LEGO Deals 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I was at Target all that was left was a ton of Atlantis Portals and PQ Pyramids at 30% off. Most of the other sets disappeared before Christmas.

Might check tomorrow if the weather is a bit better here.

It's like that here too, my guess is that it's just a matter of time before people start doing this everywhere.

I didn't mean to imply everything was 70%. The bigger stuff like the Pyramid and City of Atlantis was just going to 50%. Though some of the smaller stuff seemed to jump straight to 70%. A lot of the non-Lego stuff was 70% as well.

Picked up Mountain Shrine and Sensei Woo both for 1/2 off. Also saw a couple of Portal of Atlantis sets and lots of Spinjitzu Dojo for 1/2 off, but passed.
edit: also why is Jeff Gorvette one of the Cars 2 sets? The other individual cars available are McQueen, 2 different Maters, Finn McMissile and Francesco. Alright, those all make sense, but wouldn't there be more of a market for Sally, Holly, Fillmore, Sarge or several other cars?

The family and I are visiting Legoland Carlsbad this weekend. Any CAG tips that might save me a few bucks while i'm there?

[quote name='ackbar7']Picked up Mountain Shrine and Sensei Woo both for 1/2 off. Also saw a couple of Portal of Atlantis sets and lots of Spinjitzu Dojo for 1/2 off, but passed.
edit: also why is Jeff Gorvette one of the Cars 2 sets? The other individual cars available are McQueen, 2 different Maters, Finn McMissile and Francesco. Alright, those all make sense, but wouldn't there be more of a market for Sally, Holly, Fillmore, Sarge or several other cars?[/QUOTE]

http://pixar.wikia.com/Jeff_Gorvette

Voiced by Jeff Gordon, famous USA racer, so maybe Lego pandering to nascar kiddies?

Several trips and $500+ later boy am I tired, picked up a ton of presents and managed to squeeze in some Lego for myself.

Picked up 5 Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper Battle Packs, T*6 Jedi Shuttle, City Marina (70%), City Space Center, PoTC White Cap Bay (70%), Atlantis Anglar, Ninjago Ninja Shrine, Cars Macks Team Truck (Finally), Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ, Alien Conquest Jet Copter (70%), and Pharaohs Quest Golden Staff Guardian. Not Lego but related picked up Kree-o Optiumus Prime, Sentinel Prime, and MegaTron all 70% off.

I did see Lego City Fire Station 7208 for $40 and regret not picking it up, only seen it on clearance at one Target while the other ones had it on sale?!??!

Really good day for myself, wish some of you had better luck than me. ='(

[quote name='xycury']http://pixar.wikia.com/Jeff_Gorvette

Voiced by Jeff Gordon, famous USA racer, so maybe Lego pandering to nascar kiddies?[/QUOTE]
This is pretty much what I thought, though I am not sure if that will translate to sales. Following that link it is sort of fascinating that the role and image of the car is that of regionally famous race car driver.

[quote name='ackbar7']This is pretty much what I thought, though I am not sure if that will translate to sales. Following that link it is sort of fascinating that the role and image of the car is that of regionally famous race car driver.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, thanks for the link. The little tid bit of history was interesting. I wonder if the special cameos are in the extras of the Blu-Ray.

[quote name='skiizim']Several trips and $500+ later boy am I tired, picked up a ton of presents and managed to squeeze in some Lego for myself.

Picked up 5 Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper Battle Packs, T*6 Jedi Shuttle, City Marina (70%), City Space Center, PoTC White Cap Bay (70%), Atlantis Anglar, Ninjago Ninja Shrine, Cars Macks Team Truck (Finally), Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ, Alien Conquest Jet Copter (70%), and Pharaohs Quest Golden Staff Guardian. Not Lego but related picked up Kree-o Optiumus Prime, Sentinel Prime, and MegaTron all 70% off.

I did see Lego City Fire Station 7208 for $40 and regret not picking it up, only seen it on clearance at one Target while the other ones had it on sale?!??!

Really good day for myself, wish some of you had better luck than me. ='([/QUOTE]

all @ Walmart or Target?

Woohoo - I got $17 in TRU Rewards to spend. Which overpriced set should I buy? ;)
Seriously though, are there any good sales running Friday/Saturday?

[quote name='Zepp-Head']Woohoo - I got $17 in TRU Rewards to spend. Which overpriced set should I buy? ;)
Seriously though, are there any good sales running Friday/Saturday?[/QUOTE]

Mine expire today and I'm stuck at home watching guys put in my new $7000 heat pump.

I know I should be waiting on the 70% mark, but I ended up getting the Pyramid today. Such a cool looking set, really happy to add it to my collection. Now, I just need to stay away from Targets for a few days...too much Lego I'm hiding in my car from my girlfriend's eyes...

[quote name='180husher']Mine expire today and I'm stuck at home watching guys put in my new $7000 heat pump.[/QUOTE]

the big price drops always coincide with blizzards for me.

I was talking to an old friend who happens to be a regional Target rep and was able to obtain more info. on these dealers/hoarders/scalpers whatever you want to call them. Apparently this is a very widespread business for at least one of the dealers. They park one of their huge trailers at every Target in their region on 2 Thursdays per year, one in late July for the summer clearance 50-70% markdown and one in January for the after-Christmas clearance 50-70% markdown. That's right: EVERY Target in their particular region (in my case, Utah/Idaho/?). Their teams spend thousands of dollars buying up as many of the hot and profitable toys and then deliver them all to one giant central warehouse. Then they mark them back up to retail price or higher and re-sell them online. And apparently they are not very nice fellows, often being rude to other customers and shouldering their way through the toy aisles. And yet Target does nothing to stop them or limit their quantities. Some stores even have overflow clearance in the back room that they wheel out on pallets for these dudes. Store employees don't even know what week the final markdowns are happening until that day usually, but somehow these guys know the exact week's Thursday to set up their trailers in the parking lot of every store. Makes me wonder if there is someone on the inside of the Target company who is working with the dealers and tipping them off. Or maybe they are just calling stores everyday and figuring it out, who knows.

[quote name='Zepp-Head']IMakes me wonder if there is someone on the inside of the Target company who is working with the dealers and tipping them off.[/QUOTE]

We need Adam Jensen!

Scored an Alien Defense HQ for 70% off on my lunch hour. This target had about a dozen Atlantis sets, but decided to pass.

I gotta cut down on some of my collection-- has anyone had luck selling bulk lots on Bricklink? I was thinking about listing a couple lots of like a dozen minifigs, but I don't know if anyone looks at unsorted lots on BL. Any other places besides eBay to sell them? Really don't want to have to go to eBay...

Craigslist perhaps?

Tomorrow I will be buying a complete copy of 8448 Super Street Sensation, 8437 Supercar and 8207 Dune Duster for 60...not sure if I'll keep either the Super car or the Super Street Sensation...one of them will be flipped for moolah but the other one stays with me. If anyone is interested, you're free to let me know.

[quote name='TheHelix']Anyone watch the Ninjago on cartoon network? Marketing potential galore![/QUOTE]

My kids love Ninjago on CN. It's why I've bought them a few sets.

anyone check the advent calendar at Wal-Mart recently? It was $20, but I was waiting for cheaper

also, like 4 of my targets still only had 50% legos. Most are empty though. I seen some cars2, Atlantis and ninjago

sorta off topic, but what do you guys do with your sets? Do you build them, then leave them displayed? Do you build them, take some apart and put it back sorted in the original box? Do you build, take some apart and then sort with all your other bricks in some form of organizational method? Right now I build some and have some displayed. The others are either still unopened, or I broke them apart, sorted them in ziplocks and put the pieces back in the original box and stored them. But I'm running out of space as these Lego boxes can get pretty big. Just wondering. I've seen online some guys have super nice setups with dedicated rooms for their bricks and a work area. I'm not as fortunate as these guys :)

[quote name='jbz']sorta off topic, but what do you guys do with your sets? Do you build them, then leave them displayed? Do you build them, take some apart and put it back sorted in the original box? Do you build, take some apart and then sort with all your other bricks in some form of organizational method? Right now I build some and have some displayed. The others are either still unopened, or I broke them apart, sorted them in ziplocks and put the pieces back in the original box and stored them. But I'm running out of space as these Lego boxes can get pretty big. Just wondering. I've seen online some guys have super nice setups with dedicated rooms for their bricks and a work area. I'm not as fortunate as these guys :)[/QUOTE]

I asked that not that long ago. Most said they build and display it. Go back a few pages.

I have a majority of the Star Wars Lego sets built and displayed right now (with stuff from 1999 to 2011, UCS, Technic, Mini, and System scales). Other than those, if I like a set, I usually keep it together, but I have many sets I've taken apart, or never built, which I use specifically for pieces. I also have several MOCs ranging in size from small vehicles to large space craft (pics can be seen here at Flickr. My photostream includes a variety of stuff I've built.)

I just started with LEGOs again last year and end up buying in spurts, so I don't have that many sets. Thus, I leave them built and displayed. If I keep this up, though, I might start dismantling the odd sets I have and just leave my Star Wars ones out.

I've been dropping by at my local Walmarts to see what clearance Legos are available. I figure some clearanced Legos might show up because these were returned Christmas gifts or were temporarily lost in the stockroom. I did manage to pick up Lego City Police Chase, Ninjago Ninja Ambush, Castle Blacksmith Attack, and some Creator Mini sets (Fire Truck, Plane, Sports Car, Dumper).

The cheapest Black Pearl is $74. I did see 1 POTC Isla de Muerta for ~$10 and picked that up. POTC WhiteCap Bay is $59, Cars Flo V8 Cafe is $45, and SW Turbo Tank is ~$90.

I swung by my local Goodwill. They must have had 10+ of th Lego Kingdoms Prison Carriage Rescue (7949) for $2.99 each. I decided to pick up 3. These were obvious Target salvage items because it had the red/white Target Clearance sticker tag of $5.48 (50% off MSRP).

I'm curious. How often do you spot Target salvage Legos at your local Goodwills/thrift stores?

[quote name='kk012']I'm curious. How often do you spot Target salvage Legos at your local Goodwills/thrift stores?[/QUOTE]
Never. My nearest GW and Target are probably too far apart for that sort of arrangement. That said, I never see Lego of any sort at GW.

I have not seen any Target sets at my Goodwills/Arc Thrift. I do see Lego at some of the thrift stores...shame they are usually horribly overpriced (insert gripe about the price of Lego at a certain pair of thrift stores in Denver).

For the love of...Lego needs to have another Luna Lovegood minifigure. It's really hard to justify paying that much for a single minifig!

In other news...those Technic sets I ended up picking up are all pretty cool. I can see why this Super Street Sensation is worth so much, it's a pretty nice looking car. The back flips down like a real convertible and it even has working gears! Like if you try to put it in reverse, the car won't really move forward! It only needs some electrical parts to be complete!

[quote name='kk012']I'm curious. How often do you spot Target salvage Legos at your local Goodwills/thrift stores?[/QUOTE]

I used to shop thrift stores alot, now not so much. I've seen LEGOs only a few times here in Utah. Undamaged and sealed Wampa Cave for $15 last year and several 7977 Seabed Striders for $8 each - only $2 off retail and their boxes were completely smashed - probably why they were salvaged even though being brand new in Target stores at the time. I also saw an opened Temple of Doom, but they were asking $60. I did however score some bulk brick bags full of vintage pieces and minifigures, even some knights from the rare 6075 yellow castle, but sadly no castle pieces. Got about 5 huge bags for $10 each.
Back when I lived in Washington, I had more sightings, but mostly with older sets and not necessarily Target salvage: 4723 Diagon Alley Shops sealed for ~$2 (bought) - a possible precursor to the "Friends" line? ;) Also an opened but surprisingly complete and working original Mindstorms 1.0 set for ~$20 (bought and flipped for a huge profit). I also saw a vintage "Universal Building Set" once, but the box looked beat up so I passed it and went looking at other stuff, then when I decided to go back and get it (or at least check out how complete it was) an old lady had it in her cart already. From then on I didn't hesitate when I saw LEGO at thrift. I later bought some space moon crater baseplates and some "complete in box" Paradisa and Pirate sets (and one had a bonus Pirates comic inside!). The only other vintage set I saw in a thrift shop was also already in someone's cart - it was some sort of 80's LEGOLAND Town set in a large old style box with the yellow sides. Damn! I said to myself.

I got my set of minifigures Series 6 at Fred Meyer yesterday. Yes! I'm done buying LEGO until the summer (I think). ;) My personal favorites that I picked up an extra of: Robot, Surgeon, Space Chick, Leprechaun, Alien, Bandito, Highlander, and Centurion. BTW, there was no coupon this time, but at least they aren't marked up over retail. 20% off home but it excluded toys. However I believe today starts a new coupon ad for those that are venturing out to search. Good luck!

[quote name='Zepp-Head']I got my set of minifigures Series 6 at Fred Meyer yesterday. Yes! I'm done buying LEGO until the summer (I think). ;) My personal favorites that I picked up an extra of: Robot, Surgeon, Space Chick, Leprechaun, Alien, Bandito, Highlander, and Centurion. BTW, there was no coupon this time, but at least they aren't marked up over retail. 20% off home but it excluded toys. However I believe today starts a new coupon ad for those that are venturing out to search. Good luck![/QUOTE]
You should return and rebuy if you can. Today starts b2g1 plus 10% off home items. I am hoping to get mine today.

[quote name='Zepp-Head']I got my set of minifigures Series 6 at Fred Meyer yesterday.[/QUOTE]
Me too! Then, this morning I went to Customer Service and got 1/3 of my money back.

I have an extra Slave I and Harry Potter Burrows set. I wouldn't mind trading them for any other extras someone may have snagged or are interested in trading with me for them. Send me a pm. Thanks.

[quote name='Martenee']I have an extra Slave I and Harry Potter Burrows set. I wouldn't mind trading them for any other extras someone may have snagged or are interested in trading with me for them. Send me a pm. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

PM sent. I've been searching for the HP Burrow. I have extras of the Hoth Wampa, Ninjago ice dragon, the yellow lego truck, several different small Kingdoms sets and a couple others if anyone wants to trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Fred Meyer hasn't even gotten series 6 yet. I am going to have to keep checking this week in the hopes I can pick some up this week. I guess this is the joy of having moved to a much smaller town.

Having a hard time deciding whether I want to pick up Hogwarts or City Marina. Both are on clearance for $35 at a Walmart near me. Anybody have any input?

[quote name='El Rey']Having a hard time deciding whether I want to pick up Hogwarts or City Marina. Both are on clearance for $35 at a Walmart near me. Anybody have any input?[/QUOTE]

The marina looks like a funner set. Hogswarts is more for roleplaying as the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back