Laptop Died for the Second Time, Suggestions?

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I own a Compaq Presario CQ50-110US.
I've had it since... november/december ish of 2008.
It is still under waranty until December 2009.

1)Okay so the first time my keyboard buttons got stuck and then the computer wouldnt wake up from standby after i closed it, it would just lock up.

I sent it in and got it back. everything fixed.

2) second time i was using it...then it just shut off on me and i got no video. I was told my Video card died. I checked the papers from Compaq and it says they replaced my CPU+ Video Card

3) about.... 1 month later( i sent it in mid april 2nd time) i was using it yesterday. Turned it off no problems. Tried turning it on today. No boot, no video, no nothing. It powers on, but i have a feeling the CPU or Mobo is dead.

has this happened to anyone? Im going to attempt to get another laptop from them because this is ridiculous. Ive read that Compaq's overheat, but i only use my laptop for about 2-4 hrs at a time and turn it off. I have it elevated using two packs of gum.. haha.:bomb:

Well first off its a Compaq....you would have been better off going with a Dell/Acer/Asus/Cyberpowerpc

It could be the motherboard, it also could be the ram. Corrupt ram will make pcs do all sorts of stuff. Try removing a stick of ram and booting it.

Why should he resort to such brutal methods? All he needs is an Ubuntu LiveCD. They come with Memtest86+, which is a way better way of going about things.
But that's assuming that it's the RAM, and it really doesn't sound like it is at all.

Send it in again OP, and next time you get a laptop, get something rock solid like a Lenovo Thinkpad.

If it's not the RAM, then there's nothing you really can/should do to the laptop if it is still under warranty.

Unfortunately, sometimes you just get a lemon.

I would start demanding a total replacement laptop.

I'd start being a real pain in the side of Compaq support. If you bug them enough, they might just replace the laptop to make you go away. Document all of your dealings with them (when/who you talk to etc). Always escalate each call to as high a manager as you can get. Write to Compaq management. Advise them that you will contact BBB and other consumer advocates if you don't get your problem resolved.

Yeah, I've had a lot of issues with my Laptop as well. Just got mine back after needing the motherboard replaced, and now it freezes at least once a day, so gonna have to send it back in unless I can find another solution. The freezing doesn't seem to have any kind of reason either, as it can freeze almost right after windows loads, or a few hours in after doing things.

[quote name='kube00']Well first off its a Compaq....you would have been better off going with a Dell/Acer/Asus/Cyberpowerpc

It could be the motherboard, it also could be the ram. Corrupt ram will make pcs do all sorts of stuff. Try removing a stick of ram and booting it.[/QUOTE]
haha i didnt know that compaq was a "bad brand" i had one before this one and it ran fine for 2.5 years and i sold it to "upgrade" to this one.

im guessing its the MOBO.

I think you should throw that laptop off the cliff. Wait, it is still under warranty so you could send it back for a replacement.

[quote name='hero101']I think you should throw that laptop off the cliff. Wait, it is still under warranty so you could send it back for a replacement.[/QUOTE]

yeah... LOL

my friends friend threw his laptop in the pool a week before his warranty expired. bestbuy completely replaced it.. donno how but they did LOL

no more support for Compaq presario gee what a surprise.this notebook isnt even 1 year old.

called in... tech support guy was like "ill escalate this case and my manager will call u"

well see where this goes.

im a poor college student cant afford a new laptop. i dont want a dam fix i want a brand new laptop or a new one thats similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least with Dell's tech support if you gripe enough they'll take care of what you want.

The reason I suggested Acer/ASUS is that their laptops have never given me trouble

California based Cyberpowerpc or Ibuypower.com both have great tech support with their machines

got a phone call from STEPHANIE a CASE MANAGER from HP.

COMPAQ has DISCONTINUED their helpline for PRESARIOS( mine is a presario cq-50)

I asked for a replacement because my laptop failed after only two weeks of a processor and video card replacement. She tells me

"You have only had your laptop for 7 months now, given the history of your laptop and only sending it in twice for repairs, I cannot grant you the privilege of a replacement laptop. Your laptop is still under warranty for 6 more months and can continued to be repaired"

I told her "What's to say it won't fail on me again within another two weeks of repair? So I'll be eligible after my laptop fails completely one more time? ( sarcasm) Or what about after my warranty goes out, will I get a replacement then? It's already had to be sent in twice and this will be the third time, I dont understand how that doesnt qualify for a replacement laptop because I am pretty sure it'll fail on me again."

She then goes back to the whole I cant grant it to you, you're still under warranty.
I got pretty mad, but I didn't cuss her out just raised my volume a bit.

She then has the gulls to ask me if I just want to send it in for repair again. It was pretty awkward because we had just been yelling at one another. LOL.
I was like.. wow u bitch(in my head). Proceeded to send it in.

Such a huge inconvenience and bullshit excuses on their part.
I mean if the BRAND NEW Processor + Video Card fails after only two weeks of normal use, I have no faith in the laptop lasting beyond my warranty. I told her I am sure the motherboard failed or the processor and everything failed.

fuck COMPAQ SUPPORT or HP whatever.

Will update the final outcome, I hope i don't have to post in here AGAIN which will mean my laptop failed AGAIN.

I had one Compaq computer and it died. I totally don't trust any Compaq computers. I don't trust Acer laptops either. I had one that last for like 3 years.

[quote name='Furashu']got a phone call from STEPHANIE a CASE MANAGER from HP.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry that you're getting the run around. Did you ask to speak to HER boss? If she won't/can't let you talk to her, at least try to get his/her name and regular mail address so that you can start sending letters. You want to figure out everyone in the chain of command if you can...all the way up to Mark Hurd, CEO of HP.

Start dropping names of agencies like BBB and State's Attorney General.

If worse comes to worse, you can always sue them in small claims court, but you probably can't do that until your warranty runs out unless your state has some kind of lemon law regarding electronics (worth checking out).

See if there is a free legal aid service available in your school(?) or community. Sometimes a letter from a lawyer will get some results. Maybe the BBB can tell you what your rights are at this point.

As always...keep documenting ALL of your interactions in your quest to get this resolved.

im sending it in today.
im just mad that it freaking BROKE after 2 weeks and a new process and vid card.
i dont even play games on this laptop. just chat and web surfing.

bread's done
Back