Legitimate way to play imports? Berserk = Import Friendly?

WildWop

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to import the Berserk game, and have two things I'd like cleared up before I place the order (any help you all can provide would be great):

1) Is there some way that I can play imports on my PS2 without use of a modchip (a'la Freeloader on Gamecube)?

2) Is Berserk import friendly? I wouldn't be able to read japanese if my life depended on it, but I'm a fan of the material and the DC game was a lot of fun.

Thanks

[quote name='WildWop']I'm looking to import the Berserk game, and have two things I'd like cleared up before I place the order (any help you all can provide would be great):

1) Is there some way that I can play imports on my PS2 without use of a modchip (a'la Freeloader on Gamecube)?

2) Is Berserk import friendly? I wouldn't be able to read japanese if my life depended on it, but I'm a fan of the material and the DC game was a lot of fun.

Thanks[/quote]

1. Yes. Although you still have to do a slight modification to your PS2 (either removing something, or replacing something), it's still a way to play import games without having to buy a modchip. You do, however, have to buy the bootup discs (Swap Magic).
2. Are you talking about Berserk - Millennium Falcon? I have the game, and it's somewhat import friendly. I can't read Japanese either, so whatever the plot is, I have no clue on it. However, the fighting is straight-forward. It plays similar to Berserk on the Dreamcast, BUT the fighting is much more "realistic" and much more fun overall. You can feel the weight of the sword as Guts/Gutsu swings it. I haven't played the game all that much, but if you want, I could spend half an hour/1 hour on it and give my impressions.

[quote name='Socheata'][quote name='WildWop']I'm looking to import the Berserk game, and have two things I'd like cleared up before I place the order (any help you all can provide would be great):

Thanks[/quote]

1. Yes. Although you still have to do a slight modification to your PS2 (either removing something, or replacing something), it's still a way to play import games without having to buy a modchip. You do, however, have to buy the bootup discs (Swap Magic).
2. Are you talking about Berserk - Millennium Falcon? I have the game, and it's somewhat import friendly. I can't read Japanese either, so whatever the plot is, I have no clue on it. However, the fighting is straight-forward. It plays similar to Berserk on the Dreamcast, BUT the fighting is much more "realistic" and much more fun overall. You can feel the weight of the sword as Guts/Gutsu swings it. I haven't played the game all that much, but if you want, I could spend half an hour/1 hour on it and give my impressions.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply!

If Millennium Falcon is the name of the PS2 Berserk released in October or November of last year, then yeah, that's the one. If you get a chance to play around with it some more, I'd definitely appreciate some impressions.

As to the SwapMagic... if I had to open up my PS2 and void the warranty and STILL have to swap discs... not such a great option. I'm not sure if HDLoader or HDAdvance are viable topics here anymore (if not, just don't address this question), but is there some way I could put Berserk on my HDD to circumvent the need for a modchip? (it's not like I won't legally own the game or anything)

Bump to see if anyone can help... I'm already going to be ordering a PS2->Xbox controller converter from lik-sang, and was going to order either Berserk or Naruto 3 depending on this thread.

Help if you can please!

[quote name='PHaLaNX GTR']So, it's not coming Stateside? I've been hoping to check out this game (Guts is in my sig).[/quote]

No, Sammy has repeatedly announced in their forums that there are no current or future plans to bring Berserk to the US.

[quote name='WildWop']Bump to see if anyone can help... I'm already going to be ordering a PS2->Xbox controller converter from lik-sang, and was going to order either Berserk or Naruto 3 depending on this thread.

Help if you can please![/quote]

I've not played Berserk, but I can tell you that Naruto 3 is pretty darn import friendly.

As for the HDD solution there's a way to do it, but it's still the same if not more hassle & cost than a slide card + swap magic. Which by the way, you don't exactly open the PS2 with a slide card. If you google it or something you should find some various faqs. Though if you have a slim model the slide card won't get you anywhere. If you where to get a flip top then you'd be voiding the warranty for sure.

[quote name='eldad9']Sorry, if you live in the U.S. there is no legitimate way to play imports. Circumventing region codes is illegal.[/quote]

Not true...Dunno about all the legality involved in it, but you could play imports by simply buying a native Japanese PS2. A perfectly legal means I'm sure.

[quote name='eldad9']Sorry, if you live in the U.S. there is no legitimate way to play imports. Circumventing region codes is illegal.[/quote]

Yeah, this is not entirely true. Every DVD-ROM drive for the PC manufactured for the US is region 1-encoded. However, you're able to switch to a different region under the drive's settings. Unfortunately, you can only do this up to four times with each DVD drive. So if circumventing region codes is illegal, I'm sure everyone who owns a DVD drive for their PC is violating that law.

What I'm getting to, is that Action Replay has a DVD feature for the PS2 where you can "override" the PS2's current region code setting (for DVDs, not games). Datel would've been in violation of region codes as well if it was illegal.

If you've read volumes 23-27 , then you should be fine with the story. The games menu is in English, and some other parts. But the weapon, skill, and character upgrades are in Japanese, but here's the translation...

Stamina 20 000
Berserker Mode 15 000
Sword Speed 45 000
Sword Combos 7500
Concentrated attack (triangle) 10 000
Cannon Arm 20 000
Bowgun 10 000
Mini-grenades 15 000
Knifes throwing 7500

Here's a guide if you get stuck in the game http://webspace.ringling.edu/~ccannon/berserk/chart.html

Great game for Berserk fans, if you can find the collectors edition at a good price, then go for it.

It is illegal for any DVD player manufacture to sell a region free DVD player. For the PC DVD drive, like you said they have a limit so you can't change it as often as you like (unless you can find a hacked firmware) Not sure about Datel but it would be illegal for Sony to do this.

bread's done
Back