LEGO Deals 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='180husher']Queen anne dropped to 50% off today at Target. Only set to hit the 50 mark.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the DPCI? If I can find it I may pick it up. I never see Lego hit 50% off here. Impatient dummies always scoop them up at 15% and 30% off. Not only that but Target has been marking Legos up $5 - $10 on older sets so you're not really getting all that much saving for clearance items.

I picked up a couple Thor polybags today at TRU. Saw all the new marked up Star Wars sets. They look sweet but I can't afford to get into a new line.

I considering buying a case of Series 4 minifigures online to keep the price low. I would like to gauge interest if anyone would want to buy some from me if I did. I'm thinking the price wouldn't be more than $3-$3.50 each depending on the final price of the case. The series 4 normally only comes with 2 complete sets (only 2 Mad Scientist) so 1 full set would be available. Nothing is set in stone but it's something I've been thinking about.

[quote name='El Rey']Do you have the DPCI? If I can find it I may pick it up. I never see Lego hit 50% off here. Impatient dummies always scoop them up at 15% and 30% off. Not only that but Target has been marking Legos up $5 - $10 on older sets so you're not really getting all that much saving for clearance items.

I picked up a couple Thor polybags today at TRU. Saw all the new marked up Star Wars sets. They look sweet but I can't afford to get into a new line.[/QUOTE]

Store Item Number (DPCI): 204-00-0469

[quote name='Maskim']Fred Meyer finally added some sets to clearance (like the PotC sets, so they could catch up to every other store, circa a couple months ago). This week they also have an additional 40% off all clearance stuff.

Picked up the Fountain of Youth set, so I could scavenge Black Beard for a Vampire Hunter D minifig, for around $8.[/QUOTE]
Picked up the Friends Vet for ~$19. Also saw the SW Bounty Hunter ship for $24, but passed.

[quote name='ackbar7']Picked up the Friends Vet for ~$19. Also saw the SW Bounty Hunter ship for $24, but passed.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for pointing out the Friends Vet set. I didn't even think to check out the aisle with the girl legos, and my daughter would probably love that set. I'll have to head back this weekend.

204-00-0469 is the only DPCI I've ever seen for QAR. I picked up 2 of them for some absurdly low price late last year/early this year when Target did the first POTC clearance. Only one store near me had them marked on clearance in the system at that time, down to $83.xx or so when I checked them the last time they were in stock.

Next time I went into that store, the price in the system for it was $39.xx :hot:, something definitely in the high $30's but I can't remember what exactly. Or maybe they were $41 or $42 and worked out to $39.xx after redcard discount. Eyes nearly popped out of my head. Of course there were none in stock but I simply went to another store literally a quarter mile away, bought two at full price $120 or $130 each, and did a return/rebuy "change payment" on them.

This go round, I've found a few of the better new-ish Star Wars sets on clearance, including the Pod Racer set at 50% off ($45..okay so it's not half off retail but half off the Target markup of $89.99) and the Ewoks set at $13.xx. Also found the Falcon on clearance, but nothing below $99 yet although I didn't do any price checks today. Some of the stores have all Star Wars still at MSRP, others have pretty much all the sets outside of the battle packs, X-Wing, TIE, and other latest sets, on clearance. The small packs are the most annoying with 15% or 30% discounts on pretty substantially marked up sets (HP forest ambush, POTC captain's cabin, I think most stores in LA have them at $14 each Target everyday price). Anyone seen the following sets for less at Target? (I rounded up by a buck or so on my prices, as IIRC Hogwarts was $89.xx etc.)

Hogwarts $90
POTC The Mill $25
Creator Lighthouse $25
Pod Racer $45
Darth Maul Sith ship $50
Millennium Falcon $100
City Marina $30
Creator Yellow Car $20
Creator Cabin $25
Dino HQ $60

Would love to get some Falcons and Hogwarts sets at sub 50% (or true 50% off, not Target price adjustment half off), as I'm sure everyone would...

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by TRU at lunch. Some older SW sets are 25% off. I picked up 2 sets of the Hoth Base finally, plus used a $5 reward (which wouldn't scan so they pulled out a $10 card from their drawer and scanned it instead - sweet), plus got 7 free Series 7 minifigures (1 for every $20 you spend). Overall it was a good deal despite the $5 set markup. I suppose Shop@Home might clearance the Base in December, but I didn't want to risk it selling out beforehand or having to fight with the website traffic that day. Other sets on sale: Republic Frigate, X-Wing, TIE, Droid Escape Pod, Falcon, maybe a few others.
While browsing LEGOs, I saw all the new summer SW sets. So freaking awesome! I assume the Jabba Palace is not actually $150 elsewhere. If it isn't too marked up, I might go back with my 20% off $75 coupon. This coupon does not apply to sale items so I couldn't use it on the Hoth Bases. EDIT: Holy Crap MSRP on the Palace is only $120! Screw you TRU!

[quote name='El Rey']

I picked up a couple Thor polybags today at TRU. Saw all the new marked up Star Wars sets. They look sweet but I can't afford to get into a new line.[/QUOTE]

The Thor polybags will be a giveaway with purchase next week

[quote name='prim4444']The Thor polybags will be a giveaway with purchase next week[/QUOTE]

Great! I thought I'd missed them. I really want Thor, but not enough to buy the more expensive Super Heroes sets he comes in.

Now if they'd just do a Princess Leea Bounty Hunter polybag I could save myself the purchase of Jabba's Palace.

Jabba's Palace, btw is $109 at Amazon. $40 less than TRU.

[quote name='grendel19']Is Thursday the typical clearance drop day for Target? I know it can vary. Most info I found said Wednesday but were from old threads.[/QUOTE]

I usually visit Targets on Thursdays during there clearance sale, I haven't been keeping up though. I got upset when I went when it first started and they marked a lot of stuff up above msrp and then started putting things on clearance.

Thanks for the quick responses. This summer clearance is the first time I've seen initial markdowns of only 15%. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Target's big summer markdown for toys has been the last Thursday in July for the past several years, so tomorrow would be a good day to check.

The only sets my Target still have on clearance are the AC sets that I already got my fill of from K-Mart's clearance sale, so I'm not expecting much...plus I can't make it to Target until Friday, so I doubt there will be much left for me when I go in terms of good deals.

In regards to Target clearance, has anyone seen the LEGO Dino HQ for 50% off or more? I recall seeing it in a few stores around here but I didn't think it was a clearance item

[quote name='etcrane']In regards to Target clearance, has anyone seen the LEGO Dino HQ for 50% off or more? I recall seeing it in a few stores around here but I didn't think it was a clearance item[/QUOTE]

I think I remember seeing it at one Target, but I believe it was 30, but then I went to the Target by my house today and they didn't have it on clearance, so it's really by store and how much extra inventory they have.

Dino HQ has been 30% max ($69.98). Most stores do not have it on clearance, at least in SoCal. Final summer toy clearance markdown starts tomorrow, although some stores lag and won't get it done until later tomorrow or even Friday. Best bet at this point given stores are wiped out of Lego clearance for the most part (even the Marina has been wiped out despite some stores having 50+ of it...at $35 "clearance"), is to find the stores with the lowest prices on the clearance sets you want starting tomorrow/Friday, whether they are in stock or not, then track down those sets still at full price, if applicable, at other locations, and attempt return/rebuys at the clearance store.

I've already bought up sets in anticipation and have had everything price adjusted down to 50% off except for Hogwarts, which held at all stores at $89.xx and the Millenium Falcon which held at $99.xx. And Dino HQ as already mentioned. But yeah the clearance sucked this year, at least for Lego. Target powers that be figured out they can get that inventory moved off the shelves with only the slightest clearance markdowns. I doubt I will see 70% off tomorrow let alone the glorious days of 75% off or more, at least on Legos, at Target.

In Atlanta, GA with the kids on a short family trip and we went to Legoland Discovery Center. It takes up most of the third floor of a really expensive mall...you know how car dealerships put cars in the malls to display, well this mall had a $240,000 Bentley in it! This place is no Legoland california. Probably worth the $12.50 admission and a couple of hours of distraction but not worth traveling to in my opinion. And the attached Lego store didn't have any deals either. Stopped at the Discover Mills Lego store on the way back and found a ton of damaged box deals including some of the new star wars sets. Ended up getting a passenger train for about $100.

Brickfair in Washington DC next weekend. Hopefully in can get the kids that weekend and spend an afternoon there.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']looks like the Spiderman Doc Ock set is starting to pop up, hoping to find one at the Lego store tomorrow[/QUOTE]

It was out at discover Mills mall in atlanta.

Speaking of MegaBloks. On a whim the other day I bought one of their blind Hello Kitty polybags. What can I say, I thought it would be funny to put Hello Kitty in a Helm's Deep diorama. The package showed a pretty decent looking Kitty fig. Why not, right?

Opened it up. Garbage. I should have expected it--MegaBloks--the plastic is cheap and chalky, the prints are blotchy/transparent/off kilter--not a single print (eyes, whiskers/bow etc) is good. It's horrible. Yes, it can stand on two LEGO studs, but it's cheaper looking than a Hello Kitty from a gum-ball machine.

0/10 stars.

That's right. I just reviewed a Hello Kitty MegaBloks polybag.

[quote name='elessar123']Don't get the MLP pony polybags either, not that it'd fit on studs. Well, I guess, technically, it still could, if you want little ponies.[/QUOTE]

MLP blind bags are pretty nice, especially the glitters. They reuse alot of the molds but series 2 if it is ever released will have some nice changes of pace in it.

Seeing all these Millennium Falcons on sale make me feel like a dope for rushing out and buying right away thinking it would fly off the shelves.

What criteria do you all use to predict if a set will be rare? If I think a set looks cool enough to sell fast, I usually buy 2 sets. One for my son to build and one to collect.

[quote name='fuerza']Seeing all these Millennium Falcons on sale make me feel like a dope for rushing out and buying right away thinking it would fly off the shelves.

What criteria do you all use to predict if a set will be rare? If I think a set looks cool enough to sell fast, I usually buy 2 sets. One for my son to build and one to collect.[/QUOTE]

If you want rarity in sets, obviously the super exclusive ones, i.e. comicon, club and member exclusives/lego anniversary/celebration are the best to build and retain value. Following that, they obviously produce less of the larger sets, UCS, "hard to find" type sets but that also varies. They obviously make a LOT of Millennium Falcons (versus other $100+/top size sets from other, less popular lines), but because of the size/cost of the set, there will be fewer buyers of higher price sets and thus make far less of them than they do of say the cheapest $10-ish battle pack and fig sets.

I don't think you'll go wrong buying multiples of any iteration of the Millennium Falcon (preferably at as good/steep a discount as possible), but because of its numerous reissues that will certainly apply downward pressure to the value of the regular ones (non-UCS) to varying degrees. But given its iconic status and popularity, it will always have appeal and demand among a broad spectrum of collectors, from Lego to Star Wars to film.

When it comes to Star Wars Lego sets, I focus on the key scenes and vehicles from the original trilogy first and foremost (Death Star, AT-AT, Millennium Falcon, Endor base battle/chicken walker AT-ST, Slave I/Boba Fett, X-Wing, Darth Vader TIE fighter, Tie fighters and bombers, Tatooine scenes/sets i.e. Jabba, land speeder, jawas etc., Dagobah/Yoda...) followed by prequel trilogy and then the clone war/non movie stuff. And store exclusives/hard to finds are particularly important to pay attention to, like any TRU, Target, or WalMart exclusives (though I believe these are always available at the Lego Store/Shop@Home also).

Been keeping an eye at Target on the Lego Star Wars Podracers set for a while. First it was only 15% off then it went down to $63, but I held out. Today finally it hit $45 and I couldn't resist. There was still one left after the one I bought. Then at another Target, I bought Hogwarts Castle for 50% off: only $65! There was also another one left. Pretty awesome finds. That's the lowest we can hope to pay for Legos. Hope everyone gets some clearance sets also at your local Targets.

[quote name='cassidyarch']Speaking of MegaBloks. On a whim the other day I bought one of their blind Hello Kitty polybags. What can I say, I thought it would be funny to put Hello Kitty in a Helm's Deep diorama. The package showed a pretty decent looking Kitty fig. Why not, right?

Opened it up. Garbage. I should have expected it--MegaBloks--the plastic is cheap and chalky, the prints are blotchy/transparent/off kilter--not a single print (eyes, whiskers/bow etc) is good. It's horrible. Yes, it can stand on two LEGO studs, but it's cheaper looking than a Hello Kitty from a gum-ball machine.

0/10 stars.

That's right. I just reviewed a Hello Kitty MegaBloks polybag.[/QUOTE]

Only Mega Bloks product I have ever had was a Halo Arctic Warthog, and it was beyond awful. The pieces just feel cheap, they don't seem to just naturally fit together like LEGOs, and the decals were awful. There were also pieces missing, which obviously can happen to any product, but it was just funny that it's happen once or twice with dozens and dozens of LEGO products, and it happened the first and only time I received a Mego Bloks products. I didn't even bother putting finishing it, and I stuffed it in a drawer where it remains to this day.

I picked up a star wars turbo tank 8098 today for $60 .. They had one more that I would be willing to pick up and trade for a republic frigate 7964

Speaking of Mega Bloks I think the TRU markup has achieved new heights...or lows depending on how you want to look at it. The Halo Rhino set MSRP $84.99. At TRU? $141.99.

Between today and yesterday I hit up nearly every Target in my area. Not a terrible haul. I wound up with

2 x Minotaur board games for $6.xx a piece, found a few stores with a lot of these
Heroica Walduck Forest $6.xx
Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship $24.xx (Quite awesome, I was plesently surprised)
Tripod Invader $9.xx
Alien Mothership $29.xx

I was hoping to find the Dino HQ pretty cheap, has heard that some stores had it as low as $30, only one Target in my area had it on clearance, and it was only 30% off, came out to $80, they had a couple, so I'm going to keep checking back, but there really wasn't a whole lot still out there. This haul was from a LOT of stores, and I only really got 1 item at each store I went to, there was that little left.

[quote name='wckddudeman']MLP blind bags are pretty nice, especially the glitters. They reuse alot of the molds but series 2 if it is ever released will have some nice changes of pace in it.[/QUOTE]

They're very inconsistent. I have some that have paint all over the place. And why is Fluttershy identical in wave 1 and wave 3?

I stopped by the Hermiston, OR Walmart today, where they had just about every single set red tagged for clearance! My hopes got up so high when I saw the Quinjet, Helms Deep, and the Millenium Falcon all red tagged. Then I noticed that they all had the same 'clearance' discount: 97 cents. Helms Deep down from 129.97 all the way to the rock bottom price of 129.00. Quinjet from 69.97 to the bare bones price of 69.00.
:roll:

There's literally only one thing worth doing with the Hello Kitty Mega Bloks...and this was only tempting when I found it on clearance for about 20 cents at K-mart:

HALOKitty.jpg

I've actually bought a single Helly Kitty Mega Bloks figure as well. I stuck it in the Lego toy shop to be a stuffed animal. Halo Kitty there is creeping me out...

[quote name='Kerig']There's literally only one thing worth doing with the Hello Kitty Mega Bloks...and this was only tempting when I found it on clearance for about 20 cents at K-mart:

HALOKitty.jpg
[/QUOTE]

BWAHAHA, pic saved. Too bad he/she's not holding the cupcake in his/her hand.

I tore up Target clearance. Half off or better on all the following (damn the Target MSRP markups though, making some of these actually 45-ish% off...though all prices before redcard) highlights:

Millennium Falcon ($69.98)
Hogwarts ($65.98)
Frigate ($59.98)
Pod Racers ($45.00)
Ewoks ($12.48)
Marina ($24.98)
POTC The Mill ($20.98)
Creator Cabin ($14.98)
Creator Lighthouse ($24.98)
Creator Cool Car (yellow) ($20.98)
POTC cabin and HP forest $5.xx each

Passed on all the Lego board games at half off and a few other miscellaneous overpriced sets (Lego town space van priced at "half off" at $12.49, I bought one on clearance from the exact same Target at the beginning of the year for $5.xx:roll:)

...and I know of a couple of stores that have the Dino HQ at $29.98, will work this week to get them price adjusted to that.

Oh yeah and I scored another Hogwarts complete in box (at least it appears to be complete, will rebuild it later) at a yard sale yesterday for $25.

EDIT: dang, I found a store that was wiped out but has most of the key sets at 70% off, including Pod Racers for $27.xx, Millennium Falcon for $43, Creator Forest House/Cabin for $11, Ewoks for $6, Destiny's Bounty for $24 etc. Will work on return/rebuys to maximize discounts...

I was naughty and stopped at Target on the way to work this morning. Among other non-Lego things, I noticed a literal pile of Lego City Satellite Launch Pad sets for roughly 50% off: $10.98. Seriously, they had an entire end-cap loaded up with maybe fifty of these sets.

[quote name='demonchylde']I was naughty and stopped at Target on the way to work this morning. Among other non-Lego things, I noticed a literal pile of Lego City Satellite Launch Pad sets for roughly 50% off: $10.98. Seriously, they had an entire end-cap loaded up with maybe fifty of these sets.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Hollywood store has a metric fuck-ton of them for the same price. Pretty much the only Lego clearance set still in stock in any greater than 1 quantity at any store, except for one store that has POTC The Mill at $20.xx and POTC Cannibals at $17.xx (would love to load up on cannibals, but not for more than $10-12 per that set...especially since I got a couple of that set in the last Target clearance round for ~$7 or $8). Like I said about the satellite van/launchpad, I got 'em for $5 or $6 each at the end of the year from the same store so "meh".

But I gave you the intel you need to score the big sets (Falcon, Dino HQ, and Destiny's Bount) for 70% off easily enough at the two locations in your hometown, D. So get to it.

This morning I got 1 Dino Defense HQ adjusted to $29.98 and 1 Millennium Falcon adjusted to $42.98!!! Also another Ewok Forest set adjusted to $5.98. Dino HQ is a bit "meh", I mean 700 pieces, if not for the TRex this would be a $60-70 set at best and that's being generous.

Here is my score so far (all pre 5% redcard discount and sales tax), at least what I can remember...been a busy week :D.

EDIT: got my stack of receipts right here, and completed all adjustments. It would be nice to get Hogwarts for 70% off, as well as the Sith Infiltrator, Marina, and POTC QAR and the Mill, but I can't complain.

204-00-0375 2x Hogwarts Castle $64.98 each
204-00-0402 1x Hogwarts Rooftop $15.98
204-00-1098 1x Millennium Falcon $42.98 :hot::hot::hot:
204-00-1170 1x Dino Defense HQ $29.98 :hot:
204-00-0281 1x Creator Lighthouse $14.63
204-00-1096 1x Pod Racers $27.00 :hot:
204-00-1094 1x Sith Infiltrator $35.00 (Hawthorne store was only one I found it on clearance, at 50% off)
204-00-1154 1x New Police Dog Truck/Gold Mine $10.48 (great deal on a new set, again only Hawthorne store found to have it on clearance)
204-00-1088 2x Ewok Endor Forest Attack $5.98 each
204-00-0916 2x Creator Cabin/Forest house $10.97 each (only found on clearance at Inglewood store)
204-00-0412 2x Creator Cool car $11.98 each
204-00-0352 1x Knight Bus $12.80 (still a ripoff IMO)
204-00-0116 2x City Marina $24.98 each
204-00-0512 1x POTC the Mill $20.98
204-00-1198 1x Ninjago Destiny's Bounty $23.98

I'm tempted to just buy up all the inventory at a couple of stores on sets that are on clearance elsewhere but full price at those stores, then attempt bulk return/rebuys at the clearance stores. If they deny me I will simply return the items to the clearance stores, and check back later in the day or the next morning to see if any were actually put out. I already have a couple of Black Pearls that I got late last year for $29.98, but one of the stores has it clearanced in the system at $36 and a couple of stores near me have 6 of them at $99.99. And it would be nice to get some more Falcons and Dino HQs at 70% off, another QAR at 50% off, another Pod Racer etc. And an army of Ewoks/scout troopers.

[quote name='karkyco']
I'm tempted to just buy up all the inventory at a couple of stores on sets that are on clearance elsewhere but full price at those stores, then attempt bulk return/rebuys at the clearance stores. [/QUOTE]

karkyco,

I looked at past threads but did not see an answer to the following question.

The return/rebuy strategy is interesting and something I haven't tried before. But how do you know which stores had the items marked as clearance if the items are no longer in stock?

Black Pearls are rare at Targets in my area but saw one today. It was still full price because most of the clearances discussed in this thread have not hit NE Ohio yet. I have six other Target stores within 30 minutes of my house that most likely do not have the set. Maybe they were marked as clearance and sold, maybe they just sold at full price.

How do I find out which store to return/rebuy to? Is this easy or does this take some sort of planning months in advance?

I'd like to get one for my son but I need atleast 50% off.
Thanks!

[quote name='juubei1i']karkyco,

I looked at past threads but did not see an answer to the following question.

The return/rebuy strategy is interesting and something I haven't tried before. But how do you know which stores had the items marked as clearance if the items are no longer in stock?

Black Pearls are rare at Targets in my area but saw one today. It was still full price because most of the clearances discussed in this thread have not hit NE Ohio yet. I have six other Target stores within 30 minutes of my house that most likely do not have the set. Maybe they were marked as clearance and sold, maybe they just sold at full price.

How do I find out which store to return/rebuy to? Is this easy or does this take some sort of planning months in advance?

I'd like to get one for my son but I need atleast 50% off.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

It doesn't take months of planning, just a few minutes actually to plan out the moves and make a few phone calls. You get better at these Target clearance shennanegans with practice and experience. I will be happy to answer any questions. Here's a bit of a long winded explanation/steps on how to perform these sort of things. Long story short and to answer your initial question of "how do you know which stores had the items marked as clearance if the items are no longer in stock?", you use the online DPCI inventory checker and call the stores, asking for pricing on the DPCI(s) in question.

First off, let's take the example of the Black Pearl, IIRC the Target DPCI for it is 204-00-0522. Are you familiar with the CAG official Target clearance thread? It mainly covers videogame and electronics clearance, but it is also invaluable to researching and planning for anything at Target clearance or otherwise.

There is a link in that thread's first post to the Target DPCI inventory checker (if you are unfamiliar with this tool, you will note the DPCI at the end of the link; simply change this value to the DPCI item you are interested in...that link above is already set to 204-00-0522 for the Black Pearl...then hit return/enter, then enter your zip code or city/state and then hit go). This inventory checker is critical to figuring out which Target stores around you might have a particular clearance item in stock, and in situations like this, which stores *might* have clearanced them out yet still have it in the system at a healthy discount, versus which ones still have it in stock, most likely at full price.

Now, when the list of stores around you is returned, the only values should be "Available", "Limited Availability", "Out of Stock", or "Not Available". "Available" means there are more than 2 quantity of the item showing up as in stock in the system at that particular location (either in the stockroom or on the shelves - you can then use the price checkers in the stores themselves to tell you the locations of the inventory) . "Limited Availability" means there are 2 or less at the location (and usually you will be shit out of luck finding them), "Out of Stock" means that it's still in the system at that particular store but sold out at that location (which, with clearance items, usually means it was clearanced so it is worth it to call those stores and get a price check on that DPCI), and "Not Available" usually means it is out of the system at that store or never was in the system/never was available at that particular location, thus if you enter that DPCI in the price checker in that store it should return "Item Not Found".

Note that clearance items will eventually drop out of the system and return "Item Not Found", at that point your chances of a return/rebuy at that particular store are nil since Target policy is to take back the item and salvage it - it's HIGHLY unlikely the CSR will go about looking up the last known price on it and reselling it to you at that price. Though, if you happen to find such an item on the store shelf at that location, you *might* be able to get the employees to look up the last price (usually the best clearance discount in the cycle) and possibly give it to you at that price. Also, please note that the online inventory checker is not always accurate - there is no guarantee of its accuracy but generally it is correct.

Since you're only looking for one item, I would simply call around to all of the stores listed/located near you (you can click on the store names and get the contact numbers, locations etc.), hit 0 to get the operator and ask for guest services. When they pick up, politely tell them you have the DPCI number for an item you are looking for, and would like to get the price on it. They will almost always do this for you. If they subsequently tell you the item is sold out/unavailable, ask them to tell you what the price is/was on it. "Can you tell me how much it was?" Call around to all of the locations, at the very least any locations that do not list it as "Not Available" - meaning call all locations that have it as "Available, "Limited Availability", and "Out of Stock". Note the location(s) with the cheapest price (and quantities in stock, if applicable). Hopefully you will have one or more nearby with the lowest price, even better if it's still in stock there. I would only give the employee the DPCI number, not the name of the product. The less information you provide, the better. You obviously wouldn't want to tip someone off if their store is sitting on a clearance goldmine.

Then, assuming you can't find a location that has it both in stock and at the lowest clearance price (which would obviously be the preferred method of obtaining it as it would obviously not require a return/rebuy), simply go and buy it at full price at the location that has it in stock, preferably with any form of payment other than the one you would like to use for the final rebuy. I.e. if you want to ultimately purchase it on your Target Redcard for additional 5% savings, initially pay for it with cash or another credit card. This way it actually looks like you are merely attempting a good old change of payment, although sometimes I am so blatant in my arbitrage I just initially buy stuff with the redcard then rebuy it with same, but I digress.

Once purchased at full price, take the Lego set and the receipt to the location that has it on clearance. IMPORTANT: LEAVE IT IN THE CAR AND GO INTO THE STORE, FIND A PRICE CHECKER IN THE STORE AND VERIFY THE PRICE IN STORE FIRST, then once confirmed in store to be the expected lowest price or lower, go back out and get the Lego set and receipt, take them to customer service, and politely request to put it on a different card/change payment type.

They might need coaching/coaxing/cajoling here on how to do it if they have no clue or try to tell you something like "you have to do that within 24 hours of purchase/at the same store you bought it" - in this case you should suggest "is it possible to return it then rebuy it?" or "can I return it on that card/for cash, then rebuy it and pay for it with X?" If they tell you no, thank them grab the item and receipt and move on to another location or another attempt at this same location at a different time/day. If they return it, then subsequently discover it's on clearance at a lower price in the store and attempt to deny you in any way from repurchasing it, tell them you want to cancel/void/nullify the return transaction which they can and must do. Then, again, you can attempt it again at another location or at a later time at that location.

I've very rarely been denied, perhaps only a handful of times, 2-3% of the time at most. Usually the CSR is clueless/ignorant/indifferent and just chalks it up to the "item being on sale now" or recognizes it's on clearance and doesn't care or it's too late, as they've re-scanned it and I have my redcard ready and already swiped, transaction completed thank you have a nice day.

There are a rare few CSRs that know the actual store policy (no price adjustements on clearance, no return/rebuys on clearance), usualy these have appeared to me to be people who will be happy to return the item but refuse to resell it to you - instead they will hold it for themselves or their cohorts to get the clearance discount. If I encounter this, I simply have them undo the return transaction and deny them, after all there are dozens of locations all over LA County to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back