LED vs LCD vs PLASMA - Which is the better HDTV format?

Yeah I think the key word in his statement was "in the right setting and calibrated correctly." Which to me pretty much means plasma as the main room TV, LCDs everywhere else.

[quote name='HeadRusch']The only technology that does not burn in is DLP. Plasmas are next for Image Retention and Burn-In (the permanent version of Image Retention), then CRT Projectors and Tubes (which nobody uses anymore) and finally LCD's.

My LCD 37" set has burn in.....yep, it does, its there and its permanent. It's also about six years old and there is the ghostly image of my Mozilla web browser stuck there, but i only shows up on light greys...the darker the grey the less you see the image so, mostly, its invisible..only during some games will the screen take on a medium-gray color and the ghostly images of my little tab icons appear :)

I'm still trying to figure out when I stupidly left a web browser up for a length of time sufficient enough to permanently align the LCD crystals :p Dunno....but I did it, and its LCD so.....be smart :)

I've never had a problem with burn-in on my plasma but I have seen Image Retention and it goes away within minutes. The big problem with Plasmas is that the current models, particularly those from Panasonic who are always on sale, seem to be having an issue with brightening of black levels over time, and nobody seems to know why its happening. In other words, they are losing their ability to produce a deeper black over time. No doubt its why we are seeing 58" plasmas for like $1100 bucks......not sure if that is only the Panasonics but also the Samsung/Insignias too....either way, I have gamed almost 10 years now on my 65" CRT based RPTV....a technology that always was prone to burn in...and I still dont have any.

That set is about to get trashed...its been good to me, but nobody wants a 65" 350lb monolith that requires convergence every few weeks anymore :) But that technology was burn-in prone, and with a little common sense I managed to avoid troubles.

Keep your contrast and brightness numbers lower in the range and you'll be good to go....[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised that DLP isn't more popular. I got a 60 inch DLP and the clarity on the TV is impressive. Much cheaper than either LCD or Plasma too.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Plasma produces the best picture, but some people complain that if you sit too close you can see pixels. They also use more energy, they throw off heat, and they are the technology most likely to suffer image retention.

LED local dimming sets (the thicker LED sets) are the best you can buy right now, but they have some of their own issues, one being price....those are the ones that replace the CCFL bulbs with individual clusters of LED lights behind the screen so they aren't paper-thin, they are thicker like the LCD sets we've all become accustomed to.

Edge Lit LED sets are more gimmick for being super thin, they suffer from hot-spotting but they are thin and light and easily moved around. They have better color pop than CCFL LCD sets but they also suffer from edge-brightness issues, because they are edge lit on a pure black screen the edges are usually brighter...if you watch with some lights on this usually wont be noticeable however.

And I hate to tell you this but DLP still throws an incredible picture. YOu do realize that right now you can get a fully 3D ready 73" Mitsubishi for just over a grand, right? You can get a 60 inch DLP for a mere 600 bucks (!). Plus they are 3D ready...add the optional 3D box and glasses and you've got a screen big enough where 3D actually matters.

Oh yeah and if you buy ANY kind of LCD, please remember to check the input lag for those sets......some of them, even today, have bad input lag.[/QUOTE]

The backlit LEDs are think too, at least the Samsung and LG models are. Even many Samsung plasmas nowadays are super think.

And while DLP does ghrough a great picture, there are limited viewing angles, and the blubs burn out too fast.

[quote name='2DMention']If something is 120Hz refresh, does that mean you don't have to calibrate in Rock Band?

I played an old system on someone's HD at a gathering 3 years ago and it had lag problems playing Saturn.[/QUOTE]
You were experiencing two things, upscaling lag and post processing lag.

You can learn about both of them in the links in my sig.

[quote name='Linkgx1']The backlit LEDs are think too, at least the Samsung and LG models are. Even many Samsung plasmas nowadays are super think.

And while DLP does ghrough a great picture, there are limited viewing angles, and the blubs burn out too fast.[/QUOTE]

Well I mean they aren't AS thin as edge-lit, some of those Edge Lit ones are like laptop-display thin.....I jsut got a Sharp edge-lit model (for the low input lag) and its a little on the thicker-side, for an edge-lit LED. I think the thinnest I've seen are the LG ones.

Funny how our standards change...a few years ago Plasmas and LCD's that are like 4-5" thick were considered "OMG YOU CAN HANG IT ON A WALL!" ;)

[quote name='JohnMasterLee']I'm surprised that DLP isn't more popular. I got a 60 inch DLP and the clarity on the TV is impressive. Much cheaper than either LCD or Plasma too.[/QUOTE]

DLP was very popular in the early 2000's, back when all TV's were thick. DLP's advantage was always size for price. Disadvantages, as stated by others in this thread, were limited viewing angles, so-so performance in brightly-lit rooms (this is all RPTV's, DLP, CRT, whatever) and of course having to change the bulbs.

DLP is still very popular in Front Projection, which really if you are going to buy a TV that is 70" and up, its time to start thinking about a Front Projector.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Well I mean they aren't AS thin as edge-lit, some of those Edge Lit ones are like laptop-display thin.....I jsut got a Sharp edge-lit model (for the low input lag) and its a little on the thicker-side, for an edge-lit LED. I think the thinnest I've seen are the LG ones.

Funny how our standards change...a few years ago Plasmas and LCD's that are like 4-5" thick were considered "OMG YOU CAN HANG IT ON A WALL!" ;)[/QUOTE]
Why did you get an edgelit model? Don't those have uniformity issues?

[quote name='Linkgx1']Why did you get an edgelit model? Don't those have uniformity issues?[/QUOTE]

Good question, see if this answer makes sense to you.

I actually bought the set on a whim....I'd been thinking about dumping my 65" CRT set for a long time, but never got around to doing it. I have a couple of DLP projectors that I use for real movie watching, or if I'm in the mood to do gaming for a long stretch.....this set was more for watching TV, playing some games, whenever I didn't feel like firing up the projector. It likely wont be used much for movie watching, so the issue with edge-lit sets having brighter edges or corners was less of a concern to me.

I was looking at those 58" Plasmas that have been on sale lately, and almost bought one, but then started reading up on the issue with modern Panny Plasmas having an issue with black levels that fade fairly rapidly this past model year and it kind of made me wonder if that is why they were blowing them out so cheap, so I decided to pass. I also didn't want to spend a ton of cash, so i was bargain hunting.

All the big and cheap LCD models seemed to have terrible input lag, so i stopped looking at like Vizios and the Brand X stuff they sell at walmart........and then one day, boom, Dell put this set on sale.

1) Its a Sharp Aquos, and Sharp is known to have the lowest input lag of all lcd manufacturers.

2) It was LED lit for the same money you could get a decent CcFL model lit ($1200 on sale), which meant it was cheaper to operate, it was going to have marginally better blacks, and it was going to be thinner and lighter.

I was like "Wow, thats exactly what I wanted, and its $500 off" so I jumped in.

I'm glad I did, it really its a beautiful set. its not the thinnest edge-lit model I'd ever seen, but its thin enough....and getting rid fo that huge monolith 65" set is a real relief, plus the picture quality on this set really is impressive.

I wasn't concerned about uniformity issues or getting 'even better black levels' with a higher end unit, nor was i concerned about stuff like Internet Apps and wireless stuff, because my PC and game boxes are right there.....so for me, Edge Lit was really what I was after.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Good question, see if this answer makes sense to you.

I actually bought the set on a whim....I'd been thinking about dumping my 65" CRT set for a long time, but never got around to doing it. I have a couple of DLP projectors that I use for real movie watching, or if I'm in the mood to do gaming for a long stretch.....this set was more for watching TV, playing some games, whenever I didn't feel like firing up the projector. It likely wont be used much for movie watching, so the issue with edge-lit sets having brighter edges or corners was less of a concern to me.

I was looking at those 58" Plasmas that have been on sale lately, and almost bought one, but then started reading up on the issue with modern Panny Plasmas having an issue with black levels that fade fairly rapidly this past model year and it kind of made me wonder if that is why they were blowing them out so cheap, so I decided to pass. I also didn't want to spend a ton of cash, so i was bargain hunting.

All the big and cheap LCD models seemed to have terrible input lag, so i stopped looking at like Vizios and the Brand X stuff they sell at walmart........and then one day, boom, Dell put this set on sale.

1) Its a Sharp Aquos, and Sharp is known to have the lowest input lag of all lcd manufacturers.

2) It was LED lit for the same money you could get a decent CcFL model lit ($1200 on sale), which meant it was cheaper to operate, it was going to have marginally better blacks, and it was going to be thinner and lighter.

I was like "Wow, thats exactly what I wanted, and its $500 off" so I jumped in.

I'm glad I did, it really its a beautiful set. its not the thinnest edge-lit model I'd ever seen, but its thin enough....and getting rid fo that huge monolith 65" set is a real relief, plus the picture quality on this set really is impressive.

I wasn't concerned about uniformity issues or getting 'even better black levels' with a higher end unit, nor was i concerned about stuff like Internet Apps and wireless stuff, because my PC and game boxes are right there.....so for me, Edge Lit was really what I was after.[/QUOTE]
I see. Well, for me I'm using it for everything so I'm not exactly sure what I should do .

Here's what I've been looking at in Sams Club.

This Samsung (my fav brand)

This LG Infina

or this Plasma

Having a though time though.

Well you can always get that 73" Mitsubishi DLP set for $1200 shipped, its on sale again at TigerDirect :D

I think the LG Infinias are the sets that are paper-thin......but I couldn't find out how they were in terms of gaming, and I'd be wary of the Samsung because those are known to have 'gaming modes' that can sometimes barely work, it all depends on the model of the TV.

It does kind of suck shopping for sets now, you can't just buy on the lowest price.....you could find a great set and then find out it sucks for gaming, etc, etc. But that is LCD's. Plasmas wont give you that issue.

I gotta be honest, out of your list there, I'd get the 50" Plasma. Its the biggest, its the cheapest, and you know you wont have lag issues with your inputs on the games. Image Retention, you turn on the orbiter or whatever technology the TV uses, you turn down the brightness and contrast and get used to playing it that way for the first couple of months, and then hope for the best.

The LG Infinia is *too expensive* for that price and size, the Samsung would be more what I would expect to pay for a 47" LED backed set......but I'd check into how its input lag was doing, some Samsung sets are atrocious.

Good Luck!

[quote name='Linkgx1']I see. Well, for me I'm using it for everything so I'm not exactly sure what I should do .

Here's what I've been looking at in Sams Club.

This Samsung (my fav brand)

This LG Infina

or this Plasma

Having a though time though.[/QUOTE]

Whichever you pick, just make sure to pick this calibration blu ray disc, it's worth its weight in gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video...LST0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293475722&sr=8-1

Just make sure to have plenty of time to do the calibration before starting it, it does take a little bit of patience.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Well you can always get that 73" Mitsubishi DLP set for $1200 shipped, its on sale again at TigerDirect :D

I think the LG Infinias are the sets that are paper-thin......but I couldn't find out how they were in terms of gaming, and I'd be wary of the Samsung because those are known to have 'gaming modes' that can sometimes barely work, it all depends on the model of the TV.

It does kind of suck shopping for sets now, you can't just buy on the lowest price.....you could find a great set and then find out it sucks for gaming, etc, etc. But that is LCD's. Plasmas wont give you that issue.

I gotta be honest, out of your list there, I'd get the 50" Plasma. Its the biggest, its the cheapest, and you know you wont have lag issues with your inputs on the games. Image Retention, you turn on the orbiter or whatever technology the TV uses, you turn down the brightness and contrast and get used to playing it that way for the first couple of months, and then hope for the best.

The LG Infinia is *too expensive* for that price and size, the Samsung would be more what I would expect to pay for a 47" LED backed set......but I'd check into how its input lag was doing, some Samsung sets are atrocious.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing.the plasma does provide the best value.the samsung is cool but I get less real estate. I saw a 3d dlp tv @dell for 600 so thats tempting.I'm still debating

So LED is the best choice for a simple gaming monitor?

Hoping prices drop on those sometime in January. The best I can find is a 23 in. Samsung for $280.

I'd assume anything in that price range is a TN panel, that's...okay, but nowhere near as good as an IPS or MVA/PVA.

Of presumably similar quality, I got a 24" Dell ST2420L a few weeks back for $190ish. Good for what it is, but TN is TN.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']I currently own a DLP and after my 2nd light bulb change in 6 years, I am ready to move on to a different HDTV format.

Since we all use our TV's for gaming and movies, what is the better format in your preference?

Also, does anyone have 3D HDTV's? If so, what format do you have or think is best?[/QUOTE]

LED is a good option to have. Plasma have a good image quality but Plasma uses more energy. There is no permanent burn-in danger in LCD. I have purchased Samsung LE46C530 46'' Series 5 LCD Television from HiSpek for gaming. If money isn't an issue then LED seems a better option.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. I have a permanent burn-in on a 26" LCD that I used for gaming. The HUD of the game I played is now visible on very light scenes. Its burned in, its not image retention, it is permanently damaged pixels. It will never go away.

I have a 58" Samsung Plasma that I bought from Amazon last year. It reflects ambient light like a mirror but my HT is in the basement so that was not an issue. I also game on it and have absolutely no worries of burn in. Those stupid logos that networks show constantly are more of a concern than any game I'm playing.

As far as picture quality, the plasma is beautiful to watch. it almost seems like you are watching the world from a window in your house....its that good.

I also have permanent "burn in" on the 37" 1080p monitor I've been using for 5 years.....its just with LCD's I think its more the luck of the draw since it isn't light that is causing the problem, its electrical current going through the crystals on the panel. With Plasmas you know how to and can deliberately cause burn in or image retention.

Still in this day and age it comes down to using your set smartly......contrast and brightness at reasonable levels, etc.

[quote name='Whizbang']

Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. I have a permanent burn-in on a 26" LCD that I used for gaming. The HUD of the game I played is now visible on very light scenes. Its burned in, its not image retention, it is permanently damaged pixels. It will never go away.

I have a 58" Samsung Plasma that I bought from Amazon last year. It reflects ambient light like a mirror but my HT is in the basement so that was not an issue. I also game on it and have absolutely no worries of burn in. Those stupid logos that networks show constantly are more of a concern than any game I'm playing.

As far as picture quality, the plasma is beautiful to watch. it almost seems like you are watching the world from a window in your house....its that good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HeadRusch']I also have permanent "burn in" on the 37" 1080p monitor I've been using for 5 years.....its just with LCD's I think its more the luck of the draw since it isn't light that is causing the problem, its electrical current going through the crystals on the panel. With Plasmas you know how to and can deliberately cause burn in or image retention.

Still in this day and age it comes down to using your set smartly......contrast and brightness at reasonable levels, etc.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. How is that even possible? I've never seen nor heard of that before (and own a ton of LCD screens) and then two people in the same thread :lol: Must be severely defective or something. What brand were they? Heck, I forget and leave stuff on the same screen overnight or at work or whatever, and it makes no difference.

Basically LCD's work by having voltage applied to them. Sometimes the crystals don't lose their alignment and you get a ghosting image, but the interesting thing is that the ghost image will appear only when certain colors are applied.

Example, on an all black screen or all white screen, you see no burn in. But on a dark to medium grey, the GHOOoooOOooOooSTLY Image of my old mozilla screen will appear! :D its hysterical! And because its on medium grey it only appears occasionally in some games, and that is usually in cutscenes or in dark skies...etc......but it is there and its fleeting so its not like I have to trash the display.

Some screens show that in black screens, etc...i'm lucky mine only shows in grey.

SUPPOSEDLY with LCD's if you unplug the set for a long time and allow the capacitors in the unit that still hold a charge to dissipate with time, the image will disappear...or by rapidly changing the colors on the LCD that you can sort of 'shake loose' the images.........i've tried the pixel-approach, didn't work. I've also tried the unplugging thing, but 24 hours didn't do it and I use the monitor every day so....

This is what has happened to my LG LCD....I have no freakin idea how. Hopefully I'll be able to harass Best Buy into replacing/fixing it.

DSC02774.jpg

My Mom & Dad's 40" Samsung LCD has the same sort of image. Its like a dark line down a third of the screen. I assumed it was a line of dead pixels but its not what I would consider dead pixels. Its really a ghost of a shadow....very similar to your pic.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Basically LCD's work by having voltage applied to them. Sometimes the crystals don't lose their alignment and you get a ghosting image, but the interesting thing is that the ghost image will appear only when certain colors are applied.

Example, on an all black screen or all white screen, you see no burn in. But on a dark to medium grey, the GHOOoooOOooOooSTLY Image of my old mozilla screen will appear! :D its hysterical! And because its on medium grey it only appears occasionally in some games, and that is usually in cutscenes or in dark skies...etc......but it is there and its fleeting so its not like I have to trash the display.

Some screens show that in black screens, etc...i'm lucky mine only shows in grey.

SUPPOSEDLY with LCD's if you unplug the set for a long time and allow the capacitors in the unit that still hold a charge to dissipate with time, the image will disappear...or by rapidly changing the colors on the LCD that you can sort of 'shake loose' the images.........i've tried the pixel-approach, didn't work. I've also tried the unplugging thing, but 24 hours didn't do it and I use the monitor every day so....[/QUOTE]

What brand is this? I've been using LCD monitors since 2003, and have never seen or heard of anything like that. With the way the tech works...well that would have to be a really serious screw up, I'd think...right?

[quote name='HeadRusch']That, to me, looks like the back-lighting has failed for the panel on 1/3 of the screen.......[/QUOTE]

Yeah, or there's something in there with the screen :lol:

My set is a 1st generation Westinghouse 37" 1080p Monitor....its years old already and I bought it at $999 as a refurb to use as a PC monitor. Don't know when the damage occurred (i even tried looking at the ghostly image to see if I could figure it out, but its not that clear).

It still happens, its just not usual....LCD's however are not immune to "image retention". DLP's are the only ones because of the way they work that are truly immune, and I suppose even there a tiny mirror could fail....but then you wouldn't see a ghost image, you'd just see a bright or dark spot because the mirror can't turn off.

I've almost replaced it a couple times now that new 1080p displays are cheaper, but 42" is probably too big for a desktop and, frankly, all the new displays are TV's that introduce input lag...this is a straight up monitor, no or low-enough-to-not-be-perceivable input lag......

Well, no offense but I've used a lot of LCD TVs/monitors, but all of them with quality panels, and I've done a lot of things with them that would cause burn in if it were possible on these. Maybe it is somehow possible on the reject panels, but I don't know... on quality panels even displaying the same thing for hours or days on end has no effect.

No offense taken. You're one guy with one experience, but you are wrong. Google it, I'm not making it up. It happens. SUPPOSEDLY it can be corrected by letting the panel's completely discharge all voltage, but that means having to discharge all the capacitors inside the set which can take, well, a very long time unplugged. Some people claim the crystals themselves permanently re-align and forever hold that image unless voltage applied proves otherwise...dunno man. It exists, and I am glad you have never experienced it!

Here's something from gizmondo that shows the effect, sort of...

http://gizmodo.com/292842/lcd-burn+in-exists-and-it-isnt-pretty

I don't know though...that basically says "turn it off or play snow for a while" which isn't the same thing as burn in, and I wonder if it can actually happen with quality panels. I mean I've seen plasma and CRTs in certain types of use with horrible burn in, but I've never seen an LCD with anything at all.

I tried the "pixel explosion" apps that exist to "un-stick stuck pixels" but this isn't the same thing, (eg: i tried the play-snow stuff, it didn't work). I may just have to leave the panel unplugged for a few days or even a few weeks, I suppose I could downsize to something smaller...but in the end....its like a six year old panel, maybe even seven....and I dont notice it at all except occasionally in games when that neutral grey is up.

technically you can do the same thing with plasmas, play snow...but really all you are doing there is causing the plasma pixels to "age quickly" so they dim down enough so the burn-in isn't noticeable anymore which is kind of...well...defeating the purpose....but thats what you had to do for CRT's as well...

Either way, in the end no technology is perfect.

Plasma delivers the richest picture, but I haven't seen many talk about the most important problems with these sets: lighting. If your room's lit by a lot of lights or windows, like many living rooms, plasma is not for you, unless you don't mind glare. If not, get yourself a big Panasonic. :) (Low-end sets are not worth it.)

Otherwise, get yourself an LCD. Get a Samsung. At the price, I wouldn't bother with LED unless thinness and 3D are important to you, but 3D technology is still changing and even the tech we use today will probably replaced soon, so I wouldn't buy a set on that consideration alone.

(Caveat: Speaking of TVs, not monitors.)

Yeah, I don't know how I'd do for brightness with a plasma. All my rooms get really bright during the day. Can't use the Wii (or presumably Project Shitbox either).

[quote name='newb']Plasma delivers the richest picture, but I haven't seen many talk about the most important problems with these sets: lighting. If your room's lit by a lot of lights or windows, like many living rooms, plasma is not for you, unless you don't mind glare. If not, get yourself a big Panasonic. :) (Low-end sets are not worth it.)

Otherwise, get yourself an LCD. Get a Samsung. At the price, I wouldn't bother with LED unless thinness and 3D are important to you, but 3D technology is still changing and even the tech we use today will probably replaced soon, so I wouldn't buy a set on that consideration alone.

(Caveat: Speaking of TVs, not monitors.)[/QUOTE]LED backlight LCDs with local dimming will give plasma more than a run for its money, if it's a well-designed panel. Some LED sets like that have a banding issue, though the PQ I've seen on my LG 55LE8500 is nothing short of stunning and easily a match for most plasmas I've seen compared to it. The banding issue on my set is so insignificant, I pretty much never see it.

Frankly from what I've heard, if anyone here has the money I'd recommend the LG 768p OLED that has been launched in Europe.
That was SUPPOSED to be launched here already. Who knows what happened to it.

There is two LCD and one LED LCD television in my house right now. I like the LED LCD clarity, but after we move I will just get a Plasma for my daughter...she likes touching the screen and a 3D TV for the livingroom.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I don't know how I'd do for brightness with a plasma. All my rooms get really bright during the day. Can't use the Wii (or presumably Project Shitbox either).[/QUOTE]

wait, are you saying that the wii does not work on plasma or are you saying that you cannot play the wii because your rooms get really bright during the day? neither makes any sense to me, but id like to know which you are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wii works fine on all displays....a bright room can interfere with the WII's infra-red wiimote motion sensing..

[quote name='ctrek3']so no answer back to my above post?[/QUOTE]
He was referring to the long-held belief that plasmas aren't bright enough for brightly lit rooms, or that the glass screens have issues with glare.

Both are non-issues as far as I'm concerned. They're plenty bright, and while a glass screen will reflect ambient light better than a matte screen, it's certainly no worse than the CRTs we were all using for years (not to mention that many LCDs also have glass screens).

Plasma, you won't have to do much research before finding that plasma always rates as the best display technology among videophiles and top reviewers. In fact many of the "features" (i.e. 240hz, wide viewing angles, anti-reflective screens) found in LEDs and LCDs were developed with the sole intent of producing a plasma like picture and viewing experience.

I suggest checking out the AVS forums of the Hi Def forum for more info.

[quote name='whitecastle']There is two LCD and one LED LCD television in my house right now. I like the LED LCD clarity, but after we move I will just get a Plasma for my daughter...she likes touching the screen and a 3D TV for the livingroom.[/QUOTE]

What?

Plasma. For some reason I cannot watch any type of LCD TV. I see trailing shadows.

Burn in does not exist for today's Plasma televisions.

Yeah it does, it's just supposedly much less risky than it used to be. I continue to wonder whether playing a lot of non-16:9 content can cause issues... I don't see how it couldn't, but...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah it does, it's just supposedly much less risky than it used to be. I continue to wonder whether playing a lot of non-16:9 content can cause issues... I don't see how it couldn't, but...[/QUOTE]
It will. The question is, how long before it's a problem? The phosphors do age, so if you're watching a lot of 4:3 content those sidebars won't be ageing as fast as the rest of the screen (the same applies with movies shot in scope). That's why some (most?) plasmas have an option to set the sidebars to a color other than black.

bread's done
Back