Lady Falls in Fountain - Suing for an Apology

[quote name='camoor']Here's an idea - maybe limit it to a multiple of the value of the original item. You know - a common sense rough guide. That way when someone walks in asking for 54 mil for a pair of pants, the judge can tell the guy to go get his head examined.

This isn't brain surgery.[/QUOTE]

How does limiting the amount you can sue for stop people from filing lawsuits? 60 million or 60 thousand, they still would have had to hire counsel to defend themselves.

[quote name='Sporadic']How does limiting the amount you can sue for stop people from filing lawsuits? 60 million or 60 thousand, they still would have had to hire counsel to defend themselves.[/QUOTE]

60K. For a pair of Hickey Freeman pants? When I said a multiple of the value I wasn't talking double digits - I was talking 4 or 5 times max (and that's pushing it).

As for RvB - sentimental value of clothing - well boo fucking hoo. I'm sorry but shit happens in life. Sometimes the cleaner fucks up your favorite pair of pants. If they're willing to pay for a new one, chalk it up as a win and call it a day. Have some judge throw the book at the head at anyone who just wants to gum up the works because they're butt-hurt. F this lawyer game BS.

[quote name='camoor']60K. For a pair of Hickey Freeman pants? When I said a multiple of the value I wasn't talking double digits - I was talking 4 or 5 times max (and that's pushing it).[/QUOTE]

And again, what does it really matter what he asks for? It's up to the judge and/or jury to decide what he gets. Limiting what he can ask for literally does nothing to help out the person getting sued, it only hurts the person suing (and I know it is crazy but there are actual lawsuits that have merit)

[quote name='Sporadic']And again, what does it really matter what he asks for? It's up to the judge and/or jury to decide what he gets. Limiting what he can ask for literally does nothing to help out the person getting sued, it only hurts the person suing (and I know it is crazy but there are actual lawsuits that have merit)[/QUOTE]

The very least legislators can do is give judges clear autority on when a case can get thrown out. If someone walks in asking for 80K for a lost Macy's sweater, tell that loony-tunes psycho to get the fuck out of the court room and stop wasting everyone's time.

[quote name='camoor']The very least legislators can do is give judges clear autority on when a case can get thrown out. If someone walks in asking for 80K for a lost Macy's sweater, tell that loony-tunes psycho to get the fuck out of the court room and stop wasting everyone's time.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is no suing for clothing? Or are you saying that if you initially ask for too much in damages your case is thrown out without even examining the merits of it?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So what you're saying is no suing for clothing? Or are you saying that if you initially ask for too much in damages your case is thrown out without even examining the merits of it?[/QUOTE]

I think that's a great idea.

But not too much. Way too much. Anything over a multiple of 5 or 10, say.

The law should have a relationship with common sense and reason. In the real world, nice suit pants do not cost over 50 million. I'm trying to figure out the miscommunication here - are these concepts too much for you to grasp?

bread's done
Back