Leaving discs in consoles?

Heavy-Sixer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to the Wii's user manual you should not leave discs in the console. I''ve always kept discs in my game consoles when they were off so I didn't think twice about it doing the same thing with the Wii (plus I didn't read the manual all the way).

Here's the question: How many people routinely take games out of their consoles when they turn the console off? If so, why?

I only leave discs in Nintendo consoles for some reason (GCN and Wii). Everything else, I take them out since I keep thinking they'll get scratched. I tend to think that Nintendo consoles are less prone to such things.

I leave my games in my PS2, the only time I take them out is if I finish playing it or if I watch a movie. There is always a disc in mine unless I am between games and haven't started a new one.

I currently have discs in all of my active consoles: Wii, 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox, GC. I've never had trouble with my older consoles (PS2, GC, Xbox). I think that it's kind of absurd to put a disc in and take it out again if you are only going to put the same one in again the next time you play. I'm just wondering if this is a habit I should start with my Wii, 360, and PS3.

Always left em in and everything works fine...Only time I take them out is to switch games, if I watch a video, OR if I take them somewhere out of the house into the car.

Didn't the new issue of Nintendo Power say it was OK to leave discs in the Wii? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I've always left games in all of my consoles and I've never had a problem.

On less-advanced reading consoles like GC and DC it's fine but on ones with disc trays like PS2s and Xboxs, Xbox 360, etc. I take 'em out everytime. It can break the system if you dont.

[quote name='Rozz']On less-advanced reading consoles like GC and DC it's fine but on ones with disc trays like PS2s and Xboxs, Xbox 360, etc. I take 'em out everytime. It can break the system if you dont.[/QUOTE]

How can it break the system?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']How can it break the system?[/QUOTE]

It can't as long as the system is stationary. The only time I take games out of my systems is when I want to play something else or if I'm needing to move the system for some reason.

You should never move around a tray loading system with a disc in the system. (I also apply this rule to other slot loading or top loading consoles as well, but that's not nearly as risky.)

[quote name='shipwreck']It can't as long as the system is stationary. The only time I take games out of my systems is when I want to play something else or if I'm needing to move the system for some reason.

You should never move around a tray loading system with a disc in the system. (I also apply this rule to other slot loading or top loading consoles as well, but that's not nearly as risky.)[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand how it can break it if you move it around.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I still don't understand how it can break it if you move it around.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing securing the disc in place, so the disc will be free to move around to a degree inside the system. This means the disc could get severely scratched or worse, the disc could damage the lens or some other component inside your console.

You're probably more likely to scratch a disc if you constantly take it out and put it back in every time you play, actually. (Excepting when you move the console around, which I almost never do.)

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I very rarely leave a disc in the console because I heard it can mess up the laser[/quote]

Someone on another forum said something similar, but I don't know how it would. What would the difference be if it stays in there or you simply put it in once you turn it on?

I'm not really sure how it can mess up the laser and it may not be true but I figure it takes no more than a few seconds to eject the disc and put it back in the case so why take the chance

I don't leave disks in my 360 or Wii because my brother also plays with them, and we have an agreement not to leave our disks in. Neither of us wants to have to put away the other's games.
I usually leave the disks in my other systems that I keep in my room.

yeah i always leave disks in my consoles. why the hell take them out when you know youll play the game again sooner or later.

I never take games out my systems. My 360 has been in the same place for almost the entire time I've had it, so I don't think I have to worry about anything.

Yeah, find me someone who broke their console by leaving a game in it.

As long as you don't move your console you should be fine. I mean I've never heard people say "don't leave a CD in your CD-Rom drive when your PC is off".

It's just like very device you buy that uses batteries says "don't use recharable Batteries".

I leave the disc in the PS2 and the Wii. I also used to leave them in the PS1 and GCN and never had a problem.

What would be the point of being able to turn on/off the console from the controller if you still had to get up and put a disc in or take it out? :dunce:

[quote name='klwillis45']As long as your system is stationary, there is no reason you can't leave a disc in there.[/QUOTE]

That's always been my system as well. Although every now and then I've forgotten and left a disc in my Xbox when I've carted it around. So if you move your system more than once in a blue moon and are forgetful...

I've never taken discs out, except when I move a system. And even that's just a precaution.

Are you supposed to remove discs from laptops when you move them? I don't think you need to, but then I suppose their drives might be made differently.

I'm even more sure you don't need to remove your disc from the PSP to move it :D

I always leave a game in the system, but I'll eject it if I'm moving it to another room or something.

What page was this on in the manual? I read the whole thing, and I don't remember seeing that.

I've always left disc's inside consoles. Never thought of the console being off, and hurting it. I'll take the disc out if I'm moving the console to a friends house or whatever.

[quote name='Vegan']This is about as useful as the thread that asks if you leave your consoles plugged in.[/QUOTE]

and yet you've added so much to this thread. Thank you.

[quote name='yukine']I always leave a game in the system, but I'll eject it if I'm moving it to another room or something.

What page was this on in the manual? I read the whole thing, and I don't remember seeing that.[/quote]
On page 10 of the Wii Operations Manual: System Setup, there is a blue box with the title "Wii Console Usage Precautions." The box contains a bulleted list of items along with the warning: "Please read and follow the precautions listed below when setting up and using the Wii console. Failure to do so may result in damage to your Wii system or accessories."

Item number 4 in the blue box says:

"After you have finished playing, be sure to remove the Game Disc from the console."

My original PS2 gave me problems when I left my discs in. The discs would still play fine, but they would end up having some kind of dusty, cloudy look to them. So I never left my games in that PS2 since it happened to two of my discs. Every other console i've just left them in.

The more you put the disk in and take it out the more scratches its going to have...

As for moving it with a disk in it, I can't see how a few grams of plastic are going to damage anything on the console-- atleast, not while its off. However, it could still scratch the disk itself.

The only games I take out when I'm done with are cartridges. I've heard leaving games in an NES is hard on the springs (which I doubt) but the metal on metal for hours/days/months in humidity is definitely a bad idea.

[quote name='6669']I always leave them in, but when I eject a Wii disc, it comes out really warm.[/QUOTE]

I know, I put a chocolate chip cookie in and when I ejected it it was all warm and gooey!

[quote name='pinoy530']My original PS2 gave me problems when I left my discs in. The discs would still play fine, but they would end up having some kind of dusty, cloudy look to them. So I never left my games in that PS2 since it happened to two of my discs. Every other console i've just left them in.[/quote]
I've noticed the same thing. I'll leave a GC disc in the console, but the PS2 discs are removed.

[quote name='pinoy530']My original PS2 gave me problems when I left my discs in. The discs would still play fine, but they would end up having some kind of dusty, cloudy look to them. So I never left my games in that PS2 since it happened to two of my discs. Every other console i've just left them in.[/QUOTE]

I never had that problem. I had my PS2 horizontally, if that means anything.

[quote name='Kayden']The more you put the disk in and take it out the more scratches its going to have...[/quote]

I've never gotten any scratches on any disc from taking it out of a drive. Shouldn't scratch just from normal use like that.

The only games I take out when I'm done with are cartridges. I've heard leaving games in an NES is hard on the springs (which I doubt) but the metal on metal for hours/days/months in humidity is definitely a bad idea.

Good point. I always took my NES games out too-think I did that with my SNES as well. Ironically it's the Saturn and newer that I don't do that with.

I wonder if I should be removing games from my DS? I never thought of that before...

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I wonder if I should be removing games from my DS? I never thought of that before...[/quote]

No, I'm pretty sure Nintendo encourages leaving a game in the system. Their manual said it prevents dust and other small particles from getting into the system.

[quote name='6669']I always leave them in, but when I eject a Wii disc, it comes out really warm.[/quote]

I have two Wiis, and I put a gamecube game in each and when I get home from work I pull both gamecube games out and put them on my eyes and I go right to sleep.

So Relaxing! :D

[quote name='yukine']No, I'm pretty sure Nintendo encourages leaving a game in the system. Their manual said it prevents dust and other small particles from getting into the system.[/QUOTE]Yes... also by the very nature of a portable system you know it's fine to move it around with a game inside. So you have very little to worry about.

On home consoles you MIGHT be able to make a case, since they do have those flaps that cover up the opening when a cartridge is not inserted. But as yukine said, on a DS you'd just have an open space for dust to collect in, and you wouldn't want that. For the same reason I always keep a GBA game in my DS's gameboy slot, even if I don't plan on playing it.

bread's done
Back