Late Generation PS2 games that may become rare

[quote name='depascal22']What about Guilty Gear X2, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and Alpha Anthology? The Street Fighter games should get a nice boost when SFIV eventually drops.

For RPGs, it's hard to go against Persona 3 and SMT: Nocturne. My darkhorses would be Rogue Galaxy and Tales of the Abyss.[/quote]

I think Grandia III will be one as well as the demand seems to have gone up a bit for it. I think Most RPG's in general will be rare as they are always a niche.

99% of open videogames will be less than msrp forever.
Out of all the genres, rpgs are the best at holding their value for several reasons:
Low printrun, niche audience, infrequent reprints/digital reissues, decent quality.
If you hold onto a sealed game long enough, it has a good chance of eventually rising above msrp. To do so, it will need to be out of print or not easily available online such as amazon- often for years.
But, the videogame market has tremendous volatility.
Copies of Persona 2 (for ps) were easily available on ebay in complete condition for $20-$30. When Persona 3 hit, those prices surged.
Dark Alliance 2 isn't a particularly good game, yet it commands decent resale value.
The article is interesting, but many of those game are very old now. There are a great many other items you might have purchase back in 1993 that would also be very valuable.

I would say Baroque had a good chance, because it will be savaged by reviews, but still have loyal buyers (much like Brigandine was), however, that it also releases for the Wii puts a huge question there. Not that the Wii cannot yet have rare games (Kororinpa), but that it won't be a true last gen title. I would see it having decent value, along the lines of a Skies of Arcadia.

Lastly, with enough patience on ebay, even truly rare games like Panzer Dragoon Saga can be had around $100 in excellent condition. Expensive, but not much more than a new copy of a bad 360 game.

Skies of Arcadia actually got a reprint and sold for $20, but eventually the demand is greater than the supply and the value went back up.

Dark Alliance 2 is a good game, problem is that Interplay went out of business and there is no way to reprint it.

the problem with Baroque is that it is a dugeon crawler, a gene that never have a big follower in American. There is a reason why you could get factory sealed Torneko The Last Hope for under $30 while other enix psone games easily worth over $100.

[quote name='62t']Skies of Arcadia actually got a reprint and sold for $20, but eventually the demand is greater than the supply and the value went back up.

Dark Alliance 2 is a good game, problem is that Interplay went out of business and there is no way to reprint it.

the problem with Baroque is that it is a dugeon crawler, a gene that never have a big follower in American. There is a reason why you could get factory sealed Torneko The Last Hope for under $30 while other enix psone games easily worth over $100.[/QUOTE]

really? i see skies of arcadia everywhere for 15-20 bucks used. I want to pick them up cause I know they will go up one day. I think another reason why RPG's go up in value is cause when people play them they get situated in a world for a month or two and they get conditioned to the game whether they like it or not. later those conditioned feelings turn into nostalgic sentiment. really strong nostalgic sentiment that they try to recapture by trying to re-acquire said past experience by paying exorbitant prices.

[quote name='depascal22']Anything other than RPGs?

How about Klonoa 2?[/quote]

I never see Klonoa 2 B&M. It doesn't fetch too much money though. Klonoa 1 does, however, so Klonoa 2 could possibly go up in the future. It's an excellent game.

[quote name='depascal22']Anything other than RPGs?

How about Klonoa 2?[/QUOTE]

Sadly, it seems only RPG's have a small enough print run, and are niche enough that people would be willing to pay top dollar for them. Same with shmups and fighters.

I will say the World Heroes Anthology and Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 2 sets may get rare, as no retail store other than Gamecrazy seems to be stocking them.

[quote name='Roufuss']
I will say the World Heroes Anthology and Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 2 sets may get rare, as no retail store other than Gamecrazy seems to be stocking them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the early indication is these aren't going to be as common as some of the earlier SNK games (KOFXI, Art of Fighting Anthology, NGBC). I have only seen them for sale on Amazon and haven't seen them in any of those "Budget/Front lane" displays yet.

lack of availability doesnt mean a game will be rare or expensive though. Castle Shikigami 2 was hard to find at retail store but never worth anything. Spikeout: Battle Street probably had the most limited release of any xbox 1 games and that isnt worth much either.

[quote name='sparklecopy']you can also buy survival horror like fatal frame and silent hill. those will go up in price eventually.[/quote]

Fatal Frame III has the best chance of becoming valuable since it was a PS2 only game and probably received a lower print run than the first two.

Silent Hill 3 has the best chance of becoming valuable but I really don't see it. You can still find it in stores and I think that the female protagonist might have turned off some people from the series. Nothing against women in gaming but some people just don't want to play a survival horror game with one as the lead character.

My darkhorse from the survival horror genre would be Rule of Rose. Bad reviews and late generation release = possible price increase down the road.

[quote name='depascal22']Fatal Frame III has the best chance of becoming valuable since it was a PS2 only game and probably received a lower print run than the first two.[/QUOTE]

I guess you missed the thing about it getting reprinted on the frontpage.

[quote name='rainking187']I guess you missed the thing about it getting reprinted on the frontpage.[/QUOTE]

Once the repints sell out though It's another story. Shin Megami will probably sell high again once the reprints run out. Since Fatal Frame 3 was PS2 only (unless we get some crazy wiimake, or a 360 port considering the first two were on XBox) I can see it going back up in price again, say $50-$60.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Once the repints sell out though It's another story. Shin Megami will probably sell high again once the reprints run out. Since Fatal Frame 3 was PS2 only (unless we get some crazy wiimake, or a 360 port considering the first two were on XBox) I can see it going back up in price again, say $50-$60.[/QUOTE]

Rhapsody is no where close to what it use to worth before the reprint. The Persona 2 reprint sold out a long time and didnt go up in value until around the release of Persoan 3

So I got 2 copies of Arcana Heart at a local Mom and Pop store...Buy one get one half off.

Should I keep one sealed in hopes it will fetch a premium on ebay? Or should I just dump it now for 30$.

bread's done
Back