Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't get why people use the $199 as justification for an inferior device. If this wasn't released by Amazon, would people really be so apologetic towards it? This is a good device, but it has serious flaws from the looks of it. The $199 price is not groundbreaking. Hell, more than a year ago B&N released a quality tablet for $249. A year later, along with some cheaper prices in components and we have the Fire for $50 less than that. Think about that for a moment and you'll realize the price isn't that earth-shattering. Many companies are releasing comparable tablets for around this price, and plenty more are along the way. The bottom line: don't get it just because it's cheap, and don't make that an excuse for why this is inferior in many ways to a real Android tablet.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, we're still going on reviews from people that are paid to nit pick. Once we all get ours and play around with it we can decide if these complaints are detrimental.

[quote name='ZForce915']To be fair, we're still going on reviews from people that are paid to nit pick. Once we all get ours and play around with it we can decide if these complaints are detrimental.[/QUOTE]

True, but even independently of reviews there are certain design choices like the lack of an actual home button and dedicated volume buttons that really weaken the functionality of the device in my view and there's really no way to remedy that with an update. I'd be surprised if either of those really raised the price so significantly that they couldn't still charge $199 for it.

Things like lag aren't really bothering me since Amazon can probably figure out how to optimize it so that doesn't happen.

[quote name='ssjmichael']True, but even independently of reviews there are certain design choices like the lack of an actual home button and dedicated volume buttons that really weaken the functionality of the device in my view and there's really no way to remedy that with an update. I'd be surprised if either of those really raised the price so significantly that they couldn't still charge $199 for it.

Things like lag aren't really bothering me since Amazon can probably figure out how to optimize it so that doesn't happen.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I found a cost breakdown of the blackberry playbook and the 16gb costs about $190 in parts. Analysts have predicted that the fire costs around the same but nobody will know for sure until someone tears it apart to see what they are using. It should also be noted that the playbook has double the memory and other hardware features that are missing on the fire such as dual cameras.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/04/20/blackberry-playbook-components-cost-205/

Ill be waiting for revision 2. I really want the micro sd card slot and I just know they are going to add it like every other android tablet

maybe I'm crazy but why would you want camera's / mics on this thing?

7" tablet for multimedia stuff...If I want to take pics or videochat I'll hop on the computer or my phone.

As for the lack of apps, I got faith in amazon, they've sold a ton of these things from what I understand, which means lots of dev support to start cranking out fire apps..

I dont understand the OMG there's no apps....you cant come out with a device day 1 and tell devs "ok give me a million apps"....these things take time

[quote name='Strigol']
I dont understand the OMG there's no apps....you cant come out with a device day 1 and tell devs "ok give me a million apps"....these things take time[/QUOTE]

If Amazon created their own OS from the ground up rather than using a jailed-in and re-skinned Android platform that would be a valid point, but it's not. The truth is, Amazon could have easily provided a way to access apps from the google market which has tons and tons more apps available than what you'll find in the amazon app store. Day 1 the Kindle fire could have had hundreds of thousands of apps, rather than just thousands. And some reviews mention the ability to sideload APK files, but apparently it crashes with some of those including popular ones like Facebook and Gmail.

I canceled my order when I gave it some thought. The 7" screen just doesn't cut it for me. Not to mention, I am sure it will have some bugs that will need to be worked out. I will just wait for the next gen. I am curious to read reviews about how it functions. For now, the iPad and TouchPad are fine for me although, the TouchPad app store sucks.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If Amazon created their own OS from the ground up rather than using a jailed-in and re-skinned Android platform that would be a valid point, but it's not. The truth is, Amazon could have easily provided a way to access apps from the google market which has tons and tons more apps available than what you'll find in the amazon app store. Day 1 the Kindle fire could have had hundreds of thousands of apps, rather than just thousands. And some reviews mention the ability to sideload APK files, but apparently it crashes with some of those including popular ones like Facebook and Gmail.[/QUOTE]

I think they should have just put an option in the device to add other app stores. I can see why Amazon locked it down since there are many versions of android and apps for gingerbread and honeycomb. The general public would try to install something and then it wouldn't work, look weird or not perform as it was supposed to. I would know all of that but if an average person tried it and it didn't work they would just think the tablet sucked. Apple does a great job at limiting the type of apps it approves so the average person always has a "good" experience and I always give them crap for that but I still have an iPhone 4, which still can't be jailbroken :(. I have a TouchPad running android and I love it so going back to a closed ecosystem would not work for me. It's only a matter of time before this thing gets rooted and I am sure that will make it a better option, until then, I pass.

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']Not sure why everyone is so negative on the Fire. The reviews I read only confirmed what should have been expected all along. It's a budget tablet at a budget price. It's almost as if people thought the Fire would blow away all Android tablet competition and still somehow only be $199. For that price, seems like a capable device for casual users.[/QUOTE]

If the home button and hidden navigation system is glitchy per reviews, and there is noticeable lag while reading then I'd agree... "capable" is the right descriptor. It will perform rudimentary tasks, just not well. Unfortunately, I don't want to drop $200 on something so-so.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't get why people use the $199 as justification for an inferior device. If this wasn't released by Amazon, would people really be so apologetic towards it? [/QUOTE]

Exactly. There's no reason why the consumer shouldn't expect a quality device. The Fire appears to have a few very noticeable flaws. It's up to each individual whether or not to "justify" the cost.

[quote name='ssjmichael']
Things like lag aren't really bothering me since Amazon can probably figure out how to optimize it so that doesn't happen.[/QUOTE]

It's a dual core machine, there's no excuse for lag while reading a black and white text page. Hopefully that can be fixed later.

[quote name='dragonjud']Yeah, I haven't tried the newer version, but my wife owns the older model. After spending time with it, I was disappointed. I also noticed the lack of any sales on their software offerings. So, you may want to consider that as well.
[/QUOTE]

I borrowed my sister's Nook Color for a couple of days and I walked away same as you. It was decent but disappointing.

The biggest differentiation here is that the Nook Tablet is essentially 2nd gen hardware, where the Kindle Fire is 1st gen. Any flaws the color had should be remedied this time out.

However, being a CheapAssGamer, I have already considered that Amazon will likely have better/more frequent sales on books. I think B&N wants you to buy into their "club" for the decent discounts.

[quote name='eliter1']I can see why Amazon locked it down since there are many versions of android and apps for gingerbread and honeycomb. The general public would try to install something and then it wouldn't work, look weird or not perform as it was supposed to.[/QUOTE]

That's not really how it works with Android though. From my experience having an Android phone and tablet, if it's not compatible with your device it doesn't even show up in the store. The same can likely be done with the Fire if given access to the marketplace.

Friendly reminder that we have until 1/31/12 to return this thing and only lose return shipping

I have lately been wondering why i am even in the market for a tablet, lol

Super Mario Land 3D is making me think I should get a 3DS instead but at least I have a few months to see any value in this thing

I think I'll wait for Fire 2. I was planning to give these to my kids as Xmas gifts, but the wife changed her mind. I personally wouldn't have any use for it w/o 3G and some other features that I already have with the Ipad 2, so I'll just wait and see if Amazon decides to lengthen the feature-set in a future release.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's not really how it works with Android though. From my experience having an Android phone and tablet, if it's not compatible with your device it doesn't even show up in the store. The same can likely be done with the Fire if given access to the marketplace.[/QUOTE]

I know but this thing is running gingerbread as far as I know and not every gingerbread app is optimized for tablets. I noticed that I couldn't install the Facebook app on my TouchPad before and then one day I was able to but it is terrible. It's a phone app that they finally allowed to run on tablets and it looks and performs horribly. It is a much better experience on a browser. I don't know if that's just an issue with the TouchPad tho. If ICS manages to lower fragmentation then the Fire 2 will probably be more "open" since in theory apps should be compatible with all devices.

Edit: My parents live in Mexico and I am guessing that the Prime benefits won't work there. Has anyone heard anything about streaming stuff in other countries? Otherwise this thing is pretty much a brick.

[quote name='Strigol']maybe I'm crazy but why would you want camera's / mics on this thing?

7" tablet for multimedia stuff...If I want to take pics or videochat I'll hop on the computer or my phone.

As for the lack of apps, I got faith in amazon, they've sold a ton of these things from what I understand, which means lots of dev support to start cranking out fire apps..

I dont understand the OMG there's no apps....you cant come out with a device day 1 and tell devs "ok give me a million apps"....these things take time[/QUOTE]

A lot of people use these tablets for video chat. Skype and Tango both have Android apps that can be used for video chat. I personally don't need the cameras myself but I really wish it had a mic. I like to create audio notes for myself through evernote and I occasionally like to make free voip calls

I don't need some expensive tablet that does a ton of shit I'll never use. Kindle Fire has everything I need so it's awesome imo.

[quote name='ssjmichael']True, but even independently of reviews there are certain design choices like the lack of an actual home button and dedicated volume buttons that really weaken the functionality of the device in my view and there's really no way to remedy that with an update. I'd be surprised if either of those really raised the price so significantly that they couldn't still charge $199 for it.

You need to calm down Gonzo, Hardware is only as good as the software...... Also for someone who is NOT going to buy this, you sure are trolling this thread. Why don't you take that time and go do something productive with your life.....

Amazon with it's Kindle Fire will be second in line only to the Apple iPad....

/Fact

[quote name='tears2040']You need to calm down Gonzo, Hardware is only as good as the software......

Amazon with it's Kindle Fire will be second in line only to the Apple iPad....

/Fact[/QUOTE]

Wow, you're seriously deluded if you believe that. Amazon didn't create anything revolutionary here so you need to quit drinking the kool-aid, it's affecting your brain

I agree with the button issue, the regular Kindle has a page forward and page back button that is seamlessly designed and that could easily be the volume on this.

I'm sure they knew that so leaving this out clearly was intentional. The optimist in me says they have a plan, the pessimist says they went form over function.

[quote name='ZForce915']I agree with the button issue, the regular Kindle has a page forward and page back button that is seamlessly designed and that could easily be the volume on this.

I'm sure they knew that so leaving this out clearly was intentional. The optimist in me says they have a plan, the pessimist says they went form over function.[/QUOTE]

They left it out to build hype for the fire 2. I'm sure when they announce it, everyone will be like "OMG the fire 2 is coming and it has volume buttons! In for 6!"

i ordered the kindle fire as well and it is shipping soon. I am not unhappy about the fact that i would have to buy from the amazon store. At least the app will at least have some quality to it. I already have a kindle. I'm excited about the fact that the screen is lit up. Basically it's a toy. It's not meant to replace the PC or anything like that. I read a lot of reviews on other tablets and every one has their own specific problems.

I am excited to get the Kindle Fire. I believe it will be well worth the $200

The Kindle fire seems rushed, i also canceled my pre-order after watching the janky scrolling with it's web browser in the reviews. I have an iPad 1 and 2, so the crappy performance would of bugged the hell out of me. I'll stick with the kindle touch for books, and wait for a non-playbook version of the fire hehe. My original justification for the fire was to get in on the free amazon app for a day deals, but for once i think i'll wait till v2. Also 8gb of memory (6gb usable) is ridiculously small.

[quote name='Alcedes']The Kindle fire seems rushed, i also canceled my pre-order after watching the janky scrolling with it's web browser in the reviews. I have an iPad 1 and 2, so the crappy performance would of bugged the hell out of me. I'll stick with the kindle touch for books, and wait for a non-playbook version of the fire hehe. My original justification for the fire was to get in on the free amazon app for a day deals, but for once i think i'll wait till v2. Also 8gb of memory (6gb usable) is ridiculously small.[/QUOTE]

If you have an ipad 2, no reason to get this, for half the price get a kindle touch, its better for reading anyway due to e-ink

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wow, you're seriously deluded if you believe that. Amazon didn't create anything revolutionary here so you need to quit drinking the kool-aid, it's affecting your brain[/QUOTE]

I think you're underestimating the brand name value and Amazon ecosystem. The Kindle Fire doesn't need to be revolutionary. It just needs to offer good functionality at a good price to be successful.

[quote name='wolve']I think you're underestimating the brand name value and Amazon ecosystem. The Kindle Fire doesn't need to be revolutionary. It just needs to offer good functionality at a good price to be successful.[/QUOTE]

I never said it wouldn't be unsuccessful. I even said it'll be the most popular "android" tablet released. But that doesn't mean it's the best android tablet released to date. I'd say something like the Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, or another Honeycomb Android tablet with an OS designed for tablet use would be 2nd to the iPad, not the Fire. Obviously in terms of price, the Xoom is much more expensive, but the person I was replying to wasn't talking about pricing, they just said the Fire is 2nd to the iPad, and called that a fact. I never claimed what I'm saying is fact either, I often give the disclaimer that this is my opinion of the tablets. Aside from comparing physical specs pretty everything people say is subjective or speculative.

I also said earlier that the Fire is doing what Apple has done with their products and creating a closed ecosystem to use with their own services. That's a good or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for. I just don't want to be locked in to one specific store and ecosystem which is probably why I don't own a single "i" product either. I have an Archos 70 which is dated compared to newer tablets, but still runs perfectly fine and handles every app I've thrown at it. I have both the Google Marketplace and Amazon's App store on it, has apps like Kindle, Nook, Google Books, and so forth. It plays more media codecs than most tablets, has HDMI-out, Bluetooth tethering, a microSDHC slot etc..I paid $219 back then.

Right now you can get their newest tablet, the Archos 101 G9, a 10" Honeycomb tablet for $299 shipped from PC Richards: http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?modelNo=501889

It has:

ARM A9 Cortex Dual Core processor
10.1" Capacitive multi-touchscreen at 1280 x 800 resolution
8GB onboard storage plus microSDHC expansion
HDMI-out, GPS, Bluetooth, accelerometer, camera, etc..
Can be upgraded to 3G with a usb adapter

For the price I doubt you'll find a better tablet on paper. Archos constantly improves their devices too. I'm still getting some FW updates that improves functionality a year later on my A70. They're not always the most polished streamlined devices but they're great for someone who wants the full tablet experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have buyers remorse and it didn't even arrive yet. Tried to cancel, no dice. Hope the wifey likes it!

In regards to the app issue...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...fire-the-android-tablet-developers-love-most/

Personally, Kindle Fire is pretty much what I expected: affordable portal media device with a web browser, with some support for apps. That's what I want.

I will admit the lack of a micro SD card slot is a bit disappointing, but we've already know that for a while going into this device. Even than, I was looking at buying this, or the low-end iPod Touch, both of which feature the same amount of memory. Personally, I would much rather have the larger screen. To me, 7 inches seems just right.

Otherwise, I will be using this at home, so features like 3G and GPS, for me, would be pointless. However, I do think for everyone else, they should have a 3G model.

I just want to say that I'm not trying to stop anyone from buying a Fire or feel bad about their purchase. I know I've made some aggressive anti-Fire posts, but I think it appears to be good at what it does, and will no doubt improve in performance and functionality in the upcoming the months.. You're probably going to get a much better web browsing experience on it than a regular Android browser tbh, and of course it's likely the best tablet to use Amazon's own services. As long as you know what you're in for then by all means be happy with it :)

I sold my kindle 2 since i was sick of looking at a useless keyboard.
My Kindle touch should show up by the 16th, looking forward to being able to tap and hold to bring up a definition. That's such a killer feature for e-books, not having to guess what a word means is really profound lol.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I just want to say that I'm not trying to stop anyone from buying a Fire or feel bad about their purchase. I know I've made some aggressive anti-Fire posts, but I think it appears to be good at what it does, and will no doubt improve in performance and functionality in the upcoming the months.. You're probably going to get a much better web browsing experience on it than a regular Android browser tbh, and of course it's likely the best tablet to use Amazon's own services. As long as you know what you're in for then by all means be happy with it :)[/QUOTE]

2+ hours later and you're still here....... :applause: At not having a Life and trolling a device you intend on not purchasing......

Dude seriously you need to do something productive with your time.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']Btw...

Kindle Touch has gotten lost in all of this.

Anybody here plan on buying one?

Any reviews out yet?[/QUOTE]

I had one pre-ordered but I decided to cancel and wait for reviews. I still haven't decided whether I'd use an e-reader enough to justify having one.

[quote name='OnlyEternity']I had one pre-ordered but I decided to cancel and wait for reviews. I still haven't decided whether I'd use an e-reader enough to justify having one.[/QUOTE]

All depends on how much you read in general. If you're even a slightly voracious reader, trust me, you'll get your money's worth.

Yeah I have one on order. I don't read much but I will just text to speech books while I am gaming. Plus I have prime so I get a free book a month.

Ordered kindle touch for the girlfriend for Christmas. Glad I did, tried the new kindle at best buy without keyboard and buttons to turn page were awkwardly placed.

Kindle touch is way to go if you're a reader

I have one on order. I may get one for my dad for Xmas. My mom has that Borders one, I forget the name...I dunno if she would prefer a Kindle instead. I should ask her about that...

[quote name='tears2040']2+ hours later and you're still here....... :applause: At not having a Life and trolling a device you intend on not purchasing......

Dude seriously you need to do something productive with your time.[/QUOTE]

Go easy guy, his last post was apologetic in nature trying to show that there was no malice behind his negative Kindle posts. Don't bash him for that.

I sold my Kindle Keyboard and ordered the Touch. I almost ordered the Nook Simple Touch since it has not adds and it's the same price. It can also be rooted to run the Amazon Kindle app. I ended up getting an extra $20 GC from Amazon so I ordered the Touch for $80. The reviews seem pretty good.

I bought the new Kindle (non-touch). I highly recommend it. It's cheaper, smaller, and lighter, than the Touch. I'm not sure that the touch functionality adds very much to the experience.

It's gonna be a good Friday for me. That free month of prime is going to come in handy for holiday shopping. Sneaky Amazon temptress.

That's what she said

[quote name='lawdood']Mine just showed up at my front door...too bad I'm off to work. Will have to play with it when I get home.[/QUOTE]

I messed around with a demo unit at the Target in town and I definitely like it. Buyers have 30 days to return, correct? I've always wanted a Kindle and I may have to pick this one up. I've read a few reviews and all the things they nitpicked at didn't bother me on the demo unit.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I messed around with a demo unit at the Target in town and I definitely like it. Buyers have 30 days to return, correct? I've always wanted a Kindle and I may have to pick this one up. I've read a few reviews and all the things they nitpicked at didn't bother me on the demo unit.[/QUOTE]

Whoa - Targets have them day 1?

bread's done
Back