laptop for college

What's your budget? You a big gamer? What size of notebook do you want (14", 15.4", 17", 19")? You looking for a Desktop Replacement or something with plenty of battery life?

You need to give as many answers as you can for what you're looking for in order to be helped. Other than that, Dell always has coupons for their laptops, so just Google "Dell Coupons" or go to the Notebookreview.com site that was posted above for deals on the forum.

15"-diagonal XGA (1024 x 768 ) TFT LCD screen
Intel Centrino mobile technology
Intel Pentium M processor 740 operating at 1.73GHz
2MB L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
512MB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, upgradable to 2GB
80GB 5400-rpm hard drive
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive, to play DVDs and burn and play CDs
Intel Pro/Wireless 2915ABG (802.11a/b/g) wireless LAN
10/100Base-T Ethernet port
56K V.90 modem
4 USB 2.0 ports
1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port
1 S-video port
3-in-1 memory card reader (compatible with Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick)
PC Card slot, compatible with Type I/II cards, 32-bit CardBus, 16-bit PC Card 2.1
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with 128MB shared memory
Integrated Realtek ALC250 audio with built-in stereo speakers and microphone
Headphone, line-in, line-out and external microphone jacks
8-cell lithium ion battery, for an average battery life of 5 hours
Dimensions: 1 7/16"H x 13 1/10"W x 10 9/10"D
Weight: 6.2 lbs

$390 After rebate Free shipping

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=997533&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ne=1&Ntt=lenovo&N=131218&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ns=p_Price_2|0&Nr=100000&Ntk=all&An=text
Use this, too: http://www.officedepot.com/promo.do...&cm_re=Kefta-_-Homepage-_-HotelGiftCard052007

$30 off $150 expires 6/30/07 - 74796119

Once again, what's your budget and what are you looking to get out of a laptop? I'm employed by Dell to sell their laptops. Maybe I can help, but I need to know what you're into and how much money you're willing to put down. :)

cp_top_bts_070611.jpg

FTW.

Apple is probably your best bet if your college offers an Apple student discount. With a University + college discount, I received $600 off my MacBook Pro. You also get a free mail-in-rebate on an iPod Nano, free HP printer, and $50 off Microsoft Office. You can also run Windows for games, but you will probably fall in love with Mac OSX.

all i want to a basic laptop
lots of ram
lots of memory
lots of USB ports
Wireless card
and the only thing special red white and yellow (audio video inputs) wires for my wii
and Vista too
screen size does not really matter or weight as long as its not really heavy or really small
and thats about it

I'd recommend against notebookreview.com, i got ripped off and lost $1300. But I'm with whosmadoodle on the whole mac thing. Don't even bother with windows, you can get an ibook G4 for around $550 these days if your budget won't allow a macbook, but they're basically the best thing around. Check out Crossover Mac if you have certain windows programs you need (I got it for Steam)

[quote name='atf0016']I'd recommend against notebookreview.com, i got ripped off and lost $1300. But I'm with whosmadoodle on the whole mac thing. Don't even bother with windows, you can get an ibook G4 for around $550 these days if your budget won't allow a macbook, but they're basically the best thing around. Check out Crossover Mac if you have certain windows programs you need (I got it for Steam)[/QUOTE]
What are you talking about? Don't buy stuff from the forums. Just use the deal sub-forum to look for deals.

@ katzsd2007 -- What's your budget? That's what I need to know. And are you a gamer?

Because I can recommend a Sony Vaio, an HP9000t, an ASUS G1S, and Compal IFL90 just off of what you said. Not sure if they have the inputs you mentioned, though. Hardly any laptops carry that. You can always spend the -/+ $50 to buy a box that handles those inputs, though.

i say, depending on your major.

i.e. engr or sci, you might need to have a unit that will support heavy processing power and all. like those engineering programs that require tons of cpu and memory. or else they'll get sluggish.

or if you just need it for let's say for basic stuff like office stuff, then an average laptop would do.

i think you need to listen to karuto on this one. he knows his stuff. :D

less then like $2500 would be perfered and im not a gamer besides like warcraft 2 and 3 whihc i know would work fine on new computers and i planned to buy a box anyways i figured
but around $1500 would be ideal

I'm gonna take a second a plug Apple. For what it's worth I switched about a year ago when I got my laptop for college and I couldn't be happier with my mac. The transition was easier than I ever thought possible and I plan on sticking with macintosh for my future computing needs.

My advice? Get a Macbook or if you have the financial means a Macbook Pro.

I'd definitely recommend the MacBook Pro like so many others have been doing, katzd2007. The new Mac OSX Leopard looks AMAZING! For example, the new Time Machine feature lets you go back into the history of your computer to find files before they were deleted and restore them to your present folder. You'd have to pay $40+ to find a program that does that on Windows, and even then it doesn't always work!

Plus, if you want, you can always install Windows XP or Windows Vista in the future and be able to use all the applications/games/etc. that go along with it. Due to the new processor, it actually goes pretty fast. Plus, the MBP has a battery life of 3-4 hours due to the Santa Rosa processor.

Pick it up. You won't regret it. ;)

im still gonna stick with vista though but i really do appricate al your guys help
another reason why cheapassgamer i smy #1 site

I'm gonna have to go with Karuto on this one... I'd also recommend a MacBook/Pro because Leopard looks good, and, like Karuto also mentioned, the new Santa Rosa processors.

Always remember you can easily dualboot Vista/XP and OS X, so don't let that hinder your decision. ;)

Don't get a mac, if you want to play any of the new games coming out. Also some not all pc laptops have compenents that can be upgraded.

I have an Acer sure it gets hot and sure it battery life blows but it beats the shit out of most laptops in its price range.

Also don't get a Gateway, too many faulty parts, both my roommates had them and they crapped out

Oh boy here we go with a bunch of mac lovers.....

Anyways it depends what you want to do with your laptop. Macs are pretty pricey but they are less of a hassle. But if you are a gamer like me, I choose an Acer.

Also give us an idea of your budget.

He did say his budget. It's $2500, and he doesn't play games much (just Warcraft 2 and 3 sometimes). That's why I recommended the Macbook. ;)

Mind you, I'm being the Asus C80, so I'm not so much a fan that I'd be willing to dish out the extra cash, but he has a bigger budget than me, so that's obviously different.

My suggestion for a school notebook is to get a tablet. Not to push too much against the cultists on the board here, but they are very versitile and great for taking notes and such on top of regular computer work. Gateways got the best pricing, and you can easily get one that will be more than powerful enough for what you need for $1300. I have one and use it for school all the time.

[quote name='kube00']Oh boy here we go with a bunch of mac lovers.....

Anyways it depends what you want to do with your laptop. Macs are pretty pricey but they are less of a hassle. But if you are a gamer like me, I choose an Acer.

Also give us an idea of your budget.[/quote]

I'm not a mac lover. I don't own a single one.

That said, the entry level macbook is a hell of a bargain right now with the free ipod and color printer deal.

You get a core 2 duo @ 2.0 ghz, 1gig ram, 80 gig hard drive, cdrw/dvd read, wifi, bluetooth, dvi-out as a $17 option, iSight (...yeah, I know and agree) all for $999+tax shipped free PLUS they're giving you a 4gb nano AND a canon pixma printer for free after rebate (I do have a pixma and love it).

The only downside is the 13.3" screen only comes in SXGA with the relatively weak video card. A potential upside is that you can legally run OSX. If you price out the hardware, the macbook actually a good hardware value. When did you ever think you'd be saying that about an apple product??

thanks but i really do perfer vista i know its nto hard to switch over and im not a windows whore and i have tired mac just dont like it since i grew up with windows it is justa nature vs nature kinda thing

Vista is crap. Me and two college buddies bought laptops at the same time, around january i'd say. i bought a mac, and both of them bought vista based machines. both of them tried vista for a month and uninstalled it because it was so terrible. OS X for the win, you can teach old dogs new tricks despite what people say :D

I'm loving my new MacBook Pro that i just got for college. It was upgraded a few weeks ago with new processors, graphics more ram, and an LED backlit display for more battery life. It's incredibly fast, boots in less than 20 seconds, and I know it'll last me through out college. I installed boot camp and it actually runs modern games very well with it's new graphics card and 2 gigs of ram.

Best part is the price though: compard to other windows laptops, it's an incredible bargin for people going to college. The 1999.00 price tag is instantly (no rebate) reduced to 1799.00, plus right now you get a free ipod nano, which I sold on ebay for 190$, so with 150 in tax, I got this laptop for 1750!

Try getting a dell with a 2.2 gig Core 2 duo, Nvidia 8600, 2 gigs of ram, and an LED display for that price!

[quote name='ogvor']I'm loving my new MacBook Pro that i just got for college. It was upgraded a few weeks ago with new processors, graphics more ram, and an LED backlit display for more battery life. It's incredibly fast, boots in less than 20 seconds, and I know it'll last me through out college. I installed boot camp and it actually runs modern games very well with it's new graphics card and 2 gigs of ram.

Best part is the price though: compard to other windows laptops, it's an incredible bargin for people going to college. The 1999.00 price tag is instantly (no rebate) reduced to 1799.00, plus right now you get a free ipod nano, which I sold on ebay for 190$, so with 150 in tax, I got this laptop for 1750!

Try getting a dell with a 2.2 gig Core 2 duo, Nvidia 8600, 2 gigs of ram, and an LED display for that price![/QUOTE]

tell me you bought the apple care protection plan...

Is it weird that I got a much more powerful laptop at a cheaper price? It doesn't have an LED screen, true, but it is glossy, which makes it purdy!

http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C90S

Here's what I had added on:
nVidia 8600GT 512mb Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (Desktop processor, can be overclocked with a single button on the keyboard to Intel Extreme 2.93GHz performance)
Corsair 2GB RAM
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/b/g/n (new wirelss card with 5x the performance and twice the reach)
Windows XP Home
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Free Hardware & OS Install
Free Case and AC Adapter

Final Price: $1639.00 (before shipping)

Everyone on NotebookReview.com is saying this is the best bang-for-the-buck performance desktop replacement in ages. Sure, it has a crappy battery life of 80-90 minutes on power saving mode, but hey, it wasn't really built for that stuff. lol

Just thought I'd throw that out for anyone interested. They're releasing a Santa Rosa version soon with the same customization abilities, which allows it for 3-4x the battery life. ;)
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='the_mailman']who needs a laptop when u got a ds.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but that's perhaps one of the most comments I've read. Why get a DS when you can get an emulator for it and play it on the laptop (yes, one does exist, and I played Age of Empires DS on it). ;)

I won't mention where to get it, since then that'd break the rules...

I recommend buying a 14" and buying a separate larger monitor, base station, wireless keyboard. You will have light weight for portability as well as anything much bigger and you won't have much room if you plan to use in class. Separate monitor and all will be good at home and can use for wii. If you plan on taking notes in class a tablet is a nice option as it seems most students I see in class that are using a computer for notes have a tablet.

for around the 1500 (or less) pricepoint, you can get a pretty souped up version of the new dell latitude 1420. The computer is extremely customizable and offers the new santa rosa processors. Also check out the SONY VAIO FZ series, and the new dell xps m1330 if u can afford it after customization.

bread's done
Back