Last-gen hidden gems...preferably less than $10

Got Gradius V yesterday - disk only. Ordered a manual and insert from some website. Psi-Ops came, too - now just have to find time to play them!!!

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll suggest Downhill Domination. If you'd have told me a bike racing game would be one of my favorite games on the PS2, I would have thought you were crazy, but it was just all kinds of fun. One game I never got bored with.

I also strongly agree with these previously suggested games: Psychconauts, Klonoa 2, Onimusha: Warlords, and Indigo Prophecy. Has anyone mentioned Shadow of the Colossus? Not exactly a "hidden" gem, but an absolute must-play.

I used to play a lot of games, but as of this past year I've stopped playing that much. Lately, however I've been randomly going to half price books(they have used console/pc games) and gamestop and just looking through the bins. I recently picked up the first Maximo and Mafia for ps2. Both are pretty fun, but I'm not buying anymore until I beat those otherwise I'll have a huge backlog cause they are so cheap.

Not sure if these are considered "hidden gems" but Beyond Good and Evil is a great adventure game., as well as Odin Sphere if you like JRPG's

I dont know if you have an XBOX or not, but Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is a good game as well

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Haunting Ground is good, but good luck finding it for under $10.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. But it's dropped in price. The $15 Used that Gamestop is asking for it is reasonable. Use a coupon+EDGE and you can pick it up for about $10.

Here's one... Ghosthunter for the PS2. It's the best Ghostbuster style game you can play. Well, until the real Ghostbusters game comes out.

Some of my personal favorite hidden gems:

Eternal Ring (PS2) - This game was I believe a launch title for the PS2, and as we all know, PS2 launch titles tend to be pushed aside for their questionable quality. In this games case though, it is absolutely incredibily addicting. Think of King's Field, only set in a more interesting world (lots of different places to explore rather than a boring monotonous dungeon). The game also puts more emphasis on Magic use, which you use magic by crafting magic into rings using stones representing the elements, with a tier system of stones for each element. It's classic first person RPG action at it's best, almost completely nonlinear, a story that keeps you going from one area to the next, and addicting magic system. I give this an 8/10

Extermination (PS2) - This game came out pretty early in the PS2's life, and was supposed to be a killer of Resident Evil as far as survival horror champion, and it should have too. At the time this game came out, Resident Evil was still a slow paced survival horror with tank controls. Extermination gave you full 3D control of your characters, and plenty of ammo to keep the action interesting, but not enough to make it feel easy. The game itself takes you through a base at the North Pole (or somewhere around there) that has been infested by a life form that evolves as you move through the game. I thought that the evolving life was very innovative at the time, as was the main character's gun, which could go from being a machine gun, to a flamethrower, to two other guns I can't remember for the life of me. The knife was actually usable in this game unlike the early Resident Evil games. I give this an 9/10

Breakdown (Xbox) - Probably the best game on this entire list, is also probably the least well known. Breakdown was quite literally a breaking experience, bending the perception of what we came to expect in FPS games. The game had some extremely interactive environments, which were rare at the time. The main character himself had to use his mind to alter the playfield, and at the same time, the game wasn't 100% nonstop shooting like most FPS. The story in Breakdown is among my favorites ever, basically beginning you in a prison facility you had no recollection of, and you searching for what happened. I give this an 10/10

All I can think of for now

My recommend these:

Sky gunner (ps2) A great shooter
Soccer slam (ps2) Great fast pace arcade soccer game
Evil dead regeneration (xbox) Its like Evil dead 4 if it was made (I hope it will)

Viewtiful Joes

Haunting Ground

EDIT: Damn, the Haunting ground prices really shot up...I got my copy 2 years ago for 12.99 at kmart and they literally had dozens of copies.

[quote name='Danimal']Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll suggest Downhill Domination. If you'd have told me a bike racing game would be one of my favorite games on the PS2, I would have thought you were crazy, but it was just all kinds of fun. One game I never got bored with.[/QUOTE]

HELL YES. This is a true hidden-gem of last generation.

You can get it VERY cheap too.

I had downhill domination, i got it as a gift when i was like 10 and was pissed, wasn't expressing it obviously, recently got 200 points for it on goozex.

Anyone else enjoy Dropship? Once you got the hang of flying, I thought it was pretty good...

Saw Alien Hominid for $10 at EB - not bad if you don't have a 360...

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']What website did you order the manual and insert for Gradius V from?[/QUOTE]

Crap - I can't find it now...I just googled Gradius V manual and it was the cheapest one listed on shopzilla...they were pretty fast, and great quality stuff!

bread's done
Back