Legend Of Grimrock: Best $13.50 you will spend if Dungeon Crawl means anything to you

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Update 2: More than half-way through now. In all honesty, if you remember and liked Dungeon Master there is no reason not to buy this now. I've been waiting for so long for a game to capture the spirit of this genre, and this is it. You can make the game as hard or as easy as you want, and it is clear this game is a passion for the devs. Download and enjoy.

Update:
The game has been released. There is still a 10% discount via the dev's website. $13.50 nets you a Steam Key AND DRM free download!

Also available on Steam and Good Old Games.

I have been playing for just about two hours now and all I can say is that if you know what "party of four dungeon crawl" means, this game is for you. Its tough and you can turn on hard mode that turns off the auto-map feature! You know, so you can pull out your graph paper.

OP:
The Legend of Grimrock is currently up for pre-order at $11.99 via the game web-site. The game will be released today [11th] so I'm not sure how long that will last. The pre-order comes with some digital download goodies including good 'ole fashioned graph paper for mapping your crawl.

linky-linky: Legend of Grimrock

Game available via dev web-site [see link], GOG, and Steam.

Buy from the dev at $11.99 and receive DRM-Free version AND Steam Key.
[thanks Keithp and Danstabbingworth!

The game will be released at 1 p.m. EST. I would imagine you can "preorder" up until then...

countdown link

Last edited by a moderator:
So while my ancient laptop runs it its unplayable.. I will be trying my home pc which I dont fire up for anything much anymore.. it was built in 05 with some decent stuff.

Otherwise I will play the damn game after hours...

Bought the game and played for an hour. Really great so far, the visuals and sounds are fun and it is old schoolish but in a good and fun way.

playing on hard, oldschool style with a pad of grid paper just like when i was a kid.

i HIGHLY recommend all of you play old school mode; it just adds so much to dungeon exploration.

love it love it love it. only on level 5 of the dungeon and the traps/riddles/puzzles are fantastic so far.

Amazing....with all of the "advancements" in game design, we always seem to go back to what worked.

While I know for a fact it will be a while before I get to finish the game, I had to buy it and support it.
Played about an hour and I think there is lots of fun to be had here. Having flashbacks of Dungeon Hack. :)

I think the thing though thats funny about gaming these days is when so many gamers consider whats old or new, they tend to forget that even first person shooters are 20 years old. So in reality, all the genres are i feel in the same boat concerning age, especially with now so many genres 20+ years old.

Gaming i feel needs to get back to the variety it once had. Good ol Dungeon Crawlers set their mark in the gaming world, if a dev team thinks they can make them even more elaborate while keeping true to its roots i say they need to go for it.

I love gaming still, but i miss the old days when variety was really a major part of it all including your classic wizardry games, might and magic, lands of lore, and even on into the adventure games which i think need to see even MORE resurgance, give us a new Maniac Mansion, give us a new Full Throttle, Kyrandia etc...

Its just great seeing a dev team like this, put out a game that not only isnt some run of the mill shooter, but a game that looks to be hand crafted with the idea to take gamers back to a time when gaming was really special, and Grimrock seems to hit that mark in a big way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen!

[quote name='edgeofthorns']i think the thing though thats funny about gaming these days is when so many gamers consider whats old or new, they tend to forget that even first person shooters are 20 years old. So in reality, all the genres are i feel in the same board as to age, especially with no so many genres 20+ years old.

Gaming i feel needs to get back to the variety it once had. Good ol dungeon crawlers set their mark in the gaming world, if a dev team thinks they can make them even mor elaborate while keeping true to its roots i say they need to go for it.

I love gaming still, but i miss the old days when variety was really a major part of it all including your classic wizardry games, might and magic, lands of lore, and even on into the adventure games which i think need to see even more resurgance, give us a new maniac mansion, give us a new full throttle, kyrandia etc...

Its just great seeing a dev team like this, put out a game that not only isnt some run of the mill shooter, but a game that looks to be hand crafted with the idea to take gamers back to a time when gaming was really special, and grimrock seems to hit that mark in a big way.[/quote]

With all of these indie games coming out, variety is something that is coming back for PC games and it makes me happy as well! ;)

[quote name='EdgeOfThorns']I think the thing though thats funny about gaming these days is when so many gamers consider whats old or new, they tend to forget that even first person shooters are 20 years old. So in reality, all the genres are i feel in the same board as to age, especially with no so many genres 20+ years old.

Gaming i feel needs to get back to the variety it once had. Good ol Dungeon Crawlers set their mark in the gaming world, if a dev team thinks they can make them even mor elaborate while keeping true to its roots i say they need to go for it.

I love gaming still, but i miss the old days when variety was really a major part of it all including your classic wizardry games, might and magic, lands of lore, and even on into the adventure games which i think need to see even MORE resurgance, give us a new Maniac Mansion, give us a new Full Throttle, Kyrandia etc...

Its just great seeing a dev team like this, put out a game that not only isnt some run of the mill shooter, but a game that looks to be hand crafted with the idea to take gamers back to a time when gaming was really special, and Grimrock seems to hit that mark in a big way.[/QUOTE]

Damn can't believe I didn't know about this and missed out on the preorder. Woo hoo dungeon crawler is back. So, do they force you to carry food around? ;)

How exactly does the developer DRM free work? Is it a download from them? Or just a steam version?

[quote name='appleyum']Damn can't believe I didn't know about this and missed out on the preorder. Woo hoo dungeon crawler is back. So, do they force you to carry food around? ;)

How exactly does the developer DRM free work? Is it a download from them? Or just a steam version?[/QUOTE]
1) yep, although I've not run out yet and I'm about 7 levels down.

2) there's a straight-from-the-developer download, as well as a Steam code. I think you can still get both at 10% off if you go direct to the developer's site: www.grimrock.net

[quote name='appleyum']Damn can't believe I didn't know about this and missed out on the preorder. Woo hoo dungeon crawler is back. So, do they force you to carry food around? ;)

How exactly does the developer DRM free work? Is it a download from them? Or just a steam version?[/QUOTE]

i beleive you get both a Steam key and the direct download for the DRM free version

[quote name='keithp']Also on GOG: Legend of Grimrock[/QUOTE]

Yup! I preordered through GOG as it looked nifty and I wanted to support it.

I LOVED that DS game that plays like this, so I hope I love this. Pretty cool to see a game with graphics like that but that plays with that type of ruleset :)

I couldn't resist I grabbed it from the dev's website, winds up processing through humblebundle's website, and then I activated it through steam. Hopefully they'll add 3D Vision support in the near future. :cool:

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I LOVED that DS game that plays like this, so I hope I love this.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I remember that one, what was it called? I've been meaning to look for it and replay it on my DS for ages now.

There's a few, Orcs and Elves is the only one I've played though. I liked how the whole game was turn-based and you could hit a button to wait and the monsters would take a turn. Grimrock isn't that way, they just run right up to you and start kicking your ass.

The tutorial says to left-click the weapon to pick up and to right-click to attack. I took it as I had to pick up the weapon and attack with it. It's actually two separate things. Just right-click the icon to attack with the equipped weapon. During that I did find out that you can hold down the right mouse button to look around and turn, which I prefer doing over the Q and E keys as it frees up my left hand for just movement.

I'd like to see controller support added, I can see doing most of this on a 360 controller with JoyToKey although attacking would be tough ... and rumble would be nice.

In for one, had no clue about this, and love the genre.

My first experience with these type of games is Swords and Serpents on the NES. Played some of the classics on PC after that. Most recently I've played through the Etrian Odyssey games on DS, even though they arent -exactly- the same thing.

Downloading now.

just wanted to chime in here, the game is quite fun, and I've been enjoying it so far - picked up 2 copies during the pre-order window (1 on GOG, 1 from Dev/Steam) - definitely worth the money I think, if you like the style of game.

Playing this game really makes me wonder why this genre went away. Not everything needs to be some variant of a FPS or hack and slash. I think they did a good job here of making it feel both classic and modern at the same time.

I can definitely see areas that would be good to expand upon like more races/classes, party banter, an overworld etc but this is quite good for a first try and I think it's a good intro for people who have never played this sort of game before.

Ultimately I'd love to see something like Wizardry 8 but updated and with less tedious combat. For now, I'm really enjoying this game. It's a great deal for the price.

Glad to hear it's a good intro, since I loved that ID Software DS game, so I'm probably liking the "easy" end of the spectrum. That was CRAZY fun to me, and if this is even 1/2 as good, but with gorgeous graphics I'd probably love it.

[quote name='NathanGraves']Hey, I remember that one, what was it called? I've been meaning to look for it and replay it on my DS for ages now.[/QUOTE]

Dark Spire. I was bummed out that it plummeted to $10 within only a couple months of release.

[quote name='Byakurai']Dark Spire. I was bummed out that it plummeted to $10 within only a couple months of release.[/QUOTE]

That's the one! I've been meaning to replay it for a while now.

i also remember another Dungeon crawler for DS that was made by Konami, it was called something: Curse of the Demon Seal. Sadly, that game was shit :(

And I'm amazed at the system requirements. The game says the recommended gig for it is a quad core processor but I only have an AMD 64x2 and it runs as smooth as silk on high settings.

Got my ass kicked on level 2, guess Hard difficulty was not my best choice >.

[quote name='NathanGraves']That's the one! I've been meaning to replay it for a while now.

i also remember another Dungeon crawler for DS that was made by Konami, it was called something: Curse of the Demon Seal. Sadly, that game was shit :(

And I'm amazed at the system requirements. The game says the recommended gig for it is a quad core processor but I only have an AMD 64x2 and it runs as smooth as silk on high settings.

Got my ass kicked on level 2, guess Hard difficulty was not my best choice >.

Part of me wishes this didn't have a party and you played a single character, or at the very least it was turn based. I spend the majority of the encounters in the game staring at the bottom right corner of my screen frantically tapping tiny icons and rearranging party members.

I'm playing it in 3D Vision with this fix and using JoyToKey and a wired 360 controller, still tweaking my setup. The only odd thing I've found so far is the cursor control is fine but when I use mouselook, hold left trigger (rmb) and move the right analog stick, it stutters on the horizontal and vertical plane but the diagonals are smooth.

[quote name='hollowfreak']
I'm playing it in 3D Vision with this fix and using JoyToKey and a wired 360 controller, still tweaking my setup. The only odd thing I've found so far is the cursor control is fine but when I use mouselook, hold left trigger (rmb) and move the right analog stick, it stutters on the horizontal and vertical plane but the diagonals are smooth.[/QUOTE]

Nice, was just about to head to helix mod site and see if there was a 3D vision fix. Game looks pretty slick in 3D. Definitely see myself putting some hours into this one.

Anyone playing this on an outdated crappy machine? like a Netbook cause thats what I have hahah... I guess I'll pray it comes out on ONLIVE

[quote name='acsguitar']Anyone playing this on an outdated crappy machine? like a Netbook cause thats what I have hahah... I guess I'll pray it comes out on ONLIVE[/QUOTE]

Can your video card handle shader 3.0? There's also a hardware test to see if the game will run.

[quote name='keithp']Here is a hardware test for people to check to see if their PC can run the game. It's about 400 Mb. BTW, my laptop has crappy built-in Intel HD3000 graphics and it passes the test.[/QUOTE]

So I decided to pick this up after seeing all the praise that it's getting. This is the first dungeon crawler that I've ever played, and so far I'm enjoying it. But I'm having a bit of difficulties with the controls. Specifically, during combat. I'm having trouble strafing and turning while trying to dodge hits. As a result, I keep dying and having to reload my game.

I find myself wishing that the controls were a little bit closer to the average FPS. Am I correct in assuming that the bad controls are on purpose to further emulate the old school dungeon crawlers?

[quote name='The End']I find myself wishing that the controls were a little bit closer to the average FPS. Am I correct in assuming that the bad controls are on purpose to further emulate the old school dungeon crawlers?[/QUOTE]

The movement is purposely like the old style tile based systems. I had to change from wasd to qwes. Basically swapped the q/a and e/d keys. Feels more natural to me. Probably because in shooters, q and e are often strafe.

[quote name='keithp']Can your video card handle shader 3.0? There's also a hardware test to see if the game will run.[/QUOTE]

Awesomesauce thanks!

[quote name='The End']So I decided to pick this up after seeing all the praise that it's getting. This is the first dungeon crawler that I've ever played, and so far I'm enjoying it. But I'm having a bit of difficulties with the controls. Specifically, during combat. I'm having trouble strafing and turning while trying to dodge hits. As a result, I keep dying and having to reload my game.

I find myself wishing that the controls were a little bit closer to the average FPS. Am I correct in assuming that the bad controls are on purpose to further emulate the old school dungeon crawlers?[/QUOTE]

The controls are basically what they always have been the problem is the game isn't turn based, pretty much all games of this nature were. We're forced to use turn based controls to avoid real time enemies. It's madness I tell you!!

... put that damn torch out!! You're going to get us all killed!! :lol:

The controls are easily remappable so there's that if you are having problems. Personally I hate WASD and always remap to the arrow keys because that just seems more intuitive for me plus less chance to accidentally hit the wrong button.

I don't really strafe much and this might bite me in the ass as I get further down but for now I have up arrow as forward, down as back, left as turn left and right as turn right and that seems to work out well for me for the time being.

I definitely save a lot and make good use of those crystals though. I memorize where they are on each level and many a time have hauled my ass back there with one or two party members deads and enemies on my tail. :p

[quote name='hollowfreak']The controls are basically what they always have been the problem is the game isn't turn based, pretty much all games of this nature were. We're forced to use turn based controls to avoid real time enemies. It's madness I tell you!!

... put that damn torch out!! You're going to get us all killed!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

um, what are you talking about? this game is based on classics like Dungeon Master and Stonekeep, all with the same 'real time' enemy style. it has a similar interface to, say, bard's tale or wizardy, but it's not trying to be them.

Heck, it's practically just a modern remake of Dungeon Master... check youtube gameplay out. I remember when that game came out, back before the internet, when CGW was the magazine of choice and everyone was excited for 'real time' combat. And yes, i beat all those games many moons ago.

Grimrock is AMAZING. on level 9 right now, hard, oldschool, my pad of graph paper getting a heavy workout.

[quote name='affa']Grimrock is AMAZING. on level 9 right now, hard, oldschool, my pad of graph paper getting a heavy workout.[/QUOTE]

My hat is off to you, sir. I would completely lose my sanity if I played that way. Just finished level 9 and I resorted to a walkthrough for several puzzles. I doubt I would have ever figured out the one at the end without help. This game is a lot like Dark Souls to me...something I really, really enjoyed at first but now it's starting to wear on me and I don't know if I'll even finish it.

[quote name='affa']um, what are you talking about? this game is based on classics like Dungeon Master and Stonekeep, all with the same 'real time' enemy style. it has a similar interface to, say, bard's tale or wizardy, but it's not trying to be them.[/QUOTE]

Never played them, the only games I've played like this are Orcs & Elves, Wolfenstein RPG, and Doom II RPG ... and maybe Arcana for the SNES, not sure it's been awhile since I played that one, so I was likening Grimrock to them and I agree it is A(MAZE)ING, I just wish you'd get more time to check out the enemies, especially because everything looks so good in 3D. :drool:

Ooooh I didn't realize this was real time. Oh well, hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Seems like I played a real time one on the SNES, though maybe it was turn based... Eye of the Beholder? That was fun

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ooooh I didn't realize this was real time. Oh well, hopefully I'll enjoy it.
[/QUOTE]

It's not bad. Even with the real time I wouldn't say it was an action game. It's not like you are doing combos or anything. It still plays similar to a turn based 1st person party RPG except that there is more of a sense of urgency. You can't just sit there and take 10 minutes to plan out your move or drink a coke or something in the middle of battle. ;)

Sounds cool, but no Windows PC here. Hopefully they make an iPad version. They make no mention of 360, so I guess that's not going to happen. They only mention Mac/Linux/iOS/Android as possibilities. So I'll take iOS.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ooooh I didn't realize this was real time. Oh well, hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Seems like I played a real time one on the SNES, though maybe it was turn based... Eye of the Beholder? That was fun[/QUOTE]

Yea, I seem to remember EotB being like Dungeon Master, Stonekeep, and (now) Grimrock. Been ages.

[quote name='Killbomb']My hat is off to you, sir. I would completely lose my sanity if I played that way. Just finished level 9 and I resorted to a walkthrough for several puzzles. I doubt I would have ever figured out the one at the end without help. This game is a lot like Dark Souls to me...something I really, really enjoyed at first but now it's starting to wear on me and I don't know if I'll even finish it.[/QUOTE]

i just finished level 10.
mapping isn't that much of a pain; it adds a lot to the atmosphere. the only annoying part is having to count squares, etc, but the end result is immersion imo.

the beautiful thing about old games w/o automap is that you could create intricate puzzles with spinner/teleport traps. this game only does that a couple times, and nothing too complex.

i actually wish it was harder.

bread's done
Back