Legitimate Transformers Grimlock Figure?

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I've been looking in stores for this but it seems it's out of print. Any advice on avoiding a bootleg when ordering online? I don't know if Amazon is very reliable when "fulfilling" third-party orders.

If you are talking about the MP Grimlock, it will be reissued soon so don't overpay or worry about bootlegs. Just order from one of the known legitimate shops (tfsource, bigbadtoystore, etc). You should have it in Oct/Nov.

If you are talking G1 - their are no real Takara reissues, and some real close KO's. So, you will have to take a risk on buying anything that is marked original. They normally do have differences on the box so look into finding out what those are and you could keep yourself from getting a KO.

Most Amazon 3rd parties are overpriced on TF's. I would not use them unless it was the only option. I am not sure how/if Amazon protects the buyer in the case of KO's.

Easiest way to spot the newer, "G1 original" boxed knockoffs of Grimlock are to look at the box before purchase, if possible. It's the easiest one to catch because of a glaring typo right there on the front. Instead of "Dinobot Commander" it says "Dinobot Bommander", LOL. To the best of my knowledge this still hasn't been corrected by the notorious bootlegger that is putting these and other G1 complete/sealed box knockoffs out.

Loose and open is far more difficult, since these newer KOs are fairly good copies both quality wise and accuracy wise, though there are some tells you can look for. You can find all that info at various places on the web.

Chances are though, if it's a "Complete in sealed box" or "new in box" G1 Grimlock, it's a knockoff. I have a legit boxed/complete G1 Grimlock all in near mint/mint condition, another loose legit complete G1, an original bootleg G1 that is extremely good quality (major difference outside of the stickers was the red torso piece is blue), and a G2 legit blue Grimlock.

Oh, I am not aware of any KO's for the Animated one, but they could be out there. However, I wouldn't think they would be too widespread. More than likely, the one you looked at on Amazon is legit. I believe they are starting the Animated figures back up after the movie figures sell down and they had a Gold Grimlock planned. Not sue if that is still in the works but it may be another option if you have to wait.

Animated? I still see that in a few stores that have leftover Animated stock. Target and Toys R Us especially.

BBTS is 110% legitimate and reputable. I have been a customer of theirs for years, and they have great customer service. I am sure if you contact them they will be more than happy to help you out with any info you may need.

bread's done
Back