Kotaku passwords leaked.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Hey everyone.

Kotaku has been hacked, and your username and password might be out there.

Someone from GAF has an easy way to check if your name has been compromised...

1. http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/
2. Enter your email address under "Input", and click on "MD5". Copy the "Result".
3. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=350662
4. Click on "Show Options" and change the filter to "MD5". Paste the copied "Result" and see if it shows up on search. If ANYTHING shows up on the search result (e.g. xxxx.com where xxxx is the domain of your email address) it does then your password has been compromised and sooner or later will be hacked if they feel like it.

If you used Facebook or Twitter, you SHOULD be safe since they don't store anything.

I think I'm going to go change all my passwords regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I'm on the list. This means your password for Kotaku/Gawker only? My email account should be safe it's already a different password, right?

[quote name='shinryuu']Ugh. I'm on the list. This means your password for Kotaku/Gawker only? My email account should be safe it's already a different password, right?[/QUOTE]

Technically, but like I said, I changed mine to be absolutely sure, and I'm not even on the list.

The underlying problem with Gawker and their antiquated encryption still exists so be mindful of what you use as your new password.

Change your Gawker password to something unique which has nothing to do with any of your other passwords and also consider said other passwords compromised and change them as well.

A large part of hacking these days has to do with social engineering so sever any and all ties which your Gawker account/email/password could possibly have to the rest of your data/info.

so im guessing if my username was dog and my password was cat, the hackers would try this combo on other websites like gmail and maybe banks or something?

I tried the steps the OP posted and it displayed 1 result that showed the domain of my email address. My kotaku and email password are different however. Should I change it anyways?

[quote name='emeraldgsl']so im guessing if my username was dog and my password was cat, the hackers would try this combo on other websites like gmail and maybe banks or something?[/quote]
Yes. People on Gaf have reported that their PSN and LinkedIn accounts, among others, were already attempted on. The hackers have leaked the Gawker username, the email used to sign up for the Gawker account, and the password of the Gawker account.

I tried the steps the OP posted and it displayed 1 result that showed the domain of my email address. My kotaku and email password are different however. Should I change it anyways?

I did even though it is different, but if the password is different enough you should be ok. Also make sure to change any of your accounts that use the same password even if you use a different username or email address for those accounts.

I think the gawker attitude on this pisses me off the most. Calling the users peasants was nice.

All my passwords are changed now. Don't think I'll ever visit Kotaku again. I wad tired of reading about Mario shampoo anyway.

I don't say it nearly often enough, but fuck kotaku and the shitty company that owns them.

My email came up, guess I have to change ALL my passwords. GROAN.

edit: here's an even easier way to check if your info has been released: http://www.slate.com/id/2277768

I still cant get back into Kotaku. It wouldn't take my old password for a pw change, and when I requested a password reset to my email, the temp password they gave me doesn't work.

I'm not worried about any other accounts being comprimised, as my Kotaku password was unique to that site, but it's still annoying.

fuck Gawker media and their poor security. I regret making a old account on there now because I had to spend the day changing most of my passwords. The only good blog they had was Lifehacker. I hope this security breach makes them lose most of their users and go out of business. Peasants they call their users? fuck them.

I wish someone would tell me which password got released from there. Since they deactivated my account I can't find out what my old one was. I am almost positive it was a throw away one I use on all forums but have been going through and updating all of mine to be safe.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']I wish someone would tell me which password got released from there. Since they deactivated my account I can't find out what my old one was. I am almost positive it was a throw away one I use on all forums but have been going through and updating all of mine to be safe.[/QUOTE]

seconded

rather than edit the above, I just downloaded the gawker file from the pirate bay and searched for my password. fuck. care less about the email address but user id matches another one i use.

PM me if you want to match things up without downloading it and I can give you the info.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I don't say it nearly often enough, but fuck kotaku and the shitty company that owns them.

My email came up, guess I have to change ALL my passwords. GROAN.

edit: here's an even easier way to check if your info has been released: http://www.slate.com/id/2277768[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I was sorta contemplating whether to d/l the actual leak file or not. What does it mean that it pops up as a hit for your username but not email?

Also, I'm not sure who to be pissed off more at; Gawker's security(or lack there of) or the hackers that actually did this. I mean, the hell do 99.99% of the users have to do with their beef with Gawker?

bread's done
Back