LE Xbox 360 MW2 bundle $299 @ Walmart YMMV

Torusan

CAGiversary!
IMG00093.jpg

Found this today at a local Walmart in Logan, UT. Sorry for the blurry picture. I only had my old blackberry with me.

Also, I checked the label. So, no. I'm not mistaking this price for the Elite below it.

[quote name='dabamus']I have bumped mine before with it on and vertical, and had no problems. The scratching problems were mainly in the original launch-era models.

I have had played hundreds of hours on my three different 360s(one launch=RROD, one post-launch=RROD, and my current 2008 model) and not had any scratching issues.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know then. Hopefully my luck is the same.:D:pray:

Here's hoping. I now own a 360 and a PS3, and I have to say that Xbox Live beats PSN. Hooking up with friends to play online is just so much simpler.

My 360 has only ever scratched one disc, and it was my fault. I was unhooking a wire from behind the tv and turned to drop an elbow into my 360. Scratches are a minor concern. It's more likely your Xbox will catch your cat on fire

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What would you say are the odds of a 360 scratching a disc? I ask because I may be taking this on a rare(very rare) occasion up to a friends' house to let him play Fable II on it and he has 2 younger nieces and a younger nephew, all of which are a bit energetic and very grabby of games.

I just worry that one wrong bump and WHAM-O, I'm looking at a messed up disc or system and ending up being afraid of using the system after that.

I had the disc scratching happen prior with only ONE system(30001R PS2) and it did a number on my one GTA disc. But luckily it wasn't deep enough of a scratch to cause the disc to be unplayable.:D

Plus, the store(local one) I bought the PS2 from agreed to resurface the disc at no cost to me and re-align the lens to prevent future issues.[/QUOTE]
I would say the odds are very, very low. Out of all 4 360s (2 I owned, 2 were store demo units) I've dealt with since launch none of them have ever scratched the disc. RRoD is the only problem I've ever had with them.

[quote name='reddjoey']My 360 has only ever scratched one disc, and it was my fault. I was unhooking a wire from behind the tv and turned to drop an elbow into my 360. Scratches are a minor concern. It's more likely your Xbox will catch your cat on fire[/QUOTE]

Lucky for me I don't have a cat. Actually, I can't stand them.:whistle2:# But if it gets as warm as the PS3, then I'll be nitpicking over how and where to set it up. Right now, I have my PS3 on the top level of a wooden table I got from a Salvation Army for $3 and the top of it(slim model) gets unbelievably warm(almost hot)to me at times.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I would say the odds are very, very low. Out of all 4 360s (2 I owned, 2 were store demo units) I've dealt with since launch none of them have ever scratched the disc. RRoD is the only problem I've ever had with them.[/QUOTE]

Well then that's good news for me, since I hated the running around I had to do with the PS2 that scratched my one disc about 5 years ago. Then again, I bought it for $15 from a local shop and as I said before they resurfaced the disc for me, so it all worked out for me.:D

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I would say the odds are very, very low. Out of all 4 360s (2 I owned, 2 were store demo units) I've dealt with since launch none of them have ever scratched the disc. RRoD is the only problem I've ever had with them.[/QUOTE]

To add to the above, if you install the game to the hard drive (recommended if you have a +60gig hdd) then the odds of scratching are reduced to almost zero. Although the drive does spin upon initial loading, so one more safeguard in protecting the disk.

Aside to everyone else, is it me or does NBA 2K10 keep the disc spinning even while in the dashboard???

Found one at the Chesterfield Valley store in St. Louis. Scanned at $399.99, plus the seal on the box wasn't secure, so I'm betting it's someone's return.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's good to know then. Hopefully my luck is the same.:D:pray:[/QUOTE]

You can add me into the 'never had discs scratched' list. 3 360s (only 1 RROD) and never a scratch on any disc.

I recommend only one thing though. *Use at your own peril :cool:* If you keep it horizontal, go get something that will prop it up some so its belly isnt sitting smack against whatever you have it on. The thing is that the 360s little rubber pads that are supposed to prop it up are so damn small that you might only be able to slide a sheet of paper underneath the console, if that. Thats no good as the console will get hot down there and fry itself.

I have used my refurb for gaming so as to save my 2 newer ones and man I have crapped that thing up for hours and its running great.

I proped it up, put four rubber type things I bought at Walmart cheap on all four corners which proped it up about 1/2 an inch, so that air flow can get into all sides, up, down, left right. Just make sure its 100% steady (duh). My cousin went even further and proped his up by 1 inch (maybe even a little more than that) by using some hard foam type padding.

The 360s (mine and his) are wayyyyyyyy cooler now underneath since they are not smacked up against the table(s).

Why dont I go vertical? The way my setup is stuff looks better in the home theater stand.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']You can add me into the 'never had discs scratched' list. 3 360s (only 1 RROD) and never a scratch on any disc.

I recommend only one thing though. *Use at your own peril :cool:* If you keep it horizontal, go get something that will prop it up some so its belly isnt sitting smack against whatever you have it on. The thing is that the 360s little rubber pads that are supposed to prop it up are so damn small that you might only be able to slide a sheet of paper underneath the console, if that. Thats no good as the console will get hot down there and fry itself.

I have used my refurb for gaming so as to save my 2 newer ones and man I have crapped that thing up for hours and its running great.

I proped it up, put four rubber type things I bought at Walmart cheap on all four corners which proped it up about 1/2 an inch, so that air flow can get into all sides, up, down, left right. Just make sure its 100% steady (duh). My cousin went even further and proped his up by 1 inch (maybe even a little more than that) by using some hard foam type padding.

The 360s (mine and his) are wayyyyyyyy cooler now underneath since they are not smacked up against the table(s).

Why dont I go vertical? The way my setup is stuff looks better in the home theater stand.[/QUOTE]

That may have been true in the past but MW2 Elite I got for XMas has enough space that I can slide a CD with slim jewel case under the 360 and while still noisy I cannot say it is heat source like the originals. Even the brick does not get that warm

[quote name='TurboPascal']That may have been true in the past but MW2 Elite I got for XMas has enough space that I can slide a CD with slim jewel case under the 360 and while still noisy I cannot say it is heat source like the originals. Even the brick does not get that warm[/QUOTE]

If you can't slide an XBOX 360 game case under your 360, without it touching the 360, your too close to the table.

I know the Jasper chipsets have been made to run much cooler but I am not taking any chances. The more space and air, the better.

On topic, I have looked for the MW2 bundle at local Walmarts and have seen only one that was $399 still. I felt bad for it because the way the Walmart had it, it really did look like it went through a war (from the way the box was bruised up).

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I know the Jasper chipsets have been made to run much cooler but I am not taking any chances. The more space and air, the better.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I just got a newer system, but I still made sure that I raised the thing off the shelf it's on, and it has plenty of space around it. The 360 was simply fundamentally designed poorly, so they have been patching up a pretty big problem for years. I don't trust them at all. Too bad that the damn system is too much fun.

[quote name='KillSwitch DV8']if you would have read what the op said he stated he checked the shelf tag and no, it is not the price for the elite that is below it.

going to check my wally worlds and hope to get one:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

might have missed the post, but were you able to find one at $299?

I found a system about 10 miles away instock, called them and they said it was a returned item and it was broken.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. I just got a newer system, but I still made sure that I raised the thing off the shelf it's on, and it has plenty of space around it. The 360 was simply fundamentally designed poorly, so they have been patching up a pretty big problem for years. I don't trust them at all. Too bad that the damn system is too much fun.[/QUOTE]

same here, the front of my xbox is propped up on 2 dvd cases to let the air circulate out of the bottom. even then, i only play my xbox from 2-5 hrs and it seems to stay cool.

[quote name='frpilot']same here, the front of my xbox is propped up on 2 dvd cases to let the air circulate out of the bottom. even then, i only play my xbox from 2-5 hrs and it seems to stay cool.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like it could be bad for your discs/disc drive being on a diagonal slant.

[quote name='sealionnn']That sounds like it could be bad for your discs/disc drive being on a diagonal slant.[/QUOTE]
i'm guessing he means one on each side, so the middle can breathe. i highly doubt it's on a slant...

Yeah, that's what I thought, too, because it's almost the same set-up I have, except it is some old CD cases that I taped together into a makeshift stand. Works pretty well. Keeps the system well off the shelf, but doesn't cover up the vents.

bread's done
Back