Kmart messed up again.

Negative

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So I go into my local K-mart on Saturday, to find God of War labeled 19.99, under the description written something along the lines of "PSG: 764", so I wait around for the electronics guy to come around so I can ask how much it really is. He never comes, so I leave. I go today and find it still under the same label/price, now, for the pro's out there, any chance I can mention something tp them to sell it at that price? I mean, its been there for like 5 days already, either nobody has bought one, or they are priced at that (doubt it). So do I go, or do I let this go?

If it is priced on the game for $20, by law they have to give it at you at that price. If it's on a rack labeled that price, and the price doesn't have the name listed next to it, then they don't have to sell it to you for that price. Because it sn't false advertising, it's just in a bin with an old or wrong tag.

So which is it? I would give it a shot.

And grab a few for CAG'ers, while you're at it. See if it scans at $20 or $50. If it scans at $20, you may have found a new sale.

[quote name='Scorch']And grab a few for CAG'ers, while you're at it. See if it scans at $20 or $50. If it scans at $20, you may have found a new sale.[/QUOTE]

That would be amazing...
My advice, try to buy the game and tell them it says 19.99 on it. They should manually override for you, at least that was my experience when BB sold me Pokemon Leaf Green for 25 right after it came out.

Just asking at K-Mart is often a huge hassle, however.

In the Electronics department there's either: 1) Nobody there, or 2) Some old lady who has no idea what's going on.

Tell them you want to buy it, have them ring it up. If it rings up for $50 (probably will), point out the price tag on there ... if you're lucky, they won't bother to look and they'll just give it for $20. More than likely they'll tell you it was in the wrong place on the rack and you will have to pay $50.

It's on the store shelf behind the glass, but the thing is that the name that it's listed under is some nonsense letters that I have no idea what game should go there, if theres one at all. In any case, I'll stop by tomorrow during my lunch hour, if were lucky, I wouldn't not mind at all picking up more for you guys, thats IF they still sell them to me at that price. ;)

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']It's on the store shelf behind the glass, but the thing is that the name that it's listed under is some nonsense letters that I have no idea what game should go there, if theres one at all. In any case, I'll stop by tomorrow during my lunch hour, if were lucky, I wouldn't not mind at all picking up more for you guys, thats IF they still sell them to me at that price. ;)[/QUOTE]

good luck brother, if it rings up $50 i can almost put money on it that you can get it for $20 if you just stick to your guns. I doubt you could get more than one copy but if you can more power to you.

I've pulled this off in Target twice ... their overnight stockers sometimes put returns or new releases wherever they feel like it. The CSRs that I've met have been easy to work with but angry at other employees for putting the games in the wrong place. I got Mario Party 6 for $30 a few weeks after release, and Minish cap for $15 on the day it was released.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']It's on the store shelf behind the glass, but the thing is that the name that it's listed under is some nonsense letters that I have no idea what game should go there, if theres one at all. In any case, I'll stop by tomorrow during my lunch hour, if were lucky, I wouldn't not mind at all picking up more for you guys, thats IF they still sell them to me at that price. ;)[/QUOTE]

yo if its sealed ill give you 28 shipped (a few extra for your troubles). i definatly need this game

email me at [email protected]
or pm me here

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If it is priced on the game for $20, by law they have to give it at you at that price. If it's on a rack labeled that price, and the price doesn't have the name listed next to it, then they don't have to sell it to you for that price. Because it sn't false advertising, it's just in a bin with an old or wrong tag.

So which is it? I would give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Can you point out this law somewhere online or a book I would be able to find it in? I feel it would be very helpful to me in the future.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If it is priced on the game for $20, by law they have to give it at you at that price. If it's on a rack labeled that price, and the price doesn't have the name listed next to it, then they don't have to sell it to you for that price. Because it sn't false advertising, it's just in a bin with an old or wrong tag.

So which is it? I would give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

This is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves - people who quote "the law" but don't have any idea what they're talking about. I am assuming you are in the good ole' USA (not Canada, where the laws are much more harsh towards retailers). If so, a price, whether marked on the shelf or on an item itself is legally recognized as an advertisement by the seller for the buyer to "offer" that price. In other words, LEGALLY speaking, when you go into K-Mart and the Gamecubes are priced $99.99, in terms of the law K-Mart is inviting you to offer them $99.99 for a Gamecube. You are free to offer them $89.00 for it all you want, but they will turn you down. Think that's dumb? Who cares. That's the way the law is written.

A price printed ON an item is usually an MSRP (Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price). Trust me, if manufacturers COULD set the price on an item, they WOULD. Manufacturers often try to set the price of their products with an MSRP, but they are not able to set the actual price. Let's say Konami actually DID carry out the dreaded reprint of Suikoden II and made an additional 1,000 of the game with "$20 Greatest Hits" printed on the front. Do you think that five years from now if the value of this game goes back up to $100 and you own a game store and come across a case of these still sealed, you are FORCED to sell it for $20 becase it's printed on the game? I don't think so.

Or better, if you walk into Best Buy and the price tag they printed out accidentally contains a typo that says the plasma screen TV is $999 instead of $9,999, believe it or not they are not required to sell you the TV at a $9,000 discount. You bring the TV to the front of the store an offer them $999, and they turn you down.

America is great economically because, among other things, we do a pretty good job of trying to protect the interests of honest people against honest mistakes and people who would take advantage of honest mistakes.

Go for it OP. What do you have to lose? Tell them you want to buy it, have them ring it up. If it rings up for $50 (probably will), point out the price tag on there and they'll probably give it to and if they don't, just keep pointing out the sticker showing its price and maybe they'll concede.

[quote name='chosen1s']America is great economically because, among other things, we do a pretty good job of trying to protect the interests of honest people against honest mistakes and people who would take advantage of honest mistakes.[/QUOTE]

A lot of times the store will give it to you anyway, if it isn't unreasonable. I know when I worked at CC, sometimes they'd reduce a price of an item even if the label that it was under clearly stated that the sale price was for a different item. Then again, I suppose my store was a rarity.

The tag doesn't even say the game title, you can point to it all day but that isn't going to change. I doubt you'll get it unless you get super lucky with a cashier who is having a I hate the company day.

When I was working at EB, we just would basically say "sorry, it's tagged wrong."

I mean, that's just how it is. What's stopping someone (this is the say price tags are like the lame EB ones where they just have a price and EB Games printed on it) from carefully taking off a tag from another game and sticking it on that one?

...then again, I've noticed new titles at EB actually have price tags with the game title on them.

Anyhoo, worth a shot. Maybe you WILL get that old grandma (that's redundant, haw) working there who doesn't know the difference between God of War and, um, that new Gwen Stefani CD.

[quote name='alongx']A lot of times the store will give it to you anyway, if it isn't unreasonable. I know when I worked at CC, sometimes they'd reduce a price of an item even if the label that it was under clearly stated that the sale price was for a different item. Then again, I suppose my store was a rarity.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you, and I think that is a good way of doing business because it keeps customers happy and reinforces the idea in their mind that the retailer is not trying to take advantage of them.

The thing that really gets me is when people feel entitled to profit from others' mistakes. Then insisting that the "law" is on their side...There used to be a kid in gradeschool who horded his favorite markers and if someone asked him if they could borrow his he'd say "No! The teacher promised me I could use them!" It's annoying that he thinks the teacher's permission to allow him to use the markers entitled him to be a little punk. But then his hiding behind the teacher because he's a little coward was even worse. Same thing here. If the store gives you a deal on a mis-marked game, great. But a mistake on their part doesn't entitle someone to be a punk about it and try to force them into taking a loss. And hiding behind "the law" because that somehow justifies everything - that really gets under my skin. I can't tell you how grateful I am that our laws do not entitle little punks to profit from honest mistakes on the part of retailers.

Not saying the OP was planning this or anything. Just this "it's the law and they have to do it" comment really gets under my skin. It would be annoying enough if it were true and the suggestion was to take advantage of it, but it's not even true - and it shouldn't be. I base these statements on my studies of Business Law and case studies on this exact subject by licensed lawyers. I've also been working over 12 hours today with no end in sight and am kind of crabby to begin with, so I apologize for my rants. Just please, nobody else get on here and suggest that our blessed legal system is going to side with someone who wants to get something for nothing.

A few years ago I found a copy of "Saturday Night Fever" that was labeled wrong at a local Wal-Mart. It was behind the display case so I had the clerk take it out and I was able to get it at that price. $14.44 and it had only been released a couple of weeks prior. It was the only one with the sticker -- see pic.

I probably saved maybe $3 - $4 :D

[quote name='chosen1s']
The thing that really gets me is when people feel entitled to profit from others' mistakes. Then insisting that the "law" is on their side...There used to be a kid in gradeschool who horded his favorite markers and if someone asked him if they could borrow his he'd say "No! The teacher promised me I could use them!" It's annoying that he thinks the teacher's permission to allow him to use the markers entitled him to be a little punk. But then his hiding behind the teacher because he's a little coward was even worse. Same thing here. If the store gives you a deal on a mis-marked game, great. But a mistake on their part doesn't entitle someone to be a punk about it and try to force them into taking a loss. And hiding behind "the law" because that somehow justifies everything - that really gets under my skin. I can't tell you how grateful I am that our laws do not entitle little punks to profit from honest mistakes on the part of retailers.

Not saying the OP was planning this or anything. Just this "it's the law and they have to do it" comment really gets under my skin. It would be annoying enough if it were true and the suggestion was to take advantage of it, but it's not even true - and it shouldn't be. I base these statements on my studies of Business Law and case studies on this exact subject by licensed lawyers. I've also been working over 12 hours today with no end in sight and am kind of crabby to begin with, so I apologize for my rants. Just please, nobody else get on here and suggest that our blessed legal system is going to side with someone who wants to get something for nothing.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in Michigan, it IS the law, in a way. Every state is different, though.

Technically, A store doesn't HAVE to give you an item marked at a lower price in Michigan, unless it's been rung up with a UPC scanner and you recognize this after the transaction has been completed.

The Michigan scanner law is to protect consumers from such pricing discrepancies. For example, if an item is marked 19.99 but scans at 50.00, the consumer is entitled to the difference plus10 times the diffference up to $5. So, not only would you get the item for 19.99, but you would also get a bonus, in cash, of $5 on to of the original difference. Apparently retailers are very lax in updating their prices during sales and have been overcharging consumers for years which resulted in this SCANNER law. If it's not marked on the product, you lose. If the cashier catches it before the transaction is completed, you lose too.

But, like I said, every state is different, so Texas migfht not even have such a law.

And for those who like legaleese here are some exerpts of the michigan law, sections 3 and 4:

PRICING AND ADVERTISING OF CONSUMER ITEMS (EXCERPT)
Act 449 of 1976

445.353 Stamping or affixing total price of consumer item; exemptions; lists and signs for classes of items or individual items, “item” defined.

Sec. 3.

(1) The total price of a consumer item displayed or offered for sale at retail shall be clearly and conspicuously indicated in arabic numerals, so as to be readable and understandable by visual inspection, and shall be stamped upon or affixed to the consumer item. If the consumer item is in a package or container, the total price shall be stamped upon or affixed to the outside surface of the package or container and need not be placed directly upon the consumer item.

(2) The requirements of subsection (1) shall not apply to:

(a) A consumer item sold by weight or volume which is not in a package or container.

(b) A consumer item sold in a coin operated vending machine.

(c) Prepared food intended for immediate consumption, as defined in section 4g of Act No. 167 of the Public Acts of 1933, being section 205.54g of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(d) A consumer item purchased by mail or through catalog order, or which is not otherwise vis ible for inspection by the consumer at the time of the sale, and which is ordered or requested by the consumer, if the price of the item is on the consumer's written order or request or on a bill, invoice, or other notice which describes or names the item and which is enclosed with the item.

(e) An unpackaged food item.

(f) A consumer item which has a total weight of not more than 3 ounces, a total volume of not more than 3 cubic inches, and a total price of not more than 30 cents.

(g) Live plants.

(h) Live animals.

(i) Motor vehicles.

(j) Motor vehicle parts.

(k) Packages of 20 or fewer cigarettes.

(l) Greeting cards sold individually which have a readable coded price on the back of the card.

(m) Merchandise ordered as a gift by a consumer which is sent by mail or other delivery service to a person other than the consumer by the retailer at the request of the consumer.

(3) In addition to the exemptions allowed in subsection (2), a retailer may choose to not individually price mark not more than 25 classes of items or individual items which classes or items shall be listed and posted in a conspicuous place in the retail store, and may choose to not individually price mark not more than 25 additional classes of items or individual items which are advertised or featured at a reduced price.

(4) The price and the name or description of a class of items or individual items not marked pursuant to subsection (3) shall be indicated by a clear, readable, and conspicuous sign in immediate conjunction with the area in which the unmarked item or class of items is displayed.

(5) As used in subsections (3) and (4), “item”, except as otherwise provided in this subsection, means 1 or more identical articles, sold in identical quantities or measures. An item may include more than 1 product, brand, kind, size, or type of packaging, if they are packaged together and sold as a set and the sets are identical in all respects, including quantity or measure.

445.354 Charging more or less than price indicated; evidence of violation.

Sec. 4.

(1) A person shall not knowingly charge or attempt to charge for a consumer item a retail sale price exceeding the price required to be indicated pursuant to section 3. It shall not be construed to be a violation of this act to charge for a consumer item a total price less than the price required to be indicated pursuant to section 3.

(2) It shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section if a price charged or attempted to be charged as a result of electronic identification or calculation by an automatic checkout system exceeds the price required to be indicated pursuant to section 3.

And the compensation, section 10:

445.360a Section applicable to sale at retail; conditions; conditions to bringing or joining in action; exception.

Sec. 10a.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), this section applies to a sale at retail which meets all of the following conditions:

(a) There is a price stamped on or affixed to the item.

(b) The sale is recorded by an automatic checkout system.

(c) The buyer is given a receipt which describes the item and states the price charged for the item.

(2) Before bringing or joining in an action as provided in section 10(2), within 30 days after purchasing an item, a buyer who suffers loss because the price charged for the item is more than the price stamped on or affixed to the item shall notify the seller in person or in writing that the price charged is more than the price stamped or affixed. The notice shall include evidence of the loss suffered by the buyer. If, within 2 days after the notification, the seller tenders to the buyer an amount equal to the difference between the price stamped or affixed and the price charged, plus an amount equal to 10 times that difference but which is not less than $1.00 or more than $5.00, the buyer is barred from any further recovery for that loss. If the loss is suffered by 1 buyer within 1 transaction on 2 or more identical items, the amount to be tendered by the seller shall be the difference on each item, plus an amount equal to 10 times the difference on a single item but which is not less than $1.00 and not more than $5.00. If the seller does not tender this amount, the buyer may bring or join in an action as provided in section 10(2).

(3) This section does not apply to a sale at retail in which the seller intentionally charges more for an item than the price stamped on or affixed to the item.

Some Meijer stores actually hand out copies of this "scanner law" with some dubious attatchments to section 10 claiming they don't have to compensate for "mistakenly" priced items that put the item below their cost, but these are not actually part of the law. The whole point of the law was to compensate consumers for their "mistakes" which inevitably result in favorable miscompensation to retailers. Mistakes happen all the time, but the people in Michigan realized that retailers needed some extra incentive to keep their computers more mistake free.

Just checking in w/ you guys who might want to know how it turned out. Not so good, either its just my luck, or someone who works there read this because I went, and it was labeled at 49.99. Dang it.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Just checking in w/ you guys who might want to know how it turned out. Not so good, either its just my luck, or someone who works there read this because I went, and it was labeled at 49.99. Dang it.[/QUOTE]

Could also be that somebody else picked up the one that was labeled at 19.99. Who knows now.

Grow a pair and do it. I got KOTOR 2 for $25.00 at TRU because of the same thing. typically the person will probably have to call a manager because it is a large price differential, but usually the manager will give it to you at that price then change it later.

*edit*
TOO LATE. sorry it didn't work.

bread's done
Back