LEGO Deals 3

I guess the question is, did Nintendo learn from Lego, or did Lego learn from Nintendo on how to appropriately stock product customers want?
Lego learned from Nintendo.

However, and this is huge, LEGO actually, seriously has trouble producing 800 sets a year, each with special color pieces that need to be made. LEGO used to have 120 sets out at a time, and only make 50 or so sets a year, they would be produced for 2-3 years each. Now they make 800+ sets, the number continues to rise, and they only have so much time for each production run. It's why one year we didn't get a Friends Advent Calendar when Europe did, issues with quality control in China canceled most of them.

Unlike Nintendo which has at most 5 items (2DS, 3DS, XL, Switch, NES Classic) and you are telling me they couldn't make a few more NES things a week? Give me a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine being the guy in charge of making sure Lego produces the right pieces in the right colors for each set. That seems like a nightmare.

I can't imagine being the guy in charge of making sure Lego produces the right pieces in the right colors for each set. That seems like a nightmare.
It's all automated at the batch level. New pieces need their own effort but get planned out a year in advance in terms of manufacturing, development, and integration. Their meteoric rise to becoming a super wealthy company was the endless re branding of lego into themes that have mindshare and also the total mastery of supply chain. Any low production sets now are purely intentional because they aren't worth the effort to even monitor. They aren't a super big company so you have the same guy looking at allocating more resources to a dropping supply of batmobiles or girl scientists so it's not hard to figure out which one gets priority on getting refreshed and further support. Honestly, if the quality and interest of Dimensions hadn't dropped off so badly I'd think they would have stuck around for season 3 simply because it's so much cheaper for them to compete in that space.

It's all automated at the batch level. New pieces need their own effort but get planned out a year in advance in terms of manufacturing, development, and integration.

Yeah they check but it's all robots and Rubbermaid which is neat. But I'd like to know who came up with 'new' life vest piece? They all need to be fired.

If you can't make more Mars Rovers then don't make it in the first place! (Still pissed I never got one.)

Does anyone know how In Store pickup works with Walmart? If I order a set for pickup on the website, will they charge me what the actual clearance price is or do I have to do some kind of adjustment when I get there?

There's a few clearance sets at a store about 20 miles away and I don't want to take a risk driving up there and not finding it. I went to a store this morning that had a few sets listed in stock on Brickseek, that had nothing.

Does anyone know how In Store pickup works with Walmart? If I order a set for pickup on the website, will they charge me what the actual clearance price is or do I have to do some kind of adjustment when I get there?

There's a few clearance sets at a store about 20 miles away and I don't want to take a risk driving up there and not finding it. I went to a store this morning that had a few sets listed in stock on Brickseek, that had nothing.
If the walmart site lists the item as eligible for pick up today, the store has that item in stock and the price you pay when you pick it up will be adjusted to the clearance price. I think the employee needs to hit a button to ok that step but I have never had an issue.

If the item is listed as eligible for pickup in a few days, you will not be getting the clearance price on pick up. You could try a return re buy but that is YMMV.

Brickseek may show the item in stock but the Walmart.com pickup option is the important one to check

You will get charged the online price. Once you pick it up, you'll get an email letting you know the amount you are getting refunded. Takes at least 1 business day for the adjustment to go through.

Thanks. So as long as the store let's you pick up today, I should be fine. But you both had different experiences? You pay there or get refunded?

Thanks. So as long as the store let's you pick up today, I should be fine. But you both had different experiences? You pay there or get refunded?
If you pay with a credit card, you will get charged regular price and then refunded the difference to clearance price. However I think you can choose "Pay in Store" and should be charged the clearance price.

I don't bother with any of it, Walmart clearance is bullshit and the In Store Pickup is the worst I have ever experienced.

Walmart has put some effort into improving the store pick up process. Ever since they added the check in feature to the Walmart app, they've always had someone working the pick up counter. Before that, I could spend a good 15 minutes waiting for anyone to show up, and it would still take them another 10 minutes to find my order.

Heck, one of the stores has one side with dedicated store pickup parking spots.

Their inventory tracking is still crap. I'm moving out soon, and I need some large tubs to move all my sets. 

Placed 2 separate orders online, and both of the were cancelled. On one of the orders, I got an email saying the order was ready for pick up, followed by another saying I was getting a refund for returning my order. Then they left a voicemail saying the order was cancelled because they were out of stock.

BTW, I have not seen a Pay In Store option the last few times I've placed an store pickup order online.

I don't bother with any of it, Walmart clearance is bullshit and the In Store Pickup is the worst I have ever experienced.
It really depends on the store. My local Wal-Mart? Totally the worst. I actually vowed never to use store pickup again because of them. Disorganized, slow, and there are tons of employees streaming in and out of the area, none of whom help you even if store pickup is abandoned. One time, the only employee working store pickup just disappeared for 20 minutes.

But, there's a Wal-Mart on the way home from work. Even at their busiest, it has never taken more than five minutes. Even if there is no one at store pickup, another employee will ask and take care of it. They are consistently awesome. Not so much for clearance, though :(

Never knew that Walmart would refund the difference on clearance items purchased via store pickup. I could have scored some extra stuff that way in the past.

Also never knew that you could tell if the store really had something by whether it allowed same-day pickup.

The more you know.

Thanks for all of the input. I feel this weird rush chasing after these clearance Legos even though I don't have a real need for them.

I'm still debating why I want to pick up the Imperial Hovertank for $7 and the Battle on Takodona for $15. Neither set is particularly special, but that Chirrut and Kyo are tempting.

That store has had of other sets for really cheap and I'm also curious on what else they have. Then reality hits me and o realize that it's is 1 hour out of my way and 50 miles total round trip.

Gentlemen I call on your wisdom. There's a lady on facebook with "complete" Pirates Bounty and Black Pearl sets minus boxes. Anything I need to be looking for? Is there fakes of these? I have never bought a used Lego set beforeThanks.

Thanks for all of the input. I feel this weird rush chasing after these clearance Legos even though I don't have a real need for them.

I'm still debating why I want to pick up the Imperial Hovertank for $7 and the Battle on Takodona for $15. Neither set is particularly special, but that Chirrut and Kyo are tempting.

That store has had of other sets for really cheap and I'm also curious on what else they have. Then reality hits me and o realize that it's is 1 hour out of my way and 50 miles total round trip.
You want that Maz minifigure of course.

Hovertank is straight blah though. Boring to build, boring to look at. Chirrut minifig is disappointing. That set is for collectors only.

It really depends on the store. My local Wal-Mart? Totally the worst. I actually vowed never to use store pickup again because of them. Disorganized, slow, and there are tons of employees streaming in and out of the area, none of whom help you even if store pickup is abandoned. One time, the only employee working store pickup just disappeared for 20 minutes.

But, there's a Wal-Mart on the way home from work. Even at their busiest, it has never taken more than five minutes. Even if there is no one at store pickup, another employee will ask and take care of it. They are consistently awesome. Not so much for clearance, though :(
When Walmart had the Joker's Pimpcar for half off I did in store pick up to an out of my way store because the local ones suck. I never made it to the store, but even half off LEGO isn't worth the trouble.

You want that Maz minifigure of course.

Hovertank is straight blah though. Boring to build, boring to look at. Chirrut minifig is disappointing. That set is for collectors only.
It's the Kylo figure I really want. But for $7, I wouldn't mind that terrible looking Hovertank and Chirrut.

But I usually just buy clearance Legos and give them away as gifts for family or even friend's kids birthdays, etc.

I'm the same. It is to a price I like, $37 now. I really like the Rogue One sets.
The U-Wing was the biggest surprise for me. When I first saw it, I didn't think it was anything special. After I bought and built it, I realized that it was a gunship. Then I saw the movie and ended up loving the design.

The U-Wing was the biggest surprise for me. When I first saw it, I didn't think it was anything special. After I bought and built it, I realized that it was a gunship. Then I saw the movie and ended up loving the design.
Same. U-Wing ended up being my favorite of all of them, and it's the first one I bought.

There was a U Wing in a N64 game I think it was. Maybe RogueSquad. 

I always liked the U-Wing, I remember most here not being pleased. I think it's neat, but I'm not a huge Sta Wars fan.

Negative, the u wing and tie striker were created for rouge one. I guess we'll get some new special editions later on with the new ships implemented in episodes 4-6. =\

Don't get me wrong, the ships cool but doesn't fit imo. The ghost should have gotten more screen time!!!

TRU has Lego Batman Arkham Asylum for $120 today (usually $160). Probably the best price you'll see for it, considering it's exclusive to TRU and Lego Stores. Has over 1600 pieces.

The rest of the Lego Batman Movie sets are 20% off. They have the newer ones but already store-pickup only.

Negative, the u wing and tie striker were created for rouge one. I guess we'll get some new special editions later on with the new ships implemented in episodes 4-6. =\

Don't get me wrong, the ships cool but doesn't fit imo. The ghost should have gotten more screen time!!!
I swear there is a Star Wars game from 1995-2005 that hd a ship in it called the U-Wing that looked like a Cylon ship from the first BSG. :lol:

Picked up the ultimate batmobile, they gave away a bat pod poly bag. Never seen it, looked pretty cool.

Update:

Got the batwing for $50 at TRU

Just wondering what people's experience was with the Lego store and the BOGO vouchers for Legoland?

I'm going to FL in a few weeks and would like to pick up a few vouchers to save a few bucks. Will they give me a few if I buy larger items or are they going to make me do separate transactions?

Stopped by the Lego store during lunch. I bought a few little sets for my kids and the guy there just gave me a few coupons for Legoland. That will save me a few hundred.

Just wondering what people's experience was with the Lego store and the BOGO vouchers for Legoland?

I'm going to FL in a few weeks and would like to pick up a few vouchers to save a few bucks. Will they give me a few if I buy larger items or are they going to make me do separate transactions?
Pretty much every $3.99 polybag you see in stores has them on the back.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Too bad there aren't coupons for Disney and Universal. Paying for 4 days for those was a hit to the wallet.
Disney ended a lot of their discount programs to raise prices to lower the number of visitors. Universal has I think discounts when you buy online. Or you can check Costco and AAA.

They gave me 20% off $71.99, I told them I wanted to pm the online price of $89.99 but who am I to argue with them after I told them twice.

They are so damn stupid. TRU once gave me a $10 instead of a $1 and the cashier didn't understand me. Whatever, I'll take it for all the times they screwed me over.

I really want the Batjet, but the lack of figures makes me only want it for $55.

Brickset has the Euro prices for the NinjaGo sets. I like the prices for what we have seen and the part count.

• 10739 Shark Attack - 19.99€ - 108 pieces JUNIORS
  • 70606 Spinjitzu Training - 9.99€ - 109 pieces
  • 70607 Ninjago City Chase - 19.99€ - 233 pieces
  • 70608 Master Falls - 29.99€ - 312 pieces
  • 70609 Manta Ray Bomber - 29.99€ - 341 pieces
  • 70611 Water Strider - 39.99€ - 494 pieces
  • 70612 Green Ninja Mech Dragon - 49.99€ - 544 pieces
  • 70613 Garma Mecha Man - 59.99€ - 747 pieces
  • 70614 Lightning Jet - 59.99€ - 877 pieces
  • 70615 Fire Mech - 69.99€ - 942 pieces
  • 70617 Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon - 99.99€ - 1404 pieces
  • 70618 Destiny's Bounty - 169.99€ - 2295 pieces

Did you use Fast pass at all?
Fast Pass is a must for the popular rides. TBH, not sure I like the idea of it though b/c it makes you wait for absurd amounts of time in stand-by lines while Fast Passers jump ahead of you.

The new Flight of the Avatar ride at Pandora in Animal Kingdom is amazing. Highly recommend getting a Fast Pass for that one as it's a 2-3 hour wait in stand-by. Even with my Fast Pass, it was a 30-40 minute wait (i.e. eternity for my kids).

If you're going to go, download the My Disney Experience app. It shows the live wait times for each ride which helps you figure out where to use your Fast Passes (you get 3 per day but they must be used at a single park....after those 3 are used, you can book 1 at a time for the rest of the day at any park).

Keep in mind, if you already have admission, you can reserve FastPass times up to 30 days in advance (60 if you've reserved a room at a Disney resort). Same-day will be disappointing for the popular attractions if it is a busy day. Table service dining in the parks is similar (especially character dining), but you don't need your admission pre-purchased for those and can go six months out.

One thing they don't really advertise is the shopping app. If you are looking for specific souvenirs (characters, clothing size, etc.), you can use the app not just to order things online to be shipped home, but also to find the stores that have what you are looking for. Some items are limited to specific parks/stores/inventory and cannot be shipped, but they might be available to be picked up at the exit if you don't want to backtrack to the other side of the park. Note this does not apply to third party stores like most of the merchants in Disney Springs, such as the LEGO Store.

Keep in mind, if you already have admission, you can reserve FastPass times up to 30 days in advance (60 if you've reserved a room at a Disney resort). Same-day will be disappointing for the popular attractions if it is a busy day. Table service dining in the parks is similar (especially character dining), but you don't need your admission pre-purchased for those and can go six months out.

One thing they don't really advertise is the shopping app. If you are looking for specific souvenirs (characters, clothing size, etc.), you can use the app not just to order things online to be shipped home, but also to find the stores that have what you are looking for. Some items are limited to specific parks/stores/inventory and cannot be shipped, but they might be available to be picked up at the exit if you don't want to backtrack to the other side of the park. Note this does not apply to third party stores like most of the merchants in Disney Springs, such as the LEGO Store.
Had never heard of the shopping app before. Thanks for the heads up. The parks are full of so much themed merchandise that finding what you want or even seeing what all is available is difficult. Last went in 2015 and the fast pass app was essential.

bread's done
Back