Legendarily crappy games on the VC

destro713

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Obviously this wouldn't happen in a million billion years... but I think it would be cool if Nintendo could throw games like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Superman 64 up on the Virtual Console for like 100 points. No need to waste space with games that are just plain mediocre and forgettable of course, but it would be interesting to have access to a crop of old games that have truly entered the all-time gaming hall of shame. Might be a tough sell to convince developers/publishers that their past games belong in this category, but there have to be some of them who'd show a little good humor about it.

I have Jekyll & Hyde on cartridge and despite the fact that it's probably the single worst, least playable game ever made, it gets played significantly more often than some of my other (better) NES carts simply because I just have to show it to people. There's a market there, I think.

I think nobody's life is truly complete until they pay some money for Bayou Billy or Deadly Towers. It'd make a cute April Fool's Joke.

John Elway's Quarterback...For the cost of a quarter...What a classicly bad game...Milon's Secret Castle anyone???

How about Stunt Race FX, what a crock of crap that was...Virtua racing my ass...Or maybe we'll get Quest 64

No, I think the OP is on to something here. I've always wanted to play Drake of the 99 Dragons just to see how shitty it is.

A VC Hall of Shame would be great. All free, but practically unplayable games. Superman for the 2600 comes to mind, as does Superman 64...the only good Superman game was the beat em up in the arcade.

I liked Stunt Race FX! A lot!

Guess it'd probably be unplayable now, though.

[quote name='Squall835']No, I think the OP is on to something here. I've always wanted to play Drake of the 99 Dragons just to see how shitty it is.[/QUOTE]
CML

[quote name='dserafin1986']John Elway's Quarterback...For the cost of a quarter...What a classicly bad game...Milon's Secret Castle anyone???

How about Stunt Race FX, what a crock of crap that was...Virtua racing my ass...Or maybe we'll get Quest 64[/quote]

I liked John Elway's Quarterback (at least what I can remember from it...) and I loved Stunt Race FX.:applause:

Would love to see Stunt Race make the VC.

haha...that game sucked...I actually did get into Elway's quarterback in college on the NES...Really horrible sports games are really compelling to me for some reason...The TG16 had some of the worst sports games ever, I bet they'll make the cut too, because they were all generic players and teams...TV Sports Basketball anyone????

[quote name='dserafin1986']John Elway's Quarterback...For the cost of a quarter...What a classicly bad game...Milon's Secret Castle anyone???

How about Stunt Race FX, what a crock of crap that was...Virtua racing my ass...Or maybe we'll get Quest 64[/quote]

Hey... I have quest 64 and it actually isnt all that bad as long as you have a gameshark. If you dont, the game is unplayable, and you wont be able to survive past like 2 hours. I think the makers of quest 64 made a pact with the gameshark makers so that their game would not be beatable without a gameshark

[quote name='jeremy517']The problem is that every VC game has to
a) Be tested
b) Go through ESRB ratings[/QUOTE]

So? So long as the original wasnt glitchy or buggy then it could meet both of those requirements. ESRB doesnt actively play the entire game, but rather game publishers show them videos of the "worst" parts in order to get their rating. So far no one has snuck anything in other than the "Hot Coffee" thing in GTASA and thats arguable as an issue since you have to go out of your way (as in outisde the game) to access that content.

[quote name='tacklebox']How about the classicly awful game that is fuck?[/quote]

haha, i still have my shaq-fu cartridge.

Milon's Secret Castle was awesome - talk about getting your money's worth. I remember sitting down to play that and there was really no way to tell what the hell you were supposed to do. It got really cool once you got good at it and started finding all the secret paths and crap. It definitely doesn't belong in any kind of "Hall of Shame" though.

[quote name='dserafin1986']How about Stunt Race FX, what a crock of crap that was...[/QUOTE]

Err...stunt Race FX is one of my favorite racing games ever, possibly just behind Diddy Kong Racing. I still play it every once in a while.

And Bayou Billy was okay. I bought it used 15 years ago and had some fun with it.

[quote name='javeryh']Milon's Secret Castle was awesome - talk about getting your money's worth. I remember sitting down to play that and there was really no way to tell what the hell you were supposed to do. It got really cool once you got good at it and started finding all the secret paths and crap. It definitely doesn't belong in any kind of "Hall of Shame" though.[/QUOTE]

Dude, how frustrating was it to finally figure out what to do though...Hall of shame, probably not...That game just popped into my head for some reason...It's all subjective...They should already have all these games on the VC...

What about Deathbots?

Deathbots_1.jpg

[quote name='destro713']Jaws for the NES would make a good inclusion. Forgot to mention it in my OP. Lamest ending of all time, probably.[/quote]

Ugh, what a horrible game. You could literally beat that game in 5 minutes.

bayou billy sucked a donkey nut sack...where's the contras with multiplayer, etc. i have all the old carts but but it may be worth it with online multiplayer.

[quote name='tomfoolery']bayou billy sucked a donkey nut sack...where's the contras with multiplayer, etc. i have all the old carts but but it may be worth it with online multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Why? Compared to what?

You want a bad game, try LJN's X-Men, and there's even much worse than that.

[quote name='tacklebox']How about the classicly awful game that is fuck?[/quote]

one my local game stores has a whole box of Shaq Fu for the genesis near the door. Each copy is marked at 50 cents each. He was rather puzzled when i purchased a copy of it, and asked if i'd be interested in purchasing more shaq fu.

maniac mansion
jaws
bayou billy (the driving missions always killed me!)
american gladiators
ghostbusters 2
bad dudes

[quote name='ahmedmalik']maniac mansion
jaws
bayou billy (the driving missions always killed me!)
american gladiators
ghostbusters 2
bad dudes[/QUOTE]

Maniac Mansion was by no means crappy. Turn in your gaming cred card at the door whilst we turn our backs to you in disdain.

[quote name='foltzie']Maniac Mansion was by no means crappy. Turn in your gaming cred card at the door whilst we turn our backs to you in disdain.[/quote]

I played it when I was like 8 and it warped my mind. I couldn't figure out whatever the hell to do. But doesn't mean I won't buy it again, and I will!

But... ::hangs head:: here's my card for now, I'll be back to reclaim it when I've seen the true genius behind Maniac Mansion. ^_^

~Ahmed~

Maniac Mansion was a bit garish in the sights and sounds departments but the way you had to pick your characters and devise a plan of action with barely any guidance or clear linearity was way ahead of its time, for consoles at least. I'd call it a classic before I put it in a hall of shame.

I'd probably leave American Gladiators off the list also, if only for the awesome bloodcurdling deathscream you hear whenever you knock an opponent off the platform in joust. Otherwise it was a pretty bad game but it wasn't among the worst for the NES.

Bad Dudes is a fair inclusion.

bread's done
Back