Knights in the Nightmare (Sting) - BREAKOUT!

Dr Mario Kart

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Developer: Sting
Publisher: Atlus
US Release: June 2
MSRP: $34.99 (includes deluxe box, soundtrack + artbook)
Amazon Link

knightsinthenightmare_glamshot_415.jpg

Official Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gih4d5Ad05M

Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8gR8eQB7A

Intro Movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16bkl07DOE

Dept Heaven Series:

Episode 1: Riviera
Episode 2: Yggdra Union
Episode 3: ?????
Episode 4: Knights in the Nightmare

Sting screens are always so busy. You'd think the 2nd screen would free up some of that. I have no idea whats going on :bouncy:. "Action-Strategy" is the genre.

ATLUS ANNOUNCES KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE™ FOR NINTENDO DS™, PREPARES TO EMBRACE THRILLED FANS
Those of you playing "Announcement BINGO" at home, please cover up the square for Knights in the Nightmare, because it's coming to North America. What kind of game is it, exactly? Glad you asked!

Simply put, Knights in the Nightmare is a gaming experience unlike anything else. And we're not just saying that. You are a magical wisp with the power to guide spirits of dead knights, helping to free their trapped souls by cleansing a tainted castle. Your movements on the touch screen precisely control the wisp on the top screen, allowing for immediate, accurate gameplay. Special attacks, dodging projectiles, and collecting items couldn't be any faster or easier. There is a learning curve, a steep one, but the incredibly comprehensive and at times interactive tutorial has you covered. Manage and equip items, level the knights you command, and pay heed to what you're up against in each battle, as a little forethought can often make all the difference.

Then there are the game's visual and aural components. This is one of the most stylish, beautifully-conceived games for Nintendo DS. The score matches the game's themes perfectly; somber at times, intense and charged with energy at others. Knights in the Nightmare also pays close attention to the little things, conveniences intended to make life easier for the gamer. And because finishing the game once unlocks the ability to play through again from a different perspective -- through the eyes of the antagonist -- you'll certainly want to play through again.

Knights in the Nightmare is scheduled for release on June 2nd with an MSRP of $34.99. We'll share much more about this one in the near future... stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel asleep during the trailer, that voice was so dead. I look forward to it. I loved Riviera and I'm playing Yggdra Union now (though not really enjoying it as much).

Looks... good? Actually I have no idea WTF is going on in that gameplay video.

I really liked Riviera so I'll still be keeping a eye on this. To bad I've never been able to find Yggdra Union anywhere.

I love games that have so much stuff going on you just can't understand.
Haven't played yggdra union yet nor Riviera, they look good though, going to try riviera soon =P
Weird how Nintendo systems get the first take then it gets ported to PSP.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Both Riviera and Yggdra were GBA games though. This looks heavily touch based. A PSP port of this would be extremely unlikely.[/quote]
Yeah, I highly believe three will be on the PSP for this reason.

No clue what's happening, but that means it's gotta be crazy fun, right? I was a fan of their GBA work, hopefully this continues in that vein.

If I understand correctly, there is a demo available on the Japanese Wii, which I may be sampling soon.

zomg boxart

I have this game and I'm just getting into it.

The system is very cool. You use a "cursor" of sorts, called a wisp. You control it from the touch screen, but it is displayed on the top screen, along with the rest of the battle field and units. You have to move this wisp around to make your units do stuff. Also, when the enemy attacks, the battle field animates their attacks and you need to move your wisp around to dodge them, not dodging means less resources to use for your units (magic, special moves etc).

It kinda feels like a funky cross between a traditional tactical RPG and a RTS like Starcraft.

Oh, and so far, in this JPN version, almost every instance of the letter "S" has been replaced with the letter "L"

Oh, the Japanese.

[quote name='Shion']
Oh, and so far, in this JPN version, almost every instance of the letter "S" has been replaced with the letter "L"

Oh, the Japanese.[/quote]

I don't get why Japanese use English letters. Is English mandatory subject at Japanese schools or something? I always thought it was kinda of odd that import shmups I play use English menus and stuff.

Looks like it could be interesting as long at it has some sort of innovations. With everything else Atlas is pushing out I don't know if I'll be able to bite on this one.

If anyone wants to checkout the email atlas sent out about this i'm selfishly linking to it here.

Game spoiled.

Soundtrack CD included in the box, and an art book preorder bonus at GS and Amazon, per Atlus email.

I'll probably preorder it for now since it's in my Gold Box. Not too excited about Atlus prices creeping up, though.

[quote name='botticus']Game spoiled.

Soundtrack CD included in the box, and an art book preorder bonus at GS and Amazon, per Atlus email.

I'll probably preorder it for now since it's in my Gold Box. Not too excited about Atlus prices creeping up, though.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm less enthused about the price increase, but when Atlus is charging $35 for a game with a CD and artbook while another company is charging $40 for games with removed content it's hard to get too upset.

I really have no desire for the art book or soundtrack, I have enough stuff gathering dust on my desk :) The game looks very interesting though, the art style is pretty nice. I'll probably wait until it hits $20 or $25.

The only DS games I will pay over 30 for is the Pokemon games, and only because my kids have to have it on launch day... :roll:

I want to wait for impressions before I get this game. I didn't like Riviera much and while I know this game is a lot different, the concept still doesn't grab me.

I love art books but not as much as Soundtracks.

I think I'll pass on the art book and go for the soundtrack when the price dips.

I wish I had enough money to pre-order and grab all the goodies, but not everyone is rich.

also, I checked the nintendo channel (on the wii) today and the knights of nightmare tutorial is downloadable
the learning curve looks steep, but awesome. I would have liked one playable level in addition to the tutorial, though.
man, this game is unique, maybe too unique for its own good.

[quote name='vherub']also, I checked the nintendo channel (on the wii) today and the knights of nightmare tutorial is downloadable
the learning curve looks steep, but awesome. I would have liked one playable level in addition to the tutorial, though.
man, this game is unique, maybe too unique for its own good.[/QUOTE]

yea i checked this out on a friends system.. Thinking about cancelling my preorder....

I'm going to have to replay the tutorial demo. I like it, or I want to like it..but there's something weird about it.

Game Informer said this game was 'Mount Everest' for gamers who like complicated/difficult to learn combat systems. I think I'm going to pass. I'm a simple man.

I tried the demo/tutorial and thought it looked pretty cool and now it's on my want list, where it wasn't before. I didn't think it was all that confusing, at least not after you went through the tutorial. My only concern is that it is still, in spite of the action-y elements, a strategy RPG. I mean, it's got action, but it's still a grid-based strategy-ish RPG game, yes? I didn't like Disgaea 2 (I think 2? PS2 game, anyway), which was the first and only SRGP I've tried, and I'm not sure what this is going to be like in practice, but I'm willing to give it a shot in part because it is different. If it were just an SRGP I'd not be interested in it.

2 sort of lame things

and if you take on this 20-hour-long DS game sucks the game is only around 20 hours long... (but i wonder if that is just 1 ending)

suck 2 artbook that Atlus USA is putting in as a bonus item with first-print shipments of the game

so the artbook isnt limited like some places were saying

[quote name='cletus']I preordered this last week from Amazon. Should be arriving next week hopefully.[/QUOTE]

called up amazon to see why the shipping date now says JUNE 4 ... ordeded mine back on may 2

was told mine will ship tomorrow and i will have it FRIDAY.....

Crimson Gem Saga is taking up all of my time right now.... Im shocked how much i love this game how basic of a game it is (though the dungeon maps are major pain in the asses since there are no freaking maps and no wraps to back track)

Lets all give a big hand to amazon for #$#$#$#$# everyone over..

called up today to see why my order now says SHIPPING JUNE 5 instead of the 3rd

amazon is giving some bull crap about a problem with their order and they had to push it back 2 days.. but here is the biggie they said due to the fact they had a problem no preorder items will be included in the packing (at least that is what i was told)

TOld them it said i would get the artbook and the music cd and they go .... UMMMMMM we dont think we are getting those and if they are not included in your box call us up and we will give you something like 5 off your order...

what sucks is i was told since i used credit IF I CANCEL i will lose this credit

called up gamestop seems they have no clue when they are getting theirs... Was to ship yesterday yet it says 0 shipping

also they said they have none of the preorder items they never got them, man im going to be pissed if i dont get the goodies

[quote name='Antic']I don't know, but mine shipped today from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

you got to be shitting me.... sorry but i dont belive it amazon says its not even in stock so how can they ship it today.

do you have any proof.........if you do then im going to raise some major hell for the SOB people lying to me about they wont have ANY In stock until friday

[quote name='slidecage']you got to be shitting me.... sorry but i dont belive it amazon says its not even in stock so how can they ship it today.

do you have any proof.........if you do then im going to raise some major hell for the SOB people lying to me about they wont have ANY In stock until friday[/QUOTE]

I mean, I don't really wanna give my delivery confirmation number out or anything to prove it. It says it's going to arrive on the 5th though. One thing to note is that I pre-ordered it when I had Amazon Prime's 2 Day shipping.

I have amazon prime too, but mine didn't ship. So I emailed them about it... they told me they were backordered, so maybe they ran out of them? Which would be pretty lame, since PRE-ORDERING should tell them how many they need...

But they upgraded my shipping from two day to one day... and told me to contact them again if the status had not changed by tomorrow, I think. I'll give it til Friday and contact them again.

Well, crap, had I known this was going to be so good AND have a preorder bonus art book I would have preordered the damn thing :bomb:. Amazon still shows the art book in their pictures for it - but probably I'd get hosed now if I ordered it. Dammit... And I even had a preorder at Gamestop that I wanted to move over.

Well... to support the previous poster. Mine also shipped.

no prime etc.

When I click on track your package I get this

June 3, 2009 11:32:33 AM Fernley NV US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

knightsnightmare.jpg

bread's done
Back