Knight Rider

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yeah well like I said before, wait til the next episode where nobody watches and then see if it still gets picked up. If it does, you all are god damn fucking hypocrites.[/quote]what on earth are you talking about?

[quote name='lordwow']Ever watch reality TV?

This is new business model for television. Shows have to recoup their costs before they're produced. Blatant product placement is one of only a handful of ways you can.[/quote]Actually no, i don't.

[quote name='JolietJake']Actually no, i don't.[/QUOTE]

In the new TV system, there are basically only 3 ways to get a show produced if you're not a top tier producer (like Dick Wolf or Jerry Bruckheimer):

1) Remove costs like actors, writers, etc (reality TV)
2) Use product placements in-show to defer the cost of the program.
3) Sell advertisements before the show is even made. So, like, you would say "hey Ford, we're going to make this show, so cool, pay us up front for the ads, and you'll be the primary sponsor." That can get messy of course if the show gets canceled, but it's part of a risk they take.

The classic analysis is Survivor vs ER in 2000 or so. ER was the most expensive to produce show on TV, and its ad time was the most expensive (it wasn't still #1 in ratings, but it had the huge 18-49 share). It cost NBC about $11m/ep to make, and brought in about $10m/ep in ad revenue. (So it lost money, which the networks recover with syndication and DVD sales)

Survivor on the other hand cost CBS $0/ep, and brought in about $8m/ep. That's right, Survivor cost CBS nothing to make. Mark Burnett productions could not get the show made without having it fully funded by advertisers. So his initial deal was, "we'll give you the show for free, and split the ad revenue with you." So Mark Burnett made Survivor I which was a huge success, and that increased the cost of the ads and product placements, and he renegotiated a silent contract with CBS on what share of ad revenue each would get.

So in review:
- ER - cost (NBC) $11m/made $10m = -1m/episode for NBC
- Survivor - cost (CBS) $0m/made $8m = 8m/episode split between CBS & Burnett Productions.

TV has never been made the same again.

[quote name='lordwow']In the new TV system, there are basically only 3 ways to get a show produced if you're not a top tier producer (like Dick Wolf or Jerry Bruckheimer):

3) Sell advertisements before the show is even made. So, like, you would say "hey Ford, we're going to make this show, so cool, pay us up front for the ads, and you'll be the primary sponsor." That can get messy of course if the show gets canceled, but it's part of a risk they take.

The classic analysis is Survivor vs ER in 2000 or so. ER was the most expensive to produce show on TV, and its ad time was the most expensive (it wasn't still #1 in ratings, but it had the huge 18-49 share). It cost NBC about $11m/ep to make, and brought in about $10m/ep in ad revenue. (So it lost money, which the networks recover with syndication and DVD sales)

Survivor on the other hand cost CBS $0/ep, and brought in about $8m/ep. That's right, Survivor cost CBS nothing to make. Mark Burnett productions could not get the show made without having it fully funded by advertisers. So his initial deal was, "we'll give you the show for free, and split the ad revenue with you." So Mark Burnett made Survivor I which was a huge success, and that increased the cost of the ads and product placements, and he renegotiated a silent contract with CBS on what share of ad revenue each would get.

So in review:
- Survivor - cost (CBS) $0m/made $8m = 8m/episode split between CBS & Burnett Productions.

TV has never been made the same again.[/quote]Wow, i never knew that actually. Explains why reality TV is so popular with the networks.

[quote name='lordwow']In the new TV system, there are basically only 3 ways to get a show produced if you're not a top tier producer (like Dick Wolf or Jerry Bruckheimer):

So in review:

TV has never been made the same again.[/quote]
Holy shit. No wonder the networks have boatloads of reality tv shows :(
I honestly thought that Reality shows were dirt cheap compared to full production shows.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^Not watching tv anymore then, they don't want to try then I ain't.

Also, fucking lame this will get picked up.[/quote]

It needs a couple of changes..but they have time to get it right.

Forgot I had this...

hass7ny.gif

well, it's now official.... the new knight rider gets a first season this fall on Wednesday. I hope it's retooled before then.

[quote name='ITDEFX']well, it's now official.... the new knight rider gets a first season this fall on Wednesday. I hope it's retooled before then.[/quote]

I agree - they need to seriously rethink how it is going to work. The "pilot" was below average at best and the acting and writing was cheesy as hell. You can't remake a show like this and have it be the same campy crap that was on 25 years ago - it will flop. Make it a little dark and a little edgy with some humor thrown in there to balance it out. Anyway, it can't be worse than Bionic Woman.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree - they need to seriously rethink how it is going to work. The "pilot" was below average at best and the acting and writing was cheesy as hell. You can't remake a show like this and have it be the same campy crap that was on 25 years ago - it will flop. Make it a little dark and a little edgy with some humor thrown in there to balance it out. Anyway, it can't be worse than Bionic Woman.[/quote]

Agreed.

I watched the pilot/movie when it aired. It was just really lame to me. And not even in that good B rating kind of funny lame. Just very meh.

The first episode is up for free on iTunes in both HD and SD.

It's also on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/34855/knight-rider-sneak-peek-a-knight-in-shining-armor) and Amazon Unboxed ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ct=true&s=digital-video&qid=1221779185&sr=8-2 )

Watched it yesterday. It's a lot better than I was expecting. The new crew took some of the modern vibe of the February movie and married it well with the corny, action-filled aesthetic of the original series. I'm interested to see where they take it as they threw a lot of over-arching plot points out in this first episode.

[quote name='lordwow']Is the new pilot a retcon of the movie, or does it take place after?[/quote]It's a little of both. They're retaining elements of it, but there's something that doesn't jive, it's been tossed out, I believe.

Evidently this is also on Xbox Live.

I got to where the car said "Can you do this?" and it morphed... :picked up remote, click:

There's a part of my life I won't get back...

[quote name='BillyBob29']Horrible. I don't see how a network exec could watch this and think....."now this is some quality entertainment."[/quote]

Execs are like... eh, it's Knight Rider they'll watch it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Execs are like... eh, it's Knight Rider they'll watch it.[/quote]

The fact that half of it's purpose will be as a glorified car commercial probably didn't hurt.

I was on board to give the series a shot but after seeing a preview of what the car looks like "morphed", I said f' that.

Ooops, I missed the first episode. Thank you marketplace for the free HD episode!

Anyways..

A few WTF moments.

-KITT Turboboost with NO room!, and doesn't get anyone killed on top of that.
-The over use of the Cobra symbol. Even the Knight Industries Logo is the Cobra... when it should be a Knight.
-Transforms into a black truck?!?!?!!? I can "tolerate" the attack mode transformation, but MASS SHIFTING into a bigger truck? WTF man!
-Too many things happening in that underground base.
-Zoey is a hotte, but don't think she's needed...unless she and the FBI agent are gonna get it on sometime soon.
-Too many flashy graphics.
-KITT's first aid machine?

I see show possibly facing either a cancellation or budget cut backs because it looks WAY too expensive. The mass shifting effect is overkill, the extra supporting characters are overkill and washed out. Remember when KITT did super pursuit mode in the original series? A similar practical effect can be done without all this CG crap.
So Mike Tracer is dead.... who is he now? Michael Knight the second?
:bomb:

I'll watch it but if it doesn't make it past this season, oh well.

I thought the movie was decent, not horrible but not great. But this first episode was just horrible. I couldn't even finish watching it. I thought it would be a bit campy but just the acting and dialogue were plain bad. Hopefully it'll improve but I'm not betting on it.

[quote name='Thongsy']I thought the movie was decent, not horrible but not great. But this first episode was just horrible. I couldn't even finish watching it. I thought it would be a bit campy but just the acting and dialogue were plain bad. Hopefully it'll improve but I'm not betting on it.[/quote]

Zoey's rear end shot=money!!

"I have advanced degrees in........."

Zoey: I can speak 9 languages , lets make a baby!"

"really?"

#-o

+Zoey in that outfit :drool:
-KITT swims :bomb:
-KITT with surfer boards
-/+ Bonny and Devin (homage to the original series I know)

Zoey and Micheal in bed after drinking and Zoey "That was epic" line :whee:

I am holding out for the KARR Episode as they said KARR was going to make an appearance. Please oh please have Peter Cullen do the voice of KARR :pray:

I liked the original. This isn't any better or worse. I'll keep watching as long as I can remember that it's on Wednesday night.

bread's done
Back