Legacy of God of war and Heavenly Sword

pmkatiyar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I am a great fan of "God of war" series and this series was one of the many factors i bought PS3 instead of Xbox. After buying PS3 i came across "Heavenly sword" which seems to me very close to God of war series but i think they have not released any sequel to Heavenly sword. I love the six axis controller use in Heavenly sword and would like to see the same in "God of war" series. And they should add trophy mechanism in heavenly sword.

Now my question to Gamers - Is there any other game i should try that will live upto the expectation i have after playing god of war and heavenly sword?

4.png

I played DMC 4, the game is good in terms of action, but it doesn't have the cool features of mini games based on buttons when comes to boss fights and six axis controller motions. And i think upcoming DMC will also not feature these thing which i like most is these games.

4.png

Thanks for the term "QTE", @CaptainJoel. Was unaware of this acronym will use it in my future conversations.

Oh ya Ninja Gaiden 3 seems impressive will put this one in my wishlist :)

4.png

@ihadFG: I heard about "Dante's inferno" but because of lack of reviews i was always hesitant to buy the game. How much do you rate this game in terms of story and gameplay?

4.png

[quote name='pmkatiyar']@ihadFG: I heard about "Dante's inferno" but because of lack of reviews i was always hesitant to buy the game. How much do you rate this game in terms of story and gameplay?

[/QUOTE]

I'd put the story on par with the first two God of War games. It's not too deep or anything, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

And gameplay-wise, it's pretty much exactly like God of War.

I can't recommend Darksiders enough...great story, QTE's, boss battles and just enough platforming puzzles to make it worth it. Very high production values to boot.

It's like a mash up of GoW, Zelda and Portal combined.

[quote name='pmkatiyar']I played DMC 4, the game is good in terms of action, but it doesn't have the cool features of mini games based on buttons when comes to boss fights and six axis controller motions. And i think upcoming DMC will also not feature these thing which i like most is these games.[/QUOTE]

The upcoming DmC is being developed by Ninja Theory, who also developed Heavenly Sword, so it's likely still a good fit.

Also, check out Enslaved, Ninja Theory's game between Heavenly Sword and the rebooted DmC. It's got a lot of the same visual style as Heavenly Sword, but since it's a multiplatform release, it doesn't have any sixaxis controls or anything like that

Heavy Rain is a game that is pretty much all QTE's, and it uses sixaxis motion controls, but it has no traditional action, so that might also be something to check out.

Darksiders and Dante's Inferno also fit your bill extremely well, as detailed previously.

[quote name='ihadFG']I'd put the story on par with the first two God of War games. It's not too deep or anything, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

And gameplay-wise, it's pretty much exactly like God of War.[/QUOTE]

And yet it's somehow more fun.

@ssjmichael: definitely getting GOW origins, will buy it soon. And yes i totally forgot about Bayonetta. But first GOW origins then Bayonetta :)
@JasonTerminator: Good summarization. I think now i will wait for DmC and give it a try after know that its from creator of Heavenly Sword. But again DmC will be multiplatform and it will lack six axis controller action or may be developers have some plans to release a separate PS3 edition with six axis capabilities.
I am playing Heavy Rain, but thats totally different genere i guess. Its more cinematic and button sync based game. But it stands at top in its genere.

4.png

@MPoWeRM3: too much combat actions make game monotonous, its not that i dont like or i wont survive it. I think i did good so far in GOW (lots of difficult combat actions), but there should be little bit of QTE or six axis action in between those combats just to keep building interest. Instead of a cutscene i would prefere a mini games with QTEs. Other wise all these games(GOW, Heavenly Sword, DmC 4) are heavy difficulty combat action games only.

4.png

[quote name='pmkatiyar']what about old releases of Ninja Gaiden do they match up GOW gameplay and are they on PS3?

[/QUOTE]

Well, let me be honest to you. You will not like Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. There are two groups of hack n slash games. Group 1 is QTE fested God of War series and all of its clones (Heavenly Sword, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania, etcc...) aimed for the casuals. Group 2 is technical combat type (no QTEs and no button mashing) which aims for the hardcore players. The latter is far less in terms of available games as this group consists of Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Bayonetta, and Devil May Cry series. These two groups of players usually don't like the opposite games. God of War lovers hate Ninja Gaiden and vise versa. This is all fyi so don't waste your money on the hardcore type hack n slash games if you are a big fan of the God of War, Heavenly Sword and the likes. In those games, you can easliy mash your way to the finish, but try that in Ninja Gaiden 1, and you'll see endless game over screens when you reach level 1's boss. Yes, I'm a group 2 player.

[quote name='pmkatiyar']@MPoWeRM3: too much combat actions make game monotonous, its not that i dont like or i wont survive it. I think i did good so far in GOW (lots of difficult combat actions), but there should be little bit of QTE or six axis action in between those combats just to keep building interest. Instead of a cutscene i would prefere a mini games with QTEs. Other wise all these games(GOW, Heavenly Sword, DmC 4) are heavy difficulty combat action games only.

[/QUOTE]

Again, if you think God of War has "lots of difficult combat actions", be prepaired to be slaughtered in Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. I tell you what happened when I played God of War, I fell asleep for few seconds during many combat scenes. The God of War series is a breeze until you unlock and play at the highest difficulty. But if you want to give a shot at Gaiden 1 and 2 anyway, feel free to do so. Since you only have a PS3, you can get Sigma 1 and 2 which are heavily toned down in difficulty to their Xbox/Xbox 360 counter parts originals.

bread's done
Back