Kotaku DSlite contest

Anyone have an idea if this deals with King Arthur, Stargate, some videogame movie, or anything else? I've been skimming all these topics and finding nothing much of relevance..

Oh please, this week's contest is much easier than last week's, they practically give the answer away in the hints.

You know, from the hint I was 90% sure my answer was right, but after doing a little research I'm positive I have the answer.

Kind of hoping I win the black DS Lite though.

I've got a good feeling about this one considering I thought I knew the answer before Googling, and then my Google results matched up with what I'm thinking.

Unless you know, they're being tricky bastards. Good luck to everyone, but hopefully better luck to me ;)

Got it, but only through clever web surfing. This does not seem very easy if you don't know the answer.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Oh please, this week's contest is much easier than last week's, they practically give the answer away in the hints.[/QUOTE]

I thought they gave the answer away in the question, personally. Props to Kotaku though...they are definitely making people work for the prize :)

[quote name='waitinthefire']are they talking about the island of Avalon? Or is it some sort of movie/game place?[/QUOTE]

Dude, telling you that would give it away. Just take a day off and try again with a fresh brain. Honestly its only hard because there's only one right avenue to search and every other one will lead in frustration, but if you persist you'll figure it out. You've got till Friday anyways, so I'm sure everyone here can figure it out.

Ash20and20Boomstick.jpg

Yeah, I went back and forth on whether I should post that hint. This contest isn't really a skill based question like the last one, more on whether or not you had seen a certain thing.

I might be giving away my chance at a free DS, but hey, this forum is supposedly a community, right?

[quote name='chakan']
Ash20and20Boomstick.jpg
[/quote]

Correct, although that's not the particular one they were talking about. More like....

aa3wf.jpg

Hilarious thing is I own the movie but still haven't watched it.

:shock:
OH, how freaking simple(Now that I've figured it out)!!!
I'm such an idiot for not getting it earlier!
:wall:
Good luck everyone!

I get it now, but I'm somewhat confused as to how the answer clasifies as a "citizen." I guess it's just a case where a label can apply to multiple entities, aye?

Beyond that, "Avalon" sounds like an interesting movie. I might have to track it down. Unless someone tells me not to.

that's what I thought it was, but i didn't get the avalon connection.. Shouldn't have doubted myself!

[quote name='Strell']I get it now, but I'm somewhat confused as to how the answer clasifies as a "citizen." I guess it's just a case where a label can apply to multiple entities, aye?

Beyond that, "Avalon" sounds like an interesting movie. I might have to track it down. Unless someone tells me not to.[/quote]
Seeing as how Kotaku reminded me I own it, I think I might watch it tomorrow. I'll let you know. Just FYI, I don't believe there is a R1 US version of it. Mine is R3 S. Korea.

EDIT: My mistake, there is a R1 version. But it's Miramax so it's probably butchered.

EDIT 2: Holy shit, according to DVD Beaver my copy has full bitrate DTS. fucking bonus!

[quote name='SMMM']
melash6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Now that's hilarious!

I also had the right thought given the Roman and erupts hint (i.e. Vesuvious) but the Avalon reference threw me off a bit since I've never seen that movie until I just looked it up.

Just watched Avalon. It was pretty good. Kind of cyber-punk movie (except everything is old and industrial instead of new and sleek looking) with a muted palate but shot more like a noir movie. It's more like the Thirteenth Floor or Ghost in the Shell than The Matrix. Not a whole lot of action, so don't expect much. Actually, it's the same director as Ghost in the Shell.

So we're just giving the answers away now? Jesus, why did I waste a bunch of time figuring this out myself?

[quote name='ma']So we're just giving the answers away now? Jesus, why did I waste a bunch of time figuring this out myself?[/QUOTE]
Its not a complete waste; don't you feel intellectually superior figuring it out on your own?

But, whatever, its just an internet contest that none of us is likely to win.

[quote name='chakan']Its not a complete waste; don't you feel intellectually superior figuring it out on your own?

But, whatever, its just an internet contest that none of us is likely to win.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's not like the contest is exclusive to Kotaku members. If the answer wouldn't be given away here, you can rest assured that it would be given in any other forum. Besides, I thought that we were here to help each other out.

[quote name='jasonlives13']Agreed. It's not like the contest is exclusive to Kotaku members. If the answer wouldn't be given away here, you can rest assured that it would be given in any other forum. Besides, I thought that we were here to help each other out.[/quote]
word

OMg they posted this weeks trivia... : Although some might look for me in West Virginia - I've lived in fair, misty towns - Moriarty's puzzle rose above the scum to weave my draft. What am I?
man thats a hard one and no hints

I'm pretty sure I have the answer, but not positive enough to actually submit. Without giving it away, I think it's another movie title, but this one is based on a videogame. Still not 100% sure although I can't think what else it could be.

I don't know if I got the right final answer, but I know exactly what they're talking about.

A hint: Brian Moriarty is the Moriarty they refer to, and he used to make classic adventure games.

I hope I chose the right word, because there may have been something deeper that they were looking for...it seemed easy when I figured out what everything in the hint was referring to.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I don't know if I got the right final answer, but I know exactly what they're talking about.

A hint: Brian Moriarty is the Moriarty they refer to, and he used to make classic adventure games.

I hope I chose the right word, because there may have been something deeper that they were looking for...it seemed easy when I figured out what everything in the hint was referring to.[/quote]
Actually, going by your hint I think I have the answer you are talking about and it seems much more solid than mine. The 'weave' part pretty much seals it.

EDIT: Yep, this is definitely the right answer. Thanks for the hint Arkay!

[quote name='Stuka']I'm pretty sure I have the answer, but not positive enough to actually submit. Without giving it away, I think it's another movie title, but this one is based on a videogame. Still not 100% sure although I can't think what else it could be.[/quote]

I had that answer and already sent it in. Damn you Arkay!

[quote name='Foolman']I had that answer and already sent it in. Damn you Arkay![/quote]
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of that. It still actually fits surprisingly well although the Moriarty connection I came up with for Silent Hill was pretty thin. Although it did fit, and 'draft' made me instantly think of a movie, Silent Hill is in W.V. in the movie, and 'rose' is the little girl I think. It was pretty convincing.

OK, I'm not good at this, not at all. My brain is now goo from all the thime I've tried this one.
:drool:
I still don't know, even with the hint! Aga!

Still, I have 'til Friday.

:bomb:

bread's done
Back