Korean Court bans Advent Children-Themed Music Video

martin8me

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
From Final Fantasy Extreme Forums:

Today, a Korean court banned the music video "Sonata of Temptataion" from television broadcast. The video, a recent release by Korean pop singer Ivy, is a live action remake of the fight scene between Tifa and Loz in Square Enix's Advent Children.

Square Enix brought charges of copyright infringement against Ivy and her production company last month. The court ruled in their favor, saying "Other than the parts where the singer is dancing with dancers, the video has a noticeable similarity to the film Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children", even though the video does contain a notice near the beginning stating that the action scenes are based on scenes from the movie.

Video Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcPU17AvJH0

The video is identical to the scene where Tifa and Loz fight.

WTF were the Producers/Directors thinking?

[quote name='yukine']
...I'd still fuck her.
[/QUOTE]
That is not in question. But seriously, like they didn't think anyone would notice?

Also, the beat is good, but by god is her voice squeaky.

The song is horrible. And i watched this like a month ago, and even tho it was blatant, i wasn't even thinking about copyright issues. i was thinking wtf, this is horrible

Anything that limits the amount of Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy inspired stuff in the world is a-okay by me.

The video itself is kind of cool in that they re-created it so accurately with real actors, but it begs the question... what on earth is the point? If they have those kind of special effects they should just make something unique, it might have caught attention in a positive way instead of being banned.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']That is not in question. But seriously, like they didn't think anyone would notice?

Also, the beat is good, but by god is her voice squeaky.[/quote]

Exactly. The music, for the most part is good. She is attractive. But her voice is absolutely terrible!

[quote name='martin8me']WTF were the Producers/Directors thinking?[/quote]

They were thinking: "Let's replicate the scene from Advent Children using real actors."

It's even there on the video: "This scene is from Advent Children."

[quote name='Rasen']They were thinking: "Let's replicate the scene from Advent Children using real actors."

It's even there on the video: "This scene is from Advent Children."[/QUOTE]
Yeah but the thing is is even if you have a disclaimer like that you need to fucking ask permission first. Which they obviously didn't. Perhaps S-E would have granted them permission for publicity purposes or for a small fee. But they didn't, so they're fucked.

I dunno how 'fair use' laws work in Korea, but here they could get away with it if there was some humor or parody involved. A straight up copy you cant do, but satire you can. And hell, you can even do a straightup copy of something if you dont profit from it. Starwars nerds can remake the entire seires if they want, they just cant ever show it in theatres while charging money to see it.

shit like this makes me almost be ashamed of being a Korean myself...
as far as copyright issues go...they did create the movie Advent Children at the beginning of the music video but it still violated the copyright because they didnt get permission...
also...the music sucks...
Korean pop culture does have awesome music videos but this for one is not one of those...yes using final fantasy theme was cool...but...be a bit more original please...

[quote name='Puffa469']I dunno how 'fair use' laws work in Korea, but here they could get away with it if there was some humor or parody involved. A straight up copy you cant do, but satire you can. And hell, you can even do a straightup copy of something if you dont profit from it. Starwars nerds can remake the entire seires if they want, they just cant ever show it in theatres while charging money to see it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but there was none of that. It was a straight-up rip-off for profit (CD sales). You don't see Weird Al ripping off other artists straight-up, like you said; he's parodying them.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah but there was none of that. It was a straight-up rip-off for profit (CD sales). You don't see Weird Al ripping off other artists straight-up, like you said; he's parodying them.[/quote]

Agreed 100%.

Here in the US you can get sue. Kanye West got sue by Evil Knievel because one of his music video copy what Evil did.

bread's done
Back