Launch day. What's the word?

[quote name='Yanksfan']Digital > Physical for handheld gaming.

Not enough to pay a lot more, but when prices are even, I will go digital.[/QUOTE]

Gee, what a convincing argument.

The point is that digital is never equally priced when you factor in zero resale/trade, let alone that retail always has sales.

[quote name='iamthekiller']Gee, what a convincing argument.

The point is that digital is never equally priced when you factor in zero resale/trade, let alone that retail always has sales.[/QUOTE]

First of all, fuck off. I didn't say it was an argument, it is my opinion.

I rarely resell or trade in games so I could care less about that aspect. I do care about having my games preloaded to choose from the OS. So it is 'equally' priced for those that value that aspect. It just isn't for you. How is that so hard to understand?

I agree with digital > physical.

I don't want to carry around those tiny cards that the Vita uses or the tiny 3DS carts. Being able to just pick what I want to play from the menu without having to switch out the game is nice, and makes me dislike physical media on a handheld. I know I'll be buying most Vita games digitally, it's worth it to me to have all my games with me without having to have anything aside from the Vita on me.

[quote name='whoknows']I agree with digital > physical.

I don't want to carry around those tiny cards that the Vita uses or the tiny 3DS carts. Being able to just pick what I want to play from the menu without having to switch out the game is nice, and makes me dislike physical media on a handheld. I know I'll be buying most Vita games digitally, it's worth it to me to have all my games with me without having to have anything aside from the Vita on me.[/QUOTE]

I totally see the appeal of having digital copies on a handheld system. However, digital copies should be at least a bit cheaper than physical considering they save the publisher the cost of making the UMD / cartridge, printing the manual, etc. Since I have the PSP 1000 UMDs are a better deal than having to buy expensive memory sticks to download games on to; especially since I can resell them.

Some games are a few dollars cheaper, and I don't really think making physical copies costs publishers as much as you'd think.

Digital also helps me buy games I know I really want, so reselling isn't really a factor. I don't usually buy games with the intention of getting rid of them. If I did I'd get Gamefly, it's cheaper.

I generally prefer Digital over Physical as well, but in regards to the Vita, I don't. Right now the largest card you can get is 32GB and if all my games were digital as oppose to physical I would probably be maxed out if not close to it right now. Furthermore, that 32GB is not cheap and the digital copies either have little to no discount in comparison to the physical. Financially (regardless if I can afford it or not), it just does not make sense.

As for the point of wanting your games readily accessible from the OS... Well, you will only be able to have so many games accessible at a time with the max 32GB. Granted you don't have to download/install every game, but then that game is not considered accessible. Also you could load different game on to different memory card, but that makes it about the same as carrying physical copy (actually worse since the Vita reboots every time you change the card).

Sony has already stated (or atleast I thought I read it somewhere) that they will be coming out with larger capacity card, which will help (at a cost) the first part. In then end, each of us will do what's best for us and at least Sony learned from the PSP Go to at least have an option for both (even though pricing could be better).

[quote name='jedolley']As for the point of wanting your games readily accessible from the OS... Well, you will only be able to have so many games accessible at a time with the max 32GB. Granted you don't have to download/install every game, but then that game is not considered accessible. Also you could load different game on to different memory card, but that makes it about the same as carrying physical copy (actually worse since the Vita reboots every time you change the card). [/QUOTE]

For the time being 32GB will be fine. If I go over I'll buy another 32GB. Although I'd prefer to wait for 64GB card.

Whenever Sony gets around to allowing PS1 games will probably be the same time I'm forced to get another memory card.

I understand the convenience of being able to take all your games without you without carrying cartridges but paying full price for something with no resale value is a no go for me. Especially with the price of the 32gb card. i wonder if they could do something where you buy the phsyical copy and you get a code that allows you to install to the sd card that only comes in new copies? maybe even charge a slight premium for getting both versions in a bundle.

[quote name='whoknows']They wouldn't do that because then people would install the game and trade away the physical copy.[/QUOTE]

maybe make sure you have to enter a code to unlock the digital copy and has drm where once a month it says "please insert disc to prove ownership" if not then game is inaccessible until you do. there are ways it could be done.

[quote name='el swordo']maybe make sure you have to enter a code to unlock the digital copy and has drm where once a month it says "please insert disc to prove ownership" if not then game is inaccessible until you do. there are ways it could be done.[/QUOTE]

That would be incredibly annoying.

[quote name='omyard']That would be incredibly annoying.[/QUOTE]

meh it's once a month and if you want a digital copy with your phsycial copy it might be the only way. other than tying a digital copy to a particular bar code and when gamestop scans the barcode for trade in then it deactivates the digital copy.

Went to best buy on the way home to look at the case selections, they were completely sold out. Not one case left, also they were sold out of every game except the army corp game, which had one copy left. I asked the salesman and they only had two vitas left. In this store at least the system is selling very well.

I'm hoping they start announcing some good, exclusive RPGs for US release by next holiday season. I think the system has great potential but there isn't a single launch title that really interests me yet.

bread's done
Back