Land of the fee, home of the slave

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7246845/green-bay-packers-johnny-jolly-sentenced-6-years-prison

HOUSTON -- Suspended Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly was sentenced to six years in prison Thursday for violating the terms of his probation for a drug conviction.

State District Judge Denise Bradley imposed the sentence despite tearful pleas from Jolly and his mother, Phyllis Jolly, to allow the 6-foot-3, 325-pound lineman to be treated for his addiction to codeine instead of going to prison. Jolly's aunt, agent and drug counselor also testified on his behalf.

Donte Stallworth gets 30 days for running a dude over in a car, Ray Lewis walks after killing someone, and Jolly gets six years for a fucking drug.

The American legal system: Where you're punished more for harming yourself than you are for harming others. Glorious Scar Spangled Banner, indeed.

From the link:

The arrest put Jolly in jeopardy of receiving prison time because in April he had pleaded guilty to a codeine possession charge in a deal that wiped out an earlier charge and spared him from prison unless he stumbled again.

As much as I dislike the Packers, that really sucks. Sure he had prior arrests for similar incidents but 6 years seems excessive especially if he was only hurting himself. Pretty much shot his NFL career if he serves the full term. Least he's eligible for parole in 14 months.

Jesus the guy is only 28, that seems like a harsh sentence for such a young person who crime is being an non dangerous addict. Must have had a shit lawyer seems like he could have easily got off with a lighter sentence.

I mean, you are right, million of more dangerous criminals get away with far greater acts of violence every day.

I also understand that he was given about 4 chances so far and failed them all but it seems strange to draw the line here when so many others get off scott free in comparison.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Jesus the guy is only 28, that seems like a harsh sentence for such a young person who crime is being an non dangerous addict. Must have had a shit lawyer seems like he could have easily got off with a lighter sentence.

I mean, you are right, million of more dangerous criminals get away with far greater acts of violence every day.

I also understand that he was given about 4 chances so far and failed them all but it seems strange to draw the line here when so many others get off scott free in comparison.[/QUOTE]
You mean like Lindsey Lohan?

I'll give you three guesses as to why they're throwing the book at this guy...

You know I am actually unsure because he is a famous rich athlete...the only thing going against him is that he is black.

[quote name='dohdough']You mean like Lindsey Lohan?

I'll give you three guesses as to why they're throwing the book at this guy...[/QUOTE]

Yes only black drug users get full sentences. :roll:

[quote name='Soodmeg']You know I am actually unsure because he is a famous rich athlete...the only thing going against him is that he is black.[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty big factor in the justice system.

[quote name='GBAstar']Yes only black drug users get full sentences. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Hey asshole, no one's implying that. But it's a fact that black people get harsher and longer sentences than whites for similar crimes.

[quote name='dohdough']That's a pretty big factor in the justice system.

Hey asshole, no one's implying that. But it's a fact that black people get harsher and longer sentences than whites for similar crimes.[/QUOTE]

No? So being wealthy and an athlete (the other two obvious guesses) must be the reason you are implying that he got such a heavy sentence?

You know if the gentleman in the story didn't break the law we wouldn't be hear moaning about how long and unfair his sentence is. Do I think it's unfair? Absolutely. But I know one thing is for sure, if he wasn't using drugs then he wouldn't be in this particular situation. You can't argue with that.

[quote name='GBAstar']You know if the gentleman in the story didn't break the law we wouldn't be hear moaning about how long and unfair his sentence is.[/QUOTE]

Related: If he wasn't a basketball player, we wouldn't be hearing moaning about how long and unfair his sentence is. Because then, no one would care.

[quote name='GBAstar']No? So being wealthy and an athlete (the other two obvious guesses) must be the reason you are implying that he got such a heavy sentence?

You know if the gentleman in the story didn't break the law we wouldn't be hear moaning about how long and unfair his sentence is. Do I think it's unfair? Absolutely. But I know one thing is for sure, if he wasn't using drugs then he wouldn't be in this particular situation. You can't argue with that.[/QUOTE]
First, you try to strawman me by saying that I'm implying that only black drug users get the max penalty and then you try twist that into being the same thing as me saying that black people are punished worse? Go troll somewhere else.

I don't give a flying fuck if he broke the law for "illegally" using(more like without a prescription) legal drugs because he should be in treatment for it instead of being imprisoned for a potential 6 years. I don't care if it's crack, coke, heroin, meth, or oxy. Hell, the reason why he was initially pulled over for the first offence was probably due to racial profiling.

It's our responsibility as a society to try make him better by getting him off drugs; not to make him worse by putting him in prison.

[quote name='dohdough']First, you try to strawman me by saying that I'm implying that only black drug users get the max penalty and then you try twist that into being the same thing as me saying that black people are punished worse? Go troll somewhere else.

I don't give a flying fuck if he broke the law for "illegally" using(more like without a prescription) legal drugs because he should be in treatment for it instead of being imprisoned for a potential 6 years. I don't care if it's crack, coke, heroin, meth, or oxy. Hell, the reason why he was initially pulled over for the first offence was probably due to racial profiling.

It's our responsibility as a society to try make him better by getting him off drugs; not to make him worse by putting him in prison.[/QUOTE]

How did I misrepresent your point of view? You said you'd give three guesses as to why he got the maximum sentence. If you weren't implying it was because he was black then what what are your thoughts?

I also didn't twist your words into saying black people were punished worse you said they were... you claimed it was a fact.

How did I twist anything you said?

Yes this man needs help not jail time. He needs treatment not leniency. That was the mistake made in the earlier instance when they dismissed the charges on the grounds that he not get in anymore trouble. They should have made it madatory for him to seek help then.

While I think the jailtime is excessive, won't he break his addiction while being locked away for 6 years. Seems like he'll be getting over the drug issue either way.

[quote name='pjb16']While I think the jailtime is excessive, won't he break his addiction while being locked away for 6 years.[/QUOTE]

if you think he won't have access to drugs (legal or otherwise), he will.

Yeah.

It's confusing. Ray Lewis is rich and black, and should have gone away for at least a year. Michael Vick? Should never have been let back, IMO.

This guy? Just an addict. And yeah, he has had 4 chances which is MORE than fair, but does he deserve 6 years of jail time?

I think it's more of the judge likely being forced to use sentencing rules for drug offences as well as honoring the terms of previous plea agreemnts being used as the basis for his sentancing rather than a desire to "get the black guy" .

What the guy really needs is one year removed away from society in some sort of maximum security detox center.

Codeine is weak sauce... it's only a schedule III drug; people tell me it does not usually help their pain; it's mainly used in cough syrup, e.g., Robitussin AC or phenergan with codeine... people make purple drank from it...

Unless you mix it with other drugs/EtOH or drink large amounts of its mixture with phenergan... it is a rather harmless medication.

Our drug laws are illogical and draconian. We shift the focus to demonize certain substance, rather than analyzing the deeper issues at play in the development of addiction... if I were in charge, this kind of BS would be outlawed and the vast majority of substances would be either legalized or decriminalized. Unfortunately, our current system is still driven by the temperance movement, AA, and the like; all of which have been shown to be no more effective than any other interventions.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7246845/green-bay-packers-johnny-jolly-sentenced-6-years-prison

Donte Stallworth gets 30 days for running a dude over in a car, Ray Lewis walks after killing someone, and Jolly gets six years for a. fucking drug.

The American legal system: Where you're punished more for harming yourself than you are for harming others. Glorious Scar Spangled Banner, indeed.[/QUOTE]

Different states & different judges. I agree Dante Stallworth should be in prison but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Should have said Scar Mangled Banner to get that much more contempt into the notion...

While Lindsay Lohan may walk in and out of prisons, I think this last offense of hers is actually going to get her some time. On the other hand, you only know of her walking in and out because of her celebrity status. LOTS of people walk in and out of jail/prison in LA County because of space concerns.

I hope my free sub from the mousin thread holds out long enough to get that one... I think I've got one or two more coming my way.

[quote name='BigT']Codeine is weak sauce... it's only a schedule III drug; people tell me it does not usually help their pain; it's mainly used in cough syrup, e.g., Robitussin AC or phenergan with codeine... people make purple drank from it...

Unless you mix it with other drugs/EtOH or drink large amounts of its mixture with phenergan... it is a rather harmless medication.

Our drug laws are illogical and draconian. We shift the focus to demonize certain substance, rather than analyzing the deeper issues at play in the development of addiction... if I were in charge, this kind of BS would be outlawed and the vast majority of substances would be either legalized or decriminalized. Unfortunately, our current system is still driven by the temperance movement, AA, and the like; all of which have been shown to be no more effective than any other interventions.[/QUOTE]

I don't really disagree with you; these are certainly contributing factors to our current environment. I'd just like to augment your argument a little. Local, state, and federal police have been pushing for enforcement powers for quite some time, and I think this is a more integral cog in the machine.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's the second time I've agreed with you this month, and even strongly agree with you in this circumstance.[/QUOTE]

Scary thought :D

But seriously, there is very little logic in the way that we view and handle "drugs of abuse." After being brainwashed about the topic for years through D.A.R.E. and the like as a child, I was highly surprised when I looked at the evidence and gained experience dealing with this...

From a medical standpoint, I see vastly more problems as a result of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (e.g., motrin, aleve, advil, etc)... mainly GI bleeding and acute and chronic renal failure, then I have seen with marijuana.

In fact, I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone in clinic or admitted to a hospital for complications due to marijuana (it even poses almost a negliglible threat of lung cancer when compared to tobacco). Synthetic MJ wannabes like K2 or spice... yes. Cocaine... yes. Amphetamines... yes (those cases tend to be sad). Opiates... yes people do OD and need some narcan from time to time for respiratory depression. Of course, IV users tend to pick up weird and nasty infections... But, by far, the scariest and most tenuous cases that I've seen related to drug abuse are alcohol withdrawal... we get people from the prisons quite often who get transferred over after they are not allowed to drink once incarcerated... the prison doc gives them a ridiculously tiny dose of librium and within a couple days they are totally out of it and tachycardic to the 140s. Those can be some scary ICU level admissions (I've lost countless hours of sleep dealing with these)...

Also, where in the constitution does it say that we can outlaw certain substances???... they had to pass the Volstead Act to outlaw EtOH, but other drugs simply get outlawed because somebody says so??? I never understood that!

[quote name='BigT']Also, where in the constitution does it say that we can outlaw certain substances???... [/QUOTE]

Commerce clause, as always.

See, e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

[quote name='BigT']they had to pass the Volstead Act to outlaw EtOH, but other drugs simply get outlawed because somebody says so??? I never understood that![/QUOTE]

It's the Controlled Substances Act that says so, but pretty much, yeah.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=1&vote=00218

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/SenateSession4951

Start at 4:43:00 to hear Carl Levin explain that initially, the bill as written in the Armed Services Committee contained language that protected American citizens from indefinite detention without charges or trial at the President's discretion.

The White House requested they remove that language from the bill.

The Military Commissions Act of 2006 gave the authority to the Executive to indefinitely detain anyone, even after a not guilty verdict, as long as they are deemed an enemy combatant.

Now they don't even need to do that.

Obama is threatening a veto because an Amendment was added that prevents detention of American citizens after a not guilty verdict.

I don't even.

Bush III

Something tells me that the POW in Chief may have been able to make enough of a stink about this given the opportunity. Then again god only knows what else he would have fucked up so I guess we're even.

bread's done
Back