Lain Box Set $24.99 (Not Signature Series) Rightstuf.com

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yaeh, I'm getting it. What comes in this boxset compared to the Signature series?[/QUOTE]

Nothing, this one is just better looking.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yaeh, I'm getting it. What comes in this boxset compared to the Signature series?[/quote] What weapon said.

This box comes with the original DVDs without the Signature series banner, in a flimsy box and a translucent slipcover. The difference is absolutely just the packaging. The 4 discs are the same.

I ~love~ you people! My wallet however is sobbing uncontrollably.. this month has been a tough one on it...

I've been wanting Lain for ages. Happy now. Also, RightStuf has the Tenchi Universe Boxset for $49.98 in the Weekly Specials also for anyone else that is interested.

(Anime on DVD's link) http://www.rightstuf.com/aod/pd11605

I went ahead and bought the Lain set and the Gungrave set. Was a tough choice between Gungrave and Tenchi Universe but I decided for a blind buy with Gungrave. I've been meaning to finish Lain for years now so it's about time I pick it up on DVD.

So I've never watched this one...not at all

The box set is relatively cheap

I'm into Evangelion, Miyazaki films, Fullmetal Alchemist

I'm a "Xenosaga" freak

My favorite anime -is- Sailormoon

And I happen to think "A Little Princess" is one of the best, if not the best, story ever

Would I enjoy Lain? Or would it be too pretentious? Or maybe below me? Or above me? Or overbearing? Or just too boring? Or what?

I would like it if someone posted an unpartial, legitimate opinion towards it.

[quote name='sarausagi']So I've never watched this one...not at all

The box set is relatively cheap

I'm into Evangelion, Miyazaki films, Fullmetal Alchemist

I'm a "Xenosaga" freak

My favorite anime -is- Sailormoon

And I happen to think "A Little Princess" is one of the best, if not the best, story ever

Would I enjoy Lain? Or would it be too pretentious? Or maybe below me? Or above me? Or overbearing? Or just too boring? Or what?

I would like it if someone posted an unpartial, legitimate opinion towards it.[/QUOTE]

You would be snoring quite possibly 15 minutes in. Very pretentious series assuming the viewer is going to sit through all the episodes in order to get it, I just found it utterly boring in the meantime and had to struggle to stay awake. Though I am curious, you've seen Eva and Full Metal Alchemist and yet Sailor Moon is still your fav?

[quote name='sarausagi']I'm into Evangelion[/QUOTE]

Get RahXephon. Which is eva done right. I'm serious.

Quick, the DDD 20% off sale is almost over.

[quote name='coolsteel']You would be snoring quite possibly 15 minutes in. Very pretentious series assuming the viewer is going to sit through all the episodes in order to get it, I just found it utterly boring in the meantime and had to struggle to stay awake. Though I am curious, you've seen Eva and Full Metal Alchemist and yet Sailor Moon is still your fav?[/QUOTE]

she's a Xenosaga fan though...so she has been through worse :lol: (also, don't all series assume that the watcher is going to sit through and watch the whole thing to get the whole story? )

You'll probably like Lain sarausagi, it's interesting, cerebral stuff. Very out there, but more comprehensible than Xenosaga, imo.

I just sold my set for $40, but I'm tempted to pick this up again at $25, that's a steal!

edit: $4.00 priority FTW! This is probably the last place to have the non-Signature Series version and at this price, you might as well get it if you're considering getting into Lain.

[quote name='coolsteel']You would be snoring quite possibly 15 minutes in. Very pretentious series assuming the viewer is going to sit through all the episodes in order to get it, I just found it utterly boring in the meantime and had to struggle to stay awake. Though I am curious, you've seen Eva and Full Metal Alchemist and yet Sailor Moon is still your fav?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Sailor Moon is still my favorite. I honestly think the production values, the subtleties written into the story and characters, the myth and legends behind the series, the complexity of the character's emotion, and the way the viewer can become in love with the characters haven't been equaled by any like wise series. It -ruined- "shojo" for me and just doesnt' let me take any other love story seriously.

However, whenever I watch Fullmetal or Evangelion the rating changes, sometimes I can't decide. I honestly think they're up their together, quite possibly the greatest anime of all time, and if anything, the series that have more meaning and emotion than any others.

I think I might just get Lain because it's cheap, but I asked a friend who has seen it and she thinks it's just trying too hard to be EVA and not succeeding at all.

[quote name='eldad9']Get RahXephon. Which is eva done right. I'm serious.

Quick, the DDD 20% off sale is almost over.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me a link to it? This is one of the items I'm going to get tonight but don't know what exactly to order

[quote name='Apossum']she's a Xenosaga fan though...so she has been through worse :lol: (also, don't all series assume that the watcher is going to sit through and watch the whole thing to get the whole story? )

[/QUOTE]

Err yeah pretty much, but in a lot of other series they throw you a bone or two about the larger story a lot earlier then Lain does, by the time a few hints were thrown out I completely didn't care

[quote name='sarausagi']

I would like it if someone posted an unpartial, legitimate opinion towards it.[/quote]

There's no such thing :)

I enjoyed Lain, but it was very slow, sometimes tedious. Lots of shots of telephone wires, Lain walking, Lain in her room, Lain doing nothing.

I liked the ideas of the series and the plot, but I think it could have been edited down to half its length without losing anything except time.

I considered buying it through this sale -- I did like it after all -- but I decided against it. I honestly don't think I'd be able to watch it again.

And, for a point of reference, my favorites : Utena, Kino's Journey, Azumanga Daioh, all things Miyazaki.

Signature Series is a Geneon thing, I think. That's Bandai, I'm not sure but if anything that set might say Anime Legends at the top or something. (It's a Bandai thing, lol)

[quote name='SinnerChrno']Signature Series is a Geneon thing, I think. That's Bandai, I'm not sure but if anything that set might say Anime Legends at the top or something. (It's a Bandai thing, lol)[/quote]

Anime Legends, Signature Series, that other one from ADV, they're all the same to me at some point. Just a different name for the same thing. But yaeh, that's what I meant. I'm not sure from the picture whether it is or not.

[quote name='Koggit']I remember when I paid $120 at Suncoast. 5 years ago, I believe. '01? Ahh.. money well wasted.[/QUOTE]

me too.

.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get thru the first episode of Rahx...

[/QUOTE]

Wait.... someone took EVA and did it right? How can you take a show and copy it and then claim you did it correctly and the original was wrong? RahXephon can kiss my ass.

Finally hankered down and got this and Gungrave. Hopefully Rightstuf will put Boogiepop Phantom on sale again and Trigun Complete Collection (but in a few months of course, my wallet is practically dead.).

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Finally hankered down and got this and Gungrave. Hopefully Rightstuf will put Boogiepop Phantom on sale again and Trigun Complete Collection (but in a few months of course, my wallet is practically dead.).[/quote]
I took the dive on this and Gungrave as well. I love Lain, and it's about time that I own a DVD copy of it. I grabbed the Boogiepop Ultra set about a year or so ago when it was on sale for cheap. It's a very nice set and worth picking up if it gets discounted again.

Aaron

My Lain set has been shipped. My CC bills are piling up thanks to this type of unplanned sale and the CC's PS2 game clearance.

My order shipped today. I got the email this morning.. Now I just have to wait and see how fast this free shipping option is.

eau I am right there with you when it comes to CC bills piling up due to so many sales back to back to back.. We aren't alone in this. hehe.

Heh, good price, I would buy it again if I didn't think it sucked ass. I traded my Boogiepop Limited Set for the Genon box set of this over a year ago. While I didn't really care for Boogiepop, I regret trading it because this series is even worse...

bread's done
Back