Labeled by GS

kell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
165 (100%)
I don't usually bash GS even though I dislike the Company and don't approve of some of its practices. But this recent event is just funny to me.

I ordered one Nyko Perfect Shot from gs.com yesterday after someone here posted that the site had them in stock. So I checked my order status after about an hour and it was canceled. I thought it might be in error and made another order with another credit card. That one was canceled as well.

After seeing how people here had their orders shipped and the item still showing in stock on the site I decided to call and see what was up.

I was expecting to hear that their system was incorrect and the item was no longer available. Instead, I get a customer service guy telling me that the "Verification Department" has evidence I am a reseller and that is why they canceled my order claiming they don't sell to resellers. The only thing they could verify was me ordering multiple Wii Sports back in October. But that's it. Did I resell them, yes I did.

To me, the hypocrisy of it is too funny.

GS is based on reselling they buy games from people dirt cheap than they triple the price and resell them. Call them back and tell them that you have evidence that they are resellers and that they should not support them selfs.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']GS is based on reselling they buy games from people dirt cheap than they triple the price and resell them. Call them back and tell them that you have evidence that they are resellers and that they should not support them selfs.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='Dragon_Master']GS is based on reselling they buy games from people dirt cheap than they triple the price and resell them. Call them back and tell them that you have evidence that they are resellers and that they should not support them selfs.[/quote]

Exactly. They don't want the competition.

I have had quite a few orders with them and only 1 will multiple same items. And now they won't sell me anything. I guess it's best not to give them my money anyway.

Contact the [SIZE=-1]Better Business Bureaus[/SIZE] and file a complaint. I did and within hours of the complaint I got a call from gamestop corporate and an apology.

I also got the games I ordered 3 of for FREE along with a 25$ gift card. They accused me of reselling as well as being rude to me.

Stupid thing is, I ordered 3 copies of Viewtiful Joe for me and a friend...The extra was hoping for an extra case and manual if at all.

I don't blame them for not wanting to support resellers, but I mean, come on. They have ONE order of yours where you ordered multiples of an item. That is their "proof" that you're a reseller. Whether or not you actually did resell them is beyond the point. It's not a crime to buy more than one of an item. I have done that plenty of times in different places. Guess I know now not to with GS, or else!!! *spooky music plays*

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Try Other E-mails?
Card?[/quote]

Yeah, I tried that. We'll see if it goes through...

[quote name='Persona7']Contact the [SIZE=-1]Better Business Bureaus[/SIZE] and file a complaint. I did and within hours of the complaint I got a call from gamestop corporate and an apology.
[/quote]

Hadn't thought about the BBB... I am surprsied that worked. I really don't care too much since I try not to give GS my money anyway. What did you say in your complaint, that they refused you a purchase?

I don't mind the policy either as I am not a big fan of hoarding. I do buy and resell, but I don't buy every one I can get my hands on - just enough to support my buying.

This is classic GameStop at it's best, I though I knew just about every trick GameStop had up it's sleeve. The big wigs at GameStop are probably in meetings right now trying to figure out a way to force customers to trade their games back to GameStop not allowing them to sell or get rid of them elsewhere.

I'm the same way about GameStop. They are a last resort for me for something I can't find elsewhere. I usually only buy $5 Gameboy, GBA games from GameStop. The only things I can recall buying from GameStop for over $10 the last year or two are Persona 3 & Makai Kingdom (used) & a Wii.

[quote name='Persona7']Contact the [SIZE=-1]Better Business Bureaus[/SIZE] and file a complaint. I did and within hours of the complaint I got a call from gamestop corporate and an apology.

I also got the games I ordered 3 of for FREE along with a 25$ gift card. They accused me of reselling as well as being rude to me.

Stupid thing is, I ordered 3 copies of Viewtiful Joe for me and a friend...The extra was hoping for an extra case and manual if at all.[/quote]

You were very lucky.

BBB doesn't do anything.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']You were very lucky.

BBB doesn't do anything.[/quote] Weird, I have used them twice successfully so far. Once with Gamestop and once with a phone company who charged my phone service without permission(they eventually said it was a mistake)

BBB doesn't do anything.[/QUOTE]

Youre right, they dont....BUT some companies take the BBB reports serious enough to deal with people.

I cant remember the site I bought from but they had several cd's I wanted at a great price.

I think I bought a total of 7 or 8.

Out of ALL of them, 1 ended up breaking in my drive while I was ripping to my computer.

First time used period.

I called and tried to discuss the return policy on defective items. Instead of doing that, their CS asked me if I knew how to use a cd player properly etc etc.

I got a bit offended and realized how it was gonna go so I just let em have it and said its not cool when Im trying to say its a possible defective product because Ive been a cd owner for 15yrs and have NEVER had one do this to me so its safe to say Im not a fucking idiot and know how to use one properly.

It didnt get better so I hung up.

Filed a report on BBB saying I didnt want a f'n thing in return and stated that if you call their CS to discuss a return policy, theyll treat you like an idiot.

Within a couple of days, the person that I had originally talked to called me back to "fix things". I got offered my money back, another CD of the one that broke, PLUS a free cd of my choice and I said no thanks. You cant take back the way you treated me and that free shit isnt gonna fix a thing and I hung up.

Havent ordered from Gamestop.com in a while. I wonder if they have a new system in place to check for multiple orders of the same item.
Those 12 Nocturnes i ordered probably won't help me out there.... ;)

BBB doesn't do anything.[/quote]

BBB got me the -$30 webcam from Amazon. :cool:

If they don't want resellers buying up their stock they should simply limit the number you can buy of any one item per credit card/shipping address/whatever to so many copies.

Or at least limit the number per order, but you could get around that by doing multiple orders. They wouldn't have to track every order against every CC/address with that system so it's a trade off.

[quote name='wubb']If they don't want resellers buying up their stock they should simply limit the number you can buy of any one item per credit card/shipping address/whatever to so many copies.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. CC has had a limit of 3 for years I believe.

Well using a different email address worked. Unfortunately, the item is now backordered. Why is this damn thing so hard to get? Oh yeah, the Wii is becoming the next Ipod...

If you think about it GS's ideal customer is a reseller- buy from GS and sell it back to them is exactly what they want you to do. Morons.

[quote name='Will']Within a couple of days, the person that I had originally talked to called me back to "fix things". I got offered my money back, another CD of the one that broke, PLUS a free cd of my choice and I said no thanks. You cant take back the way you treated me and that free shit isnt gonna fix a thing and I hung up.[/quote]

So you had a choice of "Having a bad experience but getting compensated afterwards" or "having a bad experience with no compensation" and you chose the latter?

The way it stood, it seemed that the damage was done already, and your choice was between free shit, or no free shit... To each his own, I would've taken the free shit and told them I wasn't ready to patronize their business again.

GameStop/EB Games cancelled a large majority of pre-orders for the wii & ps3 that people put on ebay for the same reason, they dont sell to resellers.

BREAKING NEWS PEOPLE!!!!

An business can refuse to do business with you for whatever reason they want. That doesn't make it right or fair... but it happens.

Just thought I'd pass this FYI to a number of you who have forgotten this.

I don't really see how anyone is denying that a company reserves the right to not do business with a particular customer. I think most of us simply voiced our disagreement with a policy.

Returning to topic, what exactly do you think this verification department of theirs does? I mean, this can't solely be based on someone buying multiples of an item once. That would be bad business for them, because I am sure plenty of people have bought multiples of an item off of them. They would be denying service to a lot of potential customers. They must look for something else, you would think.

My guess is that it is a system thing that flags accounts which order more than a designated amount of the same item. I assume it only has to be on order of multiples that gets you banned, since that is what happened to me. The "Verification Department" is probably a line they use for Customer Service purposes.

I actually agree with limiting the number of items sold to individuals and am fine with not selling to resellers. I just think it is funny when a company like Gamestop tries to operate with integrity.

Nice. I hope more companies start to do the same. If you are one of those people who end up buying like 10+ items when a sale hits (ie a slickdealer) just to ebay for a profit then its better business for GameStop to stop selling to you and focus on the people who actually buy the product to use themself.

Bravo, GameStop, May many more stores follow suit.

[quote name='magiic']GameStop/EB Games cancelled a large majority of pre-orders for the wii & ps3 that people put on ebay for the same reason, they dont sell to resellers.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I remember that. Didn't eBay make a new rule for those auctions that a picture of the receipt had to be posted and then EB/GS just went through and cancelled all the ones that showed a ref # or whatever on their receipt? :rofl:

What?! Gamestop actually doing something that's... good? Huzzah Gamestop!:applause:

[quote name='kell']
I actually agree with limiting the number of items sold to individuals and am fine with not selling to resellers. I just think it is funny when a company like Gamestop tries to operate with integrity.[/QUOTE]

You should be one to talk...

[quote name='Vinny']You should be one to talk...[/quote]

I don't take offense to much, but if you are questioning my integrity I do take offense.

It's funny how they don't want people buying their stock to sell on eBay, yet have no problem referring to eBay to see how they should price most of their products.

[quote name='musha666']Nice. I hope more companies start to do the same. If you are one of those people who end up buying like 10+ items when a sale hits (ie a slickdealer) just to ebay for a profit then its better business for GameStop to stop selling to you and focus on the people who actually buy the product to use themself.

Bravo, GameStop, May many more stores follow suit.[/quote]

Actually, I prefer FatWallet, where I'm also a member. Mind you, I only go on there to see if there's any deals I could shamelessly steal and post on here(like the $202.99 computer from Best Buy deal).

As for me, I have to laugh, since if that's their only way to stop people from 'hoarding' and trying to resell on Ebay, they're an even more sad company than I thought.

Oh and the BBB doesn't work for crap. My one friend(a then gf) tried doing one of those 'offer' site deals to get a Dell computer. It said she had to do FOUR offers to get the deal, so she did four offers. They then changed it to EIGHT offers without any explanation. She tried sending a complaint or nine to the BBB for the area the site was in and they brushed off the complaint as 'resolved' after 3 months.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh and the BBB doesn't work for crap. My one friend(a then gf) tried doing one of those 'offer' site deals to get a Dell computer. It said she had to do FOUR offers to get the deal, so she did four offers. They then changed it to EIGHT offers without any explanation. She tried sending a complaint or nine to the BBB for the area the site was in and they brushed off the complaint as 'resolved' after 3 months.[/quote]

I'd say the BBB only works for companies that care about customers. Those offer sites don't give a damn about their "customers".

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't really see how anyone is denying that a company reserves the right to not do business with a particular customer. I think most of us simply voiced our disagreement with a policy.[/QUOTE]

I certainly find the policy dumb. I won't argue there. But on the other hand I did want to remind you folks that a business can refuse to serve you for whatever reason it might be. That certainly sucks but that's also reality for you.

It's not just the website that does this. Wasn't there a thread a couple months ago where someone tried to buy 2 copies of a old Madden game and was denied while being accused of being a reseller?

This makes absolutely no sense. They don't want someone reselling it at a higher price so they call off the sale and lose money themselves? Genius business move. If they don't want resellers, raise the price where you can't resell it, but then face the wrath of the non reselling community.

You price the game at what you want to get for it. If someone wants to buy 10 of them, what the hell does it matter to gamestop. They are getting the exact amount they wanted for the item.

That is ridiculous.

[quote name='schuerm26']If they don't want resellers, raise the price where you can't resell it, but then face the wrath of the non reselling community.[/quote]
Too friggen late.

[quote name='schuerm26']You price the game at what you want to get for it. If someone wants to buy 10 of them, what the hell does it matter to gamestop. They are getting the exact amount they wanted for the item.

That is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

No, its unfair to other customers who might of wanted to buy one. And to a business what do you think makes better sense:

A) Selling all 10 to one person and nothing else.
B) Selling all 10 to 10 customers and perhaps getting other games, accessories, etc sold alongside it.

Which to you would make better sense as a business? Think about it.

[quote name='wubb']If they don't want resellers buying up their stock they should simply limit the number you can buy of any one item per credit card/shipping address/whatever to so many copies.

Or at least limit the number per order, but you could get around that by doing multiple orders. They wouldn't have to track every order against every CC/address with that system so it's a trade off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there is no reason they can't do that, especially because with the BF deals, they limited it 2 per customer and didn't allow you to add more than 2 to your cart. They could just do that on all items except stuff where you might buy more than 2 not to resell like controllers, memory cards, DS games that require multiple carts for multiplayer etc.

I also think if they are going to identify someone as a reseller, they should give the person a warning and before refusing to sell to them.

[quote name='Demolition Man']No, its unfair to other customers who might of wanted to buy one. And to a business what do you think makes better sense:

A) Selling all 10 to one person and nothing else.
B) Selling all 10 to 10 customers and perhaps getting other games, accessories, etc sold alongside it.

Which to you would make better sense as a business? Think about it.[/quote]

I run a business and it is sheer stupidity to turn down someone who wants to buy items.

Yes you might be able to sell 10 items to 10 different customers, but how long will that take? Your going to turn down guaranteed money, in hopes of someone coming along at a later date and buying it?

Limiting on sales, I understand that 100%. Limiting something like the Wii, I understand that also. Makes sense. Limiting an online purchase, where your scenario B doesn't even truly apply makes absolutely no sense at all.

The OP got shot down on a regular purchase because he bought multiple copies of regularly priced games. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

You don't turn down guaranteed money in hopes of future money.

I have to agree here. You don't turn down guaranteed money, especially on regularly priced, non-rare items. And, indeed, scenario B doesn't really exist online. I don't even think it much exists in-store, anymore, unless you're talking about places like Walmart or Target. I worked in a CompUSA for a short time, and it is damn near impossible to get people to buy anything except exactly what they walked into the store for.

Very rarely do I buy something else in a store then what I went in there for. Unless something is a rediculous price, or I'm freakin thirsty and need a drink.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's funny how they don't want people buying their stock to sell on eBay, yet have no problem referring to eBay to see how they should price most of their products.[/QUOTE]

I think your only half right as they only seem to follow eBay on what to raise the price of certain games too and not what to lower the price on others too :(

bread's done
Back