LEGO Deals 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I completed my Series 4 set and want to let go of some dupes. If anyone wants to buy my extras I have the following:

Wolfman
Punk Rocker (x2)
Hockey Player
Hazmat
Mad Scientist
Artist

I needed to verify the contents so they are opened, but not assembled. I'm asking $2.99 (what I paid) + shipping/paypal fee. I have some bubble mailer laying around and a small box for shipping if you want to purchase a few together. If anyone is interested contact me asap and I'll ship out by today. Thanks!

I am a little new to collecting minifigs. I visited family this week and found 4 untouched boxes of Series 3 at their Wal-Mart. I got all the figures except the Samurai (couldn't seem to "feel" the sword). I also got the Atlantis Deep Sea Striker for $9 and the the Portal of Atantis for $49. I am looking forward to putting that one together. :)

[quote name='bigtaco55']I am a little new to collecting minifigs. I visited family this week and found 4 untouched boxes of Series 3 at their Wal-Mart. I got all the figures except the Samurai (couldn't seem to "feel" the sword). [/QUOTE] The armor on the samurai is easy to feel.

2nd order of 26
Lawn Gnomes 1
Kimono Girls 1
Punk Rockers 4
Vikings 2
The Monsters 2
Hockey Players 1
Street Skaters 1
Sailors 4
Werewolves 5
Artists 4
Crazy Scientists 1

I'm still looking for:

1 - Ice Skater
2 - Crazy Scientists
1 - Monster
4 - Vikings

I'm willing to trade to get 1:1 above:
Kimono Girls (4)
Musketeers (1)
Punk Rockers (7)
Surfer Girls (3)
Hockey Players (2)
Street Skaters (3)
Sailors (7)
Soccer Players (2)
Werewolves (4)
Artists (4)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PANZERGRENADIER']The armor on the samurai is easy to feel.[/QUOTE]

Lawn Gnomes -- Fishing pole & legs
Kimono Girls -- "dress" wedge & fan
Musketeers -- Hat and sword
Punk Rockers -- hair and guitar
Surfer Girls -- surf board
Vikings -- sheild
The Monsters -- no accessories except bowl hair
Hockey Players -- stick with armor
Street Skaters -- skate board
Sailors -- Hat and telescope
Soccer Players -- the trophy
Werewolves -- BONE
Hazmat Guys -- big friggin armor
Artists -- palette and brush
Ice Skaters -- skate and maybe hair
Crazy Scientists -- soft hair and beaker glass

I didn't use the dots at all...

[quote name='xycury']Lawn Gnomes -- Fishing pole & legs
Kimono Girls -- "dress" wedge & fan
Musketeers -- Hat and sword
Punk Rockers -- hair and guitar
Surfer Girls -- surf board
Vikings -- sheild
The Monsters -- no accessories except bowl hair
Hockey Players -- stick with armor
Street Skaters -- skate board
Sailors -- Hat and telescope
Soccer Players -- the trophy
Werewolves -- BONE
Hazmat Guys -- big friggin armor
Artists -- palette and brush
Ice Skaters -- skate and maybe hair
Crazy Scientists -- soft hair and beaker glass

I didn't use the dots at all...[/QUOTE]

These ones were a lot easier to feel than series 3, like I mentioned before Frankenstein and the Werewolves were kind of hard to distinguish if you didn't find the bone.

[quote name='skiizim']These ones were a lot easier to feel than series 3, like I mentioned before Frankenstein and the Werewolves were kind of hard to distinguish if you didn't find the bone.[/QUOTE]

I found Frankenstein to be one of the easiest because of the flat top.

[quote name='prim4444']I found Frankenstein to be one of the easiest because of the flat top.[/QUOTE]

I think the hazmat guy, because of the HUGE dome of armor he's got to wear.

Hazmat guy and Kimono Girl is by far the easiest for me, but overall this series is has been the easiest to decipher by feel. I was at the LEGO store last night and there was a kid with a cheat sheet who was taking forever in trying to find who he needed. I actually made it faster for him by helping him out with the touch and feel method. Like S3, the dots are not easy to see and some are more visible from the front rather than the back.

1st shipment of S4 at my LEGO store was 70 boxes and they still have about 15 boxes of S3 left.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']Hazmat guy and Kimono Girl is by far the easiest for me, but overall this series is has been the easiest to decipher by feel. I was at the LEGO store last night and there was a kid with a cheat sheet who was taking forever in trying to find who he needed. I actually made it faster for him by helping him out with the touch and feel method. Like S3, the dots are not easy to see and some are more visible from the front rather than the back.

1st shipment of S4 at my LEGO store was 70 boxes and they still have about 15 boxes of S3 left.[/QUOTE]

Wow 4200 minifigs

TRU barely gets a few here

[quote name='scp89']series 3 mf - bogo 50% off at TRU - tons near me[/QUOTE]

Looks like in-store only? Aside from shortly after series one came out, I can never find any in the TRU near me. :cry:

[quote name='JAYMATIK']SD has a post with a BN coupon for 50% off. 502001 is the 50% coupon.[/QUOTE]
Picked up the Creationary game with the coupon. Thinking about getting the Ninjago Dojo, it would be 22.50 with the coupon + membership discount. Just not sure I like it well enough. Also have been debating getting a second Pyramid for $45.

picked up harry potter castle for 50 % off at bn minus 10% per rc -minus $10 in kids club rewards :)

wife also grabbed kings castle for 50% minus 10% - good lego day :)

anyone interested in any S3 mf at the TRU BOGO 50% off - PM I can grab some tomorrow - (random figures or full cases - I'm heading tomorrow )

[quote name='xycury']BN now has a 50% off coup good through sunday… go to SD for links

Of course none of these can be used online for Lego[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JAYMATIK']SD has a post with a BN coupon for 50% off. 502001 is the 50% coupon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that early yesterday and posted it. I would have given a link but I was on my iphone.... hate that thing.

Unfortunately I can't use any coupons online....

[quote name='ackbar7']Picked up the Creationary game with the coupon. Thinking about getting the Ninjago Dojo, it would be 22.50 with the coupon + membership discount. Just not sure I like it well enough. Also have been debating getting a second Pyramid for $45.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='scp89']picked up harry potter castle for 50 % off at bn minus 10% per rc -minus $10 in kids club rewards :)

anyone interested in any S3 mf at the TRU BOGO 50% off - PM I can grab some tomorrow - (random figures or full cases - I'm heading tomorrow )[/QUOTE]

And so freaking jealous again.... my BN has got shit.

like 1 City set, 10 bioncles, and 3 racers... they had last last years atlantis on the shark and that's it.

If I could have found a freaking pyramid, I wouldn't be waiting my time with TRU...

There's shit here, and it sucks.

Thanks for the Barnes Noble coupon.

Scored a Lego City Police Station and a Lego Harry Potter Train Set in 2 different transactions. Never too early to start for Christmas!

I got the "Wow, lucky you! 50%" from both cashiers.

I am also a BNN member, so it took 10% off and then 50% off.

I REALLLLLLY wanted the HP Castle at that price but could not find a store in my area that had it.

[quote name='scp89']picked up harry potter castle for 50 % off at bn minus 10% per rc -minus $10 in kids club rewards :)

anyone interested in any S3 mf at the TRU BOGO 50% off - PM I can grab some tomorrow - (random figures or full cases - I'm heading tomorrow )[/QUOTE]

I have never seen either one of those sets at bn. Nice finds

Finished up my brothers series 3 and 4 today. two out of three tru had both sets and the third had none. just need some extra vikings and one more hockey player. since my borders took a crap looks like i should see if my local barnes and noble has legos. 50% off! wonder how long it will take for them to start cracking down on that.

if anyone is interested in trading some S4 minifigures - I have a couple extra - I have spare skater dude, werewolf, and artist - also have some S3 extras - Indian, Pilot, Hula Girl etc - for S3 still need Tennis Player, Gorilla and Cyborg - for S4 still need - Soccer, Scientist, Viking, Musketeer, Hockey, Gnome, Hazmat guy, Kimono Girl

Thanks...

Thanks for the heads up on the 50% off B&N coupon. I've been able to use it at a few nearby B&Ns to get some decent starter sets built up for the kids.

...though I'm a bit disappointed that someone bought the Creator Log Cabin set out from underneath me. It was the one I wanted most, but my daughter was with me the first time we were at the store that had the Log Cabin, and she wanted to get the pink block set first. I went back the next morning and somebody beat me to it. Grrr.

I'm curious, are either of the Hogwarts Castle or King's Castle sets desirable? They've got quite a few of them at a B&N in my area, and I'll get one or both if they're somehow considered limited. My kids won't dig them now, but they might in a few years. I didn't get them now because those sets seemed kinda boring. I know they have their fans, it's just a lot of gray pieces and I didn't think the little ones would dig on it much. They like houses and vehicles. But if those two castles are hard to come by, I'll buy them and stick em in the basement.

Kings's Castle is a great set, if you are into the Castle/Kingdoms theme it is really a must, especially at half off. I have yet to build my Hogwarts, but if you think your kids will be into Harry Potter it seems worth it to me. Not sure how limited either of them is, but I would imagine that Hogwarts will be at least a fairly desirable set once it is discontinued.

I think I'm also going for the King's Castle. I found a store close by that has a few big sets at MSRP and with 50% this might be the best deal for a while.

My B&N had some sets, the Cretaor House and the Plane. I didn't want to risk the the chance I didn't get the 50% off coupon to print (like i clicked the wrong one) because I only has $28 on me, it was an interesting weekend. :lol: My BN has a lot of down sets and a few Creator and PQ (The $30 and $50 ones I think) sets.

The only set over $50 at my BN was the police station.

And my Target is not getting any Ninjago ploy-bag sets in, even through they have the tag up.

Not sure if anyone has noticed the May LEGO Store Calendar but most of the summer sets will be released in May.

PotC comes out April 16th or 18.
City Boats comes out May 10th, same with Alien Conquest.
Cars 2 comes out may 18th or 16th.

[quote name='bigdaddy']My B&N had some sets, the Cretaor House and the Plane. I didn't want to risk the the chance I didn't get the 50% off coupon to print (like i clicked the wrong one) because I only has $28 on me, it was an interesting weekend. :lol: My BN has a lot of down sets and a few Creator and PQ (The $30 and $50 ones I think) sets.

The only set over $50 at my BN was the police station.

[/QUOTE]
This sounds very similar to the selection at my BN. I did end up picking up the Spinjitzu Dojo since I realized I had a groupon and a $5 reward to spend. Paying only $10 for that set seemed pretty good to me, don't know that I would have payed any more though. I wish the Sphinx set was better, would have gotten that but I think the dog head on it looks stupid.

I don't mean to sound like a grumpy bastard, but most of these themed sets -- like the Ninjago (sp?) -- are beyond me.

In searching for the kids, I figured LEGO would still have the classics in circulation. The basic Town sets, the cool old Pirate/Island sets with the palm trees, the original space sets. You know, the stuff from the late 70s to late 80s. But most of what's out there is gaudy, flashy themed stuff. Maybe if I were a Star Wars fan I'd notice less, seems like there's more than enough Star Wars-themed sets to go around. Anyhow, even the City sets just seem like they're trying a touch too hard for my tastes.

I don't know why they don't keep the classics in circulation, or maybe why everything has to be so damned hard to come by.

Not that I'm a negative nancy, there's good stuff out there, of course. I like the Creator and some of the Town sets, and the Bricks & More sets remind me of some of the stuff from my youth (simple but with lots of possibilities). I wish they weren't so eager to discontinue the Creator sets, seems like I missed out on some really nice stuff that saw the light of day for only a few years.

[quote name='dothog'] I wish they weren't so eager to discontinue the Creator sets, seems like I missed out on some really nice stuff that saw the light of day for only a few years.[/QUOTE]

Generally Lego sets are in stores for a couple years. The positive side is that some older creator sets are still readily available for decent prices on Bricklink, eBay, etc. Some sets do get inflated once they are only available in the secondary market, though.

As for trying not to be a grumpy bastard, I understand where you're coming from. Just be glad it's not 1998. Now THAT was a depressing time for Lego Town fans.

I really don't see what you are complaining about with LEGO City. They are trying to hard? To what? Make decent sets? I don't get it.

LEGO adapts to this ADD kids of today, they had Pirates two years ago, now it's PotC. Castle is as great as always, and even Alien Conquest has a classical feel to it. Star Wars sucks, but I ignore it. :)

[quote name='skiizim']Leave my Star Wars Set alone!!!!![/QUOTE]

I leave ALL Star Bores sets alone. ;)

I hope Star Wars ends soon, such a waste with all the Clone Wars bullshit. 30 sets a year and 25 of them are Clone Wars or prequel crap. Let's make some more A and B Wings.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Let's make some more A and B Wings.[/QUOTE]

lol.... The only reason I bought so many Home One sets was for the A-Wing, I think I have 4 sets.

Since I picked up this LEGO habit a month ago I knew I had to have a diesel. I used the 50% off B&N coupon to get the Mobile Police Unit and it is awesome.

At the LEGO store there was a single box of Series 3 and I scored a couple of Cyborgs.

Some Kingdoms 4.99 Sets showed up at the local TRU. Looking at Brickipedia I have to guess these were found in the stockroom and dusted off. I have tons of Castle stuff from the 80's-90's but I'm tempted to get that Dragon Wizard Guy.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I really don't see what you are complaining about with LEGO City. They are trying to hard? To what? Make decent sets? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]
The "trying too hard" comment was vague. Sorry about that.

They try too hard in one sense in that I see more than I'd like of large, highly specialized pieces to give a build a slicker look. One example is the space shuttle. The entire nose, IIRC, is one huge molded piece. They could've easily put in 15-20 small pieces to approximate the rounded, slick look of that shuttle nose, but instead they took a shortcut (IMO). That nose is forever the "space shuttle piece," most kids aren't using that in their made-up builds.

They're LEGO, by their nature they should be modular and versatile. Maybe people are sick of the brick look and they like one "finished" piece that flies in the face of everything being bricky. I'm new to town, I think that's lame. They're friggin LEGO, they're bricks, I'm not sculpting in clay and I don't expect it to look like it.

A nit pickier example of flash in the City sets is the Police Station. IIRC it's got a lower smaller building that connects to a larger building on the right. That larger building is composed mostly of huge windows -- windows everywhere. It's too futuristic, too stark. Especially for LEGO. Where's the brick in that sheet of windows? I realize this point is more aesthetic, as at least all those windows could easily be used in other builds.

But most of all, for what they're offering up now under the City theme (I've seen tons of cop stuff, a little firefighter, nothing too exciting for what they are), the City sets are unnecessarily pricey. I can see why the branded Star Wars and Harry Potter give a lousy return on bricks per buck, but why are the City sets -- or rather, what I've seen of them -- so expensive? An example is the big yellow truck. It's not like it's an Imperial Cargo Transport or the Hogwarts Express Sleeping Car. It's a big, bland banana of a yellow truck. Why is it ~$35 for not even 300 pieces?

I guess I'm learning the ropes, here. Apologies for going on, but there's a bit more on the "trying too hard" comment. It's dodgy on look, utility, and price is a better way of putting it.

EDIT: And to reiterate, I'm not all grumpy gus, there's a lot of recent stuff LEGO is doing that I like. I was just commenting on the City stuff here, I thought it would be more basic, a touch more economic.

I like their recent Castle themed stuff. There's a set called Medieval Village that has some really nifty brickwork in the build, it seems really smart. I wanted to get it, as it's town/houses and that might be meeting the kids halfway, but even though it's technically still in release, I can't find it anywhere for less than 150% of MSRP. That is decidedly NOT cheap ass. No pretty village for me -- I mean, the kids.

I really think that if you are looking for something along the lines of the classics that Kingdoms is the way to go. I really like all of the sets that have come out, and all of the sets that are planned. Of course if you are looking for the town stuff you just have to avoid all of the police/fire department stuff, since they seem to just stick to those themes. But there is some stuff, it is just kind of hard to find. And as far as price, you just have to wait out sales, like the BN coupon deal that is ending today or various clearances. Using the Truck example you used, it would have been 17.50 with the coupon, or even ~$16 if you have the BN membership, which I have found is worth it for LEGO and Criterion blu-rays alone.
Collecting LEGOs is all about waiting out the good deals, and accepting that it means you may miss out on a set or 2 you really wanted. At least for me that is how I am able to afford my terrible LEGO habit.

Yeah, I dig it, ackbar, thanks for the words of encouragement.

The point I was making on the price of the City set is that, even with the 50% off, the yellow truck wasn't that great a deal. I think it had roughly 275 pieces, and considering I get half off, $18 for 275 pieces isn't nearly the return I was getting on the Bricks and More and Creator sets I was picking up.

I think of it in bricks-per-buck, and for a few Bricks and More sets (one was an airport one with a red airplane and green truck, the kid already built em up), I was getting 30 pieces per dollar (just over $10 for 313 pieces). That's nearly double the return I'd get from the City yellow truck at half off. I was getting a minimum of 20 bpb on everything else I bought at BN.

I know it isn't all about brick-per-buck, that smaller pieces inflate the counts, that there's something to be said for the look of things, etc., but still, the City sets seem a touch high to me, given what they are.

Can't say I disagree with you, and the bricks per buck vary pretty wildly. I have been fairly disappointed in the City sets this year, and aside from the bank I am not sure there is anything I especially want to pick up, and that is another fairly expensive set, brick for brick.
I do think at half off the shuttle was a pretty good price. $15 for the shuttle and a pretty cool astronaut minifig seems like a decent price, and technically they are calling that City.

[quote name='dothog']The "trying too hard" comment was vague. Sorry about that.

They try too hard in one sense in that I see more than I'd like of large, highly specialized pieces to give a build a slicker look. One example is the space shuttle. The entire nose, IIRC, is one huge molded piece. They could've easily put in 15-20 small pieces to approximate the rounded, slick look of that shuttle nose, but instead they took a shortcut (IMO). That nose is forever the "space shuttle piece," most kids aren't using that in their made-up builds.

They're LEGO, by their nature they are modular and versatile. Maybe people are sick of the brick look and they like one "finished" piece that flies in the face of everything being bricky. I'm new to town, I think that's lame, they're friggin LEGO, they're bricks, I'm not sculpting in clay and I don't expect it to look like it.

A nit pickier example of flash in the City sets is the Police Station. IIRC it's got a lower smaller building that connects to a larger building on the right. That larger building is composed mostly of huge windows -- windows everywhere. It's too futuristic, too stark. Especially for LEGO. Where's the brick in that sheet of windows? I realize this point is more aesthetic, as at least all those windows could easily be used in other builds.

But most of all, for what they're offering up now under the City theme (I've seen tons of cop stuff, a little firefighter, nothing too exciting for what they are), the City sets are unnecessarily pricey. I can see why the branded Star Wars and Harry Potter give a lousy return on bricks per buck, but why are the City sets -- or rather, what I've seen of them -- so expensive?

An example is the big yellow truck. It's not like it's an Imperial Cargo Transport or the Hogwarts Express Sleeping Car. It's a big, bland banana of a yellow truck. Why is it ~$35 for not even 300 pieces?

I guess I'm learning the ropes, here. Apologies for going on, but there's a bit more on the "trying too hard" comment. It's dodgy on look, utility, and price is a better way of putting it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you are just being nit picky. :lol:

The "shuttle nose" is actually an airplane nose from a few years back. If you want a shuttle than buy the $100 one with 1000+ pieces. The reason the $30 shuttle uses that nose is it's cheaper than using several pieces that LEGO doesn't have in the factory right now. LEGO has a price point for a set and they use the cheapest pieces to get to that point. If you want a building that has bricks then buy the Creator houses or the huge $150 sets.

LEGO prices haven't gone up in 20 years, they were pretty much the same price from 1985 to 2005 even as oil prices rose. Recently LEGO prices have gone through the roof and no one really understands why the City sets this year cost so much, it really is insane. Wait until the new Harbor theme comes out, it's insanely priced. However everything had windows, and bricks, it's not like windows are new. Where were the bricks in the old style castles with huge piece walls? LEGO has always had some big pieces but no one complained when they were children. I think part of you is thinking about to happier, care free days and that LEGO was perfect when it wasn't. It's not perfect today, and it's not the same, but it evolved to a place where the sets aren't horrible. Someone here brought up the 1998 Town sets, look at Town between 1998 and like 2002, the sets are horrible, LEGO came very close to going bankrupt and being sold. LEGO used to make 120-150 sets a year, they now make 400-500 new sets a year. There is something for everyone, this year just happens to be a horrible year for City. You missed the great Coast Guard theme from a year years back. Plus Pirates wasn't too bad either, but PotC killed that.

Right now there is a ton of shit in the catalog (and I didn't get my free game!), it's probably the worst half a year for LEGO in awhile. The new PotC sets look good, but have no canons(!), the new Alien Conquest sets also look good, and the big tank set looks like classic space and new style mixed together. The new Kingdoms set, while stupidity named, look amazing, have bricks and are pretty well priced (for the most part).

With LEGO making so many more sets than they used to, so buy a Log Cabin, it has bricks and is cheap. Something for everyone.

Why doesn't LEGO make old sets? The molds could be broken for some pieces and are out of print. However someone asked LEGO why they don't make LEGO Legend sets like they used to in the early 2000s. The honest answer was that LEGO makes better sets now (once again the 1988-2002 years were really bad and remaking older sets isn't necessary, but also they don't sell as well as LEGO thought they would. Tastes in LEGO sets has changed and even all the adults going "We'd buy them" doesn't actually happen.

If you really want to know LEGO's thinking, look into reading the 2010 LEGO Annual Report. It's on their website, it's interesting to see what sells and what doesn't and what the companies thinking is. What I found most intersting is in 2007 the best selling set of the year was the fire station...

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7945-1

Very few bricks (no side walls) and a lot of windows and open space, and it still sold well

Fair enough. You're right on many counts, it could be nostalgia creeping in. The only points I would hold to are...

1. I agree with you, the big smooth nose piece on the shuttle is cheap. That doesn't excuse it, even more so, it's a problem given the overall cost of the set. They should make that nose piece at least 5 or 6 pieces instead, using maybe skinny, angled roof pieces to form the cone. That's a fair trade-off, and now you've got pieces you can use in more than one set.

2. City sets are pricey relative to other plain jane LEGO themes (not branded). I don't get it. I've missed a lot in the City theme, I know, but for cop boats and yellow semi-trailers, I don't see why that's worth roughly the same price per piece as Star Wars/Potter. It isn't.

As for reprints on old sets, I can't say much for the poor sales. Could it be possible that LEGO re-released those sets with (relatively) ridiculous price tags? Given the way they price to begin with, I'd suspect that might be possible.

I don't recall Lego sets ever being cheap. One of my favorite sets when I was a kid was the Mega Core Magnetizer (What? I liked M-Tron! Red, Black, and Neon Green ftw!). To this day I specifically remember the MSRP being $60 because my parents thought it was really expensive (they bought it at TRU haha!). Looking at Brickset it had about 500 pieces (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6989-1). In many ways looking back at that set I still think it was a great set, but I bet if that set was released today it would actually be BETTER. Yes, the Price per Piece has gone up, but overall I think the actual set quality has gotten better. Maybe it's Lego releasing more sets so they can appeal to a broader range of buyers, or maybe it's just Lego is getting better at making appealing sets. Call me crazy, if you want.

I know co-workers who are parents and are always shocked about Lego's cost. "$10 for just this little box!" To me, it's worth it (but I also wait for sales). big daddy is right about the prices holding steady for a long time. The recent spike is jarring, but I really like the direction of some of the themes (castle, aliens).

[quote name='GoingIncognito']I don't recall Lego sets ever being cheap.[/QUOTE]

I realize that they have always been pricey. However, some sets are more expensive per brick than others. I don't get why the City sets are in that group.

big daddy provided some good detail on this point: something as boring as the Fire Station was a best seller for them. It could be that LEGO moves a lot of City sets relative to Castle or Creator, and so they bump the City MSRP for the cheddar, son. I ain't hatin.

Also, I've discovered Brickset now and have a want list built up. It's helpful, though I wish they'd have pictures or better descriptions of upcoming sets so I know what I'm looking for. I'm not even going to bother putting discontinued sets on my wantlist, I'm not in this to pay over MSRP, let alone pay MSRP straight out. Anyhow, I suppose the lack of preview info for upcoming sets falls on LEGO. Brickset's a great site, it's really helpful.

Although I haven't been collecting as long as some members here I have learned a few things about the Company from my interactions with Lego retail store management. The City theme accounts for about 30% of the company's revenue and is their most popular self proclaimed theme. Basically, their cream of the crop. It only makes sense that they heavily market and roll out these sets continuously at a hefty price because one way or another, it will sell. It's like coffee at Starbucks, you can buy the regular cup-o-joe or go for a Latte which, some may argue, is less intense and more money. Yet, it's their money maker and they continue to roll out different flavors for it.

With their "specialty" themes like Architecture, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc., they pay a hefty premium to license those themes so seeing those priced higher is of no surprise.

I agree that using one-piece parts like that nose on the shuttle is ugly and pretty much a travesty to what is supposed to be the "tool" of imagination, but at the end of the day LEGO is as corporate as any other company and the more they save the more they bank.

Just a heads up.

I was at Fred Meyer last night and they got re-stocked with at least 6 boxes of Series 4. They got in two boxes originally and sold out in 3 days. So check your stores they should have gotten replenishment.

I was also at the Lego store this weekend and picked up the last three I needed. Drew at the Bellevue store was the hero of the day. He's got mad skills at finding out what is in the package. The moral, as the employee at the lego stores if you have one near by, the must be asked daily to help and are good at it.

They put the new maersk train out for sale at 10am and sold out of 20 units by 11:30. I at least got free shipping.

[quote name='dothog'] big daddy provided some good detail on this point: something as boring as the Fire Station was a best seller for them. It could be that LEGO moves a lot of City sets relative to Castle or Creator, and so they bump the City MSRP for the cheddar, son. I ain't hatin.[/QUOTE]
The Creator sets are, for the most part, not the best sets to compare when discussing prices. Years spent at LEGO fan sites have told me that the supposed golden price point is 10 cents per piece (when talking retail prices). A $10 dollar set should have around 100 pieces, $40 should have around 400 pieces, etc. The Creator sets, for the most part, blow this away (Winter Toy Shop-$60 for 815 pieces and a number of figures, Winter VIllage Bakery-$55 for 687 pieces and some figures, Log Cabin-$30 for 355 pieces and a figure, Super Speedster-$20 for 287 pieces, Apple Tree House-$45 for 539 pieces, etc). There are exceptions, like the current robot (but it has a light up brick, which it should be obvious that that particular piece is more expensive than a random brick) and the jet (with 2 light bricks). Also, most Creator sets don't have figures, which company folks have said are more expensive to produce than bricks so they can have an impact on the price. Some sets are pricing anomolies that no one can explain and some sets have more expensive parts so they look like they are a bad deal. In other words, it's not just the number of pieces but what kind of pieces. Lots of plates are cheaper to make than lots of bricks. I don't follow City much, but looking over the prices of some of the sets I am in agreement that some of the prices seem out of whack even taking into account the factors I mentioned. I'm more into Castle/Kingdoms and I usually wait until the TRU buy 2 get 1 free sales to load up.
Also, I've discovered Brickset now and have a want list built up. It's helpful, though I wish they'd have pictures or better descriptions of upcoming sets so I know what I'm looking for. I'm not even going to bother putting discontinued sets on my wantlist, I'm not in this to pay over MSRP, let alone pay MSRP straight out. Anyhow, I suppose the lack of preview info for upcoming sets falls on LEGO. Brickset's a great site, it's really helpful.
I don't know how much you have looked around, but some fan sites have information about upcoming sets out to the fall (for some themes) along with pictures. They also discuss the finer points of the pricing scheme (or at least the parts that are known to us) and just about any other general LEGO discussion you can think of. Also, you should keep an eye on Ebay and Bricklink for older sets if you are after any. They aren't all astronomically priced. I sometimes luck out on Ebay and get big lots that are mostly things I am after for a lot less than I would pay for the various parts if they were seperate.

Apologies if any of that has been discussed already or considered common knowledge.

[quote name='dothog']Fair enough. You're right on many counts, it could be nostalgia creeping in. The only points I would hold to are...

1. I agree with you, the big smooth nose piece on the shuttle is cheap. That doesn't excuse it, even more so, it's a problem given the overall cost of the set. They should make that nose piece at least 5 or 6 pieces instead, using maybe skinny, angled roof pieces to form the cone. That's a fair trade-off, and now you've got pieces you can use in more than one set.

2. City sets are pricey relative to other plain jane LEGO themes (not branded). I don't get it. I've missed a lot in the City theme, I know, but for cop boats and yellow semi-trailers, I don't see why that's worth roughly the same price per piece as Star Wars/Potter. It isn't.

As for reprints on old sets, I can't say much for the poor sales. Could it be possible that LEGO re-released those sets with (relatively) ridiculous price tags? Given the way they price to begin with, I'd suspect that might be possible.[/QUOTE]

On 1 and 2 I completely agree, I'm just explaining why they did it. The shuttle nose just looks wrong, it actually looks decent on planes.

City prices have only recently gone up. 2007 the Fire Station had 600 pieces and cost $60 pieces. A Fire Station 20 years ago had 500 pieces and cost $50, so because of inflation sets got cheaper over time.

This year LEGO went nuts with the City prices. Have you seen the harbor and other boat sets? A $20 boat (that looks nice) has 67 pieces! The $50 harbor has 260, it's really nuts and for that I really have no clue why the sudden price increase. However besides Star Wars, City is LEGO's number one seller, so I guess they figured they can raise the prices like Star Wars.

And LEGO Legends were fine priced. I have Main Street and the Pizza Place and it was $65 and $20 I think. Boys today want action, and easy building, and not a boring street. Times change and LEGO has changed with them. You can still find bricks but you will fine insane themes like NinjaGo.

And here are the upcoming sets with the prices...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/collections/72157626044615538/

Once again it's a horrible year for City fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back