LE/CE Games Valuable Long Term?

Armstrong x360a

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I didn't really know how to search for this so forgive me if there's already a thread. Normally I play games to beat them and then trade to GS or here, but lately I'm getting an urge to hang on to my collection. That said, I have a couple questions about the long term value of Collector's and Limited Edition games in general and versus their normal counterparts.

1. Do the special editions of titles increase in value with time (ie years) after the initial value drop, or once the title is old it's dead?
2. Does the LE/CE value increase any more than a regular edition copy of the game?
2. Does the title need to be in the original packaging in order to be of value or does an unwrapped mint condition (complete, no scratches on disc, manual mint, etc.) game have the same value as a wrapped one?
3. Are blockbuster titles, or less well known games (cult hits for example) more likely to be valuable in the long run?
4. Is there any way to judge a games possible future value before purchasing/preordering (ie limited number of copies, special items included, popularity, rarity, etc.)?
5. Do the collectible items that come with some preorders ever hold any actual value?

In other words, I'm wondering if the same general rules that apply to most collectibles also apply to video games (specifically LE/CE copies) or if they are just a complete advertising gimick invented by game companies. I'm excited to hear your replies!

[quote name='cochesecochese']Pure gimmick. Once in a blue moon it will hold its value (DJMax, the OG WOW CE).

No, I'm not answering your list of questions.[/quote]

Too many? :p Thanks for the reply. That is what I figured but I thought I would ask here, since nowhere do people know the value of games better!

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']I didn't really know how to search for this so forgive me if there's already a thread. Normally I play games to beat them and then trade to GS or here, but lately I'm getting an urge to hang on to my collection. That said, I have a couple questions about the long term value of Collector's and Limited Edition games in general and versus their normal counterparts.

1. Do the special editions of titles increase in value with time (ie years) after the initial value drop, or once the title is old it's dead?
2. Does the LE/CE value increase any more than a regular edition copy of the game?
2. Does the title need to be in the original packaging in order to be of value or does an unwrapped mint condition (complete, no scratches on disc, manual mint, etc.) game have the same value as a wrapped one?
3. Are blockbuster titles, or less well known games (cult hits for example) more likely to be valuable in the long run?
4. Is there any way to judge a games possible future value before purchasing/preordering (ie limited number of copies, special items included, popularity, rarity, etc.)?
5. Do the collectible items that come with some preorders ever hold any actual value?

In other words, I'm wondering if the same general rules that apply to most collectibles also apply to video games (specifically LE/CE copies) or if they are just a complete advertising gimick invented by game companies. I'm excited to hear your replies![/QUOTE]

1. Usually the highest if there is a shortage around the release
2. Huge difference between opened and sealed. check the price difference between sealed and opended MGS3 LE, FFXII LE or Bioshock LE
3. Depends
4. No
5. Usually no.

1-yes and no. i believe it depends on what the content is being offered, a deck of cards isn't going to wow any one as compared to something else like maybe a bonus exclusive game disc. in addition, you do end up having people who more then likely not care about it.

2-if the game is sealed, then it's worth more but if it's not it won't be as much.

3-look at halo 3 and resident evil 4. they are both mega titles. look around and see what you find.

4-no because it goes back to question 1, depending on what the content is. suppose the content is a dvd video, then more then likely people may not care because people don't give shit how halo or gears of war was made. also, people tend to stream [youtube] those things, look at i am legend, which has the special ending [i believe only on the special edition version] but people leaked it out.

5-no because most of the time, those pre-order incentives are cheapo stuff, like a t-shirt or a special pin or coin, and people know that those things aren't really valuable.

if a game came out and the special edition included a bonus disc for more stuff for the game, then yes it would cost more as you can't get a hold of the contents unless you have a modded system which will allow you to copy the contents to a disc and play. good example would be the zelda ocarina of time and master quest that was included with a purchase of zelda windwaker. you couldn't get a copy of the disc unless someone was willing to sell it to you, in which case they'll sell it at a high cost. another good example is metal gear solid 2 substance, which has additional features which extends the replay value of the game then the original.

the current contents that you get from special edition or collectors edition on games are crap and useless. look at the halo 3 stuff [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3], they're useless.

In general I'd say that a sealed limited edition copy of a niche game will at least hold its original MSRP, or maybe increase a little. Used, it's obviously going to lose some value but probably still hold better than other games. There are several examples among PS2 JRPGs-- Persona 3, Ar tonelico, Growlanser: Heritage of War, Magna Carta, etc. Note that in some of those cases the game itself was unpopular or poorly reviewed, so it's not necessarily about a game becoming a beloved classic. If it's a cult-enough title, collectors will want it in their library. But even in those cases, your potential profit from selling a rare title is going to be like $50 or less. No one is sending their kids to college on that Growlanser box set.

More recently, it seems like almost every game, no matter what genre or how well known or obscure it is, is getting a limited edition. My guess is that this will bring down the desirability of limited editions in general. The more cult/niche the title, the better the chance of the limited edition holding value. Something like Eternal Poison would be a good bet, but I don't see people caring much in a few years about a limited edition copy of Soul Calibur IV or something.

But again, "valuable" is a relative term... Most used or old games plummet in value. If you can play a game, keep it on your shelf for a few years, then sell it someday for 80% or 90% of what you paid for it, or even break even, that's a win.

bread's done
Back