Kotaku craps all over itself with terrible GOTY

[quote name='Strell']There's nothing wrong with liking something that is in an established genre and does very little astoundingly new, but is executed very well.

Too many people like to sit back and claim that things that run trodden paths are somehow inferior to things that try to blaze new paths. Originality is good, I'm not knocking that. But to pretend that we can't like something simply based on the fact that it's "been done before" is pretty foolhardy.

I can sit there and listen to all these aspirations of innovation for only so long until I start asking for the final product to judge how well it's executed. You can create an entirely new type of game, but if it plays and handles poorly, then I'm going to have a hard time accepting it over something that - while not original - does its thang very well.

At some point, you have to realize that it is very, very difficult to cut an entirely new swath. I mean you just dismissed pretty much every GOTY pick. What the hell is left after that?[/QUOTE]
Jenga: World Tour

This will be fun... and to think I got in on the TRU $25 Galaxy deal opened it up, watched the intro and have not played it yet at all......

I will get to it very soon though.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Drake= Crap lol
Orange Box= Crap lol
Bioshock= Crap lol
Zack & Wiki= I refuse to acknowledge a good game.
Halo 3= Not crap, but crap-ish.
Rock Band= Crap lol
God of War 2= Last gen. Old crap. (lol)
Metroid Prime is, like so many others= Crap lol

Holier than thou diatribe.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to dismiss Ratchet and Clank as a great game. You should probably get on that. If you don't it might detract from your over-all "shmarmity."

[quote name='meesterjojo']Drake= Tomb Raider rip off, as someone else stated. Wooo
Orange Box= aside from Portal, nothing new, at all- another FPS in a pretty box
Bioshock= FPS in a pretty box, no innovation beyond textures
Zack & Wiki= /snort, haha
Halo 3= I love Halo 3 as much as the next guy, I collected skulls, got my rank up online in the first few hours, etc, but it's still just another FPS with a now old, rehashed story line, and so-so graphics
Rock Band= GOTY? er...
God of War 2= er..why? They'd more likely pick a Tickle-me-Elmo title
Metroid Prime is, like so many others= old shit rehashed for a new system and a young audience.

Some of you kids will see this one day, I dearly hope: Most of these games you love and feel are super hot originals are just the same old rehashed crap. Sure it's fun for a bit, but when you've been gaming for ever and a day you come to appreciate a bit of originality now and then, especially when they pop in something original in an established franchise (not something that happens often= people love the predictible)[/quote]So, what's new and innovative about Super Mario Galaxy? Seems to me you still collect stars and still do basic platforming. Oh, but since it has some INCREDIBLY INNOVATIVE ways to collect tons of star bits (an act that is INCREDIBLY dated and old, picking up reams of collectable).

Bioshock is MY Game of the Year.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, what's new and innovative about Super Mario Galaxy? [/QUOTE]

You don't sound any smarter when you completely dismiss the other way around.

Mario Galaxy: Absolutely.

Phantom Hourglass: No. Simply no.

Uncharted: Haven't played it, but I really want to.

I have to say, Mass Effect was absolutely AMAZING. So was BioShock. Can't see why they weren't picked.

1. Persona 3
2. Rockband
3. Virtua Fighter 5
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Skate

Mass Effect & Super Mario Galaxy are honorable mentions. But as it stand I had the most fun with those games last year.

Bioshock is my GOTY. Even tho it fell apart at the end, the first 75% was so well done.

I'm playing Galaxy now, and find it a little boring. I'm only a few hours in, so hopefully it picks up.

Played through COD4, and find it a bit over rated. Maybe my mistake was playing on Vet as it can be very frustrating. Very fun tho. A significant step up for the series, but pretty much more of the same game play wise. I prefer WW2 shooters, so maybe thats the reason I didnt think it was GOTY material.

Played through Crysis, and thinks its a bit over rated too. There were several major bugs that required I back up a few saves, and I almost had a game breaking bug (but found a work around). The first half felt like Far Cry, and the graphics were not 'all that' (like people were saying) on medium level. My PC is not top of the line, but not that bad with an 8800GS and dual cores. I can't beleive PC Gamer gave this a 98%. Its an 85% at best. The hype machine at work I guess.

[quote name='Strell']You don't sound any smarter when you completely dismiss the other way around.[/quote]How about, instead of trying so hard to be witty, you answer the fucking question for once? Just because a game lets you shake the Wii-mote to do a damn spin move, something that could easily be mapped onto one of the face buttons (and actually be more easy and less annoying to use), it doesn't mean it's "innovative".

This whole arguement is dumb. You could bitch about ANY game being derivative these days. meesterjojo, if you're going to complain about pretty much EVERY good game this year being the same old thing, then I really feel sorry for you. How about, instead of bitching and moaning about the games, you just play them and have fun?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']How about, instead of trying so hard to be witty, you answer the fucking question for once? Just because a game lets you shake the Wii-mote to do a damn spin move, something that could easily be mapped onto one of the face buttons (and actually be more easy and less annoying to use), it doesn't mean it's "innovative".
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, and risk wasting time talking to someone who is just going to be a prick about it anyway, completely dismiss it, call me a fanboy, and then masturbate all over himself?

Uh huh. A beautiful use of my time, arguing with a yesman.

[quote name='Strell']Gosh, and risk wasting time talking to someone who is just going to be a prick about it anyway, completely dismiss it, call me a fanboy, and then masturbate all over himself?

Uh huh. A beautiful use of my time, arguing with a yesman.[/quote]Typical. The old "I don't have to explain myself to YOU" routine. :applause:

You know what else is also rehashed and played out? Strell's use of italics.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Typical. The old "I don't have to explain myself to YOU" routine. :applause:[/quote]

Incredible. You can go read pages of my responses if you'd like. I'm sure that demonstrates my ability to explain things.

But maybe you'd like to learn how to read before doing that, hmmm? Just stand outside of the Arby's drive through until you can communicate your order to them without just pointing to the pictures and rubbing your tummy.

You know what else is also rehashed and played out? Strell's use of italics.

It's not nearly as overused as your constant fuck-up-every-thread-you're-in-by-being-the-poster-boy-for-manic-dipshits shtick, which - trust me - no one has ever picked up on before.

Every one of your posts is like finding shit in a urinal. I'm not happy to be in a public restroom to begin with, to say nothing of the retards making it worse.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, what's new and innovative about Super Mario Galaxy?[/QUOTE]
Don't you know? Spinning the camera so you're platforming upside-down is super innovative.

[quote name='Strell']Incredible. You can go read pages of my responses if you'd like. I'm sure that demonstrates my ability to explain things.

But maybe you'd like to learn how to read before doing that, hmmm? Just stand outside of the Arby's drive through until you can communicate your order to them without just pointing to the pictures and rubbing your tummy.

[/quote]So, instead of you giving me an answer in this thread, I am supposed to search around the forums for your thoughts on Mario Galaxy? Why don't you just sum it up real easy for me with this:

Nintendo's Cock + Strell's Asshole = Game of the Year!

Hey, I could tell you all the reasons why I think Bioshock was the best game of 2007, but instead, you can just hunt down all of my Bioshock related posts.

Oh, and those Arbys lines, they just never get old. I swear, you must have some kind of Joke Mad Libs book you use, so that in every jab against me, you can either:

A) Mention Arbys
B) Mention my mother
C) Make some jumbled mess of my name (Example: Vagyro Gogreekesauce)

[quote name='pete5883']Don't you know? Spinning the camera so you're platforming upside-down is super innovative.[/quote]Well, Strell COULD tell you how it is SOOOO innovative, but not here. You'll have to search for his posts regarding that subject matter!

Meh, its all subjective. Everyone is gonna have an issue with something. I really dont think that its GOTY, but I dont really care.

I didn't know I had to give an answer as to why I may or may not think Mario Galaxy is game of the year.

In fact, maybe you could tell me where I made that claim? I'd be real astonished to find out.

Go on. Be sure to use some tired-as-fuck insults while you're doing it, garnering a lot of support from....no one on here.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, Strell COULD tell you how it is SOOOO innovative, but not here. You'll have to search for his posts regarding that subject matter![/QUOTE]

Strell,

If you don't mind, I'll bite here. I'm not sure if SMG is my game of the year (I hate to do these, since I usualy space out my buys and wait for games to become cheap (with a few exceptions), so I only played Halo 3 and SMG as the newer games, and I haven't tried many other contenders.

But, SMG is innovative in its use of gravity. Play the game for 5 or so hours, and you will see several instances where the game completely changes the use of gravity in the game to use in the puzzle. So, getting to the star is completely different than in Sunshine or 64 (or any other game that I've played). Plus, I'll admit, the Wii is new to me, and shaking the remote around is a fun way to do it.

So, am I a fanboy, for Mario, yeah, I am. I also do love the Wii (though, I would argue that my favorite system so far this gen is the 360).

Though, things don't always have to be innovative to be great. By that definition, you really couldn't have a great movie, since almost every topic has been done in some form.

[quote name='meesterjojo']
Orange Box= aside from Portal, nothing new, at all- another FPS in a pretty box
[/quote]

you sir, shall NEVER, and I fucking mean NEVER. talk about the orange box and Half Life 2 like that again.

Dumb way to pick the finalists. Obviously really helps systems with fewer great games (Wii and PS3.) Whatever. My guess is that if one out of Halo 3, Orange Box, Mass Effect or Bioshock would have been a PS3 title it would have cleaned up in the PS3 category and easily made the final list. I wonder why the guy didn't just have the writer's pick an overall top 3 in addition to their system specific lists?

Also interesting that neither Halo 3 nor Mass Effect cracked the top 2 360 list. Damn there were a lot of great games on the 360 last year.

Wow you guys have horrible taste or haven't played SMG if you don't think Super Mario Galaxy deserves GOTY.

And who cares if a game is super innovative or not, if the game is great it's great. STFU about innovation plz.

Why complain about Galaxy? It's GOTY in my opinion, and it is GOTY according to many publications (including Gamespot, which I was sure Kane and Lynch would win).

Coming in late to the thread, but I'm kinda surprised to see all the hate directed at Phantom Hourglass. My biggest complaint was that it was too short, but I thought it was very well executed.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']
You know what else is also rehashed and played out? Strell's use of italics.[/quote]

I have to say, I rather enjoy Strell's use of italics. In fact, I think I may try to use them more often. Like this.

If liking SMG makes us fanboys, then you had better call the majority (if not all) of the gaming press fanboys too. SMG has not recieved a single legitimate review below 90%, and there is nothing the thread starter or Mr. Gorilla can do about it.

why are you guys complaining? who cares what is GOTY! We all know what is good and what is bad. play your games, people, dont complain about them

[quote name='I have to say, I rather [I']enjoy[/I] Strell's use of italics. In fact, I think I may try to use them more often. Like this.[/quote]

agreed

[quote name='benjamouth']Wait, so the game people have a problem with in that list is SMG, not the crappy Tomb Raider rip-off on the PS3.

I mean it's a PS3 exclusive, how good can it really be ??
Come on people, get it together.[/quote]

I was being sarcastic, sorry folks couldn't help myself, Uncharted looks pretty sweet.

But honestly this is so subjective it's not worth arguing about, I was surprised there was such a negative reaction to SMG being on there, wasn't it top of the unofficial poll we had on CAG a couple of weeks ago.

A lot of people rate it very highly, myself included.

Super Mario Galaxy stays consistently good, Bioshock falls to 6/10 levels in its last few hours of backtracking, the unnecessary last boss fight, and the awful bipolar endings. It's a great game until then, but clearly flawed in the finale.

[quote name='jer7583']Super Mario Galaxy stays consistently good, Bioshock falls to 6/10 levels in its last few hours of backtracking, the unnecessary last boss fight, and the awful bipolar endings. It's a great game until then, but clearly flawed in the finale.[/QUOTE]
We don't agree on much, but I definitely agree with you on Bioshock. Started off great, but when I was about 2/3 of the way through I didn't want to play anymore.

SMG is excellent so far (I'm 22 stars in) but anyone who has played local 4 player Rock Band knows that is the most fun you can possibly have playing video games. Portal is also awesome and so is Bioshock... great year overall. My Top 5 so far (subject to change based on playing more) is:

1. Rock Band
2. Bioshock
3. Portal
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. GHIII

Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect are also awesome. I haven't played Uncharted though. Zelda DS wouldn't even crack my Top 10 for this year...

Local 4-player Rockband is the best. I could play for 5 hours and it feels like I've only been playing for 30 minutes. Mario is great, but Rockband is THE game of 07'.... only if you have friends that is. ;)

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']No shit that game is horrible.[/quote]
Zelda: PH wasn't horrible, just wasn't GOTY worthy.

bread's done
Back