Kirby Super Star Ultra: 9/22

[quote name='BlueLobstah']My thoughts exactly. But there's a Nintendo rep near my location, so maybe I should go berate them about a storage solution. :twisted:[/quote]

And Earthbound.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']My thoughts exactly. But there's a Nintendo rep near my location, so maybe I should go berate them about a storage solution. :twisted:[/quote]
I'm sure a Nintendo employee who has no decision making power in the company will enjoy getting berated over the lack of storage solution and Earthbound.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I'm sure a Nintendo employee who has no decision making power in the company will enjoy getting berated over the lack of storage solution and Earthbound.[/QUOTE]

It's a joke. I wouldn't expect a Nintendo rep to really know about (or care) what happens regarding actual software and hardware implementations. Those kinds of questions have already been posed to people like Reggie, and it usually gets shrugged off.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']It's a joke. I wouldn't expect a Nintendo rep to really know about (or care) what happens regarding actual software and hardware implementations. Those kinds of questions have already been posed to people like Reggie, and it usually gets shrugged off.[/quote]
I know I was joking too, I should of used a smiley. ;)

So I went to the event in Birmingham but left unimpressed (I showed up later, on my lunch break). There wasn't very many people there and there was no swag left over. Oh well. For being a "big PR event" it was kind of lackluster.

I didn't get any pictures, but someone else did of these floating kirby foam things:

kirbybubbles_01.jpg

[quote name='lilboo']What does it mean "Not fully multiplayer" or whatever? There's no mulitplayer or there's limited..?[/QUOTE]

Well it is, but only if you have two copies of the game (multi-card play). Download play only allows you to play mini-games. So, yeah, if you're willing to pay 2x the price, you can get full multiplayer play. Otherwise just a few mini-games.

EDIT: to clarify, in the original game (and with two copies of the DS game) you can play the full game coop. With only one copy you can only play minigames.

the only kirby game i've ever played was the very first Kirby Adventure on NES... loved that game... im super stoked

[quote name='crunchewy']Well it is, but only if you have two copies of the game (multi-card play). Download play only allows you to play mini-games. So, yeah, if you're willing to pay 2x the price, you can get full multiplayer play. Otherwise just a few mini-games.

EDIT: to clarify, in the original game (and with two copies of the DS game) you can play the full game coop. With only one copy you can only play minigames.[/QUOTE]

This is probably due to the limitation of the DS' internal memory. I would imagine that download play is only possible for the mini-games purely based on size alone. Disappointed yes, but I can't say I'm completely surprised.

Looks like you can get $5 off at Gamestop this coming week. Day one for sure!

[quote name='dkreegz515']the only kirby game i've ever played was the very first Kirby Adventure on NES... loved that game... im super stoked[/quote]
I've only played Kirby Adventure and Canvas Curse, so I'm also really excited for this game, since many people consider it the best Kirby.

Think I'll pick this up Tuesday. Never played it but liked some of the other Kirby games and my DS has been gathering dust for months.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']This is probably due to the limitation of the DS' internal memory. I would imagine that download play is only possible for the mini-games purely based on size alone. Disappointed yes, but I can't say I'm completely surprised.

Looks like you can get $5 off at Gamestop this coming week. Day one for sure![/QUOTE]

Just to warn anyone that's thinking of using the coupon for GameStop, It's $5 off, but GameStop is also selling the game for $35, whereas everywhere else is selling it for $30.

Just bought it and played through Spring Breeze and Gourmet Race. The controls aren't my cup of tea (A to jump instead of B, for one), but it's fine. But they took out the original 3 minigames! Hopefully you can unlock them later, but if you can't, them that's just awful. I was also kinda hoping that they would put in the original 4th level from Spring Breeze that was in the GB version, but apparently, they did not.

Grabbed my in store pick up a while ago, haven't had a chance to play yet. May not till tomorrow as I have some work to finish off and then have my bar trivia night.

Edit: Took a quick break and played through Spring Breeze and gave the three touch screen mini games a whirl. The mini games seem pretty lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked Gamefaqs, but they don't have any unlocks for it yet. Hopefully the original 3 minigames are there, otherwise I'm just gonna be sad.

I'm on the Great Cave Offensive now, and I'm really enjoying the game. What sets KSS apart from other Kirby games is that there are multiple moves you can do for each ability, which makes defeating enemies a lot more fun. Stomping on enemies with Suplex=win.

A-HA! I was correct! You DO get to unlock the original 3 minigames! I unlocked Megaton Punch last night, and I'm trying to beat the last(?) game, which will hopefully let me unlock the other two.

Played through Dyna Blade last night. Enjoying the game, though it seems like it will be over pretty quickly. But maybe some of the games I haven't gotten to yet are longer. A bit disappointed as I didn't read up enough and thought that Spring Breeze was the whole original GB game, not just 3 stages.

Ok, so I played some of the Great Cave Offensive on a work break and it does look like the later games are more substantive.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']A-HA! I was correct! You DO get to unlock the original 3 minigames! I unlocked Megaton Punch last night, and I'm trying to beat the last(?) game, which will hopefully let me unlock the other two.[/QUOTE]

This good news fails without a picture of Farnsworth. :nottalking:

farnsworth.jpg

There is good news tonight...

I think I may try to pick this up this afternoon, or tomorrow depending on when I have a chance to stop by Best Buy.

Man, this game is really short. It took 5 hours to beat and it is far easier than any other Kirby game. I kinda expect that since all Kirby games are short and easy. But the addition of Kirby's health, weapons/abilities stay with Kirby after a few hits(unlike the original they're gone within one hit) and partner system, makes things a whole lot easier. The hammer weapon is really broken. You can beat bosses with relative ease, even if you go brute force. They are ideal candidate for boss rush mode(The Arena and Helper to the Hero).

To be fair, he clearly said he thought it was much easier than other Kirby games....

5 hours? Damn, I was hoping it was longer than that. Oh well, will still take me a bit since I just play my DS here and there at night etc. and there's Goozex after that.

I was thinking about getting this but I think I will just wait and see if they release the original on the VC in the next year or 2. I already have a ton of awesome portable games.

I already 100 percented this last night. Of course, I didn't stop playing it since tuesday...

But yeah, it's a bit short. True Arena is way too difficult, since unlike the regular Arena, they give you no Maxim Tomatoes, and only give you 5 regular healing items. Meta Knightmare is way more fun than the Nightmare in Dreamland version, too.

Does anyone else feel like the sound is strangely quiet? I have to wear my earphones when I'm out or it's just barely audible. I don't recall any of my other games being like that.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Were the cut scenes in the original? I'm assuming they weren't.

They're compressed pretty badly. :cry:[/quote]
Do you really have to ask that? I didn't even play the original and I know the answer to that.

The reason they're so compressed is because they don't have that much space on a DS cart (IIRC the most common size is only 64 MB).

[quote name='Kaijufan']Do you really have to ask that? I didn't even play the original and I know the answer to that.

The reason they're so compressed is because they don't have that much space on a DS cart (IIRC the most common size is only 64 MB).[/QUOTE]

Apparently there were cut scenes in the original, they were just sprite based.

I'm not surprised that they are compressed, its just that they're compressed so much that they look terrible. I think YouTube videos are of higher quality. That's saying a lot though, since I'm enjoying the game thoroughly, and that's probably one of my few complaints.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Do you really have to ask that? I didn't even play the original and I know the answer to that.

The reason they're so compressed is because they don't have that much space on a DS cart (IIRC the most common size is only 64 MB).[/quote]

256 MB actually, they probably didn't want to pay extra for the space though. So they crammed it all on a 64 MB cart.

I think the only company that is constantly have their games over 100 mb is Squaresoft. They have to buy specialize carts to run their games. I still don't think it justifies the extra $10 cost when majority of them are remakes.

I need to find more time to play this. Played some more Great Cave Offensive last night. I'm enjoying it, but just haven't felt like playing my DS the past week or so.

[quote name='yukine']256 MB actually, they probably didn't want to pay extra for the space though. So they crammed it all on a 64 MB cart.[/quote]
I didn't say the biggest size was 64 MB, I said the most common size was 64 MB. ;)

[quote name='Kaijufan']I didn't say the biggest size was 64 MB, I said the most common size was 64 MB. ;)[/quote]

You edited your post. ;)

That's interesting. I found out that Kirby Super Star Ultra is over 100mb. Those cut scenes must push the file size, even though they're not quite as impressive.

I'm as done with this as I'll get. I haven't unlocked The True Arena or Megaton Punch yet, but those both sound lame and tough to unlock. I've got through The Arena (well at least past 13) and beat Helper to Hero with the Yo Yo Guy.

Looks like unlocking the other games takes either beating Arena completely or beating Helper to Hero with all 13 helpers....found conflicting reports in unlock guides. fuck either of those as I hate boss rush modes, especially when doing it just unlocks another boss rush mode and another lame sounding button pressing mini-game.

Oh well, time to throw this on Goozex. Overall it was decent, but just hard to get into with just having a bunch of short, chunks of games (really only the Great Cave Offensive and the Milky Way game had any substance). I'd give it a 6.5/10 overall.

Edit: That was quick, already matched up on Goozex, and it goes for $35 of points when the game was $30. I love that site, makes it much easier to take chances on games and ditch them for little to no cost if they end up being disappointments.

I'm thinking sort of doing this myself. I love Kirby, really I do, but I flew through it too, and if the last couple of games are nothing but boss modes (the regular boss mode was frustrating as hell, and I can't even use my favorite weapons in H2H because they're weak as hell against bosses only), then there's no use in keeping it. Actually I'm thinking of being nice and just giving it to my brothers and sisters to beat since they're hard up for new games lately. They should get through it just as quick since they all did Squeak Squad in less than a day.

Kirby Super Star is my favorite Kirby game. I rented and beat this the week of release via GameFly, and I already miss it. Hopefully a good deal will come within the next few months. The Meta Knight addition is actually very fun and doesn't feel as cheaply tacked on as most other games that add extra playable characters.

Still, with Kirby being my favorite Nintendo mascot, I think it's pretty sad that they had to resort to a port to keep this franchise alive. Kirby could use a big new game; I really wish that 3D GCN one from a few years back hadn't been canceled. Nintendo's other icons (Link, Mario, Samus) were great in their respective transitions from 2D to 3D, and I had high hopes for Kirby.

Any Kirby fan who hasn't played the SNES original will certainly enjoy this game. There's a lot more to do in this than in Kirby's other recent offerings.

bread's done
Back