Last of Us Remastered for PS4 $49.99 @ Amazon.com

Is $50 the new MSRP or is that just a sale price?

alphafann said:
Does the BB charge the full price in advance for preordering online?
Or do they charge when the game is shipped out just like amazon?
you'll get a pending charge added to your credit card so make sure you have enough funds. It wont become an actual charge until shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it's also now $49.99 on PSN if you want to go digital plus supports preloading and can skip paying a tax!

(Also there's some digital exclusive preorder bonuses)
I wish ps+ members got 20% off if we did I would go all digital

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am just not going to fork out this kind of money for last generation game updates. I actually love remakes and updates like these. Its actually one of my favorite trends in all of gaming, but I refuse to pay these kinds of prices. When it drops to $19.99-$29.99, I will think about picking it up. $49.99 to $59.99 is just a huge money grab in my book. No amount of work required for these kinds of updates justifies a $50-$60 dollar price tag. These games should be priced no higher than $29.99.

Even if they priced this game at $19.99 out of the gate, it would still go on to be hugely profitable. 

I absolutely adore its multiplayer so I have no qualms picking it up day 1 at $40 from Best Buy with GCU to get in on the ground floor of it again. I would have played $48 if it had stayed $60 as well. No question.

If its not in your price range no need to complain. It will be eventually.

I read on GAF how somebody preordered a digital TLOU on the PSN - but at the original MSRP.  He's not getting his $10 refunded even though it was a preorder.  Ouch.

With GCU, I'm probably going to be the last guy to adopt the digital future.  There's simply no incentive.  That's a $20 difference on top of keeping a physical copy for resale.

BBY rep just credited my order $10. With my GCU, I came out a little ahead. Pick up the phone if you've already made a preorder at $59.99!

Sorry, but I am just not going to fork out this kind of money for last generation game updates. I actually love remakes and updates like these. Its actually one of my favorite trends in all of gaming, but I refuse to pay these kinds of prices. When it drops to $19.99-$29.99, I will think about picking it up. $49.99 to $59.99 is just a huge money grab in my book. No amount of work required for these kinds of updates justifies a $50-$60 dollar price tag. These games should be priced no higher than $29.99.
Its priced like this because there are a ton of people who never played TLOU on PS3, myself included, so its pretty much a brand new game for me. So I don't mind paying that price. If you already played the game, I don't see why you need to buy it at launch or even at all, I doubt the gameplay experience will be any different, just slightly prettier.

But because there are millions of people who have never played it, it makes sense for them to try and capture the most money first, I doubt it will sell a ton more copies at 40 than 50 or even 60 quite frankly so kudos to them for at least dropping it 10. After six months I'm sure the MSRP will drop to $30 or 40, just like every other launch PS4 game kinda has done now, and it'll easily be on sale for $20 or so during black friday.

The only thing I wonder now is what the trade in values are going to be like, there aren't a lot of $50 launch games. I do hope its a trend, $50 is a price that just feels a lot better than $60.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it's also now $49.99 on PSN if you want to go digital plus supports preloading and can skip paying a tax!

(Also there's some digital exclusive preorder bonuses)
TLOU Remastered does not support pre-load

Is $50 the new MSRP or is that just a sale price?
In addition to several retailers selling it for $50, Amazon's price doesn't show a mark down, so $50 is more than likely the new MSRP.

I read on GAF how somebody preordered a digital TLOU on the PSN - but at the original MSRP. He's not getting his $10 refunded even though it was a preorder. Ouch.

With GCU, I'm probably going to be the last guy to adopt the digital future. There's simply no incentive. That's a $20 difference on top of keeping a physical copy for resale.
I don't believe that for a second. Sony always issues credit back to your account when stuff like this happens.

Anyone know if it will have it's own trophie set or will it mesh with the ps3 set to be combined with that?
I don't think we'll fully know until closer to release but my guess would be separate. Given that they really haven't had a shared list for any of the other ports/multiplats yet(and given that it has a different name with "Remastered" thrown in there) I'd be shocked to see it otherwise.

Its priced like this because there are a ton of people who never played TLOU on PS3, myself included, so its pretty much a brand new game for me. So I don't mind paying that price. If you already played the game, I don't see why you need to buy it at launch or even at all, I doubt the gameplay experience will be any different, just slightly prettier.

But because there are millions of people who have never played it, it makes sense for them to try and capture the most money first, I doubt it will sell a ton more copies at 40 than 50 or even 60 quite frankly so kudos to them for at least dropping it 10. After six months I'm sure the MSRP will drop to $30 or 40, just like every other launch PS4 game kinda has done now, and it'll easily be on sale for $20 or so during black friday.

The only thing I wonder now is what the trade in values are going to be like, there aren't a lot of $50 launch games. I do hope its a trend, $50 is a price that just feels a lot better than $60.
The Tomb Raider DE did pretty good #`s I think the sales from it`s release is what pushed the reboot to profitability. GTAV on XB1/PS4 will do major #`s on next gen too.

The Tomb Raider DE did pretty good #`s I think the sales from it`s release is what pushed the reboot to profitability. GTAV on XB1/PS4 will do major #`s on next gen too.
GTA V will do good numbers immediately, but the port is really about long tail sales. GTA 4 was a top selling digital AND physical title for years after it's release. R* and Take2 would lose those out year sales if they left it as a 360/PS3 title.

What I really like about this remaster is that it was done in house at Naughty Dog. They tweaked the gameplay and are ironing out every glitch in sight. I heard there isn't much of a difference in visual fidelity as it looked amazing to begin with but the new frame rate makes it a whole new experience.

So glad I waited for the inevitable PS4 release. There's nothing like experiencing a game for the first time and i'll experience this masterpiece the best way with that sweet dualshock 4 controller and all them dlcs!!

Anyone know if it will have it's own trophie set or will it mesh with the ps3 set to be combined with that?
I think it will be separate. ND also said they thought about adding few more trophies for the remastered edition. I doubt they will do it as the ps3 trophies were already glitchy and they still haven't fixed some of those issues.

Will still plat this on ps4 even if the same set. This was a fun game to get platinum for.

This is a fantastic game and I am more than happy to give them another $50 to experience the game again with a bump in graphics and DLC on my PS4.

To all of the clowns taking a moral stand because it isn't $30 or whatever price suits your budget... your loss. I find it comical how many business experts and geniuses seem to roam the internet gaming forums. Naughty Dog puts out AAA grade content, I wouldn't devalue my work anymore than they already have if I were them either. Accounting for the included $35 of DLC would mean the original game is only $15.

How dare they!

I hope they'll add some more situational trophies, not necessarily for chapters, but something other than finding documents. Finishing the game got you so few trophies aside from the boring collectibles.

I think it will be separate. ND also said they thought about adding few more trophies for the remastered edition. I doubt they will do it as the ps3 trophies were already glitchy and they still haven't fixed some of those issues.

Will still plat this on ps4 even if the same set. This was a fun game to get platinum for.

To all of the clowns taking a moral stand because it isn't $30 or whatever price suits your budget... your loss. I find it comical how many business experts and geniuses seem to roam the internet gaming forums. Naughty Dog puts out AAA grade content, I wouldn't devalue my work anymore than they already have if I were them either. Accounting for the included $35 of DLC would mean the original game is only $15.

How dare they! <--- sarcasm
the industry is to blame Capcom has made a fortune on Re-Re-Re-Releases & even games that didn`t sell like Naughty Bear get a gold edition. You`ll see many GOTY/complete versions each yr but even some of these re-releases don`t contain the all the DLC.

there's a steelbook edition in Germany's amazon store EUR 69,00.  you guys think this will be available in the US?

amazon de/Last-Remastered-Steelbook-Amazon-PlayStation/dp/B00L198XZS

I wish they would offer a lower price.  For only a resolution change and including DLC I didn't care about the first time, $50.00 is too high.

Absolutely, if you never played it, it's a good deal, but I would rather see them come in at a lower price and really stick it to Microsoft.  As a multi-platform gamer, the two weeks of Steam sales make this seem like a total cash grab.  Even on the Xbox One side of things, Halo: Master Chief Collection is $60.00 for four full games, including multiplayer, and significantly reworked graphics.

I really wish they would have released this for the PS4 at launch.  As it is, I'll be waiting for a discount off the $50.00 MSRP.  

I wish they would offer a lower price. For only a resolution change and including DLC I didn't care about the first time, $50.00 is too high.

Absolutely, if you never played it, it's a good deal, but I would rather see them come in at a lower price and really stick it to Microsoft. As a multi-platform gamer, the two weeks of Steam sales make this seem like a total cash grab. Even on the Xbox One side of things, Halo: Master Chief Collection is $60.00 for four full games, including multiplayer, and significantly reworked graphics.

I really wish they would have released this for the PS4 at launch. As it is, I'll be waiting for a discount off the $50.00 MSRP.
I think some of you vastly underestimate the work required to up-port something like this nowadays. Look at how many HD collections turned out to have more issues than the originals for a decent reference point. Hell just look at ports in general, even on PC where you can rise way above the system requirements, optimization issues tend to exist if time, effort and care aren't taken. Pushing something out sooner than it's ready to be is a recipe for disaster more often than not.

we will be seeing alot of hd remakes early this gen of systems and i expect them to be 50 or 60 bucks

dev time for games is taking longer and longer which is why we are getting tons of hd remakes. companys need to make money between games.

Im kinda expecting an Uncharted Collection when Uncharted 4 comes out and for SE to just port both Kingdom Hearts Remixes when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.

dev time for games is taking longer and longer which is why we are getting tons of hd remakes. companys need to make money between games.

I read on GAF how somebody preordered a digital TLOU on the PSN - but at the original MSRP. He's not getting his $10 refunded even though it was a preorder. Ouch.

With GCU, I'm probably going to be the last guy to adopt the digital future. There's simply no incentive. That's a $20 difference on top of keeping a physical copy for resale.
I don't believe that for a second. Sony always issues credit back to your account when stuff like this happens.
yea sony says the $10 different should be refunded in 5-7 days if this twitter page is any indication https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/480561154238861312

we will be seeing alot of hd remakes early this gen of systems and i expect them to be 50 or 60 bucks

I`m cool with that there`s alot of PS1/PS2/PSP games I missed plus the Playstation era is like 20 yrs old. So there`s a whole segment of gamers with money now that either weren`t alive or didn`t have money back then. Right now I have cousins that don`t get how huge Resident Evil, Socom, Tomb Raider, Hitman or Tekken were on PS1/PS2 this strengthens the franchises.

The only thing I`d like is all the games + DLC on the disk $50 or $60 is fine.

Even if they priced this game at $19.99 out of the gate, it would still go on to be hugely profitable.
Not everyone played the original geez. Besides, it's not like they are forcing you to buy this again. You enjoyed it already fine, move on. If you hate remasters then why do you even consider getting this again at any price at all. Obviously you enjoy these releases too. The complaining about remasters are so damn annoying because people think everything revolve around themselves. The price is well set. $50 for the game and all dlc which would still cost about the same on PS3 minus the awesome 60 fps plus 1080 full hd resolution.

Game prices should be set by whatever the company wants. If people don't think that it is justified then people won't buy it and they'll lower it like they recently did from $60 yet people still complain. Whatever.

crying_boy.gif_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.gif

Sorry, but this makes absolutely zero sense. Pricing shouldn't be based on what percentage of the population has or hasn't played the game. It should be based on the amount of money it cost to update the game, which is directly linked to just how much of the game itself is actually updated. Going off of this mentaility, every remake that ever gets released should be $60 dollars as only a fraction of the total gaming market ever buys a particular game. There have been over 70 million PS3's and 360's sold. Given, many of those are replacments for broken consoles and such, but even so a lowball estimate would be that there are at least 20 million US households that have a PS3 or XBox 360 in them. Yet most games are lucky to sell even a couple million units. Even the most popular games like GTA V only sell to maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the total installed base. So basically every game that gets released, even the ones that sell EXTREMELY well, will always have millions of console owners who havent played the game. So again, going off of this mentaility, every remake that gets made should be priced at $50-$60 bucks, regardless of the amount of upgrades done to the game and regardless of the total cost to update the game. Again, that makes absolutely zero sense. Actually, going off of this mentality, the less successful the game, the more expensive the remake should be as your basing price off of how many people purchased the original game. So the less a game sells, the more expsensive its remake should be as there as just that many more people that havent played it. Sorry, but that is NOT how pricing on remakes/updates should be handled. That is as backwards as backwards can get.

Tomb Raider was a different story as they put an absolute CRAPLOAD of extra work into that game. 3 studios and over a years worth of extra development time. Yet even with that game a $59.99 price tag was stretching it. It should have been $39.99 to $49.99 tops. Pricing this game as they have is nothing more than a money grab and there is no justification for it. Given the amount of work they put into it, it should have been $29.99 tops, and they still would have made an absolute boatload of cash on it even at that price point. Its greed, nothing more and nothing less so in that regard it doesnt surpise me one bit. Greed is one of the defining characteristics in the modern business world. You can either choose to support such methods or you can choose not to support such methods. Its up to each person to decide. As I have already stated, I have no problem supporting Naughty Dog's efforts in bringing this game to the PS4, but I wont be spending anywhere near $50-60 bucks for it. Doing so will only encourage other developers to follow the money grab train. I will buy it when it drops to the price it should have been released at, $29.99.

This is a fantastic game and I am more than happy to give them another $50 to experience the game again with a bump in graphics and DLC on my PS4.

How dare they! <--- sarcasm
I am curious, how does being patient and buying a game a few months after its release, for less money, compute into a loss in your book? Really, I would love to hear your rationale on that one. Should make for a very interesting read, lol. And sorry to burst your bubble but it doesnt take a business expert to come to the realization that the cost of making the update doesnt even come anywhere close to matching the cost of originally developing the game, hence putting the same price tag on the two different versions is nothing short of a money grab. The fact that they wound up lowering the price due to people complaining is 100% proof of that fact. You dont need a business degree to understand that, just a little bit of common sense.

As for calling people clowns becasue they have a different opinion than you....well, all that does is show that you have the maturity of a 10 year old. Then again, for all I know you could be an 8 year old and actually be ahead of the curve. Either way, your ultimately just another misc joe on the internet that thinks thier subjective opinions are superior to everyone elses. What a shock, lol.

We have actually just seen 2 remakes announced that will ultimately serve as perfect examples on the different ends of the spectrum in regards to content and pricing. On the one hand you have The Last of Us, which is a single game that ultimately had very little updated overall. It was more tweaking than serious updating and it was announced at $59.99 and then lowered to $49.99 due to people complaining. On the other hand you have the Master Chief Collection which has 4 complete games, 2 of which have basically been remade from the ground up (Halo 1 and Halo 2) and 2 others which have had complete graphic overhauls. Not to mention over 100 multi-player maps, including some new ones if I am not mistaken. And to top if off you get a digital TV show produced by Ridley Scott. It was also priced at $59.99. Jesus, talk about a STARK difference in pricing and the amount of content you get for your money. The difference between those 2 releases is nothing short of MIND BLOWING, both in regards to the amount of content and the amount of work done. The fact that they were both announced at the $59.99 price point....well, it really does show just how big of a money grab the Last of Us pricing really is.

If I have learned anything since the announcment of the PS4 pricing on The Last of US, its that some people are so far up Naughty Dog's rear end that they could charge $150 bucks and they would still run around defending thier pricing.

What a lot of you guys are fainting to realize is that this version basically includes the season pass as well. Basic math then says: $30 game + $20 SP = $50. And that's if you wanted to go the PS3 route right now.

Let's also not forget that the cheapest the PS3 version has been was $25 on BF.

Why would you expect a company to remaster a game for next-gen, bundle it with the season pass(essentially making it a definitive GotY version), and then only charge the same price the original console release vanilla version would set you back right now? It's stupid logic. I mean, sure, I'd love it if it were priced at $40 but I really don't see $50 as being totally unreasonable. The game is only a year old, after all!

Not everyone played the original geez. Besides, it's not like they are forcing you to buy this again. You enjoyed it already fine, move on. If you hate remasters then why do you even consider getting this again at any price at all. Obviously you enjoy these releases too. The complaining about remasters are so damn annoying because people think everything revolve around themselves. The price is well set. $50 for the game and all dlc which would still cost about the same on PS3 minus the awesome 60 fps plus 1080 full hd resolution.

Game prices should be set by whatever the company wants. If people don't think that it is justified then people won't buy it and they'll lower it like they recently did from $60 yet people still complain. Whatever.
I hate remasters? Can you actually read or do you just pretend to read people's posts? Or do you just come into the middle of debates prentending to know what people have posted? If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I specifically stated that remakes and updates are one of my single favorite trends in all of gaming. In fact, I cant think of a single title that I havent already purchased. Beyond Good and Evil HD, Prince of Persia Trilogy, The Sly Cooper Collection, Devil May Cry Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, Ratchet & Clank Collection, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Hitman Trilogy, Castle of Illusion, Bionic Commando Rearmed, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ducktales Remastered, Earthworm Jim HD, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, God of War Collection, God of War: Origins Collection, Halo Anniversary, Fable Anniversary, The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Anniversary editions, Bladur's Gate Enhanced Edition, Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition, Myst Masterpiece edition, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD, Prince of Persia Classic, Resident Evil 4 HD, Resident Evil Code Veronica HD, Silent Hill HD Collection, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, etc... I could go on and on and on.

Actually, I would estimate that roughly 40% of my gaming time is spent either playing remakes or replaying older games. So I am the last person in the world to complain about remakes. I absolutely love them and will continue to buy every last one that comes to market, at least for games that I enjoyed, and that includes The Last of Us PS4 remake. Nope, I am not complaining about remakes being made, I am simply stating the obvious, that pricing the PS4 remake of The Last of Us at $59.99, and even $49.99, is a money grab, nothing more and nothing less. You can argue about it until your blue in the face but the fact that they ultimately lowered the price in the face of people complaining is 100% proof of the fact. If it was a legtimate and fair price, they never would have changed it.

I remember when Tomb Raider Definitive Edition was announced. Everyone under the sun was complaining about the price being $59.99 and that game had 10 times the work done on it than the PS4 version of The Last of Us. Yet suddenly its ok for a remake with a FAR lesser amount of work done on it to be priced similarly, lol. As I said in my last post, if the pricing of this game has taught me anything its that some fans of Naught Dog are so far up thier rear end that they could charge whetever price they wanted and those people would still defend them. They would shell out $150 bucks and call everyone that complained cheapskates or fanboys, lol. I am one of Naughty Dog's biggest fans out there, but I know price gouging when I see it and I am not a fanboy for either system so I simply call em as I see em and this is without question a money grab. Again, the fact that they have already lowered the price by 10 bucks is 100% proof of that fact.

I hate remasters? Can you actually read or do you just pretend to read people's posts? Or do you just come into the middle of debates prentending to know what people have posted? If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I specifically stated that remakes and updates are one of my single favorite trends in all of gaming. In fact, I cant think of a single title that I havent already purchased. Beyond Good and Evil HD, Prince of Persia Trilogy, The Sly Cooper Collection, Devil May Cry Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, Ratchet & Clank Collection, Splinter Cell Trilogy, Hitman Trilogy, Castle of Illusion, Bionic Commando Rearmed, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ducktales Remastered, Earthworm Jim HD, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, God of War Collection, God of War: Origins Collection, Halo Anniversary, Fable Anniversary, The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Monkey Island 1 & 2 Anniversary editions, Bladur's Gate Enhanced Edition, Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition, Myst Masterpiece edition, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD, Prince of Persia Classic, Resident Evil 4 HD, Resident Evil Code Veronica HD, Silent Hill HD Collection, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, etc... I could go on and on and on.

Actually, I would estimate that roughly 40% of my gaming time is spent either playing remakes or replaying older games. So I am the last person in the world to complain about remakes. I absolutely love them and will continue to buy every last one that comes to market, at least for games that I enjoyed, and that includes The Last of Us PS4 remake. Nope, I am not complaining about remakes being made, I am simply stating the obvious, that pricing the PS4 remake of The Last of Us at $59.99, and even $49.99, is a money grab, nothing more and nothing less. You can argue about it until your blue in the face but the fact that they ultimately lowered the price in the face of people complaining is 100% proof of the fact. If it was a legtimate and fair price, they never would have changed it.

I remember when Tomb Raider Definitive Edition was announced. Everyone under the sun was complaining about the price being $59.99 and that game had 10 times the work done on it than the PS4 version of The Last of Us. Yet suddenly its ok for a remake with a FAR lesser amount of work done on it to be priced similarly, lol. As I said in my last post, if the pricing of this game has taught me anything its that some fans of Naught Dog are so far up thier rear end that they could charge whetever price they wanted and those people would still defend them. They would shell out $150 bucks and call everyone that complained cheapskates or fanboys, lol. I am one of Naughty Dog's biggest fans out there, but I know price gouging when I see it and I am not a fanboy for either system so I simply call em as I see em and this is without question a money grab. Again, the fact that they have already lowered the price by 10 bucks is 100% proof of that fact.
Why are there so many words

Are you writing essays for your English class or something? You care way too much about this if you're writing that much.

i already pre ordered digital and i can't wait tbh. i have the base game and never bought a single ounce of dlc, only played the story mode once so this will be like a new experience for me. 

Sorry, but this makes absolutely zero sense. Pricing shouldn't be based on what percentage of the population has or hasn't played the game. It should be based on the amount of money it cost to update the game, which is directly linked to just how much of the game itself is actually updated.
I removed the parts of your post that are more opinion based then anything else and will address this statement, since you say it as it is factual.

Are you seriously trying to state that people should charge on what it cost to recoup what they used to create the product???

It seems like your statement is more consumer driven and doesn't take into account the huge team that these big developers put into making games.

Sure this is an cleaned up version with added content (via the DLC), but you along with everyone else here (myself included) has NO idea how much it cost ND to make this upscale port.

They are charging $50 for this day one, dislike it. DON'T fuckING BUY IT! Speak with your wallet, everything else is worthless when it comes to the price of an item. You may not feel it is worth it and no one can tell you that you're wrong, it's your money and you control it.

The same is true with this game. It is Naughty Dogs product and they control it. If it does not sell the number of copies they expected at $50 they will lower it via sales, and continue to do so. This is CAG...we know that a MSRP is not set in stone and any item (that isn't a true limited item) will be had for much cheaper down the road.

But at the same time some people, yes even a CAG, values the game at $50 so they are happy paying that for it. You disagree, that makes us individuals with independent and different viewpoints and opinions.

To state that a product MUST be priced based on the cost to produce it is idiotic, a business is in the business of making money. They will try to get as much money from every single item they sell until the revenue stream slows down and they will adjust accordingly. It is simple business 101.

bread's done
Back