketplace.

If you're looking for a real android (honeycomb) tablet there's better deals than this, especially during Black Friday, I saw Best Buy had an Acer 7" Nvidia Tegra 2 tablet for $189, or the 10" Asus Transformer for $249.[/QUOTE]

meh...take back what I said simply 'cause I really shouldn't post my personal opinions based on experience on certain brands...

[quote name='roymustang']
If you're looking for a real android (honeycomb) tablet there's better deals than this, especially during Black Friday, I saw Best Buy had an Acer 7" Nvidia Tegra 2 tablet for $189, or the 10" Asus Transformer for $249.[/QUOTE]

if you stand in line 8 hours in freezing conditions for me I'll gladly take one of those acer tablets.

[quote name='roymustang']I really think a lot of people getting the kindle fire are going to be very disappointed when they see the limited functionality it has. Its not a standard 7" android tablet, it's basically just a portal for amazon content like books and videos; there's no cameras or expansion slots. Sure there's a web browser but it's via Amazon's Cloud service so who knows what that's going to be like. I don't even think it will have full access to the android marketplace.
[/QUOTE]

I think plenty of people know exactly what they are getting. A cheap e-reader/tablet to read on with web/email. Other extras like apps, Netflix, etc. are gravy.

[quote name='dragonjud']I thought I understood your argument...that is until you added 'Acer' or Asus to your post.
If you're trying to improve why would you settle for garbage brands such as those?[/QUOTE]

You should probably look at some reviews before giving your ignorant generalized opinion. You really have no clue if you think those are garbage brands

[quote name='Corvin']I think plenty of people know exactly what they are getting. A cheap e-reader/tablet to read on with web/email. Other extras like apps, Netflix, etc. are gravy.[/QUOTE]

Haha yea. I'm getting the fire just to read and browse web. Plus I have prime. I don't really care much about camera, marketplace apps.

[quote name='Beefyheart']if you stand in line 8 hours in freezing conditions for me I'll gladly take one of those acer tablets.[/QUOTE]

Can I have one too.....:applause:

I can see this getting really annoying:
Aside from the occasional chop, your main beef will likely be with the Fire's sole—but quite glaring—interface hole. There's no dedicated home button. To return to your content shelf HQ, you have to tap squarely in the middle of the screen, which brings up a soft home button. This would be fine, except most of the time you'll turn a page by mistake, rather than trigger the navigation bar. It's dunce cap design, made all the more glaring by the great design surrounding it.

Giz calling it the best android tablet to date is pretty laughable all thing considered.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I can see this getting really annoying:

Giz calling it the best android tablet to date is pretty laughable all thing considered.[/QUOTE]

I can see this to be super annoying but could be fixed with an update (hopefully).
All the reviews are saying it to be a decent device especially for the price. Looks like I'm keeping my pre-order.

Yeah it's definitely a capable device for your basic media needs, but after reading the reviews I feel like Amazon dumbed it down a little too much in some areas. The casual user shouldn't see any problem with that, and that's who I think this is geared towards. Anyone looking to get a fully-capable tablet should probably look elsewhere. Anyone looking for a web browser, comic/e-book reader, Amazon Video, and the occasional 3rd-party app should enjoy using the device

I think they certainly created something to build on here though. If they can make it a little smaller in terms of thickness and weight, add a physical home button (or a touch sensitive one at the bottom border), add some expansion and/or other sizes, add a TV-out port, they would have truly great device.

[quote name='CheapyD']Reviews are out:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/14/2560084/kindle-fire-review
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amazon-kindle-fire-review/
http://gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-fire-review-the-ipad-finally-has-serious-competition[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! After skimming through Engadget's review, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. Granted it does have low (MSRP) price point, you really get what you pay for. It doesn't really excel in anything. I can't wait to see what Amazon has in store for the next revision (2GB RAM, 2GHz dual core CPU, 720p resolution and 16GB standard memory with SD expansion??)

I don't know how much weight this holds but yahoo had a story that the fire will be part of Amazons BF deals for 99 bucks. I just thought I would let everyone know

bread's done
Back