Kirby's Epic Yarn™

[quote name='icedrake523']Reading this thread makes me glad I'm a childless bachelor.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Reading your response to this thread makes me glad you're a childless bachelor also.

:)

[quote name='KingBroly']
Yarn Tank...in space. Yarn Tank...in space.

Game of the Year[/QUOTE]
But what about Other M?! :)

This game is incredible. It gives me the same vibe that Super Mario World always gave me.

I have to sit down when I play this game because I just can't stand the cuteness.

Videos online do not do it a shred of justice. I wasn't expecting the music to be this outstanding either, which feels nostalgic yet modern. I think of it as Snoopy meets Mario 64, with jazzy tunes and upbeat melodies.

The game is beyond a work of art.

[quote name='nbballard']But what about Other M?! :)

This game is incredible. It gives me the same vibe that Super Mario World always gave me.[/QUOTE]

Eh...I've gotten a bit sour on Other M to be honest with you. I'm really torn on it sometimes. Just read my latest blog entry on the subject.

I wish I weren't such a completest.

I've been playing these damn "mini-games" (find the monkeys, win the races, etc.) for the past couple hours. I'm right
before fighting Yin-Yarn
and I have to 100% everything. :/

Outside of the, IMO, padded missions, I love the game. Gonna be sad to see it end.

Phew!

100% completion. File shows 17 hours and 48 minutes!

Truly a great game. The *only* qualm I had was those boring mini-games with the apartment tenants.

(Oh, and maybe the easy difficulty...but it *is* a Kirby game.)

[quote name='Rig']
Truly a great game. The *only* qualm I had was those boring mini-games with the apartment tenants.[/QUOTE]

I'm stuck in two of the minigames - the Buster training level where you have like 15 seconds to kill 4 guys (there's a huge row of spikes, with a ufo and 3 waddles at the end), and the Beadrix level where there's 3 money bags and you have to get 250 beads. Any tips?

[quote name='Multicron']I'm stuck in two of the minigames - the Buster training level where you have like 15 seconds to kill 4 guys (there's a huge row of spikes, with a ufo and 3 waddles at the end), and the Beadrix level where there's 3 money bags and you have to get 250 beads. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't remember that Buster one...

The Beadrix one, I do know. You simply want to grab each of the money bag guys with a "quick unravel" (pressing 1 instead of holding it). That is, you don't want to pick them up, just unravel them quickly. They'll spray the most beads that way.

Can you play it in co-op? If you can't, I'm hesitant to say yes since it's so short, albeit visual witchcraft and has a lot of side stuff to do.

[quote name='icedrake523']Is it worth getting it on Amazon since they're offering a $10 credit with it?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has a $10 credit? They didn't before. Good to know, but I think I'm going to get it at TRU for the $10 gift card and free guide (even if it is lame.) The kmart deal is nice, but then you're locking yourself into more hair pulling experiences in trying use the $20 credit (plus you can't buy, say, a $19.99 points card with the $20 coupons. Lame.

Yeah I'm pissed that Amazon has a credit with this now. I ordered it 2 damn days earlier than I should've. They NEVER add game credits after a game ships I swear.

Still really enjoying this game. That said
Am I the only one who dislikes the train stages? I can get Kirby going upside down and in the wrong direction easily, but creating a normal track is a nightmare. Anybody else struggle with these? Any tips? It's definitely not as smooth as Canvas Curse.

Oh and
While I enjoyed the 'Magician' boss, and still got a gold, I felt like I got hit way too often. Aside from taking the cards and throwing them back at him, what else can you do?

[quote name='KingBroly']Can you play it in co-op? If you can't, I'm hesitant to say yes since it's so short, albeit visual witchcraft and has a lot of side stuff to do.[/QUOTE]

One of my friend's is interested in playing it and I do like Kirby games.

It's either use my $20 credit and get it (it's also in my Gold Box for $47 today) or Toys R Us for the $10 GC and guide (have a $17 GC I've had for almost a year).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started this yesterday. Now I have to do nothing else until I finish it. This is one of the prettiest games ever, IMO. The game play is wonderful. The difficulty sucks though - is it even possible to die??

EDIT: I really don't like the Wii generally but there are like 4 or 5 games that are miles above anything on the other consoles. I don't get it.

I don't think you can actually die, but the challenge comes from completing the worlds precisely, so that you can open up everything. Anything less than gold, and some worlds stay hidden. There're also some mini-games that get unlocked, and of course there's the 'how do I get that extra gem over there' factor.

There's something endlessly adorable about a game where you decorate an apartment, and then you go out to pwn bitches, and then doods send you messages about "Kirby I came over!" so you go chill with them, and they float around liking all your stuff, and then you go to THEIR place, and they just want to play hide and seek.

Jesus. Real life isn't this much fun.

I just bought this game from K-mart to take advantage of the deal since I got paid yesterday. This game is a fucking cuteness overload. It is so relaxing and peaceful to play and it makes me feel like I am 5. I love it.

I never was much a Kirby fan compared to Nintendo's other IP's. That is to say, I like Mario and Zelda the most and Metroid and F-Zero on the same next up and Kirby is like Pokemon for me, I don't dislike em I can play em, and I have and liked it but I don't go out of my way to get the games really.

But I got Epic Yarn and even being a departure from the staple gameplay Kirby normally would have its a blast. People who dismiss this game on the grounds of 'being for kids' don't know what they are missing. That or they just have no soul... :)

[quote name='javeryh']I really don't like the Wii generally but there are like 4 or 5 games that are miles above anything on the other consoles. I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I have been playing my Wii a lot more recently. I picked up this, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and NBA Jam and all three of those games are great.

NBA Jam could have benefited from a common sense adviser.
"So in the Remix Tour, you can't change the difficulty. It gives a consistent play experience, and a match against good opponents should be, in turn, more difficult."
"Excellent."
"Also, hard difficulty is the same thing as a cheating AI."
"Great!"

I ordered it from amazon with the $10 credit because I couldn't get to TRU in time. Oh well. Still have to wait until late November before I get to try it. :cry:

Oh, ball of spikes that goes up and down and bounces all around, how I hate thee. I hate thee the most when I've been a good boy and gotten all my jewels, and then some genius places you right before the end of the level (and not anywhere else), so I could trip and lose all my shiny jewels. End of rant...

Almost there...as my 6 year old likes to say: 'we just need to get our other sock back.'

How hard is this thing? My girls (5 and 6) who aren't great at games but do enjoy them want it, as does my wife. It is easy to get into for beginner gamers?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']How hard is this thing? My girls (5 and 6) who aren't great at games but do enjoy them want it, as does my wife. It is easy to get into for beginner gamers?[/QUOTE]

My 6 year old played it this weekend with me. She's OK at it but needed help in some spots. My 3 year old also played and he is just hilarious - he could finish the first level and a few others except for any part that required you to go behind the level (through a door). He was really annoying his sister by grabbing Kirby and running to the left. We were cracking up watching them play.

The good thing is that I'm up to 20,000 jewels or something because my kids played for a while.

[quote name='The Crotch']I believe they're called "Gordos".[/QUOTE]

Yep. Gordo, which is a bit ironic, since it means 'fat' in Spanish. If they hit you, you go from 'Fat' with jewels to having nada and hence slimmed down:).

*Edit*
Completed just about 100% except for a few secret items sprinkled along a few stages. It's worth getting the high scores on the bosses, since
the 2 extra stages that open up after, are usually tons of fan service, and just fun to play. This is particularly true of the last boss.

Glad the last boss wasn't as tough as Metaknight, 'cause that fight was simply cheap at some points.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I started playing this Monday evening.

Oh. My. God. The Epic Cuteness (TM) of this game is just... sickening, really.

It's also a really good game. The multiplayer can get annoying at some points (accidentally picking up your friends and throwing them can prove annoying when you do it time and time again...) but overall this is a great game.

A friend told me earlier today something that seems to fit: It's like an easy version of Super Mario Bros, with Kirby instead of Mario. Which is really what this game is to me.

[quote name='Altanis']So, I started playing this Monday evening.

Oh. My. God. The Epic Cuteness (TM) of this game is just... sickening, really.

It's also a really good game. The multiplayer can get annoying at some points (accidentally picking up your friends and throwing them can prove annoying when you do it time and time again...) but overall this is a great game.

A friend told me earlier today something that seems to fit: It's like an easy version of Super Mario Bros, with Kirby instead of Mario. Which is really what this game is to me.[/QUOTE]

Doing some of last few stages with friends and family are a quick way of ending a friendship:lol: or a marriage. Coordinated jumping while avoiding enemies (throwing your partner across the screen) and capturing jewels is not very much fun.

There's been a couple spots in this game that just frustrated me trying to get the gold medal - specifically
the 4x4 race in Snow Land and where I'm at right now, Cloud Palace I think in Dream Land where the buttons are on tracks and you have to jump from one to another.
. I'm not amazing at games, but there is some challenge here.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']There's been a couple spots in this game that just frustrated me trying to get the gold medal - specifically
the 4x4 race in Snow Land and where I'm at right now, Cloud Palace I think in Dream Land where the buttons are on tracks and you have to jump from one to another.
. I'm not amazing at games, but there is some challenge here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for the sake of my mental sanity I settled for a silver on Cloud Palace, and have no intentions of going back...as that took quite a few tries.

I know what you guys mean, but I have a little contrary anecdote. I was playing the game with my wife and it was that level in world 2 with the constant flow of water. She kept getting hit by the bees and falling way back and, of course, we lost pretty much all of our jewels in the process.

We progress past that part and manage enough to get a bronze medal and I'm pretty satisfied at that point because we literally had zero jewels coming out of the water area. So, we're running to the end bell and she snags it and we get the double star bonus, ending up with a gold medal after all.

It was pretty awesome as my wife is not a gamer and generally prefers to watch rather than play. So this was a nice confidence boost.

Love this game - picked it up last week at Kmart for the coupon and also snagged Metroid: Other M for cheap! Been having a blast with it, even my non-game wife is having fun playing/watching! It's nice to see a game that brings back the nostalgia of platform gaming doing so well! :applause:

I can't believe I'm saying this.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is game of the year 2010. It even beats Endless Ocean 2, the only other obvious contender.

press.nintendo.com
user: guest
pass: nintendo

Get the Epic Yarn press kit.

Absolutely loving the game. There's something so stupidly heartwarming about people coming over to check out your place, and watching Kirby fall asleep while they float around.

Music is phenomenal. I can see how a lot of it doesn't "feel" like Kirby, with the jazzy tunes and wide variety of styles.

I am super glad I went over to eBay and picked up some of those E3 Kirby patches and one of the canvas bags. This game is just incredible.

[quote name='Strell']It looks more like Yoshi's Story from the N64. I also think this game is absolutely beautiful, and I'm simply glad to see another 2D game coming out. Not going to proclaim it as an Earth shattering game - just a fun one. I mean c'mon man - unzipping/crumpling the landscape? That's awesome.[/QUOTE]

I also think so.

I'm almost finished with the 3rd world.

I think I found one of my favorite levels in any game ever.

It's the Melody Town level or whatever it's called.
Kirby as a fire truck is amazingly done, I think. It's not perfect, but of the few levels I've done that you morphed into a fire truck in, it's really well done, and the platforming is really good.

Finished this the other day, I ended up getting 100% on everything except the fabric (I had more beads saved up than I could ever spend). Is there anything special that occurs if you 100% it all? I doubt I will play through all the minigame levels to unlock the fabrics.

Also, totally sweet game.
Kirby Tank is my favorite, followed closely by Kirby Dolphin.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Finished this the other day, I ended up getting 100% on everything except the fabric (I had more beads saved up than I could ever spend). Is there anything special that occurs if you 100% it all? I doubt I will play through all the minigame levels to unlock the fabrics.

Also, totally sweet game.
Kirby Tank is my favorite, followed closely by Kirby Dolphin.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think I got anything when I got 100% complete.

I started playing this today and I am in love. Kirby's Adventure was one of the first games I got when I was a little kid and it was the first game I ever beat.

The game is just so fun and ridiculously cute. It's probably my favorite Wii game of 2010. :bouncy:

I'm through I think 4 worlds and am about halfway through the 5th.

I do agree with mrs shipwreck's review. There are some levels that are extremely easy and then some that are frustrating to get gold in.

bread's done
Back