Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='kingsoby1']can you play split screen with others? i doubt i buy this if it absolutely requires online multiplayer. is the online aspect cross-platform?[/quote]

Yes there is an off-line multiplayer but just for 2 players.

No it is not cross-platform.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']What a terrible reason not to play a game. Anyways, I fuckING LOVE THIS GAME! Me and two friends have been playing through the first three "films" on advanced and it is hard as balls. It's funny how we yell at each other though. Can't wait to try online. Add me people please.[/quote]

I think it's a fantastic reason. There was a demo, but they took it down basically for no reason. I'm not buying a game that I can't try out first.

Why buy a Valve game for 360 anyway when they've already shown (with TF2) that they will only support the game to the bare minimum after release. They obviously don't care about console gamers so why should I give them my money again?

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I think it's a fantastic reason. There was a demo, but they took it down basically for no reason. I'm not buying a game that I can't try out first.

Why buy a Valve game for 360 anyway when they've already shown (with TF2) that they will only support the game to the bare minimum after release. They obviously don't care about console gamers so why should I give them my money again?[/quote]

They don't?

What's this?
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3168485

Also you mean to tell me you've tried out every game you bought first before actually buying it? Get real. I think it's pretty safe to say that a game is good if it's getting really good reviews and the majority of the community is liking it... and I don't blame them for taking down the demo.. it was up for awhile, why keep it around?

[quote name='cmart05']They don't?

What's this?
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3168485

Also you mean to tell me you've tried out every game you bought first before actually buying it? Get real. I think it's pretty safe to say that a game is good if it's getting really good reviews and the majority of the community is liking it... and I don't blame them for taking down the demo.. it was up for awhile, why keep it around?[/quote]

The link you gave is the same game I already own with some added maps that were free to PC gamers. It was packaged together and is being sold on the marketplace in a huge money grab.

At this point and time, yes I try every new game before I buy it. There's no need not to try it since practically every game has a demo. I can understand why some games don't have demos, but the issue here is that there was a demo and it was taken down.

You keep the demo around so more potential customers can be exposed to a new game. Were you really wondering why every single other company doesn't take their demos down?

I've never been a fan of zombie survival games, but I am very intrigued by the co-op aspects of this game. I'd love a chance to try the game for a few minutes and see what I think. If only there was a system in place where people can try a small section of a game and see what they like. . .

So, I got my copy and hope to finally crack it open tonight. Anyone interested in starting the game from the beginning? I usually don't get online until around 10:30pm CST or so.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']they took the demo down? that's really fucking stupid. guess I won't be buying this after all.

I'm so mad I could almost write a letter. . .almost.[/quote]

You might be able to download it via the "Refer to a friend" option from somebody who has the demo downloaded unless they completely removed the demo from the servers and not just removed it's listing.

The Versus mode was the funnest thing I have done in a very very long time. The ammount of classic moments packed into 1 section of versus mode is insane. Wish I could always be a zombie, but being a human is ok i guess.

my order from amazon arrived today.

played it for hours and i love it. VS mode is great, too bad you can only play it in 2 movies.

now i just need to find a reliable team.

2 maps for versus is bullshit after all the hyping they did about the mode. Might as well have a Madden game come out where you have to play as amputees.

[quote name='woodcan']So, I got my copy and hope to finally crack it open tonight. Anyone interested in starting the game from the beginning? I usually don't get online until around 10:30pm CST or so.[/quote]

Send me a friend Invite at XxLayziebonesxX.

I should hopefully get it tmmrw in the mail from Amazon.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']2 maps for versus is bullshit after all the hyping they did about the mode. Might as well have a Madden game come out where you have to play as amputees.[/quote]

Thing is, this is valve and you know they are going to be releasing a lot of content for this game. They have already said that they are working out a deal with M$ so that they can update the 360 version about 2 weeks after the PC version. I am not saying 2 maps is acceptable but every time you play a game in any map you have to play it differently because of how well the AI director works so that adds a bit of variety until new content comes out.

[quote name='eliter1']Thing is, this is valve and you know they are going to be releasing a lot of content for this game. They have already said that they are working out a deal with M$ so that they can update the 360 version about 2 weeks after the PC version. I am not saying 2 maps is acceptable but every time you play a game in any map you have to play it differently because of how well the AI director works so that adds a bit of variety until new content comes out.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even realize there were only 2 maps for versus mode...I just thought I had bad luck when it came to maps.

Are you sure there is only 2 maps? Seems like I have played 4 or 5.

Maybe I am thinking of the chapters and not whole campaigns.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Try downloading the demo off of this link:

http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=103159...s/offers/0ddf0001-0000-4000-8000-000045418897

Thanks to SD, and JimmyH's thread - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204628[/quote]

"this offer is not valid in your region."

thanks for trying, though.

can anyone recommend me the game on xbox live? My friend has the demo but can't find the option to send a recommendation. Or you could just tell me how to recommend something. Either would help. :)

edit: I did get the gold lancer from that link, which is pretty damn awesome. thanks man!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']Are you sure there is only 2 maps? Seems like I have played 4 or 5.

Maybe I am thinking of the chapters and not whole campaigns.[/quote]
No, there are only two of them, No mercy and Blood Harvest.

I still have a code from Gamestop to download the demo, I wonder if it works. I can give it to someone who needs it.

Edit: Someone want to play later Today? Send me a FR and/or invite

Edit2: Code Gone

Edit3: This game is fucking AMAZING!! I played a little of the first campaign by myself and it was great, I bet it's much better with friends. I have one question tho, How The fuck do you Kill the Witch? She Always gets me.

[quote name='eliter1']I still have a code from Gamestop to download the demo, I wonder if it works. I can give it to someone who needs it.

Edit: Someone want to play later Today? Send me a FR and/or invite

Edit2: Code Gone

Edit3: This game is fucking AMAZING!! I played a little of the first campaign by myself and it was great, I bet it's much better with friends. I have one question tho, How The fuck do you Kill the Witch? She Always gets me.[/QUOTE]

Code did not work. Thank though, I appreciate you taking the time to pm it to me. :)

I'm up for playing with people whenever I get my game in from Amazon. Add me if you want (gamertag: Schmackledorf), just let me know from you're CAG.

[quote name='eliter1'] I have one question tho, How The fuck do you Kill the Witch? She Always gets me.[/quote]

If you've got an explosive, it's worth wasting it on her. Still, have your big gun handy 'cause it won't kill her instantly.

If you have a shotgun, you can drop her with a single shot to the head IF you're lucky (and I've got the 30G to prove it).

If you have neither, just be cool, sit back and let someone else get her attention.

Yeah, I learned the hard away about explosives. I tossed a propane tank on the witch and shot it...she still killed me while I stood dumbfounded that she could survive that.

The graphics in this game look so dated to me... the gameplay looks awesome... of course at this time, this is opinion is from the outside looking in... I'm going to check out the demo see how I like it.

What's all the MP options available?

[quote name='Thomas96']The graphics in this game look so dated to me... the gameplay looks awesome... of course at this time, this is opinion is from the outside looking in... I'm going to check out the demo see how I like it.

What's all the MP options available?[/QUOTE]

Just a versus mode on 10 sections from the first two "movie" campaigns from the single player. It's pretty damn fun playing as the Infected.

I wish they let you use the whole campaign to play versus on...hopefully that'll be an update later on that hopefully won't cost any money considering the content is already on the disc..

If anyone wants to play, I just got on.

[quote name='Thomas96']The graphics in this game look so dated to me...[/quote]
Well, you see...
[quote name='Thomas96']this is opinion is from the outside looking in... I'm going to check out the demo see how I like it.[/quote]
Oh, fuck you.

The graphics would be improved tenfold if they had collision detection. I know they left it out so one asshole couldn't stand in a doorway and set his buddies up like lambs to the slaughter, but when you cross into the same spot as someone else the majority of your viewpoint is filled with glitchy character models. Like those old games where you could zoom in on a character's face and turn the camera to go inside their head and see what looked like a big sack with two eggs poking through. I think you could do that in various Eidos games that used the same game engine elements, but you had to really try to, not like here where it's just always happening when you get bunched up.

I can deal with the graphics looking dated, what I don't like is them looking embarassing from a technical standpoint.

[quote name='seanr1221']If Valve can get us the inevitable PC content for free, they would be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Did they do that for Orange Box?
Because I remember the whole reason to get Orange Box/TF for the PC was because of the expanded content and ability to mod outside of the game running overall better

If they can give the extra content for the 360 I might pick up the 360 version, but right now im waiting on a $30 PC version or less.

[quote name='n11n12']If you've got an explosive, it's worth wasting it on her. Still, have your big gun handy 'cause it won't kill her instantly.

If you have a shotgun, you can drop her with a single shot to the head IF you're lucky (and I've got the 30G to prove it).

If you have neither, just be cool, sit back and let someone else get her attention.[/quote]

Actually its really really easy to kill the with every time if the right conditions are there. Well, as long as the other people on your team dont run up and do something stupid.

Turn off your flashlight.....make your way around back of her slowly. When you walk up behind her she will always turn her head to look right at you........Peter North her face with a shotgun. Works every time.

The problem with the witches is most of the time you have no idea where the hell she is and when you do find her she sitting next to a boomer or doorway that you have to go in.

On a unrelated note. When playing verses mode...MOVE YOUR ASS. To many teams spend way to much time on stupid stuff allowing the infected team to spawn 15 times in one run. You dont have to shoot every zombie you see. The only way to win is to move quickly through the map.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Actually its really really easy to kill the with every time if the right conditions are there. Well, as long as the other people on your team dont run up and do something stupid.

Turn off your flashlight.....make your way around back of her slowly. When you walk up behind her she will always turn her head to look right at you........Peter North her face with a shotgun. Works every time.

The problem with the witches is most of the time you have no idea where the hell she is and when you do find her she sitting next to a boomer or doorway that you have to go in.

On a unrelated note. When playing verses mode...MOVE YOUR ASS. To many teams spend way to much time on stupid stuff allowing the infected team to spawn 15 times in one run. You dont have to shoot every zombie you see. The only way to win is to move quickly through the map.[/quote]

Ugh I hate you. You had to make a funny a$$ post and I had to read it while still in the hospital. Laughing = pain right now

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The graphics would be improved tenfold if they had collision detection. I know they left it out so one asshole couldn't stand in a doorway and set his buddies up like lambs to the slaughter, but when you cross into the same spot as someone else the majority of your viewpoint is filled with glitchy character models....[/quote]

I personally think the lack of collision detection between the characters was a brilliant gameplay move on Valve's part. Not only is it a perfect way to prevent griefing, but in a game where characters are required to stay close, it prevents them from constantly getting hung up on each other, which is frustrating as all hell in any game. The worst parts of HL2 had to be the squad combat scenes in tight spaces.

The "Take a Break" option in L4D is awesome. I'm a new father and this function really helps when you have a little one to watch over while playing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

Turn off your flashlight.....make your way around back of her slowly. When you walk up behind her she will always turn her head to look right at you........Peter North her face with a shotgun. Works every time.[/quote]Ahahaha.

I think one of the easiest ways to kill the Witch is just to toss a molotov on her head (gets you an achievement, btw) and blast her face with the shotgun/machine gun (also gets you an achievement).

My copy should be waiting on me when I get home. Unfortunately now I won't have much time to play it...got plans for tonight, and the I pick the g/f up tomorrow at the airport and she'll be in till the weekend. So looks like another week.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this one. Although I was in fact left-4-dead in a random co-op game where the remaining survivor (who i just saved) ran off into the helicopter as i was being eviscerated.

[quote name='Presidentpez']I've been enjoying the hell out of this one. Although I was in fact left-4-dead in a random co-op game where the remaining survivor (who i just saved) ran off into the helicopter as i was being eviscerated.[/quote]

the best part is the mad dash towards the helicopter while your teammates are getting pounded by a tank, lol.

bread's done
Back