LA Noire PS3 or 360 $9.99 used at Gamefly

So glad I paid $15 for this one from them a few weeks ago. CAG-fail.

Edit: Free shipping on 360 only. Makes me feel a little better.

[quote name='tylerh1701']So glad I paid $15 for this one from them a few weeks ago. CAG-fail.

Edit: Free shipping on 360 only. Makes me feel a little better.[/QUOTE]

Well I paid $20 for the 360 version from gamefly a few months ago. Hasn't been touched. Major CAG-fail.

if i had played this game when i was younger i would have hated it...but im in my late 20s now and i absolutely love it. its funny how things change over time.

i got it new for 10 bucks from taregt clearance a few months ago. I would have been pissed if i paid more. Its just boring yet it is a stunning game. Just nothing to do but drive and not hit anything. GTA it is not.

[quote name='kit352']i got it new for 10 bucks from taregt clearance a few months ago. I would have been pissed if i paid more. Its just boring yet it is a stunning game. Just nothing to do but drive and not hit anything. GTA it is not.[/QUOTE]
Thank God it's not. L.A. Noire has one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a video game. But it's definitely not for everyone.

And like half the cast of Mad Men is in it, which is awesome. Plus if you're from L.A. or have ever lived in L.A., it's double awesome.

Great story, love the Phoenix Wright type gameplay if you know what I mean. I'm on the last few cases right now...

My only complaint is the combat is very clunky (seems to be the case in a lot of Rockstar games, they need to work on the cover/aiming mechanics) and that It's on 3 discs but that's fine because I got plenty of storage space.

Don't know how to say this without coming off as a snob, but how much you enjoy L.A. Noire depends on how much you enjoy a mature, methodically-paced story. If you're in it expecting to kill hookers simply because it's a Rockstar game, you're in it for the wrong reason.

I've finished both the PS3 and 360 versions and had a blast with both. The only place where the disc-swapping on the 360 version gets tedious is wrapping up missions and achievements after the game is over.

It took a lot out of me to finish this game. Was gruesome! I did about 15 side missions and decided i should just let my partner drive to the destinations for the main quests. Hate this game with a passion but glad i manage to get through it. Deleted it off my pc right after i finished it.

[quote name='BinaryTB']Looks like both versions of the game are $11.99 now.[/QUOTE]

Everywhere, a few stores or just gamefly? Care to further expand on that?

[quote name='killerthrust']It took a lot out of me to finish this game. Was gruesome! I did about 15 side missions and decided i should just let my partner drive to the destinations for the main quests. Hate this game with a passion but glad i manage to get through it. Deleted it off my pc right after i finished it.[/QUOTE]

Game: "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

I can't imagine playing a game past the point I decided it wasn't enjoyable.

[quote name='JMusic']Game: "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

I can't imagine playing a game past the point I decided it wasn't enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I was looking through IGN guide and noticed there were 20 cases in all, I was on 14 already and decided to grind through the last 6 cases for the story.

[quote name='kit352']i got it new for 10 bucks from taregt clearance a few months ago. I would have been pissed if i paid more. Its just boring yet it is a stunning game. Just nothing to do but drive and not hit anything. GTA it is not.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='simmias']Thank God it's not. L.A. Noire has one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a video game. But it's definitely not for everyone.And like half the cast of Mad Men is in it, which is awesome[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Turbojugend']Don't know how to say this without coming off as a snob, but how much you enjoy L.A. Noire depends on how much you enjoy a mature, methodically-paced story. If you're in it expecting to kill hookers simply because it's a Rockstar game, you're in it for the wrong reason.
[/QUOTE]

$10 bucks is a steal.

Last edited by a moderator:
got this game used on Amazon last week for 13 bucks.

It came with the Gamestop bonuses that you got for purchasing day one.

The Naked city vice case and a couple of photo negatives.

Nice game

I don't why people assume that those who did not like the game are immature or simply can't appreciate it. I can see the appeal, I personally thought the graphics and the face technology was great. However, I absolutely hated how boring the gameplay was. It followed the same formula over and over for each case. I stopped after I got past the prop studio case.

I enjoy mature games when the gameplay is fun and engaging (see heavy rain), I don't enjoy them when the game feels like more of a chore than anything. No amount of story could have saved L.A. Noire for me. I didn't find it particularly engaging either anyway, at least for the first half of the game. Story felt too generic and the main character was unrelateable in every possible way. It was overall a disappointing experience.

Before I am called a GTA fanboy. I personally have never found a GTA game that I enjoyed past the 3rd hour. I stopped playing GTA 4 after the first dating mission and never looked back. I mostly play games for the story and found it lacking in all the GTA games I have played, too generic ganster for me.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who didn't like L.A. Noire is immature, there are a lot of valid criticisms and it's certainly not a perfect game. I for one had major issues with the interrogation system, which was definitely my least favorite part of the game.

Having said that, a lot -- and I do mean a LOT -- of the complaints I've seen on the 'net have revolved around not being able to go on shooting sprees, etc. I mean, you're playing a cop for Christ's sake...

[quote name='Turbojugend']I didn't mean to imply that everyone who didn't like L.A. Noire is immature, there are a lot of valid criticisms and it's certainly not a perfect game. I for one had major issues with the interrogation system, which was definitely my least favorite part of the game.

Having said that, a lot -- and I do mean a LOT -- of the complaints I've seen on the 'net have revolved around not being able to go on shooting sprees, etc. I mean, you're playing a cop for Christ's sake...[/QUOTE]

I think those complaints are just a vocal minority. I find that most people I talk to focus more on the monotony of the cases and the frustration of the interrogation system (which I never had an issue with oddly enough) rather than the "I can't go GTA on everyone's asses" minority crowd.

i think most people know but for those who don't this game is slow paced/ not a lot of action, but still a great game.

your a cop trying to make detective. So youll be trying to solve crimes, and obviously just can't go around killing people.Your going to spend time combing the scene for clues the more clues you find the better for you obviously. You'll spend time locating and interrogating suspects/witnesses and use their reaction as they respond to your questions. You'll basically try to read them and use the clues you've gathered and their reactions to see if they are telling you the truth or lying.between this inspecting scenes and interrogations you'll get burst of action like a suspect surprising and attacking you-or caught lying trying to run away-a bank robbery in progress etc.

the reason i say this is because if you buy this game thinking its like gta-or just expect the game to be fast paced your not going to like it. If you like discovering and putting pieces together-taking your time trying to figure things out-great graphics-and voice acting-and some action/combat here and there than this game is for you.

my friend bought this game a few months back expecting it to be fast paced and didn't like it at all and he ended up trading it to me, which i really liked.

in my opinion $10-12 for this game is a steal.

I tried playing the last GTA, couldn't get into it. Didn't last long. Had to take the date bowling, quit a little after that. Tried just driving around and hijacking people, but it only kept my interest for 10-20minutes. A little surprising because I loved the first Driver, to me, they appear similar games except you couldn't get out of the car in Driver.
LA Noire, the theme seems interesting to me. Playing a cop that solves crimes, having to search crime scenes for evidence and question suspects. Some people probably won't find fun in doing that kind of stuff, but it sounds fun to me.

Funny, I had the same experience with GTA4. First couple missions, one date, then out. Couldn't get into it. Then again I bought Fallout 3 the same day soooo... to be honest maybe I didn't give GTA4 enough of a chance.

On topic, I keep missing sales for LA Noire. If I'm gonna get it without any DLC, it's gotta be $10 or less. Otherwise, why not just wait for the re-release, you know?

I also had the same experience with GTA IV. Got tired of doing missions for/with people I didn't care about and gave up fairly early in.

L.A. Noire on the other hand, I loved (for the most part).

That's funny. I had tried giving Fallout 3 a try after all the raving about that game. But after 30 minutes, when I got to the first town, I could NOT ever play that game again. It was soooooooo boring I couldn't force myself to continue with Fallout 3 again.

[quote name='JK-C']Funny, I had the same experience with GTA4. First couple missions, one date, then out. Couldn't get into it. Then again I bought Fallout 3 the same day soooo... to be honest maybe I didn't give GTA4 enough of a chance.

On topic, I keep missing sales for LA Noire. If I'm gonna get it without any DLC, it's gotta be $10 or less. Otherwise, why not just wait for the re-release, you know?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Investor']That's funny. I had tried giving Fallout 3 a try after all the raving about that game. But after 30 minutes, when I got to the first town, I could NOT ever play that game again. It was soooooooo boring I couldn't force myself to continue with Fallout 3 again.[/QUOTE]

fallout 3 and gta 4 are fantastic games so is la noire although it has zero replayability

Heh, Fallout 3 is one of my all-time favorite games, but I had the same initial reaction. I played for about half an hour and really wasn't feeling it. Gave it another chance about a week later and ended up spending a couple hundred hours with the game, getting all of the DLC, achievements, etc.

When I think of it that way, maybe I should go back and play GTA IV. :)

bread's done
Back