Kmart OFFICIALLY PHASING OUT GAMES SECTION. 20% Off Games Accessories! Clearance DEALS INSIDE! Post your finds here!

Caffeinefree

CAGiversary!
EDIT - If you see any deals in your local Kmart post it in this thread. Spread the love. This post is no longer being curated so check the last post for YMMV local deals. 

20% OFF SALE ON NOW UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. (*Gwarr... Brains...*)

NOTICE

I am no longer affiliated with Kmart, so this isn't getting any future updates. Stay tuned to the latest post in the comment section. THANKS!

I looked into the plan for this fire-sale, and apparently they'll be rolling out clearance deals for the whole section. So 20% off, then 50%, or whatever comes to pass. Looks like different regions are getting different sales sooner than others, as well as higher volume stores getting different sales than lower ones. IF YOU HAVE INSIDE INFO, POST IN THIS THREAD SO CAGS IN YOUR AREA CAN GET A HEADS UP.

TIPS & TRICKS

• All deals are YMMV.
  • Kmart bases it's clearance on how long an item has been in stock. It takes a few weeks, but even the most expensive items go on clearance.
  • ALWAYS ASK SOMEONE TO SCAN AN ITEM FOR YOU. Most older games are on clearance, but have not been labeled as such.
  • Lookout for "penny items", items that have been on shelf for so long they've been clearanced down to 0.01. They won't sell for that, but it's a great way to get GTA IV for $2.00, for example.
  • TAKE A PICTURE AND PRICE MATCH.  For Walmart and other retailers, this is all they need to price match. Make sure the label is clearly visible and don't forget to post it here and share the love. 

Background Info
So I am an employee of Kmart and happened to see this memo pass through my local store. I can't repeat it verbatim, and I couldn't get a picture of the message due to being constantly on camera.

Basically the memo stated the "exit strategy" for the games section in retail stores. Stating that this was in essence brought on by having overstocked shelves (bwa hahaha) and not enough customers. However Kmart.com, Sears.com, and Shopyourwayrewards.com, would continue to sell games and consoles to meet peoples needs. So they're switching focus from retail to online.

The message continued to explain to sell down merch and fill the empty space with other merch. Eventually to clearance out the whole section if it didn't sell down.

So firstly, wait. Just wait and deals will come.

As a customer I have to say that Kmart has had nothing but crappy deals for the past few years. (On games) Focusing on SYWR points and mediocre sales to bring in customers rather than staying competitive with Amazon, Walmart, and pretty much any retailer that will actually give a deep discount. Therefore they have shot themselves in the foot and driven away most business. As a result of that they face what I call "the burger problem".

When Kmart doesn't get games in to sell, they can't sell them. But instead of getting more stock I guess they just say "X person doesn't want Y game". This is just like a survey of a small town saying no one in the town likes burgers, because no one eats burgers. Only to find out there is nowhere to eat burgers in the first place.

Why doesn't Kmart get games to sell? I don't know if Kmart as a whole does this, or just my store, but we don't get games on a truck. We get them in sporadically via UPS, and never before release date. We get limited quantities and then get restocks oddly. Over the holidays I got dozens of calls for titles we wouldn't get in for weeks. During Christmas we only got a handful of Xbox Ones and no PS4s, and since then only one Wii U and one 3DS XL, which may have been returns. In short they could be making money, but there is just some really bad policies in place that leave plenty of customers walking out the door. 

Then on top of that we barely make any money in markup. We buy games basically at cost, given only a few dollars. I've seen games we bought for 58.50 selling for $60. Same for all peripherals, a 20 charger may have costed 12 for us. I was really shocked about this when I first started looking into it. Whereas other sections of the store have a markup that's understandable. 

So now after all this poor management, they're getting rid of what has always been the best part of the electronics section - games. I remember there being something said about "better serving our customer's needs", the problem in the first place was that they didn't serve our needs. For the most part they were poorly stocked, AND THIS HAS KILLED THEM THE MOST.

YMMV DEALS -  Post below if you find a deal in your area! Post here if you find a deal in your area! 

:360: Xbox 360 DEALS  :360:

Select titles 20+% off

:xb1: Xbox One Deals  :xb1:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps3: PS3 DEALS  :ps3:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps4: PS4 DEALS  :ps4:

Select titles 20+% off

:vita: VITA DEALS  :vita:

Select titles 20+% off

:wiiu: Wii U / Wii DEALS  :wii:

20%off

:3ds: 3DS / DS DEALS  :ds:

3DS XL - @190 @ 20%off

[+..••] Accessories DEALS [+..••]

Afterglow Universal Headset - $30

:xb1: Xbox One Charge Kit - $20

Giotek EX-05 Universal Headset - $20

Thanks again. Remember to post your deals in the comment section.  :)

EDIT - KMART CLEARANCE 2.1 thread, added consoles, added tips, condensed backstory down into spoiler, erected a sofa, planted seeds for world domination. Just check the last post for local deals.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, never trust signs. (at any store really)

Always scan something yourself.
Well I can't really scan something myself when they are in the locked glass case.

Not going to wait 45 minutes for someone to come back there to unlock the case for me just to see they only dropped another 5-10%.

Ask for the display stuff if your kmart still have them. I was given 2 of the white 3ds display setups. The ones that are wall track mount. They took the locks though from the glass doors.

It's been a very slow death for Kmart, and I agree that it's sad considering the childhood memories and many X-mas blue-light special marathons with my parents.  A university could give a course on Kmart in how not to manage a retail corporation.  I worked at Montgomery Ward back in the day up until about 6 months before they closed, and it's the same feeling with Kmart now.  Back then I knew Wards was in trouble when people came in complaining that rebate checks bounced (lol).  It was sad too hearing older customers talk about how when they were kids there would be lines of people to get into Wards to shop on the weekends.  In both Wards case, and Kmart going back at least until the late 80's, security was the first to go.  Most cameras were just for looks and not even wired to anything, or long-since disconnected since they couldn't afford real security.  It spirals when the company doesn't even have money to fill inventory, suppliers won't ship for fear of not being paid, which leads to fairly bare shelves, people quit shopping there since they can't find what they need, and next thing caput.  So getting out of the video game business is just another reason to not shop there.  Sears is even more of a ghost town, so it's sad seeing both go the same way.  Maybe if they borrowed enough to remodel the best performing stores, brought back real blue-light specials, etc. they'd have a chance, but it's probably too late.  10-15 years ago was the last chance to do that and they missed it.    

It's been a very slow death for Kmart, and I agree that it's sad considering the childhood memories and many X-mas blue-light special marathons with my parents. A university could give a course on Kmart in how not to manage a retail corporation. I worked at Montgomery Ward back in the day up until about 6 months before they closed, and it's the same feeling with Kmart now. Back then I knew Wards was in trouble when people came in complaining that rebate checks bounced (lol). It was sad too hearing older customers talk about how when they were kids there would be lines of people to get into Wards to shop on the weekends. In both Wards case, and Kmart going back at least until the late 80's, security was the first to go. Most cameras were just for looks and not even wired to anything, or long-since disconnected since they couldn't afford real security. It spirals when the company doesn't even have money to fill inventory, suppliers won't ship for fear of not being paid, which leads to fairly bare shelves, people quit shopping there since they can't find what they need, and next thing caput. So getting out of the video game business is just another reason to not shop there. Sears is even more of a ghost town, so it's sad seeing both go the same way. Maybe if they borrowed enough to remodel the best performing stores, brought back real blue-light specials, etc. they'd have a chance, but it's probably too late. 10-15 years ago was the last chance to do that and they missed it.
Kmart was the first place I ever shoplifted from. I stole an Ewok when I was about six years old... I later stole a Juggernaut in '91. Hid it in my underwear for 3 hours. It was incredibly uncomfortable.

I later stole a Juggernaut in '91. Hid it in my underwear for 3 hours. It was incredibly uncomfortable.
You mean...like how Christopher Walken hid the gold watch in Pulp Fiction?

Rang up a few things at the Clifton Heights, PA store:

:ps3:
Beyond: Two Souls $20.90
The Last of Us $20.90

:3ds:
Nano Assault $4.xx

:pc:
Spec Ops: The Line $11.00 (around ten copies on the shelf, for no sane reason)

Current clearance prices end on 5/2 according to the shelf label, dunno what happens next. No Xbone/PS4 games found. One PS3 Destiny bundle in the counter which I didn't scan--labeled clearance price was $270-ish.

I was able to get a copy of Wii Fit U for $16. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Also saw Sunset Overdrive for $26. 

So I just came back from Kmart and I managed to score an Xbox One console that happened to be hidden behind some board games in the nearby aisles. The sticker price was MSRP but of course, I went to get it scanned and it came up at 199.99! The cashier guy was shocked too lol. I took that puppy home!

Safe to say that's probably one of the best runs I've ever had! Oh, and I checked to make sure everything was in the box at home and working. Couldn't be happier! :D/  

So I just came back from Kmart and I managed to score an Xbox One console that happened to be hidden behind some board games in the nearby aisles. The sticker price was MSRP but of course, I went to get it scanned and it came up at 199.99! The cashier guy was shocked too lol. I took that puppy home!

Safe to say that's probably one of the best runs I've ever had! Oh, and I checked to make sure everything was in the box at home and working. Couldn't be happier! :D/
Pics or it didn't happen.

I was able to get a copy of Wii Fit U for $16. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Also saw Sunset Overdrive for $26.
Same. Also grabbed a Wii Fit U for the same price. I've had my eyes on that for a while and it's a solid price for the game and Fit Meter, considering that if I bought it used or digital, I'd still have to drop $10 on the accessory. The only other thing of worth was a pink Wiimote plus that rang up for $22. Maybe if accessories drop even more, I may swoop that up, otherwise, I'll survive. Wish I coulda grabbed that Wii Fit U before Club Nintendo ended, though.

Last time I went there, though, they still had a game case and there was a copy of WWHD hidden behind the giant ESRB sticker. I guess someone finally got to it.

Always hate to see another business go but I'm sure this confirms the Kmart around here will be done for good soon. It's been on life support forever now...it actually was about to go out a few years ago but when the new Wal-Mart opened many people detested it and started throwing their money at Kmart despite them being more expensive but now that's been open a few years people have migrated back to it and with that this one has been back on its trek to closure. Especially hate it as I live in a poor ass area with a worse economy than usual and terrible unemployment rate (Kmart might not be great or a place that pays bank but a job is a job) so when another business goes usually the building just stays vacant and no one ever fills it.

Always hate to see another business go but I'm sure this confirms the Kmart around here will be done for good soon. It's been on life support forever now...it actually was about to go out a few years ago but when the new Wal-Mart opened many people detested it and started throwing their money at Kmart despite them being more expensive but now that's been open a few years people have migrated back to it and with that this one has been back on its trek to closure. Especially hate it as I live in a poor ass area with a worse economy than usual and terrible unemployment rate (Kmart might not be great or a place that pays bank but a job is a job) so when another business goes usually the building just stays vacant and no one ever fills it.
The last Kmart to close in my area left an empty building, but they just knocked it down and cleared the lot. Now there's just a giant empty concrete lot where it used to be.

Congrats on that deal, I was able to score a 250g Blue PS3 today for $135, roughly half off the price it has been scanning up for the past couple of months(been watching it since the inception of this thread). Thanks OP and everyone who contributed to this thread, I'll just add that even though it might be highly YMMV, and every kmart may have different mark down schedules, or whatever, seems like now might be the time the consoles are all gonna drop dramatically in price, so if you've had your eye on one, or even if you think your local kmart might have some left, it probably couldnt hurt to check.

There's a BUNCH of blue 3DS XLs in my local one. Does anyone know how much those should be ringing up for nowabouts?

Hm. I could use a Playstation 3. I wanted to pay less than $135, but brand new makes it tempting.

I'll have to check out the K-Mart in Tucson next week and see if they've got anything.

There's a BUNCH of blue 3DS XLs in my local one. Does anyone know how much those should be ringing up for nowabouts?
Wish I could find one myself, all I can tell you is when sears(kmarts partner?) started dumping games at the end of last year(many posts here with deals) I got a 2ds for $37.50, which is more than 50% off the price, but I wouldnt expect to find a 3ds to go any lower than half off before someone snatches it up.

Well, Ive been getting the ps3 price checked about once a week or so, it only takes a minute, I stop by on the way home from work and last week it was scanning at around $258, and now its $135, here is the receipt, so nobody thinks its made up:

kmartnew_2.jpg

Stopped at mine today, saw a small table with some older DS stuff (some 3DS, but mostly DS stuff), and some LG and NG titles. NG were all marked $30 and then 45% off. All PS4 games really were sports (NBA 2K14, UFC) and the One had some sports titles and other stuff like Titanfall and Thief. I didn't check out the Wii or Wii U stuff. Barely glanced through the PS3 and 360 stuff some of it was marked $20 and I think a few $12s.

They had a rack further away with accessories for 30% off. There was a wired Rockcandy XBone controller marked $38, so it would've been $26-ish. Then there was a PS4 headset marked either $51 or $57. They also still had Guitar Hero decals for $1.50.

Nothing of all interesting to me, really.

Luckily, I found an Energizer recharger clearanced from $26.99 to $3 that had 2 AA and 2 AAAs packed with it at 2500 mAh and 900 mAh (for the AAA). Plus it looks like it has good charge times of 4.5-6.5 hours for AA and 2.5 hours for AAA.

I also saw they marked a bunch of USB drives on clearance for $12. They were all flat priced, regardless of size/brand. So they had 8gb up to 32gb all for $12 each. Oddly, they had micro SD cards that were $12 for 8gb and $14 for 16gb. $12 is a pretty good price for 32gb and the recharger was a steal, so I definitely recommend checking out the rest of the clearance section.

I was able to pick up a few accessories like 2 xbox 360 battery packs and 2 BT PS3 headsets for a decent price.  That EX-01 and EX-02 ones.  I loved the EX-01 and used it quite a bit, until one of my beagles found it and chewed the shit out of it :(.   The ex 02 sounds better though.  Other than that there was nothing else to pick up as it looks like it had been picked over pretty well.   The electronics display case and register were completely ripped out.  I remembered when I first got my DS I was finding some very good deals on DS games from there. 

Other than electronics, the store looks like in good shape.   This was Chantilly, VA.

Most likely an employee was trying to save it for himself by having one of his buddies buy it for him and pay him later. At my old store, this one dipshit employee kept on hiding a 360 behind the counter and was trying to get it for under 100 bucks (when it was like 300 back then). Management didn't give a fuck and so they let him buy it when it got dirt cheap.

So the shelves where they used to have $20 games at my Kmart now has a rack full of compilation & holiday CDs, a lot being the kind that come in tins.

Kmart knows what the people want

Huh...stopped by my local store today where the videogame cases and all the videogames disappeared a month ago, and the games have now magically reappeared on a display of "extra 45% off" clearance games.  With about 30 copies each of Michael Jackson The Experience and Sing It for ps3...and a handful of other games still marked near original MSRP (like $57 AC Rogue).

Same. Local Kmart has lots of Michael Jackson games and that's it. And where all the video games used to be they now have DVDs. Not Blurays mind you...DVDs. The genius of their business model unfortunately escapes me.

Pretty sure the Kmart employees are hiding stuff as mentioned by other members here. Just placed an order for a dualshock 3, which came out to ~$13, after a shop your way rewards coupon, and had it cancelled saying the item isn't in stock even though it allowed me to add it to the cart and checkout. Thinking the employee was either too lazy to look for the item or just canceled it and took it for themselves (though unlikely, I could see this as a possibility). Yes paranoid:p

bread's done
Back