Kmart OFFICIALLY PHASING OUT GAMES SECTION. 20% Off Games Accessories! Clearance DEALS INSIDE! Post your finds here!

Caffeinefree

CAGiversary!
EDIT - If you see any deals in your local Kmart post it in this thread. Spread the love. This post is no longer being curated so check the last post for YMMV local deals. 

20% OFF SALE ON NOW UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. (*Gwarr... Brains...*)

NOTICE

I am no longer affiliated with Kmart, so this isn't getting any future updates. Stay tuned to the latest post in the comment section. THANKS!

I looked into the plan for this fire-sale, and apparently they'll be rolling out clearance deals for the whole section. So 20% off, then 50%, or whatever comes to pass. Looks like different regions are getting different sales sooner than others, as well as higher volume stores getting different sales than lower ones. IF YOU HAVE INSIDE INFO, POST IN THIS THREAD SO CAGS IN YOUR AREA CAN GET A HEADS UP.

TIPS & TRICKS

• All deals are YMMV.
  • Kmart bases it's clearance on how long an item has been in stock. It takes a few weeks, but even the most expensive items go on clearance.
  • ALWAYS ASK SOMEONE TO SCAN AN ITEM FOR YOU. Most older games are on clearance, but have not been labeled as such.
  • Lookout for "penny items", items that have been on shelf for so long they've been clearanced down to 0.01. They won't sell for that, but it's a great way to get GTA IV for $2.00, for example.
  • TAKE A PICTURE AND PRICE MATCH.  For Walmart and other retailers, this is all they need to price match. Make sure the label is clearly visible and don't forget to post it here and share the love. 

Background Info
So I am an employee of Kmart and happened to see this memo pass through my local store. I can't repeat it verbatim, and I couldn't get a picture of the message due to being constantly on camera.

Basically the memo stated the "exit strategy" for the games section in retail stores. Stating that this was in essence brought on by having overstocked shelves (bwa hahaha) and not enough customers. However Kmart.com, Sears.com, and Shopyourwayrewards.com, would continue to sell games and consoles to meet peoples needs. So they're switching focus from retail to online.

The message continued to explain to sell down merch and fill the empty space with other merch. Eventually to clearance out the whole section if it didn't sell down.

So firstly, wait. Just wait and deals will come.

As a customer I have to say that Kmart has had nothing but crappy deals for the past few years. (On games) Focusing on SYWR points and mediocre sales to bring in customers rather than staying competitive with Amazon, Walmart, and pretty much any retailer that will actually give a deep discount. Therefore they have shot themselves in the foot and driven away most business. As a result of that they face what I call "the burger problem".

When Kmart doesn't get games in to sell, they can't sell them. But instead of getting more stock I guess they just say "X person doesn't want Y game". This is just like a survey of a small town saying no one in the town likes burgers, because no one eats burgers. Only to find out there is nowhere to eat burgers in the first place.

Why doesn't Kmart get games to sell? I don't know if Kmart as a whole does this, or just my store, but we don't get games on a truck. We get them in sporadically via UPS, and never before release date. We get limited quantities and then get restocks oddly. Over the holidays I got dozens of calls for titles we wouldn't get in for weeks. During Christmas we only got a handful of Xbox Ones and no PS4s, and since then only one Wii U and one 3DS XL, which may have been returns. In short they could be making money, but there is just some really bad policies in place that leave plenty of customers walking out the door. 

Then on top of that we barely make any money in markup. We buy games basically at cost, given only a few dollars. I've seen games we bought for 58.50 selling for $60. Same for all peripherals, a 20 charger may have costed 12 for us. I was really shocked about this when I first started looking into it. Whereas other sections of the store have a markup that's understandable. 

So now after all this poor management, they're getting rid of what has always been the best part of the electronics section - games. I remember there being something said about "better serving our customer's needs", the problem in the first place was that they didn't serve our needs. For the most part they were poorly stocked, AND THIS HAS KILLED THEM THE MOST.

YMMV DEALS -  Post below if you find a deal in your area! Post here if you find a deal in your area! 

:360: Xbox 360 DEALS  :360:

Select titles 20+% off

:xb1: Xbox One Deals  :xb1:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps3: PS3 DEALS  :ps3:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps4: PS4 DEALS  :ps4:

Select titles 20+% off

:vita: VITA DEALS  :vita:

Select titles 20+% off

:wiiu: Wii U / Wii DEALS  :wii:

20%off

:3ds: 3DS / DS DEALS  :ds:

3DS XL - @190 @ 20%off

[+..••] Accessories DEALS [+..••]

Afterglow Universal Headset - $30

:xb1: Xbox One Charge Kit - $20

Giotek EX-05 Universal Headset - $20

Thanks again. Remember to post your deals in the comment section.  :)

EDIT - KMART CLEARANCE 2.1 thread, added consoles, added tips, condensed backstory down into spoiler, erected a sofa, planted seeds for world domination. Just check the last post for local deals.  

Last edited by a moderator:
What city is this in?
It was in Cerritos, CA. The games were kept in the back of the room if I recalled. I asked the lady if she had other games because they had shovelware like Michael Phelps, Sing it Bundle, Guitar Hero, etc. in the front counter. She said yeah and rolled out with 5 boxes of games. Each game was like $1~$2 so I went crazy!

Wild!! Hoardo spotted!!!
Sorry I can't help it. It was like hitting a gold mine. Beside, CAGers or customers had many chances to clean them out. By the time it reached 75% discount most of the good games were all gone at the other Big Lots so I wasn't expecting all the games to be at my LOCAL big lot. I live like a few blocks from it.

Big Lots's liquidation on video games was like this for the past 4 months or so (30%->50%->60%->70%->75-80%-85%-90%-95%).

Also don't called me a hoarder. A few years ago I picked 13 New Zelda Twilight Princess 1/6 Replica Hylian Shield- Master Sword & Soundtrack for $3 each at Target (This target was closing down for remodeling) and I sold half of them to CAGers for $12 shipped. During that time, these were going for $80+ on eBay. Check my feedback.

Sorry I can't help it. It was like hitting a gold mine. Beside, CAGers or customers had many chances to clean them out. By the time it reached 75% discount most of the good games were all gone at the other Big Lots so I wasn't expecting all the games to be at my LOCAL big lot. I live like a few blocks from it.

Big Lots's liquidation on video games was like this for the past 4 months or so (30%->50%->60%->70%->75-80%-85%-90%-95%).

Also don't called me a hoarder. A few years ago I picked 13 New Zelda Twilight Princess 1/6 Replica Hylian Shield- Master Sword & Soundtrack for $3 each at Target (This target was closing down for remodeling) and I sold half of them to CAGers for $12 shipped. During that time, these were going for $80+ on eBay. Check my feedback.
Okay sorry i meant flipper

eh I'll wait till it's 90 percent like last year at Big Lots. I still can't believe I was able to grab all of those games below for 90% off. Looks like not many CAGers in my neighborhood.

2bTPCMw.jpg
Good lord, man, control yourself! And I thought I had a problem!

For those near Philly...

Feasterville, PA had 1 250GB blue PS3 for $150 left (I bought 1). The rest of the games were regular price, no 20% off (didn't have much good anyway)

Willow Grove, PA and Doylestown, PA Kmarts had decent selection of PS3/360 games but no really good prices. Best I saw were Mario 3D Land for 3DS and Mario & Luigi Dream Team for $24 (Willow Grove). Doylestown had 20% off signs for every game/15% for accessories. WG only advertised 15% off some accessories.
Thanks for the heads up! I picked up the blue PS3 5 minutes before the store closed.

It was in Cerritos, CA. The games were kept in the back of the room if I recalled. I asked the lady if she had other games because they had shovelware like Michael Phelps, Sing it Bundle, Guitar Hero, etc. in the front counter. She said yeah and rolled out with 5 boxes of games. Each game was like $1~$2 so I went crazy!
Do you still have any of that stuff left? I'm mostly after one Goldeneye bundle. Would you sell it for the shipping cost + a decent finder's fee? Or trade it?

Do you still have any of that stuff left? I'm mostly after one Goldeneye bundle. Would you sell it for the shipping cost + a decent finder's fee? Or trade it?
I traded most of them to GameStop when they had that 50% extra on all trade-ins promotional. I have an opened box in complete edition if you're interested. I'm looking for a copy of LoZ Hyrule Warriors Collector's Edition or a used copy of ALBW CE guide? Hyrule Warriors CE was penny out at GS or do you have a trade list that I can check?

I traded most of them to GameStop when they had that 50% extra on all trade-ins promotional. I have an opened box in complete edition if you're interested. I'm looking for a copy of LoZ Hyrule Warriors Collector's Edition or a used copy of ALBW CE guide? Hyrule Warriors CE was penny out at GS or do you have a trade list that I can check?
I don't have a list yet, but I will set it up soon. Is the Goldeneye bundle just opened and unused or was the controller used?

I don't have a list yet, but I will set it up soon. Is the Goldeneye bundle just opened and unused or was the controller used?
Just the game is used but in mint shape. The controller is in perfect shape and untouched. Unfortunately the box has like dents and wear to it. Just PM your list. I'm looking for collector's edition (guides or games. I also take Fire Emblem games).

Anyone get any updates if the clearance has jumped to 50%? I read somewhere that it might be Feb 21 when they make the switch.

Looking to get a good deal on consoles (Wii U | 3DS) and passed by 2 Kmarts. First had an Xbone assassins creed bundle for $380 and a Wii u Adventure bundle for $285. Second location had none.

Seems like my area is only at 5% markdowns atm. Might be a while until it goes down to 50%

Damn $289 for Xbone, hopefully we get to see deeper discounts next week. Consoles may be the best bet in this phase out

They're going to have to cut those prices a lot deeper for me to bite. A thirty dollar Bravely Default with all the discounts is okay, but it could be better.

I was at Kmart Thursday afternoon (02-19-15) and accessories were 15% and all games were 20% but all the new games that are normally $59 were all marked down to $38.98 plus the 20% off. Wii u still $240.

Damn, for anyone living the in NJ (and possibly NYC) areas, a few Kmarts have literally had their *entire* video game/accessories areas removed. I visited two stores, and called 2 others. This truly sucks. I was hoping to get in on *any* good deals, mainly for ps4 or ps3, or general tech ah¡t, but seems as though I'm out of luck? Should I visit a different one tomorrow that I haven't checked out? Perhaps they'll have some stuff...Looks like there are quite a few Cag'rs in my area heh, from the looks of the kmart I visited about a month ago :0)

Damn, for anyone living the in NJ (and possibly NYC) areas, a few Kmarts have literally had their *entire* video game/accessories areas removed. I visited two stores, and called 2 others. This truly sucks. I was hoping to get in on *any* good deals, mainly for ps4 or ps3, or general tech ah¡t, but seems as though I'm out of luck? Should I visit a different one tomorrow that I haven't checked out? Perhaps they'll have some stuff...Looks like there are quite a few Cag'rs in my area heh, from the looks of the kmart I visited about a month ago :0)
Where in NJ?

I sent to one near work, felt like I was in a real life store from fallout3. They had a few Xbox Ones, and a couple of newer games(2 dragon age), but the rest of a bunch of old DS stuff like 15 copies of Battleship on DS. Probably 60 games in Store, 40 were old shovelware, 15 were old. 20% and a 15% off poster, not sure if stacked, but game weren't good enough to check

I picked up LA Noire for the PS3 for $2 after SYWR :)  I think it was $5 minus the 20% off.

This was at the KMart in Billerica, MA.  They had a few other games, but nothing noteworthy.

Has anybody gone to the Salem, NH one yet?

Nice...where's that Kmart? I just moved here...was there anything else solid left?
The one I hit up is in Reynoldsburg, on Main and Brice. There wasn't a lot left, a few copies of Animal Crossing and Dream Team for 3DS, some COD Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Assassin's Creed. Of their limited stock, most looked to be games that are 2-3 years old and had never had the price reduced, so even with the clearance it's more pricey than Amazon/Target/Best Buy

Was at a closing Kmart over the summer and was excited to see that XBL credit and Nintendo credit were both still there in and on clearance.  Until, that is, I took a few up to the register and the guy panicked...asked me where I found them...and said how they were supposed to be taken off the shelve.  Pffft oh well.

Everything at my store was gone before Christmas basically anyway.  I think they wised up and since they knew this was going to happen they took advantage of it by putting stuff on crazy "sales" just before the holidays and people ate it up.  I knew something was up when they never restocked...

We have a hoarder that will clean out the game sections within a week of any good clearance games in the Somerset, NJ location. Not sure how far he travels but would not be surprised if it was because of him.

We have a hoarder that will clean out the game sections within a week of any good clearance games in the Somerset, NJ location. Not sure how far he travels but would not be surprised if it was because of him.
One starting hitting up the one near me too, pissed me off because I had been eyeing a few things forEVER and then boom it was all gone. My suspicion is that it was an employee as there was a few faces around I didn't recognize.

bread's done
Back