Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Toys R Us

[quote name='Darknuke']It's because consumers are greedy (which got even worse after the App Store came to be). People don't truly understand the reasons publishers do these things because they aren't in the game industry. Same goes for DRM.

It's not fair that GameStop gets to make the full amount back on a used game when they made zero effort and put in zero resources to make the game itself. It's also not fair that people think that DRM is the bane of the universe when its the same people who made publishers resort to that kind of system (by pirating). I am an avid supporter of the Online Pass and DRM. If you want your game used or "free," be prepared to suffer the consequences of not supporting the company who made the game.

GameStop and Piraters truly can put game companies out of business because of what they do, so publishers have to do whatever they can to ensure they make the money off their games, not other people (or no one if you pirate).
[/QUOTE]
I don't like DRM because it's pointless (because if someone wants to pirate the game, they will get around any and all DRM), although I am fine with Online Passes and this free DLC for buying new. If your spending 10+ million on a game, and well gamestop could sell the full game used and you see no money out of it, then yeah you can clearly see why they are doing it. Online passes are not a bad thing, they are here to make sure people support the pubs.

[quote name='Darknuke']If you want your game used be prepared to suffer the consequences of not supporting the company who made the game.[/QUOTE]

Might I ask why you are so avid about the consumer being the one punished for buying used?

As much as I want to pick this game up for $44.99, I'm thinking another retailer might throw about the same price discount in a form of a gift card on this when it releases retail next month (aka Target's $20 gift card each & TRU $35 gift card combo for SCV and FFXIII-2).

I'm more bothered by free DLC and such because I have two roomates with xboxes and we like to share games. Also I like to bring them to friends' houses to show them new stuff I buy, sometimes to suggest they buy it too. Or buying an older title that promises exclusive DLC, opening the box, and finding out the DLC is expired. DLC isn't deli meat; it shouldn't expire.

My only problem with dlc like this is for the few people who do not have an Xbox connected system. I know they are the minority but still. Online passes are totally ok since you have to be able to connect online anyway to take advantage of it so there is no loss, but with this, there are people who do not have an online connection which means even if they buy new they will miss out.

[quote name='wynams']There will also be day 1 DLC free to those purchasing new.

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...-by-online-pass.&p=52249&viewfull=1#post52249[/QUOTE]

Yeah, according to their forums, they wanted to surprise us with free Day 1 DLC for people who bought it new. If they had mentioned this all along, little to no one would be complaining. They don't mention it until a website posts it as a surprise withheld content, and the point of view is complete reversed.

As a company, transparency goes a long way to keep costumers informed and thus knowledgeable and happy. They hold this info until the last minute, and now they got a PR backlash in their hands and trying to put a positive spin on something that should have been a non issue.

Shame yet another online pass has to bring the release of otherwise a promising looking title down like this.

I was on the border of picking this game up on release date new but I don't like rewarding tactics of this nature so I'll pick it up when it goes down in price significantly in a month of two.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I love the idea of an "offline" pass. Pay for the game upfront just to get the disc - and then pay again to actually play the game. Great idea![/QUOTE]

Sarcasm noted, and agreed with. This really makes me want to wait until the price is much lower.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I love the idea of an "offline" pass. Pay for the game upfront just to get the disc - and then pay again to actually play the game. Great idea![/QUOTE]

Oh hey Batman: Arkham City, didn't see you there.

I don't get why people say fantasy games are generic. There are certainly fewer of them than the oft-maligned war shooters or the pixel indie retro platformers.

Doubt any of these protests against the passes to unlock the content or "DLC" are making a difference. More companies are doing it as time passes so it's probably nothing but beneficial to them. I don't approve of it, just saying. All comes down to how long you want to wait for the game if you want it at all.

I love when people complain about the online passes, and it actually affects whether or not you'll buy a title.

Give it another year or so, and I guess you won't be buying anything at all, since they're all going that route.

On this deal, it's a great price but the shipping bothers me. If I buy a new game on launch day, I want it on launch day... I don't want to wait 3-8 days for their free shipping, and even overnight pushes it well past retail price. I'd rather drive down to GS and pay $60 to have it that same day.

[quote name='Hillean']I love when people complain about the online passes, and it actually affects whether or not you'll buy a title.

Give it another year or so, and I guess you won't be buying anything at all, since they're all going that route.
[/QUOTE]

Since you're from the future and all, I guess we should all just believe what you say is going to happen right?

I personally believe the only true form of democracy left in this country is what you buy with your money and I spend my money with that idea in mind.

Anyone wanting to wait for a lower price should check the price trajectory of Dead Space 2. It came out last January about the same time and with the same force behind it. It would be a good analog.

Sucks that Amazon didn't PM this deal. I ebayed my Dowsing Rod for a good amount so i feel a bit better. I'm patient enough to wait for the rod to be released as DLC

[quote name='wynams']Might I ask why you are so avid about the consumer being the one punished for buying used?[/QUOTE]

(I realize this might not be the best place for this, but the question was asked here and I just wanted to let this out. For that reason, I'll use spoiler tags.)

Because the "consumer" is the one who gets the benefit of the developers work without contributing to the devs. Therefore, any "punishment" should be aimed at the "consumer".

I know no one here likes GameStop and publishers/devs, like them even less, but there are two things to keep in mind here: 1) GS *does* contribute to pubs/devs by constantly promoting their work in publications (GI, ads) and pushing pre-orders. 2) The "used consumer" does *nothing* to support the pubs/devs (absent buying some DLC or *maybe* a little word of mouth). And most importantly 3) GSes used business wouldnt exist if the "consumer" wasnt willing to both buy used and sell used.

So "consumers" are the ones who have created the second-hand market. So it's the "consumers" who should be targeted; either by drying up supply (making people want to keep the game longer) or drying up demand (making the used game a lesser product).

I do hate that they have resorted to the unlocks being "online". As someone mentioned, a legit new buyer of B:AC whose console is offline is denied access to the Catwoman content. That aint right. They need to work on a fix for that or only gate online content.

ON TOPIC: Is it this price in store too or online only?

There's no price tag in store that says it's $44.99 and it rings up as $59.99. I asked them if they would price match their website and they did. So just ask them to price match it and you should be fine.

bread's done
Back