Left 4 Dead Free Play for 24 hours! May 1st

"The catch? The offer's only good for a 24-hour period, and once that 24 hours is up, the "free" game will be locked, and you'll need to pay up to play up."

Only 24 hours? Maybe next time, this friday I won't have much time to play. :cry:

[quote name='Scorch']No reason to buy it afterwards -- the game takes about 5 hours to beat, if that.[/quote]

What, did you play it by yourself?

This seems like a great way to give people a preview of what is probably one of the best online games currently available.

How long will the download take though? I mean I hate to be sitting around trying to download gigs of a game while I can be playing something else

This'll be a good test to see if my laptop can run the game, if it works well I may buy it... huge maybe though, but the PC community would be a lot better than the 360's that's for sure.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']This'll be a good test to see if my laptop can run the game, if it works well I may buy it... huge maybe though, but the PC community would be a lot better than the 360's that's for sure.[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm doing too. I play all the time on 360, and most of my friends only play on 360, but I'll double dip on this game. I only hadn't picked it up already because I didn't get a PC that could play games until about a month ago, and the L4D demo was taken down when the game released, and I wanted to make sure it would run fine before I bought it. If the speculation that L4D will be on sale this weekend as well to coincide with this is true, that'll be even better.

12:01:00 a.m. Friday May 1, 2009 in GMT converts to
07:01:00 p.m. Thursday April 30, 2009 in US/Central
Source

Very peculiar time to have it... Am I missing something?

Also, here is the official announcement:
Beginning Friday at 12:01 am GMT, the PC version of Left 4 Dead will be available for a free 24-hour trial via Steam. The free trial will include access to the recently released Survival Pack DLC, which introduces a new multiplayer game mode and two additional Versus campaigns. Those who wish to give L4D and the Survival Pack a try may now pre-load everything needed to play with no obligation to purchase.

[quote name='SuxoR']How long will the download take though? I mean I hate to be sitting around trying to download gigs of a game while I can be playing something else[/quote]

haven't used Steam in a long time (my brother uses it mostly for Day Of Defeat : Source )

but i did just finish "pre-loading" Left 4 Dead , it only took about an hour and a half

it should work just like any other Steam preloads (if i remember right) , ready to play on Friday woohoo!

Edit: oh crap i just remembered , if you don't have another Source-powered game don't you need to download the whole Source engine or something like that? i remember reading that somewhere........

Last edited by a moderator:
LFD is a lame ass game. It takes about an hour each level and have the same 4 super zombies. I sold it a week after I bought it. If you want a great zombie game download Siren blood curse

[quote name='slickkill77']What, did you play it by yourself?[/quote]

Some people think getting from Point A to Point B is all a game is about. This is why the industry is in the sorry shape it's in now. People don't look for replay value/fun stuff/exploration/playing with friends, just how long til credits roll.

[quote name='GoAWAYImBaiting']LFD is a lame ass game. It takes about an hour each level and have the same 4 super zombies. I sold it a week after I bought it. If you want a great zombie game download Siren blood curse[/quote] Edit for integrity - Get the fuck out of my state. Go to Ohio, seriously.

Here is proof.

Now heres my rant:

Sports game X is a lame ass game. All I did was play a match and it was the same as last years!

Shooter Game Y is a lame ass game. All I did was keep pushing the trigger button then walking forward, with the same four grayscale enemies attacking me. I did this in the last five!

Fighter Game Z..

Etc. Etc.

*facepalm*

Anyways, I jumped on the Amazon deal for the game. Sad thing is my bastard friends never make up their mind, so half are on 360, half on PC. :/

[quote name='Scorch']No reason to buy it afterwards -- the game takes about 5 hours to beat, if that.[/quote]

It's not really a game that you "beat".

Do some of you guys play multiplayer games by yourselves? This game is awesome with friends. Playing it alone, well, the title is very fitting.

[quote name='GoAWAYImBaiting']LFD is a lame ass game. It takes about an hour each level and have the same 4 super zombies. I sold it a week after I bought it. If you want a great zombie game download Siren blood curse[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Scorch']No reason to buy it afterwards -- the game takes about 5 hours to beat, if that.[/QUOTE]

2d19xf6.jpg

Wish I had a real video card in my computer.... Mine died like 4 years ago and I replaced it with a dirt cheap card that offered not much more than video out. It's just fine for video and stuff but that was the day I gave up PC gaming.

Let us have a moment of silence......

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']This'll be a good test to see if my laptop can run the game, if it works well I may buy it... huge maybe though, but the PC community would be a lot better than the 360's that's for sure.[/quote]
it has a demo out on steam...

[quote name='GoAWAYImBaiting']LFD is a lame ass game. It takes about an hour each level and have the same 4 super zombies. I sold it a week after I bought it. If you want a great zombie game download Siren blood curse[/QUOTE]

Bahahahaaaaaaa .... ha ..h ..oh wait you were serious ... L4D is like Counterstrike but with more team aspects, so it's kind of like Team Fortress ... but not ... but yeah, totally different vibe than Siren and all based on your love of the multiplayer, so the level length is somewhat irrelevant. Granted I do agree they need more maps, more unique zombies and a few new survivors to spice things up ... but I'll be anxiously awaiting the first true expansion (and no, the big Update wasn't a true expansion in my opinion)

[quote name='Tsukento']Almost raged until I saw his name.

GoAWAYImBaiting --> Baiting for suckers --> Troll[/QUOTE]
Actually it's a quote from the movie Idiocracy. Talking about masturbating.

If you're playing L4D for the single player, you're doing it wrong

Hopefully this will expose more people to the game and get them to buy it

I think it's funny that everyone jumps on people for wanting to play a single player game, and not multi-player. I like some multi-player games, however I can't stand all of the team-killing, screaming-in-the-mic players, etc. If you have a group of friends to play with, it's different, but general multiplayer can be annoying.

Shouldn't games have a good SP? If they're going to skimp on the SP, then just make it a MP game like Warhawk and be done with it.

In either case, L4D isn't a bad SP game, but I agree that it's better for MP.

[quote name='imfromwisconsin']I think it's funny that everyone jumps on people for wanting to play a single player game, and not multi-player. I like some multi-player games, however I can't stand all of the team-killing, screaming-in-the-mic players, etc. If you have a group of friends to play with, it's different, but general multiplayer can be annoying.

Shouldn't games have a good SP? If they're going to skimp on the SP, then just make it a MP game like Warhawk and be done with it.

In either case, L4D isn't a bad SP game, but I agree that it's better for MP.[/quote]

Honestly, Left4Dead has one of the better online communities, I've never been teamkilled/had the annoying kids screaming in my mic.

[quote name='georox']Honestly, Left4Dead has one of the better online communities, I've never been teamkilled/had the annoying kids screaming in my mic.[/quote]
When I played it on the 360 at a buddy's place there were tons of 12 year olds on that throwing out all sorts of crap. Don't have the same problem on the PC though.

Guess it would make sense that they would offer a free preview now that they finally FINISHED THE DAMN GAME (released the last 2 VS maps). Well, that's not quite accurate since they still haven't released the SDK, once that's out I'd consider it 100%, then anything else after that is expansion content (do get credit for Survival mode, though from what I've played I don't think it's going to have much longevity).

*end rant*

[quote name='imfromwisconsin']I think it's funny that everyone jumps on people for wanting to play a single player game, and not multi-player. I like some multi-player games, however I can't stand all of the team-killing, screaming-in-the-mic players, etc. If you have a group of friends to play with, it's different, but general multiplayer can be annoying.

In either case, L4D isn't a bad SP game, but I agree that it's better for MP.[/quote]

It's one thing to have that opinion about games. It's another thing entirely to say, "Don't get this! It's like 5 hours long!" when that's not the game that it's intended to be and everyone knows it.

[quote name='jp0213']When I played it on the 360 at a buddy's place there were tons of 12 year olds on that throwing out all sorts of crap. Don't have the same problem on the PC though.[/quote]

This is pretty much why I gave up on the game. I played it a couple of times online on the 360, and it was nothing but little kids who wouldn't shut the fuck up or were screwing up on purpose...or just really sucked...I couldn't tell. Yeah, you can get a party together or whatever, but sometimes, I just wanna be able to turn a game on and play. This is really a fun game, but the fact that most of the fun is had online kind killed this one for me. If I get in a mood to play a game, I don't wanna have to find other people that actually want to play right. I really don't know what motivated me to get this for the 360, anyway. Might have to test the waters with the PC community.

[quote name='Vegan']It's one thing to have that opinion about games. It's another thing entirely to say, "Don't get this! It's like 5 hours long!" when that's not the game that it's intended to be and everyone knows it.[/quote]

Exactly. Having an opinion is one thing. Saying something that is completely incorrect is another. This game is not five hours long, unless you rush through the four maps with bots. It's a multi-player game.

[quote name='georox']
Edit for integrity - Get the fuck out of my state. Go to Ohio, seriously.[/quote]
No thanks man, he's all yours.

I'm stuck on my less than gaming-worthy laptop most of the year, since it's a pain in the ass to drag my PC between Cleveland and New Orleans. So, I'm waiting for the 360 version to drop in price; I want this game bad but I can't justify spending $50 on a single game anymore.

[quote name='Pirate331']No thanks man, he's all yours.

I'm stuck on my less than gaming-worthy laptop most of the year, since it's a pain in the ass to drag my PC between Cleveland and New Orleans. So, I'm waiting for the 360 version to drop in price; I want this game bad but I can't justify spending $50 on a single game anymore.[/quote]

No, you can take him. We give him to you.

...Take him damnit!

I preloaded the game, but how do I get it to play? It's asking me to purchase the game?

Sorry, I have very little experience with Steam...:whistle2:?

I already have the game, but it's probably asking you to purchase the game as an online sales technique, just click "No" if you don't want to purchase the game and the game should just load up with all the features unlocked (For 24 hours).

Go to your "My Games" Tab and just double click! It's that easy!

[quote name='kilm']I already have the game, but it's probably asking you to purchase the game as an online sales technique, just click "No" if you don't want to purchase the game and the game should just load up with all the features unlocked (For 24 hours).

Go to your "My Games" Tab and just double click! It's that easy![/quote]

It actually doesn't even ask you that much. You simply have to double click on it after you pre-load. I just played through it in about an hour.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It actually doesn't even ask you that much. You simply have to double click on it after you pre-load. I just played through it in about an hour.[/QUOTE]

I preloaded it, but cant find it.

[quote name='jza1218']I preloaded it, but cant find it.[/quote]

You have to load up Steam, log in, and then find the "My Games" Tab. You could also go to the menu bar near the Title Bar and under "View" look towards the bottom end of the menu to "My Games."

Then you should be able to find it no problems if you preloaded it through Steam!

[quote name='kilm']You have to load up Steam, log in, and then find the "My Games" Tab. You could also go to the menu bar near the Title Bar and under "View" look towards the bottom end of the menu to "My Games."

Then you should be able to find it no problems if you preloaded it through Steam![/QUOTE]

I found it, but I keep getting told I have to purchase it.

That's probably an online sales technique. Are you sure you are loading the game up from the Steam Client under "My Games" under the section "Installed?"

[quote name='kilm']That's probably an online sales technique. Are you sure you are loading the game up from the Steam Client under "My Games" under the section "Installed?"[/QUOTE]

Yup. It even says in parenthesis, pre-loaded.

I don't know what else to tell you. Just double click the game, if it asks you to purchase, choose the "No" or "Continue to game" option.

[quote name='kilm']I don't know what else to tell you. Just double click the game, if it asks you to purchase, choose the "No" or "Continue to game" option.[/QUOTE]

Never mind, exiting steam and restarting it worked. Thanks!

Arguments aside the origonal campaign is very linear and does tire quickly. You can beat each stage in about an hour, coop online or not. If you dont want anything else to do with the game after that then its a horrible value.

Weapon selections are poor, and the variation of monsters is poor. The origonal MSRP was criminal for what it offers.

There werent many decent PUGs either where people didnt bail five or ten minutes in.

Team Stacking turned me off from the other multiplayer modes entirely.

YMMV but telling people this is a wonderful game or a good value simply for the fact that its "multiplayer" is a cop-out.

I like my FPSs as much as the next guy, L4D simply didnt hold my attention long. I know many others who felt exactly the same way. 1 Week was enough for many a casual gamers to get their fill.

bread's done
Back