LA Noire $59.99 + $20 Credit @ Amazon

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Looks like Amazon just changed their promotional credit from $15 to $20 for LA Noire. How nice of them to do so the day AFTER most of our orders shipped so that they don't have to technically honor this for those who preordered. Still worth a try though.

PS3

Last edited by a moderator:
sooo this isnt a GTA type game set in the 40s??? meh not sure if i should get it now.....hows the free roam? is there any cools stuff you can do?

[quote name='VaultDweller']sooo this isnt a GTA type game set in the 40s??? meh not sure if i should get it now.....hows the free roam? is there any cools stuff you can do?[/QUOTE]

Based on my experience so far (under 3 hours...not much), there isn't a lot of on-the-fly interactions in the game world that are not a part of the main quest or side quests. I'm sticking to the main quests for my first go with all the investigation help options (like rumble and musical jingles) set to off. That said, I do not know how good the side quests are and have refrained from having them (or the main quest) spoiled so far.

I will however do the side quests on my 2nd playthrough.

The game so far is fantastic. Again, like many games, it may not be for everyone that assume just because it is published by R*, that it will be exactly like GTA or RDR. They hold certain aspects in common, but not all.

There are things not implemented in this game that are in GTA/RDR. But likewise, there are aspects in this game not to be found in GTA/RDR. As I stated, if you are a fan of film noire and adventure games, you will love and appreciate this game. What it set out to do , it does extremely well.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Based on my experience so far (under 3 hours...not much), there isn't a lot of on-the-fly interactions in the game world that are not a part of the main quest or side quests. I'm sticking to the main quests for my first go with all the investigation help options (like rumble and musical jingles) set to off. That said, I do not know how good the side quests are and have refrained from having them (or the main quest) spoiled so far.

I will however do the side quests on my 2nd playthrough.

The game so far is fantastic. Again, like many games, it may not be for everyone that assume just because it is published by R*, that it will be exactly like GTA or RDR. They hold certain aspects in common, but not all.

There are things not implemented in this game that are in GTA/RDR. But likewise, there are aspects in this game not to be found in GTA/RDR. As I stated, if you are a fan of film noire and adventure games, you will love and appreciate this game. What it set out to do , it does extremely well.[/QUOTE]

1244871700281.jpg

[quote name='HeSaveDave']
1244871700281.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Your perceived freaky clown pic only brings me further solace in an otherwise sad world devoid of the very falsely discriminated clowns that only seek to bring happiness and joy to the children in all of us!

Coulrophobia is pure propaganda...a hate crime that should be outlawed!

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Your perceived freaky clown pic only brings me further solace in an otherwise sad world devoid of the very falsely discriminated clowns that only seek to bring happiness and joy to the children in all of us!

Coulrophobia is pure propaganda...a hate crime that should be outlawed![/QUOTE]

I was doing it to comfort and befriend you. I wasn't trying to freak you out. With your love of clowns I knew how you would receive it. :grouphug:

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I was doing it to comfort and befriend you. I wasn't trying to freak you out. With your love of clowns I knew how you would receive it. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Then you, my new friend, have not only made a friend indeed...but are now a global friend of clowns everywhere, who will always help a friend in need! :D

Ok, I give up. This time I tried to go the Chat route, since I got rejected twice on the phone:

Charu:Hello, my name is Charu. I'll be happy to help you today.

Me:hello

this is regarding the $15 promotional credit

for ordering LA Noire

i didn't receive it for this order

Charu:It has already been added to your account.

Me:that was for another order

i didn't get it for this one

Charu:That was for which order?

Me:103-3450427-2220252

i received $15 credit for that one

but not for 103-4462112-3118608

Charu:you can't get promotion for the same item twice.

Only one promotion is given per item.

Me:it's not the same item though

one is for xbox 360

the other is for playstation 3

they have different UPC and ASIN numbers

Charu:But its LA Noire.

Me:then how come i got a $5 promo credit the next day

for both?

Charu:That was an error.

Me:i assumed these would be treated as 2 different items

since they are for different systems

is there nothing you can do?

Charu:I am sorry nothing can be done in this case.

Me:evne though i've spoken w/ people online that they received the credit for ordering the same way i did?

doesn't seem right to me

Charu:Nobody has received the credit for the same item.

Charu from Amazon.com has left the conversation.

[quote name='Marker']Ok, I give up. This time I tried to go the Chat route, since I got rejected twice on the phone:

Charu:Hello, my name is Charu. I'll be happy to help you today.

Me:hello

this is regarding the $15 promotional credit

for ordering LA Noire

i didn't receive it for this order

Charu:It has already been added to your account.

Me:that was for another order

i didn't get it for this one

Charu:That was for which order?

Me:103-3450427-2220252

i received $15 credit for that one

but not for 103-4462112-3118608

Charu:you can't get promotion for the same item twice.

Me:it's not the same item though

one is for xbox 360

the other is for playstation 3

they have different UPC and ASIN numbers

Charu:But its LA Noire.

Me:then how come i got a $5 promo credit the next day

for both?

Charu:That was an error.

Me:i assumed these would be treated as 2 different items

since they are for different systems

is there nothing you can do?

Charu:I am sorry nothing can be done in this case.

Me:evne though i've spoken w/ people online that they received the credit for ordering the same way i did?

doesn't seem right to me

Charu:Nobody has received the credit for the same item.

Charu from Amazon.com has left the conversation.[/QUOTE]

Charu needs to either re-take Amazon Policy 101 or be relieved of his duties. Man, wait a few and try again. Nothing against most of the outsourced CSR's, but some of them do not know what they are doing or what they speak of. They purely think of their job security rather than following factual company policy.

Try again in a bit, and you will see the drastic difference first-hand. Don't be shy! In this case...you are in the right! :D

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Charu needs to either re-take Amazon Policy 101 or be relieved of his duties. Man, wait a few and try again. Nothing against most of the outsourced CSR's, but some of them do not know what they are doing or what they speak of. They purely think of their job security rather than following factual company policy.
[/QUOTE]

It's strange, I ran into this type of CSR as well earlier today when my copy of SMT Strange Journey came damaged. The Rep Amar took like 5 minutes between answers and seemed like he didn't even know that he was working for Amazon as a CSR. At least he managed to get in a replacement order.

All I know, These Amazon CSR's have the easiest job in the world all they have to do is confuse people then sign off as quickly as possible.

[quote name='Sophita']It's strange, I ran into this type of CSR as well earlier today when my copy of SMT Strange Journey came damaged. The Rep Amar took like 5 minutes between answers and seemed like he didn't even know that he was working for Amazon as a CSR. At least he managed to get in a replacement order.

All I know, These Amazon CSR's have the easiest job in the world all they have to do is confuse people then sign off as quickly as possible.[/QUOTE]

While respecting other people in the world...this is why I feel globalization tactics are dead wrong, especially on a business level.

And to be bluntly honest, Amazon, along with any other merchant/business that feels like outsourcing their business when their business demographic is primarily based in countries not of origin where the customer-base will be dealing with their issues with, deserve the countless inundation of questions and inquiries.

There is a good amount of lack of understanding between the customer and the CSR. Now don't get me wrong...Amazon CSR has been outstanding for the most part. But I still remember, being a long-time Amazon customer, what it felt like speaking to a CSR from their Seattle office. The difference from then and now is night and day!

Every now and then I will still deal with someone from Seattle...but for the most part (like most CSR from any merchant/company...like Microsoft) it's from India. And that isn't so much a problem, from a CSR standpoint, for the most part. The problem lies when you have ill-educated/trained outsourced CSR's that treat customers (that are primarily from western countries) like they were from their own.

And I'm putting that as lightly as I can. I'm all about respecting other's culture...but this is business...and when it comes to business...I throw PC bullshit straight out the window.

They do not even know their own company's policy. Plain and simple. So as some simpletons here, who obviously do not know anything about business, and chastise others here for "complaining" to receive that which is rightfully theirs, which was in writing based on Amazon's own policy...I say as long as you stick to what is valid...what others have been factually given...you have every right as a customer to simply ask that which what was given to other customers, without the fear-mongering that your account will otherwise be closed for simply and factually inquiring said issue.

If that were the case, and if Amazon simply started closing accounts for such issues, I'd say fuck 'em and find the next best thing. Hopefully it doesn't come to that as AMZ has been great, for the most part, to this day. But this should be a warning to them. Do not begin to minimize your standards...it will bite you in the ass in the long run. There's a reason why you became such a major retail competitor in the first place.

I've been drinking a few beers...but fuckin aye...I believe I make more sense drinking 12 ales than some do that are obviously drinking out of the horse's trough. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
+1... couldn't resist any longer. Used my $20 credit from Portal 2 and got $20 back, so got the game for $40, not bad!

This game looks sooooo good, but I can't help but think it'll be $40 or $35 within the month, based on how other game releases have gone recently.

I know $60 + $20 credit is essentially $40, but if you buy the game at just $40 straight, that's less money coming out of your pocket. Don't necessarily have the money to spend at the moment.

I was going to do the honorable CAG thing to do and e-mail Amazon to get the extra $5 until I checked my promotional credit and realized that not only did Amazon apparently credit me the $15 from LA Noire twice, but they credited me the $10 from Brink twice too so I'm quitting while I'm ahead and hoping they don't notice.

[quote name='Dalerax']This game looks sooooo good, but I can't help but think it'll be $40 or $35 within the month, based on how other game releases have gone recently.

I know $60 + $20 credit is essentially $40, but if you buy the game at just $40 straight, that's less money coming out of your pocket. Don't necessarily have the money to spend at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the same thing but I'm just unsure. On the one hand it is Rockstar and they are notoriously stingy about dropping the price of the games in the first 6-12 months. On the other hand the game, while open world, seems to be fairly linear with no multi-player to add to the replay value of the game. Those are the kind of games that seem to drop the fastest.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I've been thinking the same thing but I'm just unsure. On the one hand it is Rockstar and they are notoriously stingy about dropping the price of the games in the first 6-12 months. On the other hand the game, while open world, seems to be fairly linear with no multi-player to add to the replay value of the game. Those are the kind of games that seem to drop the fastest.[/QUOTE]

Thought the exact same thing, but I forgot to factor in the fact Noire has no multiplayer when I made my purchase. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get to Noire before it drops to $40, so then I don't feel ripped off.

Also, why is the game called LA Black? It's odd, but I suppose they weren't going with the literal definition of noire but for something like film noire.

Its been just one promotional credit for a long time now. You are not supposed to get it twice. It doesn't matter if you buy it for different systems.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']
Also, why is the game called LA Black? It's odd, but I suppose they weren't going with the literal definition of noire but for something like film noire.[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question. Also it's 'Noir' when spelled right, but reportedly someone misspelled it at some point during production and they decided to just stick with it. Not sure why, but it probably is more trademark-able when spelled that way, etc.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']While respecting other people in the world...this is why I feel globalization tactics are dead wrong, especially on a business level.

And to be bluntly honest, Amazon, along with any other merchant/business that feels like outsourcing their business when their business demographic is primarily based in countries not of origin where the customer-base will be dealing with their issues with, deserve the countless inundation of questions and inquiries.

There is a good amount of lack of understanding between the customer and the CSR. Now don't get me wrong...Amazon CSR has been outstanding for the most part. But I still remember, being a long-time Amazon customer, what it felt like speaking to a CSR from their Seattle office. The difference from then and now is night and day!

Every now and then I will still deal with someone from Seattle...but for the most part (like most CSR from any merchant/company...like Microsoft) it's from India. And that isn't so much a problem, from a CSR standpoint, for the most part. The problem lies when you have ill-educated/trained outsourced CSR's that treat customers (that are primarily from western countries) like they were from their own.

And I'm putting that as lightly as I can. I'm all about respecting other's culture...but this is business...and when it comes to business...I throw PC bullshit straight out the window.

They do not even know their own company's policy. Plain and simple. So as some simpletons here, who obviously do not know anything about business, and chastise others here for "complaining" to receive that which is rightfully theirs, which was in writing based on Amazon's own policy...I say as long as you stick to what is valid...what others have been factually given...you have every right as a customer to simply ask that which what was given to other customers, without the fear-mongering that your account will otherwise be closed for simply and factually inquiring said issue.

If that were the case, and if Amazon simply started closing accounts for such issues, I'd say fuck 'em and find the next best thing. Hopefully it doesn't come to that as AMZ has been great, for the most part, to this day. But this should be a warning to them. Do not begin to minimize your standards...it will bite you in the ass in the long run. There's a reason why you became such a major retail competitor in the first place.

I've been drinking a few beers...but fuckin aye...I believe I make more sense drinking 12 ales than some do that are obviously drinking out of the horse's trough. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Amazon still has an American CSR team (I only deal with them) and they even assigned a concierge to one of my items. So rest assured, Amazon has plenty of Americans working customer service. And if that ever stops, my business will stop as well.

Amazon constantly strives for top of the line customer service and that won't be achieved by Apurva half away across the world.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I've been thinking the same thing but I'm just unsure. On the one hand it is Rockstar and they are notoriously stingy about dropping the price of the games in the first 6-12 months. On the other hand the game, while open world, seems to be fairly linear with no multi-player to add to the replay value of the game. Those are the kind of games that seem to drop the fastest.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty clear that Rockstar views this as a different type of game and is not likely to say, 'Oh, shit duke nukem is coming out, better unleash some more promo money' because they just don't see other games as direct competition....while they are competing in the general video game market, Rockstar seems to act that their products are unique and not easily substitutable. Likewise, multiplayer hasn't been a strong point in either GTA IV or RDR (although RDR's did improve over time with DLC), But that said, there are going to be a ton of used copies floating around real soon because I don't see people holding on to this for very long...I know I'm not.

I'm starting to think that LA Noire is going to be video game equivalent of something like the film "requiem for a dream"...something you watch/play and you are really impressed with it but you never want to watch/play again after you are done with it.

[quote name='Dalerax']This game looks sooooo good, but I can't help but think it'll be $40 or $35 within the month, based on how other game releases have gone recently.

I know $60 + $20 credit is essentially $40, but if you buy the game at just $40 straight, that's less money coming out of your pocket. Don't necessarily have the money to spend at the moment.[/QUOTE]

But for someone like me who has Amazon credit from Best Buy, then it really is $40, but I understand what you mean if you are just buying the game straight up.I agree tho that this game will be 40 dollars in a few weeks. I also think it will have plenty of DLC for those that wait for GOTY.

I'm really going to try to hold out for the GOTY or maybe just when the original non-GOTY drops to $20. Probably the latter. I doubt I'd ever get to any DLC. Probably won't even finish the main game, just like RDR!

bread's done
Back