Kmart.com - PS3 60GB - $499

[quote name='dsella']Why aren't people just getting 40 or 80's? Why does everybody try to find the 20 and 60's?[/quote]
Because they are backwards compatible with all games, and upconverts the games.

I went ahead and got one. Still alot of money, but I would really rather have the 60gb and they are getting so hard to find. Tax was 30 bux... bleh! Shipping was only 8.XX though.

[quote name='cerial442']Because they are backwards compatible with all games, and upconverts the games.[/quote]

Exactly. I wouldn't want some backwards compatiblity with a 80 gb so the 20 or 60 is the way to go

I recently bought a used 60 GB for $349. If I had not already did that, and had the money, I'd bite on this. It's not easy to find an online retailer that sells these new. If you want a NEW 60 GB, you should buy it now.

Bought a 60GB PS3 at my local ghetto K-Mart last night. Might want to check the store nearest you if you don't want to pay shipping.

[quote name='cerial442']Because they are backwards compatible with all games, and upconverts the games.[/quote]

What do you mean, it upconverts the games?

Doesn't the 80GB upscale the ps1/ps2 games, at least the one it can play?

[quote name='NJC']What do you mean, it upconverts the games?

Doesn't the 80GB upscale the ps1/ps2 games, at least the one it can play?[/quote]

Yes it does.

[quote name='dsella']Wow..

If you have a PS3, why would you play old games? You could just buy a PS2 for that...[/quote]

Because PS2 games look like garbage on an HDTV. With the upscaling they look wonderful. I bought one at Kmart three weeks ago. No one shops at Kmart and that is why they have 'em I assume.

[quote name='dsella']Wow..

If you have a PS3, why would you play old games? You could just buy a PS2 for that...[/quote]

I was thinking this was a great deal at first, but then again my family already has a PS2 and the 80GB version looks like a better deal to me. :)

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I was thinking this was a great deal at first, but then again my family already has a PS2 and the 80GB version looks like a better deal to me. :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point..

[quote name='dsella']Exactly my point..[/quote]

It depends on what your priorities are. My main gaol was to get PS2 games looking good on an HDTV. For that I needed a PS3 which is BC with upscaling. While 80GB does that, the 60GB model has the best BC since it is actual PS2 hardware and not software emulation doing the work. Next to no problems playing any PS2 games on a 60GB and they look great on an HDTV. if you are not real concerned with PS2 games or how they look on an HDTV, then by all means one of the other models is the way to go.

I forgot (possibly selectively) that the 60gb were $500. Damn that's a lot. To me though, for whatever reason the PS2 full bc is a priority. I'm gonna hold out until the end of the month to see what the hubub about the 80gb, new price point ect. is. Here's to hoping for a price drop with some sort of bc. Not like the gimped 40gb.

[quote name='LuisRM']I forgot (possibly selectively) that the 60gb were $500. Damn that's a lot. To me though, for whatever reason the PS2 full bc is a priority. I'm gonna hold out until the end of the month to see what the hubub about the 80gb, new price point ect. is. Here's to hoping for a price drop with some sort of bc. Not like the gimped 40gb.[/QUOTE]

Gimped? Sorry that most people buy a PLAYSTATION 3 to play PLAYSTATION 3 games and not PLAYSTATION 2.

There is nothing wrong with a PS2 on an HDTV, I play my PS2 on my HDTV using component cables and it looks beautiful.

To every one that does not have a ps3 60 or 20 and is complaning that people are buying a ps3 to play ps2 games. QFT!!! You probably dont have a 60 or a 20 so you dont see the advantages so let me go over them

First Upscaling looks much better.

Second I can play Ps2 games with good wireless controls

Third the virtual memory card slot makes it easy for me to download cool saves(like the ones for fire pro)

4th SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes you can keep your ps2 to play ps2 games but then you have two consoles cluttering up valueable space that could be done with one.

It amazes me that people like to bitch about the reasons people want something just because they think it stupid.

Ps3 60 or 20 all the way because that is the SUPERIOR VERSION!

[quote name='dsella']Gimped? Sorry that most people buy a PLAYSTATION 3 to play PLAYSTATION 3 games and not PLAYSTATION 2.[/quote]

I think people will start buying a PlayStation 3 to play PlayStation 3 games when there are more than two or three games worth owning for PlayStation 3. Anyway, people want the backwards compatibility because not everyone likes clutter and unnecessary game consoles in their house. Sony tauted BC as a selling feature and folks like me with very nice PS2 game collections would like for Sony to have stuck by their word.

Sucks this sold out as I would've bought one. What a coincidence, I actually went to the local K-Mart today to look for them and they only had the 40gig tard-packs. Alas...:cry:

[quote name='filldoh1']To every one that does not have a ps3 60 or 20 and is complaning that people are buying a ps3 to play ps2 games. QFT!!! You probably dont have a 60 or a 20 so you dont see the advantages so let me go over them

First Upscaling looks much better.

Second I can play Ps2 games with good wireless controls

Third the virtual memory card slot makes it easy for me to download cool saves(like the ones for fire pro)

4th SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes you can keep your ps2 to play ps2 games but then you have two consoles cluttering up valueable space that could be done with one.

It amazes me that people like to bitch about the reasons people want something just because they think it stupid.

Ps3 60 or 20 all the way because that is the SUPERIOR VERSION![/QUOTE]
Agreed on all points.

[quote name='dsella']Gimped? Sorry that most people buy a PLAYSTATION 3 to play PLAYSTATION 3 games and not PLAYSTATION 2.[/quote]
I bought mine more for the BluRay player and to make sure I had the best backwards compatibility that Sony made. I have 160 PS2 games, and my current PS2 has been running for 6+ years. I still haven't played God of War II, Metal Gear Solid 3, Soul Calbur III, or Odin Sphere yet, and heard about the various glitches with software emulation on the 80GB version. I don't want to play the aforementioned games on the PS2; I want to see them upscaled on the PS3. Other than Uncharted, which I'll wait for a few price drops, there are really no other games I want on PS3 that are currently out. LittleBigPlanet, MGS4, and whatever Team ICO have up their sleeve are the only upcoming exclusive games that have garnered my interest, but not much else other than that.

Why are people using up the motor on their PS3's to play PS2 games... Keep your PS2 and play all your old games on that and use your PS3 system for PS3 games. Come on look at your PS2 it does not take up that much space, there is room for both. I use component cables to hook-up my PS2 to my HDTV and it looks beautiful.

[quote name='nermal15']Why are people using up the motor on their PS3's to play PS2 games... Keep your PS2 and play all your old games on that and use your PS3 system for PS3 games. Come on look at your PS2 it does not take up that much space, there is room for both. I use component cables to hook-up my PS2 to my HDTV and it looks beautiful.[/QUOTE]
yes, it take up a lot of space. there is no room for both. i just bought the ps3 and it's the biggest console i have now. i got it last night, but i didn't hook it up yet because i got limited space. right now i have a flat panel tv sitting on top of tv stand/entertainment center that houses a cable box, wii, xbox360, surround, and games/dvds. now i gotta shove a ps3 in there too.

but if all you people who bash concept of backwards compatibilty had it your way. i would have to cram a gamecube, a wii, a xbox, a xbox360, a ps1, a ps2, and a ps3 together.

if you are not real concerned with PS2 games or how they look on an HDTV, then by all means one of the other models is the way to go.

I think the main reason I would buy the 60gig would be to upscale all the PS2 games. I already have wireless controller, and console space isn't an issue,

but is it worth $500?

I would not say that I have a lot of space on my entertainment stand, but I can fit my X-Box, X-Box 360, PS2, PS3, Gamecube and Wii all in there with no problem... Come on just get creative and I am sure there is room for everything. Also, I still have room for my DVD recorder, Tivo, DVD player, Cable box and a 32" LCD TV

At least as of right now, it seems to be back in stock. I can't afford it, and if I were to go Sony, I'd pick up a PS2 since there's a lot on there I've missed, but still, for those interested.

Why does it seem like almost every topic about the older model PS3 systems turns into this nonsense? Is it really that hard to believe that people actually want the highest possible level of BC? Geez.

[quote name='prence']So the 80 gig has less BC than the 60 gig? Thats an odd way of upgrading.[/quote]
Correct. The 80GB PS3s have software emulation that doesn't work as well as the 20/60GB version PS3s which had the actual PS2 chipset built in. 40GBs have no backwards compatibility.

Part of me has to wonder if this was all an elaborate sales tactic by Sony to move those systems. It certainly got me to bite. If hardware compatibility was never messed with, I'd still be on the fence. I have to wonder if eventually Sony will release another model with hardware compatibility again, and announce it's "back by popular demand -- for a limited time", to get all the people that are still trying to get one of those systems. I, for one, wouldn't put it past them.

So does the 80 gb upconvert PS2 games, seems that yes and no have been said so if that could be cleared up I would appreciate it.

[quote name='kaw']Correct. The 80GB PS3s have software emulation that doesn't work as well as the 20/60GB version PS3s which had the actual PS2 chipset built in. 40GBs have no backwards compatibility.

Part of me has to wonder if this was all an elaborate sales tactic by Sony to move those systems. It certainly got me to bite. If hardware compatibility was never messed with, I'd still be on the fence. I have to wonder if eventually Sony will release another model with hardware compatibility again, and announce it's "back by popular demand -- for a limited time", to get all the people that are still trying to get one of those systems. I, for one, wouldn't put it past them.[/QUOTE]

I think you're reading way to much into it.

Basically Sony can produce the 80 with software emulation cheaper than they can the 60 with extra hardware. So they get a bigger profit off of each unit sold.

That's why many argue the the 60 is the "best." Since 20 extra gigs probably isn't a big deal (especially since its easy to replace a PS3 hd) whereas full BC is an issue for some.

[quote name='kaw']Correct. The 80GB PS3s have software emulation that doesn't work as well as the 20/60GB version PS3s which had the actual PS2 chipset built in. 40GBs have no backwards compatibility.

Part of me has to wonder if this was all an elaborate sales tactic by Sony to move those systems. It certainly got me to bite. If hardware compatibility was never messed with, I'd still be on the fence. I have to wonder if eventually Sony will release another model with hardware compatibility again, and announce it's "back by popular demand -- for a limited time", to get all the people that are still trying to get one of those systems. I, for one, wouldn't put it past them.[/quote]

Interesting. It definitely sounds like that was the tactic and looks like it is working brilliantly so far.

[quote name='cerial442']Yes it does.[/quote]
My wife bought me the 60 AND 80 at Christmas and let me keep whichever one I wanted.

I only have 4-5 PS2 games anymore anyway so I kept the 80GB. Plus the 80 was part of the wal-mart deal with free Motostorm (in box as usual) + free Heavenly Sword... heck yeah

so i guess my point is BC = no concern for me... and I wanted the extra slots on the 80.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Why does it seem like almost every topic about the older model PS3 systems turns into this nonsense? Is it really that hard to believe that people actually want the highest possible level of BC? Geez.[/quote]

Agreed. No one is bashing the system. BC is an important issue for a lot of people. But apparently not a priority for Sony, which is a shame. It's the same with the 360 and the BC issues it (still) has.

[quote name='v0yce']I think you're reading way to much into it.

Basically Sony can produce the 80 with software emulation cheaper than they can the 60 with extra hardware. So they get a bigger profit off of each unit sold.

That's why many argue the the 60 is the "best." Since 20 extra gigs probably isn't a big deal (especially since its easy to replace a PS3 hd) whereas full BC is an issue for some.[/quote]

Maybe I am reading too much into it. It is cheaper for Sony to produce the software BC, but it has to be virtually the same cost to put that in the 40GB model and they didn't. There're now rumors (see Joystiq and Kotaku) that the 80GB model is also going the way of the dodo. That'll leave no models with BC.

You can bet that'll spur another sales rush to get the remaining 20/60/80GB versions if there currently isn't a SKU with BC available. Then when the dust settles with that they'll release a model with BC to cash in on the people that missed out.

I just can't help but think one of the largest corporations in the world, along with a large contingent of sales and marketing teams wouldn't have thought about these bullying tactics to help spur console sales.

I got my 60GB PS3 at the local TRU, they have really poor inventory management, so they thought they hadnt anymore 60 GB model, till I asked some cleck to go and look in the warehouse and guess what? they had at at least 2

I went yesterday to this TRU again (Wilmington NC) and saw they have a ticket for the 60GB so they must still have 1 at least, if anyone wants to give it a try

And yeah, backwards compatibility rocks, u can play PS2 games in hi def with wireless controllers -no vibration though =(- Infinite number of virtual memory cards that you will never loose and you can turn it on/off without leaving your couch xD

And yes, there are no good PS3 games, weel just a few but nothing great for me, Im waiting for MGS4 and FFXIII, the rest of the AAA titles are better on 360

[quote name='nermal15']I would not say that I have a lot of space on my entertainment stand, but I can fit my X-Box, X-Box 360, PS2, PS3, Gamecube and Wii all in there with no problem... Come on just get creative and I am sure there is room for everything. Also, I still have room for my DVD recorder, Tivo, DVD player, Cable box and a 32" LCD TV[/QUOTE]
i don't know how creative i can get without a wall mount for my tv. that would solve everything, but i dont' want to put that in my apartment, that i'll probably be moving out of soon. but still, it's nice to have access to multiple gaming platforms without having the trouble of limited a/v input and power wiring. things get messy

[quote name='dsella']Gimped? Sorry that most people buy a PLAYSTATION 3 to play PLAYSTATION 3 games and not PLAYSTATION 2.[/QUOTE]
who's this "most"?????

because everyone i know w/a ps3 bought it because they could play their ps2 games.....

i guess the large number i know is a "few" right??? hahahahaha

Yes that is true, but for those of us who want to replay our old games to the fullest the 60gb and the 20gb is the way to go.

I guess I'm with the minority, but I was an xbox guy. When I got my ps3 I picked up God of War 1+2, Devil May Cry 3SE and a few others that I never got to play in their entirety. I also picked up all 6 DDR games...yeah I'm a dork....so much better than the (original) xbox ultramix ones:bouncy:

For those who don't know, the 20/60 GB versions have both the processor and the graphics card from the PS2. The 80 GB loses the processor and emulates the processor in software, which is why it has partial compatibility. The 40 GB model drops the graphics card as well. This means that emulation is a much more difficult task, because the graphics chipset must now also be emulated. Therefore, it is not possible to add 80 GB style emulation to the 40 GB unit, there must be a new emulation engine to replace the other lost chipset (the graphics card). Basically, if the 80 GB goes away, then some of the PS2 games will eventually be difficult to play. I consider video games to be high art. I really do. My collections contains treasures, things that not everyone has or appreciates. If all you care about is a better looking Madden or the next Halo, then you don't care about BC. If you want your children to be able to play Katamari Damacy, or DDR Disney (PS1) you'll want it available on a console you can get parts and service for.

Go ahead, just try to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. You'll need an original Xbox in working condition. I just bought a brand new XBOX yesterday. I lament that the 360's BC is incomplete, and I resent Sony's strategy with BC on the PS3. I got a 60 GB, but the attitude towards BC means Indigo Prophecy may never be fixed. (It still doesn't work on the 60GB).

Sony took the chips out to force you to buy PS3 games so they can make some profit. The chips cost nothing. I heard an analyst put the savings at under $10 for BOTH chips. But me scaring up an old copy of ICO and enjoying it with my new DualShock 3 with rumble (be here next month) on my PS3 in high def is not going to make Sony any royalties. Same with Gran Turismo 4.

The problem of having on old console is that it's an old console. Eventually you can't get parts or controllers for them.

I also just bought brand new N64 controllers from Nintendo. When I play Zelda, I want the rumble when I go past a magic point. These things are treasures whose greatness is only appreciated later.

A friend of mine recently sought out a copy of Final Fantasy VII and played it with his brother who he hadn't seen in years. He enjoyed it immensely, on his PS2. What happens five years from now when I want to fire up Rayman Revolution and can't find a PS2 memory card when I need one?

For me, BC is a huge thing, worth every penny. My time on the gaming time is rare, and I deserve to be able to enjoy it to the fullest. I actually hope Sony brings back BC because they realize how important it is. I agree it may have been a trick to get me to buy a 60 GB, it worked. I wouldn't own one yet if they were still all BC.

Anyway, those of you who only care about what's new should get the 40 GB version and pay full price for all the new games. Me, I'm too much of a cheap ass, I like to play the older stuff again.

Nate

bread's done
Back