Laptop suggestions for college

Matrix2k3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Like a lot of people I'm moving off to college and looking for my first laptop (for school and in place of my shitty pc). I'm looking for something under 1000 that can take care of my computing needs. I would be mostly using it for word processing, video editing and photoshop, though wouldnt mind being able to play some newer games on it. I'm leaning towards a normal laptop for now, though i plan on looking into apple in the future. What would be my best bet, in store or just getting a dell? I'm leaning between getting a dell or a toshiba. Problem being that I dont really have a clue what I need and what I can do without when customizing a dell, any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm gonna bump this instead of making a new thread. I'm looking for a laptop for my neice. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8297238&st=8297238&type=product&id=1172881524655

This is a really good computer for the price. A RAM upgrade would help your video editing, though.

It won't play the newest games, but for under $1,000, no laptop will. Laptops that are decent at gaming cost a fortune. This GPU is similar to Radeon's X200/X300 hypermemory cards. It'll play older games fine. My X300 struggled with World of Warcraft, to give you an idea.

[quote name='Matrix2k3']Like a lot of people I'm moving off to college and looking for my first laptop (for school and in place of my shitty pc). I'm looking for something under 1000 that can take care of my computing needs. I would be mostly using it for word processing, video editing and photoshop, though wouldnt mind being able to play some newer games on it. I'm leaning towards a normal laptop for now, though i plan on looking into apple in the future. What would be my best bet, in store or just getting a dell? I'm leaning between getting a dell or a toshiba. Problem being that I dont really have a clue what I need and what I can do without when customizing a dell, any help would be very much appreciated.[/quote]

It really depends on what you mean by newer games. WOW - will run on almost anything, even the Intel GMA945. Crysis - You might be able to get mid-settings on the game with an 8600GT, if you believe everything about what the game demands, you are probably lookkng at low-mid settings. A lot depends on what kind of gaming you want to do, all of the other things can be done on almost any laptop. I am of the belief that while gaming on a laptop is fun, you should consider it a generation or two behind desktops, and adjust what game you play accordingly (though notebook gpu's have come a looooong way).

I was in a similar situation and ended up getting a dell E1505 T7200, ATI X1400, WSXGA+, Bluetooth, DVDRW+, and a lot of other nice features for a little over $900. So far I have only played Warcraft III on it, but it plays that very easily and I am using Vista and only 1gb of ram at the moment.

Your best bet is looking for some kind of July 4th sale at BB or CC. I got a laptop at CC last year during their memorial day say.

I ended up paying about $750 for the same system my friend payed $1000 for a month later, and it was a good deal at $1000 too.

bread's done
Back