Legacy of Ys: Books I & II (DS) $20 at Target/Amazon (good for price match)

[quote name='wildnuts02']This is good for a price match since shipping ($8.00 for me) kills the deal.

Link [/QUOTE]

What retailers even have this game in stock anymore, let alone will match on-line only pricing?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Is there any reason to get this version of the game over the Virtual Console release that's about half the price?[/QUOTE]

I would wager that the Virtual console release is the TG-16 version. They are separate remakes of the same game. The TG-16 version will be closer to the original, and possibly more awesome.
I gather they changed the mechanics in the DS remake so that you swing your sword like any other boring action adventure game, but in the earlier releases you RAM HEADFIRST INTO ENEMIES.
It is awesome.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Is there any reason to get this version of the game over the Virtual Console release that's about half the price?[/QUOTE]

All of the reviews I read say it's worse than the original, so no, stick with the Turbo version.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Is there any reason to get this version of the game over the Virtual Console release that's about half the price?[/QUOTE]I played the virtua console Ys I + II earlier this year, first time I ever played the game.

all I gotta say is,

it's prolly one of the best RPG I ever played in my life.

[quote name='mkelehan']All of the reviews I read say it's worse than the original, so no, stick with the Turbo version.[/QUOTE]

as someone who grew up with the Turbo CD version, this is a pretty good remake (its a slightly pared down version of the PS2 remake). Most of the updates are pretty lack luster (except for the soundtrack) but the game hasn't been messed around too much. And the portability of it being on a handheld is a huge plus. IMO, its definitely worth the $20

[quote name='gojiboy']does anyone know if the version they are selling comes with the soundtrack, or no?[/QUOTE]

don't think they released this without the soundtrack

The soundtrack CD is excellent. The game's a pretty good remake, despite the dull graphics. It's also extremely easy, so you might want to play on a harder difficulty. The new translation is good except for the name changes, which are sometimes less attractive than the TG-CD's names.

[quote name='eastx']The soundtrack CD is excellent. The game's a pretty good remake, despite the dull graphics. It's also extremely easy, so you might want to play on a harder difficulty. The new translation is good except for the name changes, which are sometimes less attractive than the TG-CD's names.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I think the name changes are more in line with the original versions. In fact, later Ys translations were also in line with the originals, so the TG-CD version is the odd man out.

[quote name='gojiboy']does anyone know if the version they are selling comes with the soundtrack, or no?[/QUOTE]

They all come with the soundtrack, which is excellent.

Definitely worth this price.

[quote name='mkelehan']I could be wrong, but I think the name changes are more in line with the original versions. In fact, later Ys translations were also in line with the originals, so the TG-CD version is the odd man out.[/QUOTE]

You're right, but the official romanizations of the names created by Falcom Japan are often pretty odd. Like the temple of Salmon. What's up with that? I also think Darm Tower sounds better than Dark Tower and Luta Gemma sounds better than Luther Gemma, but it's all subjective.

thanks for the clarification about the soundtrack. i only asked because i bought The Dark Spire a while back, and i saw a version with and without the soundtrack.

[quote name='eastx'] It's also extremely easy, so you might want to play on a harder difficulty[/QUOTE]

yeah, this definitly pales in comparison in the difficulty range compared to the original versions

[quote name='gojiboy']thanks for the clarification about the soundtrack. i only asked because i bought The Dark Spire a while back, and i saw a version with and without the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

There was only ever one version of Dark Spire, and that was the boxed version with the DS case, game and soundtrack CD. Some stores which gut display copies (GameStop, etc.) would sometimes just put out the DS case and keep all the rest (box and CD) behind the counter. I saw this happen with other Atlus releases like Luminous Arc 2, Prinny: Can I Be The Hero?, etc.

So, if you're only given the DS case and game for Dark Spire or the Ys DS compilation, you ain't getting everything from the store :)

[quote name='JEKKI']I played the virtua console Ys I + II earlier this year, first time I ever played the game.

all I gotta say is,

it's prolly one of the best RPG I ever played in my life.[/QUOTE]

I had the same experience. The Wii VC version is the one to get.

I want this, but just can't talk myself into shelling out the cash for it. I have the original on Turbo CD, but the Virtual Console version looks great on modern TVs if you're Turbo-less.

bread's done
Back